Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON (NWA Biopic) - 2015 D: F. Gary Gray

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON (NWA Biopic) - 2015 D: F. Gary Gray

Old 01-27-16, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Re: STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON (NWA Biopic) - 2015 D: F. Gary Gray

I am an upper middle-class, middle aged, white, self-sufficient, college educated man who is admittedly prejudiced against rap music. I am close-minded, presuming that all rap music is about killing cops, or raping hos, or gang-banging, or beating down whitey, or any of a number of other anti-social thug-based "gonna get mine from you, sucka!" selfish crap.

I admit that, like anyone who forms an opinion based on incomplete information, my thoughts about rap and rappers are likely horribly skewed and may not be representative of the true state of that industry. So I'm asking, honestly, is this movie the kind of thing that might open my eyes and give me ammo to question my prejudices against this entire genre of music and those who thrive within it.... or is this only going to reinforce my predisposed belief that it does, indeed, have no place in a civil society?
Old 01-27-16, 03:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
So I'm asking, honestly, is this movie the kind of thing that might open my eyes and give me ammo to question my prejudices against this entire genre of music and those who thrive within it.... or is this only going to reinforce my predisposed belief that it does, indeed, have no place in a civil society?
No. It's about some guys trying to make it in the music industry amid their lives in Compton. I thought it was a very good movie. Not great, but as good as some of the Best Picture nominees.
Old 01-27-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies
No. It's about some guys trying to make it in the music industry amid their lives in Compton. I thought it was a very good movie. Not great, but as good as some of the Best Picture nominees.
So... it won't change my opinion about rap because it isn't about rap?
Old 01-27-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

.... or is this only going to reinforce my predisposed belief that it does, indeed, have no place in a civil society?
Holy shit. Did I just travel back to 1955!
Old 01-27-16, 03:29 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

it's about a lot of things from a lot of view points.

like, if you already hate oranges and someone gave you a fruit salad, it probably won't make you hate oranges less, nor make you like them more.

(i hope that made sense; it does in my head)
Old 01-27-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay... well, I'm admitting that I hate oranges. Not because I've eaten one and think it's vile, but because of it's association with vile things like Florida and Anita Bryant and... uh... college football games in January in Miami.

(the analogy is breaking down right about here - but I'm hoping you get my point)

The question is whether my admitted irrational and unfounded-yet-still-profound prejudice against oranges would benefit from, or be exacerbated by, that fruit salad.
Old 01-27-16, 03:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It's about their lives. I don't think it was made to try and change the opinion of people who don't like it. If you don't like rap, so be it. But it's not a movie solely about rap music.
Old 01-27-16, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VHS?
Holy shit. Did I just travel back to 1955!
I you did you'd be, what, negative 25 years old?
Old 06-20-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Don't know if Kenbuzz ever decided to watch this film in the last five months, but I can tell you if you weren't a gangsta rap/hip-hop fan before, Straight Outta Compton won't change your mind. As people have already said, it's about the people involved, and not as much their music. In fact, my takeaway from the film is that they were kind phony. Although this could just be omissions from the script, but I never got the impression that the guys were true "gangstas". All you get for exposition is one drug deal from Eazy-E, and Ice Cube encountering Bloods on a bus. If they had a deeper criminal/gangbanging background, it wasn't depicted on screen. And when they were recording Boys in the Hood, they admitted to not knowing what a "6-4" is, or even owning a car at all.

However KB, if you want to see a movie about hip-hop music that appeals to the non fans like you and me, go see Hustle and Flow if you haven't already. I really enjoy that movie, as I felt the motivations of the pimp protagonist (of course, this is a totally fictional film so you're not bound by the true stories that the makers of SOC had to adhere to). I especially liked the creation of the music in that film, the recording process, and even the struggles of finding the right audio gear.
Old 06-20-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

This will be on HBO/HBO Now starting next month. I'll finally check it out.
Old 06-20-16, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Reminds me, I still haven't watched the director's cut yet. Btw, it's still disorientating for me to now see Universal movies on HBO (Which was always the home of WB and Fox films)