Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 86th Academy Awards — 2014 Nominations Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The 86th Academy Awards — 2014 Nominations Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 11:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: The 86th Academy Awards — 2014 Nominations Discussion Thread

Skidoo
Old 01-16-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

While I get why "2 time Academy Award Nominee Jonah Hill" is funny, he did deserve both his nominations. Might want to start considering this guy a legit actor.
Old 01-16-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, he really didn't.

He was good in Moneyball, not great. Everyone seemed to think he was some undiscovered thesp just because he wasn't in a movie about dick-and-fart jokes.

I haven't seen Wolf yet, but I'm sure there were more deserving actors for a nom than him. The problem is, the Academy has such a myopic view of yearly cinema. Once certain films get on a roll, they all stay there.

I mean, the fact that Jennifer Lawrence was nominated - and will likely win - for her wretched performance in American Hustle is proof they just go with the expected flow.

Last edited by islandclaws; 01-16-14 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-16-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe your opinion will change after WofWS. I thought he was great in that movie, better than he was in Moneyball. With that said, I do agree that his performance in Moneyball was more on the "good" than "great" side but he didn't with the big prize, and I didn't think it was out of nowhere that he got nominated. That year wasn't exactly a great year for movies either.
Old 01-16-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
- Like last year with SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, AMERICAN HUSTLE gets nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and acting nominations in all four of the acting categories - Bale, Adams, Cooper, and Lawrence. I wonder if a director's movies have ever done that before in subsequent years? I'm guessing no.

- GRAVITY gets a cinematography nod, even though a huge chunk of that film was created on a computer...interesting.

- Tom Hanks and Robert Redford both snubbed, but there's no one on the current list I'm unhappy about. VERY happy to see Bale make it, I thought he gave the best performance in AMERICAN HUSTLE.

- Jonah Hill - TWO-time Academy Award nominee!

- THE LONE RANGER gets two nominations. Suck it, all you haters!

- THE BUTLER gets ZERO nominations - Thank God...I thought it was a horribly overrated movie.
And Lawrence probably deserves to win again. She was the best thing in AH
Old 01-16-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd give an award to Scarlett Johansen's voice from HER before giving it to Lawrence.
Old 01-16-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I'd give an award to Scarlett Johansen's voice from HER before giving it to Lawrence.
Interesting. Where do you live? Lawrence's performance was by far the most organic to the time and region that AH took place in. I thought she was fantastic.
Old 01-16-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, he really didn't.

He was good in Moneyball, not great. Everyone seemed to think he was some undiscovered thesp just because he wasn't in a movie about dick-and-fart jokes.

I haven't seen Wolf yet, but I'm sure there were more deserving actors for a nom than him. The problem is, the Academy has such a myopic view of yearly cinema. Once certain films get on a roll, they all stay there.

I mean, the fact that Jennifer Lawrence was nominated - and will likely win - for her wretched performance in American Hustle is proof they just go with the expected flow.
wretched? she was solid dude. i don't think she deserves it this year but it's a fairly weak category this year. i do agree with SJ deserving a nom for HER and Maria Bello shoud've been considered for PRISONERS.

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 01-16-14 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-16-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Nominating Meryl Streep every year is getting a bit ridiculous.
Old 01-16-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Interesting. Where do you live? Lawrence's performance was by far the most organic to the time and region that AH took place in. I thought she was fantastic.
No. Lawrence's performance was very put on and unrealistic (and that accent?). Hell after seeing Johansson in Don Jon she would have pulled the role in AH off much better. And, yes, she deserved a nomination for Her.

When will the Lawrence train end? The girl is good but worthy of another Oscar? Please. I blame her fans though. One of her fans actually claimed that Lawrence was the sole reason the Golden Globes got a large audience this year...
Old 01-16-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
@ THE BUTLER getting shut out.
Yeah. The movie guy on my local news radio was scandalized by this. He seemed to think it should have been right up there with the front runners with 10 nominations.

An interesting race in my opinion will be for the Best Supporting Actor trophy. I have to feel like Jared Leto should be the frontrunner. His performance was the sort of "brave" performance that Oscar voters go crazy for. Don't get me wrong, the nomination is totally deserved and if DBC gets any wins at all, it should be a statue for Leto.

But, then there is Fassbender. I have to think he is likely to get a bunch of votes. Also, Barkhad Abdi might actually get some substantial support as well (although, let's be honest, this is his one and only moment in the limelight).

I doubt Hill or Cooper have any real chance at all, even if Hill is more deserving this time than for Moneyball.
Old 01-16-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Re: Best Actress:

I think this may very well be Adams' year, winning as more of a total achievement as an actress Oscar rather than just specifically for AH. Her GG win will also give her a little extra momentum.

I doubt we will see Bullock or Streep back up there this year. I also doubt that Cate Blanchett would win for this performance. I suppose Dench is an X factor in all of this but I have not seen the film so I cannot comment.
Old 01-16-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Re: Best Actress:

I think this may very well be Adams' year, winning as more of a total achievement as an actress Oscar rather than just specifically for AH. Her GG win will also give her a little extra momentum.

I doubt we will see Bullock or Streep back up there this year. I also doubt that Cate Blanchett would win for this performance. I suppose Dench is an X factor in all of this but I have not seen the film so I cannot comment.
It'll be Cate Blanchett or Amy Adams. Though I do believe Cate B. is favored by a wide margin.
Old 01-16-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Inside Llewyn Davis is a time period and location that I am very interested in. Probably not so much for the average Academy member.

OLIVER!
Grrr.
Old 01-16-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114
Inside Llewyn Davis is a time period and location that I am very interested in. Probably not so much for the average Academy member.

Grrr.
1961 New York is probably an interesting time for a lot of them, maybe they just didn't like the movie as much as some of the others nominated. Happens.

Hell they nominated A Serious Man, and that's 1967 Minnesota. (Edit: But also very Jewish, so yeah, stereotypes!)
Old 01-16-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yet again, another reason to hate Christians.

And the Oscars, but I just hate Christians more.

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/...wfVKs7GqYv8.99
Old 01-16-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Yet again, another reason to hate Christians.

And the Oscars, but I just hate Christians more.

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/...wfVKs7GqYv8.99
Naw, that was an ass kissing nomination on behalf of members to Bruce Broughton.
Old 01-16-14, 01:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
Maria Bello shoud've been considered for PRISONERS.

And I liked Prisoners a lot.
Old 01-16-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnnysd
So Cal, but I'm from CT and the majority of my family lives in NYC. I understand the type of character she was there to play, but it made her over-the-top persona and scene chewing no less abrasive. This isn't a case where she did such a good job of playing a raging bitch that I'm confusing a dislike for the character with a dislike for the performance; I thought she was the weakest thing in the film next to Cooper.

Speaking of which, how the fuck did HE get nominated?

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
wretched? she was solid dude. i don't think she deserves it this year but it's a fairly weak category this year. i do agree with SJ deserving a nom for HER and Maria Bello shoud've been considered for PRISONERS.
Her sing-along to... what song was playing when she cleaned the house again? That scene killed me. She's a fine actress, but this is another typical case of "let's all hop on the Currently Hot Actress express and give her all the awards".
Old 01-16-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Four of the nominees for Best Pic have one-word titles: GRAVITY, HER, NEBRASKA and PHILOMENA. And one of the Best Animated film nominees: FROZEN.

How often has a film with a one-word title won Best Picture? Let's see if I can recall them off the top of my head:
WINGS
CIMARRON
REBECCA
CASABLANCA
HAMLET
GIGI
OLIVER!
PATTON
ROCKY
AMADEUS
PLATOON
UNFORGIVEN
ARGO

I'm sure I've forgotten a few, so there must be more.
HIGHLANDER - Best Movie Ever.
Old 01-16-14, 01:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All the performances in American Hustle were great. So much butthurt over a good movie. The mind boggles.
Old 01-16-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or proof that different people have different opinions.
Old 01-16-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Super X
Or proof that different people have different opinions.
Wrong!
Old 01-16-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
All the performances in American Hustle were great. So much butthurt over a good movie. The mind boggles.
I essentially agree. All performances in that movie were solid. Some a little more than others.
Old 01-16-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that Hugh Jackman deserved a nod for Prisoners, but I really can't argue with that list.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.