Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 11-01-23, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Received 1,080 Likes on 629 Posts
Re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Damn, it's almost like corporatizing and milking originally-counter-culture art doesn't work well and you need to focus on hiring people who love the characters, ideas, and possibilities of storytelling more than hitting a quarterly earnings target.
The following 3 users liked this post by IBJoel:
cultshock (11-01-23), Dan (11-01-23), Obi-Wanma (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts
Re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think the lack of a rudder is costing them a ton of money as well. Like She Hulk costing more than GoT has to be because of the endless reshoots, right? Same with something like Secret War. You don't see that money on screen. They have that egregious example about Ali being like the fourth most important character in Blade, which seems ridiculous. And then the cost of scrapping basically everything about the new Daredevil series because someone had wanted to make it a court drama.
I understand the "rudderless" notion, but I have to highly disagree (not with you fuji, but quoting you for context). SOMEBODY was authorizing things and making the terrible call of "we MUST have something ALWAYS." A high-level exec who does a shitty job does not mean it is rudderless.

As for fatigue, here is my unpopular opinion . . . I'm not fatigued; I'm fed up. While I would MUCH rather have something new every 4 to 6 months than a constant stream, my waning interest isn't fatigue. It is directly related to the declining quality. I would rather wait for something worthwhile.
The following 3 users liked this post by Abob Teff:
Dan (11-01-23), IBJoel (11-02-23), Obi-Wanma (11-02-23)
Old 11-01-23, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Glad this is happening. The MCU has been creatively bankrupt since the end of Endgame. They had no clear plan moving forward, only some vague ideas of where they wanted to go.

Marty was right.
Old 11-01-23, 08:08 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 255 Posts

After Endgame, my interest in superhero movies faded considerably. I relented somewhat with Eternals, enjoyed it enough, but it wasn't enough to re-ignite the superhero fervor that culminated with Endgame. I guess I'd call it superhero burnout, they all just seem so lackluster anymore. I guess that I've no interest in second string superheros, and the new movies made with tried and true superheros just sound like crapfests. I don't know, it just seems like the excitement for these has left the building.
Old 11-01-23, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 652 Likes on 502 Posts

I find the information about Blade troubling. I get they wanted to make a movie about the daughter (not that so green a character really warrants a movie), but that was a gross bait-and-switch way to go about it. Just make a good Blade movie, introduce her in a sequel, then spin her off.

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-04-23 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-01-23, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts

Just bring on some cool shit. The Nerdist guy makes way better predictions that donít come true. Time travel. Multiverse. X-Men. Carte Blanche of any director they want.

The new phase has had good moments sprinkled throughout. I think the last wow this is great moment was when Ultron found The Watcher in What If. Probably followed by the three Spider-Man thing.

Film is still a business. Marvel should be well into the black. But they spend so much, that it could turn on them quick. Itís really hard to get anyone to chase bad money with good money. Itís not a charity.
Old 11-01-23, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The schedule is getting pushed.

Captain America: Brave New World previously dated on 5/3/24 moves to 7/26/24

Thunderbolts previously dated on 7/26/24 moves to 12/20/24

Blade previously dated on 9/6/24 moves to 2/14/25

Untitled Deadpool Movie previously dated on 11/8/24 moves to 5/3/24

Fantastic Four previously dated on 2/14/25 moves to 5/2/25

Avengers: Kang Dynasty previously dated on 5/2/25 moves to 5/1/26

Avengers: Secret Wars previously dated 5/1/26 is now dated on 5/7/27
I wish they stop pushing these film dates back. Some of us aren't getting any younger and would like to live to see them.
Old 11-01-23, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I wish they stop pushing these film dates back. Some of us aren't getting any younger and would like to live to see them.
I think I still got time.

Old 11-01-23, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
After Endgame, my interest in superhero movies faded considerably. I relented somewhat with Eternals, enjoyed it enough, but it wasn't enough to re-ignite the superhero fervor that culminated with Endgame. I guess I'd call it superhero burnout, they all just seem so lackluster anymore. I guess that I've no interest in second string superheros, and the new movies made with tried and true superheros just sound like crapfests. I don't know, it just seems like the excitement for these has left the building.
They told a multi-part story over a decade and it reached a good end point. That's how fiction should work (if, ironically, not most superhero comics).
Old 11-02-23, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 401 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
As for fatigue, here is my unpopular opinion . . . I'm not fatigued; I'm fed up. While I would MUCH rather have something new every 4 to 6 months than a constant stream, my waning interest isn't fatigue. It is directly related to the declining quality. I would rather wait for something worthwhile.
I guess that's true for me as well. I still get excited for most projects, but I get disappointed more often than I'm used to. My excitement for Love & Thunder was big, but the movie was terrible, I was even more excited for Doctor Strange 2, but the movie was only mediocre. I was very excited for Secret Invasion, but the better episodes were mediocre at best, but some episodes didn't even amount to that.

One problem I have made out for me is the bumpy way they want to shoehorn in new characters for spin offs. Black Panther 2 had a many terrible options to find a solution who is going to be the next Black Panther and while I pretty sure, they setteled for the worst choice, it still could have worked, but don't shoehorn in Iron Heart. If the character warrants an own show or movie make an own show or movie, give her an end credit scene, like in the olden days of the MCU, but give me a Black Panther movie, that isn't advertising for a new project.
The following 3 users liked this post by Runaway:
Abob Teff (11-04-23), Brian T (11-02-23), tanman (11-07-23)
Old 11-02-23, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 648 Likes on 477 Posts

You could feel the momentum of all of the movies up to and including ENDGAME, working toward that big finish. Every movie played into one or more of the others, often beyond the post-credits scenes, and there was at least one down-to-earth, realistically drawn, political throughline in the IRON MAN and CAPTAIN AMERICA films - that whole "regulating superbeings" debate or whatever it was called. Iíve enjoyed all of the movies since ENDGAME, but I just donít feel like theyíre building to anything inevitable, important, even apocalyptic. I donít stream so I havenít seen the shows, but I have them all here on disc for later (yay Chinatown), but Iíve read what I needed to about them to Ďgetí aspects of this later run of movies. Even though I can see the whole multiverse thing taking shape as the Next Big Thing, the pieces falling into place so far just donít get me overly excited. It seems like thereís so much more homework this time around, and weíre already, what, five-ish movies along?

Also, I think they should replace Jonathan Majors with (a bulked up?) John David Washington and just carry on. Thereís a similar intensity, and the Kang character is swathed in so many special effects that a lot of people might not notice the swap if the performance is equally as good.

Last edited by Brian T; 11-03-23 at 03:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (11-04-23)
Old 11-02-23, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Has anyone read the recently released book MCU: The Reign of Marvel Studios by Joanna Robinson, Dave Gonzales, and Gavin Edwards?

I've only had a chance to poke through it read some juicy summaries of it online, but it's really fascinating what a complete mess the whole thing was behind-the-scenes from the very beginning.

I used to chide Lucasfilm for being a hot mess and not being able to produce content, and having that content be shitty when it does trickle out by comparing them to Feige and the MCU, but it looks like Marvel Studios might have been an even bigger clusterfuck than Lucasfilm, they just managed it better.

ETA: This book is discussed in the Variety article.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 11-02-23 at 06:57 AM.
Abob Teff (11-04-23)
Old 11-02-23, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
They told a multi-part story over a decade and it reached a good end point.
And that magical 11 year run can never be replicated. In fact, the originals in all of these franchises (SW, LOTR) could never be made today.(for a number of reasons) I think it's healthy for fans to come to that realization, appreciate what was created and look forward to new franchises and worlds that will come. As others have said, yes there can be some gems every now and then from these old franchises but they are the exception.

Last edited by Artman; 11-02-23 at 08:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Artman:
IBJoel (11-02-23), Why So Blu? (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Received 1,080 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
And that magical 11 year run can never be replicated. In fact, the originals in all of these franchises (SW, LOTR) could never be made today.(for a number of reasons) I think it's healthy for fans to come to that realization, appreciate what was created and look forward to new franchises and worlds that will come. As others have said, yes there can be some gems every now and then from these old franchises but they are the exception.
It also helps to remember that Hollywood is now making blockbusters with China, India, and LATAM in mind and even how younger generations have shifted within the US. So trying to appeal to all those demos leads to mixed results. Some good, some bad (the latter mostly resulting from execs demanding things be as sanitized as possible for censors and shallow attempts at catering).

Last edited by IBJoel; 11-02-23 at 10:03 AM.
Brian T (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,171 Likes on 913 Posts

Definitely agree that something has been missing post-Endgame. There have still been the occasional bright spots but the MCU isnít hitting like it once did.

They need new characters that really connect with audiences again. Hopefully the X-Men or Fantastic Four help fill some of the voids.
Old 11-02-23, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Marvel has been terrible since Endgame IMO, with a few bright spots and a mountain of mediocrity.

They might as well recast Kang. Quite frankly, I don't think Jonathan Majors is that good an actor. Thought he was terrible in Loki S1 and however long I made it into Quantumania.

I say, end the MCU. Wait a few years. Then reboot the universe as a series of D+ series/miniseries. Start with the FF, X-Men, Avengers, and Spider-Man, like the silver age. Build the MCU as serialized live-action adventures. Have your crossovers and big events but also keep things discreet as needed.

Also: set the whole thing in the 1960s, and have Alex Ross and Kurt Busiek run the thing.

Old 11-02-23, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,284 Likes on 2,110 Posts

Iíd be fine taking a few years off and then soft rebooting the franchise. 2+ movies a year for the last 15 years plus a handful of seriesí has led to a lot of burnout amongst fans.
Old 11-02-23, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,171 Likes on 913 Posts

If Marvel Studios/Disney would have let the MCU take like a five year hiatus at the end of Endgame and then come back it would have been a nice resting period for everyone. Instead they had to turn the dial up and release even more content.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
Abob Teff (11-04-23), GoldenJCJ (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,003 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Marvel has been terrible since Endgame IMO, with a few bright spots and a mountain of mediocrity.

They might as well recast Kang. Quite frankly, I don't think Jonathan Majors is that good an actor. Thought he was terrible in Loki S1 and however long I made it into Quantumania.

I say, end the MCU. Wait a few years. Then reboot the universe as a series of D+ series/miniseries. Start with the FF, X-Men, Avengers, and Spider-Man, like the silver age. Build the MCU as serialized live-action adventures. Have your crossovers and big events but also keep things discreet as needed.

Also: set the whole thing in the 1960s, and have Alex Ross and Kurt Busiek run the thing.
But they can't just do D+ series because Disney has learned that those things don't actually make anyone any money.

And Jonathan Majors is an incredible actor.
Old 11-02-23, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Has anyone read the recently released book MCU: The Reign of Marvel Studios by Joanna Robinson, Dave Gonzales, and Gavin Edwards?

I've only had a chance to poke through it read some juicy summaries of it online, but it's really fascinating what a complete mess the whole thing was behind-the-scenes from the very beginning.

I used to chide Lucasfilm for being a hot mess and not being able to produce content, and having that content be shitty when it does trickle out by comparing them to Feige and the MCU, but it looks like Marvel Studios might have been an even bigger clusterfuck than Lucasfilm, they just managed it better.

ETA: This book is discussed in the Variety article.
It makes sense if you look back at Phase One. They were simply throwing figurative darts blindly at the board, hoping something would hit the target. IM was an unexpected success whereas IM2 was a shitshow. Same for Thor versus Thor 2. In fact, in one of the DVD audio commentaries (it may have been for Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger or The Avengers) the filmmakers admit they had no arc in mind until after Thor was being made. That's when they decided to make the Tesseract into the main McGuffin and Thanos into the central villain.
Abob Teff (11-04-23)
Old 11-02-23, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
If Marvel Studios/Disney would have let the MCU take like a five year hiatus at the end of Endgame and then come back it would have been a nice resting period for everyone. Instead they had to turn the dial up and release even more content.
They should've had the Xmen or FF prepped to take over after Endgame, especially after they killed off Stark.

Other than NWH, we get a bunch of mediocre shit that no one wants to watch.

Old 11-02-23, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
They should've had the Xmen or FF prepped to take over after Endgame, especially after they killed off Stark.

Other than NWH, we get a bunch of mediocre shit that no one wants to watch.
Had Disney already acquired Fox by then?
Old 11-02-23, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 203 Posts

The sale went through about a month before Endgameís release.
Old 11-02-23, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nesbit
The sale went through about a month before Endgameís release.
Not enough time to have had something ready to go. However, they should have had some contingency treatments ready to be fleshed out into screenplays.
Old 11-02-23, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,003 Likes on 709 Posts

Or maybe they should have just made better movies. There's no reason whatsoever the projects they did have lined up couldn't have been good.
Abob Teff (11-04-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.