Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars ...is it a joke now?
Yes
40.00%
No
37.14%
What are you high?
22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars ...is the franchise a joke now?

Old 01-24-14, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Star Wars ...is the franchise a joke now?

The fact that a movie franchise that start almost FORTY years ago is still relevant now?

That's no joke!!!

Even if the quality has gone down, and is being saturated and parodied ad nauseum - consider that to be a testament to its relevance and longevity.

Now, if the first movie only grossed 32 dollars and change, THAT would be a joke, like BATTLEFIED: EARTH or CATWOMAN.
Old 01-24-14, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
It still astounds me HOW popular the Star Wars franchise since it really hasn't put out a great movie since Empire Strikes Back.

Now most movie franchises are profitable because of the name alone, and that spawns endless sequels, so I don't begrudge Star Wars for milking the cow. What boggles my mind is how fans continue to flock to it despite the supbar quality since 1983.

Return of the Jedi is when it started to tumble with the Ewoks & Luke/Leia sibling plot point, and continued on with the ridiculous Special Edition Changes with every new VHS/DVD/BluRay release, and we have all been down that road with whats wrong with the Prequels.

Now we have the Sequel Trilogy which will make a boat load of money too, along with possible spinoffs of Boba Fett and Han Solo? Maybe that Star Wars is just in the DNA of fans and that kind of blocks any objectivity or maybe just the name alone invokes hope of future projects?

All I know is that when the quality gets bad in most movie franchises, people usually bail in droves, but I have yet to see that happen with Star Wars.
It's not just the movies, it's the Star Wars universe. There have been decent video games, comics, books, Clone Wars has been enjoyed by many, still some cool toys, etc...
Old 01-24-14, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
can i be swayed otherwise?

so is the franchise doomed or already destined to become a pop culture joke because of this melding of classic brands?
I have no idea. Are you open to be swayed, otherwise?

I think in a this-or-that question, the "that" is supposed to be different from the "this." I think Star Wars will be just fine. People who like it like it and people who don't like it don't like it and that's fine.
Old 01-24-14, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton View Post
Wait... how the fuc....

Come on, man. Seriously?

You really think that Lucas is the reason why the star wars franchise is a shell of what it was in the 70's? Hahahhahahahaha. No, let's put it exactly who is to blame for how shitty the franchise

You suck that Boba Fett cock so much and bam, you lower the level to were we are now.
Yeah, for all of the complaining fans do, they continue to pay for tons of merchandise, that is no lie. I have divorced myself completely from anything Star Wars and will until the OOT comes out restored and remastered, which it never will. I'm done. But I'm sure that many fans who hate the prequels and such still pay for tons of stuff.

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
It still astounds me HOW popular the Star Wars franchise since it really hasn't put out a great movie since Empire Strikes Back.

Now most movie franchises are profitable because of the name alone, and that spawns endless sequels, so I don't begrudge Star Wars for milking the cow. What boggles my mind is how fans continue to flock to it despite the supbar quality since 1983.
Kids. Parents buy tons and tons and tons of toys and lunch boxes and backpacks and stuff for kids, who aren't as concerned with the subpar quality.

Return of the Jedi is when it started to tumble with the Ewoks & Luke/Leia sibling plot point, and continued on with the ridiculous Special Edition Changes with every new VHS/DVD/BluRay release, and we have all been down that road with whats wrong with the Prequels.
The fact that the BR is the best-selling ever shows that while there are many fans upset about the SEs, the average consumer doesn't care, and will simply buy them on vide and not give a damn, which is why the revisionism was allowed. It simply doesn't matter to most people.

Now we have the Sequel Trilogy which will make a boat load of money too, along with possible spinoffs of Boba Fett and Han Solo? Maybe that Star Wars is just in the DNA of fans and that kind of blocks any objectivity or maybe just the name alone invokes hope of future projects?
Like I said, it's probably largely kids and stuff who aren't all that discriminating.

All I know is that when the quality gets bad in most movie franchises, people usually bail in droves, but I have yet to see that happen with Star Wars.
The quality dropping in franchises has never stopped people from seeing most megabucks franchises. The POTC sequels were terrible, but the fourth was one of the highest-grossing movies ever made. The Transformers movies were horrendous, and Michael Bay is the most successful director in the world. Indy 4 rode the nostalgia train all the way to the bank.
Old 01-24-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
The quality dropping in franchises has never stopped people from seeing most megabucks franchises.
Old 01-24-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

why is THIS NOT A POLL????1!!?
Old 01-24-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually didn't mind the commercial. I chuckled when I first saw it.
Old 01-24-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

now, when Lucas was sparing in his use of the license (see little kid and the VW commercial, i believe) it is magical...
When was this? I'm not much of a fan of Star Wars, but it's been all over the place for the past 20+ years.

Is it a joke? Not really, maybe in your eyes. It's still incredibly popular, has the potential for a lot of cool stories, neat toys, decent video games, books, on and on and on. Not all of them are regarded as "good", but the fact that it's still around is pretty impressive.
Old 01-24-14, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
Indeed.

Is it just me or is there a certain undertone to this ad?
Old 01-24-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

now, when Lucas was sparing in his use of the license (see little kid and the VW commercial, i believe) it is magical...

Really?

Is Marvel a joke because they joined forces with Disney?
I don't think you are going to be swayed, is it worth trying?
Old 01-24-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
It's not just the movies, it's the Star Wars universe. There have been decent video games, comics, books, Clone Wars has been enjoyed by many, still some cool toys, etc...
Star wars Merchandise brought in over a billion dollars last year, it is Disney's second hottest line behind Disney Princesses. AND that was during a non-movie year.
Old 01-24-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Is it just me or is there a certain undertone to this ad?
I don't know, but it's giving me an uncomfortable furry vibe.
Old 01-24-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a furry con across the street from the retail store where I work, the building is full of them, it makes all of the other customers ask awkward questions.
Old 01-24-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Star wars Merchandise brought in over a billion dollars last year, it is Disney's second hottest line behind Disney Princesses. AND that was during a non-movie year.
Remember when a movie was a movie and it existed as a platform for filmmakers to tell a narrative storyline with a beginning, middle, and end and not as an industrial point? Yeah, neither do I, but apparently before Lucas, there was such a time .
Old 01-24-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember when a movie was a movie and it existed as a platform for filmmakers to tell a narrative storyline with a beginning, middle, and end and not as an industrial point? Yeah, neither do I, but apparently before Lucas, there was such a time .
lol true, but its about the kids and toys. Man when I was growing up my biggest excitement was getting the Millenium Falcon AND the AT&AT for my birthday.
Old 01-24-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-24-14, 02:03 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Then Planet of the Apes came along and ruined everything!!!
Old 01-24-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Is that from a live-action Ewok movie? I found out about them last night, and now I have a burning need to see them.
Old 01-24-14, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Is that from a live-action Ewok movie? I found out about them last night, and now I have a burning need to see them.
You just found out about Ewoks last night?
Old 01-24-14, 03:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

i just dunno. i still love love the original trilogy, but can't help feeling that the series is just a money-making joke...
Old 01-24-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

joke...
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means!

If it's a joke, what's the punchline?

I'd argue it has become over saturated and lost a coherent narrative, but I wouldn't say it's a joke.
Old 01-24-14, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Yup. That was Battle for Endor, The first one was Caravan of Courage. You can actually pick up the 2 movie dvd disc.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Ewok...van+of+Courage

DAMN. 90.00$ now, I think I picked it up from amazon when it was 10 bucks.

Old 01-24-14, 05:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means!

I'd argue it has become over saturated and lost a coherent narrative, but I wouldn't say it's a joke.
"i may not be a smart man, but i know what love is"
Old 01-25-14, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Ewoks (How does Wicket get from Endor to Bespin?)

Frank (What is R2-D2's father's name?)

Obi-Wan Pastrami (What is Ben Kenobi's favorite sandwich?)

Old 01-25-14, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The moment the franchise became a joke for me was Star Wars Angry Birds. I'll never lose my love for the original trilogy and admire bits of the prequels, but man, Angry Birds Han Solo? Screw THAT noise.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.