Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 01-26-23, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Chloe Bennet has been feuding with some guy on twitter who was basically saying there's no way she'd ever share the screen with the bigger MCU actors, and she posted this:

Still not sure if she's just defending her acting or hinting at something more...
Old 01-26-23, 09:36 AM

Received 4,678 Likes on 3,168 Posts
Re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

There have been some pretty strong rumors she is coming back.
Old 01-26-23, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
There have been some pretty strong rumors she is coming back.
Yup, I think that's what prompted this Charles Murphy guy into ridiculing her in the first place.
Old 01-26-23, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 441 Posts

Charlie Murphy is a who is he guy right? I mean who who is he? Anyway?
Old 01-27-23, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Isn't he dead?
Old 01-27-23, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
Isn't he dead?
Who?
Old 01-27-23, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Who?
The "Charlie Murphy" I know and probably who jjcool is referring to is Eddie Murphy's brother, and he is dead.

I don't know who the "Charles Murphy" referenced above is either, and I don't care to find out.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Who?
Charlie Murphy.
Old 01-30-23, 01:51 PM

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Third base.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (03-23-23)
Old 02-14-23, 03:54 PM

Received 4,678 Likes on 3,168 Posts

Kevin Feige opens up about Phase 5, Kang, and the future of the MCU
Marvel’s top boss sits down for an exclusive deep dive with EW, teasing multiverses, mutants, and more.
https://ew.com/movies/kevin-feige-ma...ive-interview/
Old 03-11-23, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 500 Posts

Old 03-20-23, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Victoria Alonso has left Marvel. She is usually credited as Executive Producer on all Marvel productions and was Kevin Feige’s second in command if I’m not mistaken. Pretty big loss for them.

Old 03-20-23, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Pretty big loss for them.
Apparently, Disney or Marvel didn't think so.
Old 03-20-23, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It says she "was President of Physical, Post Production, VFX and Animation at the studio." Does this mean they'll go back to good VFX in the MCU films? Or will they double down on shitty VFX now that the only person to stand in their way is gone?
Old 03-20-23, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Yikes! I just saw a report that Alonso was pretty awful to the VFX artists, who are already struggling to keep up with the workload.

Old 03-20-23, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yikes! I just saw a report that Alonso was pretty awful to the VFX artists, who are already struggling to keep up with the workload.

https://twitter.com/__chrislee/statu...ROaaX6I5S_8l2Q

https://twitter.com/__chrislee/statu...ROaaX6I5S_8l2Q
Well, that answers my questions.
Old 03-22-23, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Looks like Alonso was fired by Disney.

Story mentions the problems going on with the VFX departments and the overwhelming amount of content they've had to deliver. But there wasn't a specific reason for her being fired.
Old 03-22-23, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

But there wasn't a specific reason for her being fired.
There were people who thought she wasn't fired? After a flop like Quantumania, someone has to take the fall.
Old 03-23-23, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
There were people who thought she wasn't fired? After a flop like Quantumania, someone has to take the fall.
Unpopular opinion / hot take ... Maybe it should be Feige?

Let's be real ... following the Thanos saga we have had a bunch of hot messes. We had a period of "wrap things up and toss people a bone" mixed with "throw this against the wall and see what happens" that came afterwards. Then one of the things I was most looking forward to: multiverse! The whole multiverse phase has failed to live up to even 1/10th of what it could be and the Kang Dynasty is not exactly off to a great start.

Hopefully the recent moves to get back to quality over quantity pay off, but I think it will take some time to clear the pipelines.

From the Variety article:

She has been honored by media watchdogs and visual effects communities alike and is about to publish a memoir about her corporate ascent, the aptly titled “Possibility Is Your Superpower” (which is still set for release at the Disney book label Hyperion Avenue).

One visual effects artist recently told Variety that the biggest issue for them was Marvel’s inability to provide clear guidelines.

“The show I was on really struggled because it was an established character whose powers they were reconceiving for the MCU,” the artist said on the condition of anonymity. Most complaints, they said, came down to one refrain: “Marvel doesn’t figure shit out beforehand.”

A different senior VFX artist threw cold water on the idea that Alonso would single out individual artists: “The idea of a very senior exec terrifying rank and file artists, per some reports, feels a bit off,” they told Variety. Above the line, three different up-and-coming Marvel actors agreed that Alonso was only a supportive force on set.

“She was the epitome of professional and knows her stuff,” said one former Disney film executive.
Always two sides ...

Last edited by Abob Teff; 03-23-23 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-23-23, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was also disappointed in what they did with Multiverse and now we’re going to be getting Changlings (Skrulls) introduced into it all.
So now anything that went bad or wrong can be excused as a Skrull did it.
Old 03-24-23, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

So now anything that went bad or wrong can be excused as a Skrull did it.
Just like the comics!

Old 03-24-23, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Just like the comics!
Yeah
🫤
Old 03-24-23, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Unpopular opinion / hot take ... Maybe it should be Feige?
Yeah, he's ultimately calling the shots. But, considering what's been going on next door at Lucasfilm for the past five or six years, I don't know how they could shitcan Feige before Kennedy. I think that the MCU can still be righted, maybe, but I think Star Wars is a lost cause.

The whole multiverse phase has failed to live up to even 1/10th of what it could be and the Kang Dynasty is not exactly off to a great start.
Yeah, it was really disappointing. Between Multiverse of Madness and No Way Home, they really dropped the ball.

At the risk of being accused of being angry that I didn't get the movie I wanted, just imagine how much better No Way Home would have been if it had Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, Sandman, Lizard, Electro, and Vulture forming the Sinister Six and teaming up against the three Peters instead of that corny "we have to redeem these villains" arc that ate up the second act. Almost would have made Norman killing Aunt May worth it.

And I'm also not a fan of the whole reality-altering thing that can become a crutch when they write themselves into a corner. They shouldn't have set up Peter as Iron Man Jr and outed him at the end of Far From Home if they eventually wanted him to be the lone, street level vigilante. It's just cheap when you have to have Dr. Strange cast a spell to get you of a poorly thought-out plot development. Don't let Pandora open up that box unless you absolutely sure you want whatever is going to come out of it into the world. Making Peter into Tony Stark's Robin in Civil War set the character on a certain path, and they really should have asked themselves if that was what they wanted the MCU's Spiderman to be before doing it.

And the Multiverse stuff didn't really click in Multiverse of Madness, either. While Patrick Stewart's Professor X was hyped up, having him be just a variant that we've never seen before was a big letdown.

Again, I think it would have better to have the Illuminati be a Multiversal body made up of the Professor X from the Fox X-Men films, Ioan Gruffudd from the Fox Fantastic Four films, and Anson Mount as the Black Bolt from the tv series; then have the remaining members be Iron Man, Black Panther, and Namor played by new actors. Maybe some big names in cameo spots? Tom Cruise as Tony Stark? Denzel Washington as T'Challa? Ian Anthony Dale as Namor? Like they are from projects that never got made.

As it was, the hyped-up Illuminati appearance was just a big nothingburger.

Both of these movies felt rushed and incomplete, like they filmed from an early draft without fully fleshing out what they wanted to accomplish.

Always two sides ...
Yeah, and they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. She might have gotten along smashingly with the actors while making life a living hell for the special effects artists. That's how a lot of workplaces are.
Old 03-24-23, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,349 Likes on 4,342 Posts

https://twitter.com/adambvary/status...371531267?s=20

Story mentions the problems going on with the VFX departments and the overwhelming amount of content they've had to deliver. But there wasn't a specific reason for her being fired.
She was fired for producing Argentina, 1985 for Amazon, not for anything Marvel-related!
Old 03-24-23, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,143 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Apparently, Disney or Marvel didn't think so.
If she had anything to do with Marvel's movie output over the last two years, I don't blame them.

EDITED - Just saw the above post. Well...appears they need to fire someone else as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.