Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars ...is the franchise a joke now?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars ...is it a joke now?
Yes
40.00%
No
37.14%
What are you high?
22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars ...is the franchise a joke now?

Old 01-25-14, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Wars ...is the franchise a joke now?

I bet you it will be called
Star Wars: Episode VII: The Stars of Peace
Old 01-25-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duff beer
You mean it will be a ripoff of Star Trek 6?
Old 01-25-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Yup. That was Battle for Endor, The first one was Caravan of Courage. You can actually pick up the 2 movie dvd disc.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Ewok...van+of+Courage

DAMN. 90.00$ now, I think I picked it up from amazon when it was 10 bucks.

You should check your local FYE, I found mine there for 15 bucks I think?
Old 01-25-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Ewok films may have been a pre-prequel low point for the franchise, but thanks to them, Wilford Brimley will forever own a place in the Star Wars universe.

Old 01-25-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dugan
Abrams ALREADY ripped off Nicholas Meyer.
Old 01-27-14, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt
The Ewok films may have been a pre-prequel low point for the franchise, but thanks to them, Wilford Brimley will forever own a place in the Star Wars universe.

I don't know if I should make an oatmeal reference, or a diabetes one.
Old 01-27-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by duff beer
Originally Posted by dugan
Sounds more like a ripoff of Superman IV: The Quest For Peace.
Old 01-27-14, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

Episode VII could simply be a bizarre Andy Warhol experimental film where George Lucas squeezes out a deuce into a paper sack. Fans would be outraged and whine on the internet. But, they'd line up again and again. And when the Blu ray comes out they'll have it pre-ordered along with the special 3-D edition, the 4K mastered edition, and 3-D 4K mastered edition.

The Star Wars franchise isn't a joke, the Star Wars fan base is.
Old 01-27-14, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Episode VII could simply be a bizarre Andy Warhol experimental film where George Lucas squeezes out a deuce into a paper sack. Fans would be outraged and whine on the internet. But, they'd line up again and again. And when the Blu ray comes out they'll have it pre-ordered along with the special 3-D edition, the 4K mastered edition, and 3-D 4K mastered edition.

Old 01-27-14, 08:30 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

The prequel trilogy wasn't great except for Episode III for me, but I would hardly call Star Wars a joke. Not everything about it intrigues me. I never had any interest in The Clone Wars series, but I wouldn't mind reading more of the Star Wars novels. I really enjoyed Shadows of the Empire. Since the last Star Wars movie was released nearly 10 years ago, it's not like Star Wars is oversaturated in our pop culture as of late.
Old 01-27-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Old 01-27-14, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Just skimming this thread but you folks are clearly and *massively* underestimating the EU materials, particularly the comics/graphic novels. I don't watch the movies nearly as much as I used to in my younger days, but I've been buying many of the graphic novel stories lately and my six year old is very much into Angry Birds Star Wars. And it's not just an app, but it also has its own ancillary merchandising.

Is part of it all just to make money? Sure, but it also keeps the world of Star Wars alive in the minds of kids, and there's plenty of much better stories in the novels and comics than even the best of the movies.
Old 01-27-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,947 Posts

I had no idea that Andy Warhol made scat films.
Old 01-27-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 589 Likes on 363 Posts

Star Wars a joke?

No, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 01-27-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 390 Likes on 315 Posts

Nothing will live up to the OT - nothing. We were introduced to a world of potential and we weren't inundated with propaganda soley to market the next toy, cookie jar or app. The PT may be good movies in their own right, but they'll never capture us like the OT did... but SW isn't a joke, our expectations are.
Old 01-27-14, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Nothing will live up to the OT - nothing. We were introduced to a world of potential and we weren't inundated with propaganda soley to market the next toy, cookie jar or app. The PT may be good movies in their own right, but they'll never capture us like the OT did... but SW isn't a joke, our expectations are.
Wait, what?
Old 01-28-14, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Ha. Remember when Star Wars fans lined up at toy stores to buy blindly Episode 1 action figures that they had no fucking clue who the characters even were?

Yeah, the fan base is the real joke with the franchise and as much as they bitch they'll keep feeding that monkey.
Old 01-28-14, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I don't know if I should make an oatmeal reference, or a diabetes one.
Be esoteric and make a Shannon Doherty reference.
Old 01-28-14, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Episode VII could simply be a bizarre Andy Warhol experimental film where George Lucas squeezes out a deuce into a paper sack. Fans would be outraged and whine on the internet. But, they'd line up again and again. And when the Blu ray comes out they'll have it pre-ordered along with the special 3-D edition, the 4K mastered edition, and 3-D 4K mastered edition. The Star Wars franchise isn't a joke, the Star Wars fan base is.
This is true, but beyond this, I don't think it's entirely just the fanbase. SW has enough brand recognition that people will go to see whatever comes out, sight unseen (I actually said exactly the same thing in another thread-if Darth Vader Takes a Shit came out tomorrow, people would pay to see it sight unseen.). And of course if a cartoon of any kind comes out, kids will want to see it in droves and drag their parents there for double the box office. Even if the fans are discerning (and of course many aren't), the general public isn't. I myself have gone well-past that point-I will pay for the remastered and restored OOT. That is ONLY Star Wars I will EVER spend a dime on. Should that come out (it won't), perhaps I'll return to the fandom and buy other stuff and be a fan again. Otherwise, I'm done, the straw has broken the camel's back for me. But for the rest of the population, it's probably a non-issue. They'll buy any Star Wars stuff sight unseen.
Old 01-28-14, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 798 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
And of course if a cartoon of any kind comes out, kids will want to see it in droves and drag their parents there for double the box office.
We already had one of those, it was called The Clone Wars. It didn't exactly do gangbusters business at the box office.
Old 01-28-14, 09:59 AM

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,182 Posts

I think he means any cartoon movie, period. I hear it all the time from parents of kids who are a little older than mine. They ended up paying big money to see big crap on the big screen because their kids see that a cartoon movie is out and they have no sense of discerning taste.

Trying to wrap my head around the point of this thread. Seems like a topic that's been talked to death so much. Couldn't it be asked of most anything whether it's a joke because of the way it's expanded / diluted / grabbed for cash? Or maybe it's because Star Wars has meant so much to so many that we keep returning to this question? If that's true, maybe we could all be more patient with someone else when they're frustrated with the way something that's important to them is going when we couldn't care less about that something.

Either way, I will see the new Star Wars movie.
Old 01-28-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
We already had one of those, it was called The Clone Wars. It didn't exactly do gangbusters business at the box office.
I bet it sold plenty of toys though. The Star Wars films are now the ancillary product, the merchandise is the main thing. Like most Hollywood films today.
Old 01-28-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
Wait, what?
With the exception of one really bad secondary character, they're not the horrible train wrecks everyone makes them out to be.
Old 01-28-14, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts

No, it's not a joke. Over saturated? I would buy that argument.
Old 01-28-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Trying to wrap my head around the point of this thread. Seems like a topic that's been talked to death so much. Couldn't it be asked of most anything whether it's a joke because of the way it's expanded / diluted / grabbed for cash? Or maybe it's because Star Wars has meant so much to so many that we keep returning to this question? If that's true, maybe we could all be more patient with someone else when they're frustrated with the way something that's important to them is going when we couldn't care less about that something.
I don't know why, but for some reason your post inspired this (some liberties taken with spelling)...

Are(2-D2) you seriously asking this question? If you click on any Star Wars thread, you land(o Calrissian) in the middle another discussion which is beating the topic to death(Star). This is another shit-storm(Trooper). Can't you see(3-PO) this is just redundant(Beru)?

Even if we have all the right answers, you will just argue we have Alderaan answers. It is just another screw job(ba the Hutt).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.