Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Old 01-14-14, 09:41 AM
  #1  
Suspended; also need updated email
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 16,564
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Rather than remake classic films and ruining them, why doesn't Hollywood remake films which had a good idea but weren't executed that well (maybe bad casting) and improve them ?

or remake movies which would really benefit from modern FX technology
Old 01-14-14, 09:44 AM
  #2  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 36,045
Likes: 0
Received 1,617 Likes on 1,119 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Because they're idiots. And are selling name recognition and a brand, not a story.
Old 01-14-14, 09:46 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 26,421
Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Why should they make a movie that won't be profitable? Is someone going to go to the investors and say, "We're going to remake Heaven's Gate, but this time you'll get a return on your investment!"

Or are they going to say, "Friday the Thirteenth makes money every time. We're looking for investors for a new one."
Old 01-14-14, 09:54 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 42,071
Received 426 Likes on 338 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Because you don't remake something that isn't a proven success.

And Oceans Eleven was an improvement over the rat pack edition. I also like True Grit (Coens) better than the Duke's, but I'm minority on that one.

Also, The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Fly have their version specific supporters.
Old 01-14-14, 09:55 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,063
Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Because a lot of the time the reason the film failed in the first place was because of the very ideas and formulas the studio thought was going to make it successful.
Old 01-14-14, 10:17 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 8,398
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Because a lot of the time the reason the film failed in the first place was because of the very ideas and formulas the studio thought was going to make it successful.
I disagree with this.
The failure is usually in the execution (and sometimes it's only the execution of the marketing of the film not the actual content).
There's almost no premise that can't be massaged into working well if you take the time to think about it and identify what was wrong or faulty about the first version.

But this is storytelling and studios aren't interested in telling entertaining stories so much as easing their marketing load by selling you brands you are probably already familiar with.
Old 01-14-14, 10:31 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,003
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Because studios don't want to go out of business.
Old 01-14-14, 10:39 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 8,398
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

They won't go out of business telling entertaining stories.
Part of the entertainment value is in discovering something new...even if it really isn't.
Much easier to me to remake a bad movie and make it compelling than to re-make a classic and make it feel vital.
Old 01-14-14, 11:27 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,113
Received 447 Likes on 362 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

It's show business NOT show art. It's all about the $$$$$
Old 01-14-14, 11:45 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 17,756
Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

I would guess that if you had the option of remaking something you know works vs. something that had problems the first go-round, you would go with the tried and true.
Old 01-14-14, 11:52 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,263
Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Do we really need a remake of Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness this early?
Old 01-14-14, 12:35 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8,852
Received 361 Likes on 284 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

I'd be perfectly OK if they remade some film adaptations of famous novels that ended up being misfires. The adaptations of Stephen King's novels alone could be vastly improved. But no, they end up remaking Carrie (twice!), one of the few times they got it right. I guess we can expect remakes of The Body (Stand by Me), Misery, and The Shawshank Redemption, but crapola like Apt Pupil or Graveyard Shift will have to remain with the one lousy version we have.
Old 01-14-14, 01:31 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,594
Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

It's all about the dosh with Hollywood, which is why I don't bother with most of that shit.
Old 01-14-14, 01:32 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wanma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit - Formerly known as Obi-Wan Jabroni
Posts: 11,634
Received 290 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Because it's much easier for stuidios to say "This made money last time, let's do it again" than it is for them to take a chance, especially on something that already failed once.
Old 01-14-14, 01:59 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

I would love to see a big-budget remake of "Plan 9 From Outer Space." Zombies are big right now, and a movie about an alien invasion that deliberately starts a zombie apocalypse in order to wipe out humans and take over the Earth could be gold.
Old 01-14-14, 02:09 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Relocated to Bot-Hell
Posts: 10,809
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Well there goes my "Ishtar" remake hopes.
Old 01-14-14, 02:38 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,132
Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

John Huston used to get asked all the time to do remakes of his hits, THE MALTESE FALCON and THE AFRICAN QUEEN. He would say no and then offer to remake his flop, THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN (1958), because he thought he could correct its flaws if he had the chance to do it over. But the suits would turn him down.
Old 01-14-14, 02:38 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 26,421
Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
I would love to see a big-budget remake of "Plan 9 From Outer Space." Zombies are big right now, and a movie about an alien invasion that deliberately starts a zombie apocalypse in order to wipe out humans and take over the Earth could be gold.
Oh hell yeah! Spend ten or twenty million dollars on CGI, and the flying saucers over Hollywood sequence would be great!
Old 01-14-14, 03:30 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,063
Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
I would love to see a big-budget remake of "Plan 9 From Outer Space." Zombies are big right now, and a movie about an alien invasion that deliberately starts a zombie apocalypse in order to wipe out humans and take over the Earth could be gold.

Bad idea. The charm of that film are it's flaws. It's like trying to remake The Room.
Old 01-14-14, 04:34 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,789
Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
I would love to see a big-budget remake of "Plan 9 From Outer Space." Zombies are big right now, and a movie about an alien invasion that deliberately starts a zombie apocalypse in order to wipe out humans and take over the Earth could be gold.
Old 01-14-14, 05:08 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 59,816
Received 540 Likes on 349 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Who says they haven't?

My favorite example is Dawn of the Dead 78 compared to the remake. The Remake got rid of a lot the shit parts of the original.

I keep hearing the recent True Grit was better than the original.
Old 01-14-14, 05:20 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Dawn of the Dead 78 compared to the remake. The Remake got rid of a lot the shit parts of the original.
Like the social commentary and the wit?
Old 01-14-14, 05:24 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 23,845
Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Too many easy blowjobs and coke (is there such a thing?).
Old 01-14-14, 05:58 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 59,816
Received 540 Likes on 349 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Like the social commentary and the wit?
But I already had that from the original. So I didn't need it in a remake.

I've always said that Remakes don't eliminate the original. This is why I don't get all butthurt like some of the Movie Fanboys do when a remake is announced. It often simply gives a different view.

Plus, one can and SHOULD always go back and check out the Original just for enrichment.
Old 01-15-14, 03:57 AM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Africa
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why doesn't Hollywood remake Flawed films and Improve them ?

Probably for many of the same reasons they are remaking just about everything that made a little moola:-

a) it's all about the money;
b) they are idiots;
c) the bloody bastards are too damned lazy to send anyone into the archive-dump that is original material.

Each time I see a remake is on the cards, I picture another 500 original scripts being unceremoniously dumped into a huge vault in a basement somewhere. And I would bet my pyjama bottoms that there are scripts there written on leftover bits of the Rosetta stone. Just gathering more dust. At least the rats are entertained...

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.