Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 01-14-21, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

While it’s cool this also kinda cheapens Endgame. I get it- Multiverse and all the different things that can bring, but still. Especially coming so soon after the closing chapter of the Infinity Saga.

Interested in seeing what he does, but at the same time I kind of wish they’d leave the character and have some sense of closure on that chapter.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-15-21)
Old 01-14-21, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Mike86
While it’s cool this also kinda cheapens Endgame. I get it- Multiverse and all the different things that can bring, but still. Especially coming so soon after the closing chapter of the Infinity Saga.

Interested in seeing what he does, but at the same time I kind of wish they’d leave the character and have some sense of closure on that chapter.
It's still the Marvel Fake Death Universe and one perk of a multiverse is to bring back characters. In the event of having some box office bombs, I am pretty sure there will be a truck dumping money on Robert Downey, Jr. lawn.

I don't think the deaths of Endgame and Infinity War had very much emotional impact for the audience. The movies don't set the tone for connecting with the protagonists on an emotional level.
IBJoel (01-15-21)
Old 01-14-21, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I don't think the deaths of Endgame and Infinity War had very much emotional impact for the audience. The movies don't set the tone for connecting with the protagonists on an emotional level.
Not sure what type of audience you saw it with, but the audiences who i saw the movies with (and each had multiple viewings) had very strong emotional responses and it was clearly evident every time. In fact i never been to screenings where the audience had such an amazing response tk what they were seeing. These movies TOTALLY set the tone for the audience to connect on an emotional level. In fact i would say its one thing Marvel does really well and DC has been very hit and miss with.
Old 01-14-21, 05:52 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

IBJoel (01-15-21)
Old 01-14-21, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I kind of hope it turns out that he’s not returning. The only reason I thought it could be true is the source being Deadline, who are normally fairly reliable.
Old 01-14-21, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I kind of hope it turns out that he’s not returning. The only reason I thought it could be true is the source being Deadline, who are normally fairly reliable.
Tatiana Maslany also denied signing on to She Hulk. This is probably a case where a studio source leaked it when its not official yet and of course Evans has to play dumb.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
IBJoel (01-15-21), majorjoe23 (01-15-21)
Old 01-15-21, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
Not sure what type of audience you saw it with, but the audiences who i saw the movies with (and each had multiple viewings) had very strong emotional responses and it was clearly evident every time. In fact i never been to screenings where the audience had such an amazing response tk what they were seeing. These movies TOTALLY set the tone for the audience to connect on an emotional level. In fact i would say its one thing Marvel does really well and DC has been very hit and miss with.
I don't deny an emotional reaction, I felt sad myself for a second. But I do deny an emotional impact, the MCU is not Hachiko. Thor's meeting with is mother was very emotional and than she makes a joke about eating salad. That's the emotional range of the MCU in a nutshell.
IBJoel (01-15-21)
Old 01-15-21, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I don't deny an emotional reaction, I felt sad myself for a second. But I do deny an emotional impact, the MCU is not Hachiko. Thor's meeting with is mother was very emotional and than she makes a joke about eating salad. That's the emotional range of the MCU in a nutshell.
Yondu dying still hits me even after seeing GOG 2 a dozen times.
Old 01-15-21, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Yondu dying still hits me even after seeing GOG 2 a dozen times.
Like I said, the scenes itself are emotional, but it lasts for 10 seconds until the next joke, at least that's my impression.
Old 01-15-21, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Like I said, the scenes itself are emotional, but it lasts for 10 seconds until the next joke, at least that's my impression.
And I disagree.
Obi-Wanma (01-15-21)
Old 01-15-21, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Tatiana Maslany also denied signing on to She Hulk. This is probably a case where a studio source leaked it when its not official yet and of course Evans has to play dumb.
You’re probably right but wouldn’t it just be easier for Evans not to say anything at all rather than deny it only to confirm it a week later?
Old 01-15-21, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

I agree with this. I could list a dozen moments in the MCU movies that are emotional. I couldn’t tell you any that actually had an impact on me. Obviously, YMMV on this though.

To bring it back to news of Evans’ possible return as Cap, I do appreciate the fact that Endgame ended on a touching moment with no joke tacked on.
Old 01-15-21, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
You’re probably right but wouldn’t it just be easier for Evans not to say anything at all rather than deny it only to confirm it a week later?
Or he’s being facetious. Like how he jokingly acknowledged to tweeting a dick pick.

Basically, until Marvel actually announces anything themselves, nothing is official. Which is why, as mentioned, it was reported by the major trades that Maslany was in She-Hulk, Steinfeld was in Hawkeye, Jonathan Majors in Ant-Man, and denied it because they are told they can’t talk about anything until it’s announced. That’s happened plenty before. Jamie Foxx had to delete his IG post about coming back as Electro. Half of the time the movies they have in major pre-production and casting has been reported on, they don’t announce until production is actually beginning or until a major corporate event like the Investors Day.

Last edited by dex14; 01-15-21 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-15-21, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Toddarino
And I disagree.
Perhaps I'm dead inside
IBJoel (01-15-21)
Old 01-15-21, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I don't find the films very emotional because I feel that they're overly plot-driven, versus character or theme driven. There are of course exceptions, but I find that the interconnectedness, while definitely fun and engaging, hampers emotional impact. Not to mention that almost every story has the fate of the Earth/galaxy/universe hanging in the balance. I also find some characters simply overexposed. When the studio is saying "Oh, we've got this guy's movie coming, and she's going to be in the next one of this series..." I'm like, awesome, bring on the new characters, give me something fresh. I don't care that RDJ is playing the same too-cool-for-school ultimate hero for 10 movies (Iron Man 3 being an exception). By the time he died, I was just like OK, finally we can move on.

That said, I do like Captain America and I liked the conclusion to his story (even if it essentially betrays his character arc). The movies never examine complex problems or questions or actual injustices (Black Panther notwithstanding, which is my favorite MCU movie), so as a result they don't get me so invested. I'm excited for a cameo from him.

I do like the movies, though. They're just theme park rides to me.
Old 01-15-21, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Happy talking to Morgan Stark about getting cheeseburgers after her father's funeral is one of the most emotional moments I've seen in a movie in the last 10 years. Y'all ARE dead inside

Old 01-15-21, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Happy talking to Morgan Stark about getting cheeseburgers after her father's funeral is one of the most emotional moments I've seen in a movie in the last 10 years. Y'all ARE dead inside
When Happy told her he was going to get her all the cheeseburgers she wants, all I could think was “Not everyone needs to eat their feelings, Happy.”
IBJoel (01-15-21)
Old 01-15-21, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

It was Tony posthumously telling his daughter "I love you 3000" that really got to me.
Old 01-15-21, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
It was Tony posthumously telling his daughter "I love you 3000" that really got to me.
That and the cheeseburgers was a 1-2 punch.
Old 04-22-21, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Fans really need to stop with this shit.

Old 04-22-21, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Time to move on people. Time to move on.
IBJoel (04-23-21)
Old 04-23-21, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Fans really need to stop with this shit.
Doing these stunts only screws up chances of fans working on these projects in the future. Execs already don't want people who are "too attached" to IPs when they do adaptations and this stuff only proves reinforces that thought process
Red Hood (04-23-21)
Old 05-03-21, 09:30 AM

Old 05-03-21, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

The self importance of that trailer was more than a little nauseating.

​​​​​​​So was that an Avengers 4 logo (assuming they consider infinity war/endgame avengers 3) or a phase 4 logo at the end?
Why So Blu? (05-03-21)
Old 05-03-21, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
The self importance of that trailer was more than a little nauseating.

​​​​​​​So was that an Avengers 4 logo (assuming they consider infinity war/endgame avengers 3) or a phase 4 logo at the end?
No, it was the Fantastic Four logo.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.