Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Whiplash (2014, D: Damien Chazelle) - Miles Teller & J.K. Simmons

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Whiplash (2014, D: Damien Chazelle) - Miles Teller & J.K. Simmons

Old 01-25-15, 01:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
re: Whiplash (2014, D: Damien Chazelle) - Miles Teller & J.K. Simmons

I would say this movie really took me by storm. it was unrelenting and exquisite.
Old 01-25-15, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting interview w/ Simmons told about the director of Whiplash assuring him not to worry about the musical aspects of the film & Simmons told him that he had majored in music theory or something similar (had experience conducting, etc.). Said it was great having the research done years ago.

Speaking of that, Simmons said that he doesn't spend much time "researching" roles anyway. He told a humorous anecdote about already being on the set of "The Ladykillers" and starting shooting when somebody (the director) mentioned something about the original. Simmons said that was the first time he knew that they were actually shooting a remake (of the classic starring Alec Guinness). He indicated that he felt pretty mortified.
Old 01-25-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Interesting interview w/ Simmons told about the director of Whiplash assuring him not to worry about the musical aspects of the film & Simmons told him that he had majored in music theory or something similar (had experience conducting, etc.). Said it was great having the research done years ago.

Speaking of that, Simmons said that he doesn't spend much time "researching" roles anyway. He told a humorous anecdote about already being on the set of "The Ladykillers" and starting shooting when somebody (the director) mentioned something about the original. Simmons said that was the first time he knew that they were actually shooting a remake (of the classic starring Alec Guinness). He indicated that he felt pretty mortified.
hah, at least those directors were the Coen bros.
Old 01-25-15, 06:15 PM
Banned

Funny quote from Simmons about playing "bad guys." Especially funny was his take on the compliments people gave him for "Oz."

CS: You sort of mentioned Fletcher as being in the “bad guy” role and some actors–Christoph Waltz in particular–he will never say that his character is a good or bad, because in everyone’s head they have “good” reasons for everything they’re doing. Do you have to just ignore all ethics and morals you’ve built in life to play a character like this?
Simmons: No, no, and I never think of a character as a bad guy while I’m doing it. You’re always coming at it from your character’s point of view with your character’s motives and objectives and desires, so I completely understand what Christoph Waltz is saying about the way to approach a character. I think we probably totally agree on that. If you go into a job saying “I get to play the bad guy” then you’re likely to be making a cardboard character, but at the end of the day, I’m just talking about the way people perceive the movie. I would have people come up to me when “Oz” was airing and they would go, “Really good show, I love you. You play the bad guy on ‘Oz’?” and I’m like “Are you kidding me? Everybody on that show is a bad guy. They’re all mother rapers and father rapers and murderers and drugdealers.” But at that point, I just considered that high praise.
Old 02-14-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not exactly sure why this film is highly praised. Great performances from Teller and Simmons, along with great music. But the two characters are so unlikeable that I don't get why so many people like this film.

Spoiler:
I'm glad Nicole didn't show up at the end. Andrew and Nicole's break up scene reminded me of the awkward beginning of The Social Network. Two protagonists obsessed with themselves leading to their dates running far away from them. Oddly enough, I loved The Social Network.

There's nothing wrong with striving for greatness, but I don't think Fletcher and Andrew went about it the right way.

Considering how many people love this movie, will I be insulted because I don't think this is a very good film? Would anyone here like to have a teacher like Fletcher? Would love to hear other people's opinion about the characters.
Old 02-14-15, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by the General
I'm not exactly sure why this film is highly praised. Great performances from Teller and Simmons, along with great music. But the two characters are so unlikeable that I don't get why so many people like this film.

Spoiler:
I'm glad Nicole didn't show up at the end. Andrew and Nicole's break up scene reminded me of the awkward beginning of The Social Network. Two protagonists obsessed with themselves leading to their dates running far away from them. Oddly enough, I loved The Social Network.

There's nothing wrong with striving for greatness, but I don't think Fletcher and Andrew went about it the right way.

Considering how many people love this movie, will I be insulted because I don't think this is a very good film? Would anyone here like to have a teacher like Fletcher? Would love to hear other people's opinion about the characters.
It's an acting movie with decent energy to it, so I get the love, but I also was in the more mixed group. It was good, but I didn't go all crazy over it. I didn't mind that the characters were unlikable, they were driven which was enough imo. But there simply isn't a lot to the movie, and what's there is good, not amazing.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-15-15 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-14-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I was blown away by the movie. Loved Simmons since Oz and Miles Tellar was a revelation. Even gives me a little hope for the fantastic Four. One of the best movies of the past year and Simmons will take Oscar. I actually think Tellar deserves some accolades.
Old 02-15-15, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the General
I do not care if they are not likeable. I am not look to be friends with them.

Also if anything, their unlikeability is an asset for this movie. They both play people who are completely driven by their goals, that is it! Especially Teller's character. How many people have you met in life who are social retards but are very driven at what they do? I think he portrayed that type of person to a tee and I like that the movie did not beat you over the head with it.

Also besides you not liking them, why else did you not like this movie? You seem to be ok with the story and admitted the music and acting was great. So what else?
Old 02-16-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved this. I'm a huge jazz fan so I enjoyed the music and subject matter, and I thought the execution here was great. I loved how focused it was; the romance subplot and elements of his family life were minimal and served their purpose. I lost my shit at the end when Andrew just takes control of the performance and launches into Caravan. Triumphant stuff.
Old 02-17-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by thebunk
I do not care if they are not likeable. I am not look to be friends with them.

Also if anything, their unlikeability is an asset for this movie. They both play people who are completely driven by their goals, that is it! Especially Teller's character. How many people have you met in life who are social retards but are very driven at what they do? I think he portrayed that type of person to a tee and I like that the movie did not beat you over the head with it.

Also besides you not liking them, why else did you not like this movie? You seem to be ok with the story and admitted the music and acting was great. So what else?
I'm not looking to be friends with them, either. There have been plenty of movies I highly enjoyed with unlikeable characters. With this one, I just have mixed feelings about. I don't feel the relationship between Andrew and Fletcher is very realistic.

I, like the other audience members at my screening, was in awe of the ending. The editing and cinematography were just fine. I think I'm going to give the film another visit in the future.
Old 02-18-15, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am looking forward to the Blu Ray release as it will contain the original short film (with Simmons and another actor as Andrew). they had to shoot it to get financing
Old 02-18-15, 08:57 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

^ $16.99 @ Amazon. just scooped it up. can't wait to see this one again...
Old 02-23-15, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WHIPLASH WAS ROBBED, ROBBED I TELL YA!

just had to throw that out there
Old 02-24-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool gung fu movie.
Old 02-25-15, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Just saw this. It's a good movie but man I really don't like Miles. He's a dick and reminds me a bit like January Jones. They can walk into a room and just suck the charisma right out of it. JK was great, though.

I felt bad for the girl but she got the last laugh
Spoiler:
and am glad they never went back to her after she moved on.
Old 02-26-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just saw this. It's a good movie but man I really don't like Miles. He's a dick and reminds me a bit like January Jones. They can walk into a room and just suck the charisma right out of it. JK was great, though.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
if this movie was made by a studio, the girl would've been shown walking into the concert hall at the end
Old 02-26-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Or...by the director himself:

Spoiler:
In the script, she was in the audience. It also noted agents scurrying and getting their phones out during Andrew's solo. Glad those weren't in the actual movie.
Old 02-26-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Or...by the director himself:

Spoiler:
In the script, she was in the audience. It also noted agents scurrying and getting their phones out during Andrew's solo. Glad those weren't in the actual movie.

Thank god they cut that out...I already had some issues with the plotting/events that seemed "written" instead of "real life", but the above would have ruined an otherwise pretty good film.
Old 02-26-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

All I can imagine is this

Old 02-26-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Spoiler:
One of the more refreshing things I've seen in a movie recently.
Old 02-26-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Absolutely loved the movie and both lead performances, however 1 part did annoy me.
Spoiler:
Don't you have to be 25 to rent a car?
Old 02-26-15, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Absolutely loved the movie and both lead performances, however 1 part did annoy me.
Spoiler:
Indeed. In California you do.
Old 02-26-15, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
"In New York, anyone over the age of 18 may rent a car, as long as they have a valid driver's license and insurance. Any extra costs for insuring you as a younger driver may be passed to you in the price of the rental itself as car rental companies are permitted to charge different rates depending on the age of the person renting the car."

http://www.carrentalexpress.com/trav...new-york-state
Old 02-26-15, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The more you know...thanks!
Old 03-05-15, 09:37 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Great movie, but where did that folder go? Only relevant answers please.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.