Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Director's Cut (S: Penn Jillette; D: Adam Rifkin)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 11:22 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I did a search and was surprised that no thread existed for this movie yet. It was funded through crowdsourcing, and sounds interesting.

www.makepennbad.com

Here's the premise:

Director's Cut is a darkly comedic thriller with a twist. It's two films in one. A suspense movie within a suspense movie.

Director’s commentaries on movies have been popular as DVD and Blu-Ray “extras” long enough that all movie-goers are familiar with the concept. In fact, movie fans have come to expect them from all of their favorite films and filmmakers. “Director’s Cut” utilizes this collective audience knowledge for a new kind of meta, multileveled plot. As "Director's Cut" begins, we find ourselves watching a taut cop thriller called "Knock Off". It's a creepy murder mystery in the vein of "Se7en" and “Silence of the Lambs”, about an older FBI agent and his gorgeous new partner working on a serial killer case where the murderer is mimicking well known killings of famous serial killers of the past. The movie has a great cast and and we learn from the commentary track that it was fully financed via crowdfunding. As the film plays out we hear the director’s constant commentary as VO over the scenes. He shares tidbits about the making of the movie, the crowdfunding process and stories about working with the actors. Especially the leading lady. In fact, the director seems strangely focused on his starlet. Fixated beyond what one might expect from a professional film director. It’s creepy. As the film continues to unfold we slowly start to realize that this voice is not the film's actual director at all, but that of an obsessed fan who thinks he’s the director. He's actually a psycho who is stalking and terrorizing the lead actress.

We start to see hidden, amateur hand held video of our actress edited into the movie. Shots taken from the side of the set without her knowledge. Shots following her home. We learn our stalker has gained access to our set by purchasing a role through one of the crowdfunding perks and is now near the real actors. One of his horrifying camcorder video sequences shows him actually kidnapping the lead actress. Now our villain has the actual actress, the object of his obsession, imprisoned in his home dungeon, where he's erected child quality sets from "Knock Off" and he makes her re shoot scenes she’d already done, but this time the way he wants them to play out. With him as her love interest. All the while the Director’s commentary keeps going, with that same calm and detached tone. As our starlet acts for her very life, we've gotta ask, will our leading lady ultimately fall prey to our psycho director's planned climactic conclusion, or will "Knock Off" have a happy ending…?
The film has been shot and they are in the editing stage now.

Also, my name is going to be in the credits, since I contributed to the funding. Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal.
Old 06-11-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Director's Cut (S: Penn Jillette; D: Adam Rifkin)

I kicked in during the funding drive. Looking forward to the final product...
Old 06-11-15, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I did a search and was surprised that no thread existed for this movie yet. It was funded through crowdsourcing, and sounds interesting.

www.makepennbad.com

Here's the premise:

The film has been shot and they are in the editing stage now.

Also, my name is going to be in the credits, since I contributed to the funding. Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal.
Yeah, so far the movie looks great. I backed it as well and got to hang out with Penn & Teller in their green room after a show for like 2 hours. It was one of the best nights of my life.

So far the movie looks great. It's sort of a high concept horror film so I hope it manages to get the feel right. It reminds me a lot of Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.

Old 06-11-15, 12:39 PM
Enormous Genitals

Awesome pic, Bob - and hanging out with Penn for a couple of hours must have rocked.
Old 06-11-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder what they'll call it in Germany, since "Das Boot" is already taken.
Old 06-11-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome pic, Bob - and hanging out with Penn for a couple of hours must have rocked.
His wife was super nice. Penn told a lot of stories from Celebrity Apprentice and how he fucked with the producers. I had no idea that the board meeting area, the reception, and the team rooms are all sets with fake walls the production team hides behind. I actually thought it was real parts of the building.

It was also a bit odd hearing Teller talk.
Old 06-13-15, 04:39 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Clever idea for a film.
Old 06-14-15, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds really interesting, and that pitch video was well done, since it shows his change in personality from light to dark gradually, and it's a bit disturbing, as a result.
Old 01-19-16, 12:52 AM
Enormous Genitals

Trailer for this movie is out - it's the featured film at the Slamdance Festival starting this weekend.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/director...er-1201683529/
Old 06-08-18, 07:55 AM
Enormous Genitals

This movie is now available by VOD on iTunes, etc. and the DVD/BD will be available soon. As one of the crowd funders I got a preview, and it's weird, crazy, kind of sweet at times, and a lot of fun.
Old 06-08-18, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

As one of the crowd funders I got a preview, and it's weird, crazy, kind of sweet at times, and a lot of fun.
Anxiously awaiting my crowdfunded copy to arrive....
Old 06-08-18, 10:56 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Clever idea for a film.
I take this back slightly. Isn’t this premise taken from those farcical Mr. Plinket Star Wars reviews? He’s a film critic, but his reviews keep getting interrupted by the hookers he has chained in the basement and such.
Old 06-08-18, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

This movie is now available by VOD on iTunes, etc. and the DVD/BD will be available soon. As one of the crowd funders I got a preview, and it's weird, crazy, kind of sweet at times, and a lot of fun.
I read an article for it on Dread Central watched the trailer and immediately went to the website and ordered the blu/dvd combo. Call me crazy but this looks like a lot of fun. I am really looking forward to hearing the commentary. The extra's alone on this will probably be worth it.

This is right up my alley.
Old 08-10-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I really thought this was well done and quite good. I have not made it though all the extra's as of yet but do not have buyers remorse at all for getting this. What a fascinating process this was for them to make. It was very interesting to see what it started as and how it ended up to what it became.

Also I saw Bandoman's name in the credits...
Old 08-10-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Wow...seeing that picture really puts into perspective how much healthier Penn is now compared to a few years ago. Night/day difference.
Old 08-10-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Also I saw Bandoman's name in the credits...
Did they put a large eggplant emoji next to his name?