Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 03-25-23, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

You would think that someone that high up in the Hollywood food chain would have all of their ducks in a row before pursuing a project like that.

But, per the article, it sounds like she probably knew she was violating her contract with Disney, but didn't think she'd get called on it or face any consequences.
Old 03-25-23, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

I suspect Marvel needs the casual fan to create financial blockbusters... after Thor, Iron Man and the like are not the focus, the casual fan, like myself, just doesn't give a shit about Ant Man or fake Black Panther.
Old 03-25-23, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I suspect Marvel needs the casual fan to create financial blockbusters... after Thor, Iron Man and the like are not the focus, the casual fan, like myself, just doesn't give a shit about Ant Man or fake Black Panther.
I don't think the characters are the problem. If phase 4 had delivered quality movies even "boring" characters are interesting. That's what made the MCU into the MCU. After Love & Tunder, She-Hulk und Wakanda Forever I'm not surprised no one has confidence in the franchise.
Old 03-25-23, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Also Jonathan Majors (Kang) was arrested for domestic assault. Not the best week for Marvel.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...on-1235360852/
Old 03-25-23, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Also Jonathan Majors (Kang) was arrested for domestic assault. Not the best week for Marvel.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...on-1235360852/
If true and it sounds like it is, this is a disaster. Iíd say this is on par with Evans or Downey Jr doing something heinous mid Thanos arc.
Old 03-25-23, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

The actor was arrested on charges of strangulation, assault and harassment, according to the spokesperson.
Too bad Mads Mikkelsen has already played a prominent role in the MCU.
Old 03-26-23, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

If Disney fires Majors, they can always recast Kang. It’s not a big deal IMO.
Old 03-26-23, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
If Disney fires Majors, they can always recast Kang. Itís not a big deal IMO.
Shamier Anderson who plays "the tracker" in John Wick 4 should be waiting by the phone right about now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Deftones (03-26-23), DJariya (03-26-23)
Old 03-26-23, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Iíve seen people saying John Boyega should get the role and I can get behind that.
Old 03-26-23, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Oh lord, so whats the odds Marvel drops him?

4:44 PM PT -- Here's what allegedly happened in the lead-up to this. Per our law enforcement sources, police were told that the alleged victim is Majors' girlfriend -- and, according to her, they got into an argument while in a taxi returning home from a bar in Brooklyn.
Our sources say police were told the girlfriend saw another woman texting Majors, and she confronted him -- trying to sneak a peek at his phone. We're told the alleged victim/GF claims this got Majors mad, and that he allegedly grabbed her hand and allegedly slapped her.
We're also told the alleged victim claims he put his hands around her neck during this. Our sources say the woman was dropped off somewhere and that JM spent the night elsewhere. It appears the girlfriend went to police the following morning (Sat.) and reported a crime.

5:03 AM PT -- A judge released Majors without bail at his Saturday night arraignment in Manhattan Criminal Court. Prosecutors charged the actor with misdemeanor assault, aggravated harassment, attempted assault and harassment. Majors is due back in court in May.
Old 03-26-23, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I mean heís a good actor but itís not like weíre super deep into the Kang character yet. Itís early enough where he can be recast.
Old 03-26-23, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Iíve seen people saying John Boyega should get the role and I can get behind that.
Has he made up with Disney?
Old 03-26-23, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Yeah, I mean heís a good actor but itís not like weíre super deep into the Kang character yet. Itís early enough where he can be recast.
Just write him off as another variant.
Old 03-26-23, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

If the assault happened in a cab, then there will be video footage. It should be pretty clear, cut and dry.
Old 03-26-23, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I don't think the characters are the problem. If phase 4 had delivered quality movies even "boring" characters are interesting. That's what made the MCU into the MCU. After Love & Tunder, She-Hulk und Wakanda Forever I'm not surprised no one has confidence in the franchise.
Agree. I also think that the general public is getting tired of comic book based movies. They still do well enough to make profit, but they aren't the rage anymore.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-26-23)
Old 03-26-23, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I think Marvel fatigue in particular has set in. Just too many movies and shows. Add in that Phase 4 was very mixed overall.

After Endgame there either should have been a break or at least a slowdown rather than cranking things up. Make the new stuff seem special instead of just piling on more and more mediocre projects.
Old 03-26-23, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
If the assault happened in a cab, then there will be video footage. It should be pretty clear, cut and dry.
I think that's why they are confident that he will be exonerated. She probably attacked him first and he had to defend himself. The choking part doesn't look good though.

Old 03-26-23, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Yeah, I think Marvel fatigue in particular has set in. Just too many movies and shows. Add in that Phase 4 was very mixed overall.

After Endgame there either should have been a break or at least a slowdown rather than cranking things up. Make the new stuff seem special instead of just piling on more and more mediocre projects.
I read this a lot and Iím not convinced thatís the reason. Marvel peaked when these became must see movies because they were interconnected. They should have kept that intact instead of the one off pictures and tv shows.
Black Widow was like hitting a brick wall. A prequel movie about a deceased character. Itís not even a bad movie, it was just a bunch of years too late.
Old 03-26-23, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I read this a lot and Iím not convinced thatís the reason. Marvel peaked when these became must see movies because they were interconnected. They should have kept that intact instead of the one off pictures and tv shows.
Black Widow was like hitting a brick wall. A prequel movie about a deceased character. Itís not even a bad movie, it was just a bunch of years too late.
I just think they do too much now. Itís like multiple movies and shows a year. Itís just endless and they donít really feel special anymore. Itís just more content. It doesnít even feel like more than that anymore, itís just something to tick a box on how much output is being done to make Disney more money.
Old 03-26-23, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

From Twitter, it seems that Majors is known to have abusive behavior in the past. No specifics so not much to go on and can't be sure how much truth there is to that, but it would be bad for him if more specific stuff came out.
Old 03-26-23, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So it begins

The U.S. Army has pulled a Be All You Can Be ad campaign featuring Jonathan Majors following the actorís arrest on Saturday.

ďThe U.S. Army is aware of the arrest of Jonathan Majors and we are deeply concerned by the allegations surrounding his arrest,Ē Laura DeFrancisco, the public affairs chief for the Army Enterprise Marketing Office, said in a statement on Sunday. ďWhile Mr. Majors is innocent until proven guilty, prudence dictates that we pull our ads until the investigation into these allegations is complete.Ē
Old 03-26-23, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
So it begins
Interesting....

Maybe Disney will go the Johnny Depp route with this one instead of the Ezra Miller treatment.
Old 03-26-23, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

there is video footage from the vehicle where the alleged incident took place, witness testimony from the driver and onlookers and two written statements from the woman recanting the allegations.

All the evidence proves that Mr. Majors is entirely innocent and did not assault her whatsoever,Ē she said. ďUnfortunately, this incident came about because this woman was having an emotional crisis, for which she was taken to a hospital yesterday. The NYPD is required to make an arrest in these situations, and this is the only reason Mr. Majors was arrested. We expect these charges to be dropped soon.Ē
​​​​​​​
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/j...ce-1235564860/
Old 03-26-23, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Damn...

The Mouse sure does mobilize quickly

I guess they learned from the Depp situation.

Curious if they are going to silence some of his previous co-workers/ peers that have started coming out of the woodwork on social media.
Old 03-26-23, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I mean...it is possible that he is innocent.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.