Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 03-07-19, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,975 Likes on 2,030 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Make Reedus Danny Ketch instead of Blaze.
I could see them doing a “Spirits of Vengeance” thing where Reedus plays an older Johnny Blaze alonside a younger Danny ketch.
Old 03-10-19, 10:28 AM

Received 4,826 Likes on 3,267 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W7nFYKC1qQc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-10-19, 05:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I liked all of them except JCVD as Captain America. Just...no way. Can he even do an American accent?
Old 03-19-19, 07:00 PM

So, now that the acquisition of 21CFox is complete, what are your biggest hopes for the future of the MCU?

I am really in love with the idea of Krasinski/Blunt as Reed and Sue. I think Glen Powell would make a good Johnny. And maybe Billy Magnusson as Thing. He could probably pull off Johnny as well. Hopefully, we can finally see a great version of The Fantastic Four.

I hope they keep X-Men out for a bit. That needs some time to cool off. It is just too much to recast right now.
Old 03-19-19, 07:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Fantastic Four needs to go up first, I also liked the idea of Krasinski/Blunt jumping in. I would like to see X-Men back sometime soon though, even in a minor capacity to begin with. I would love to see Hugh Jackman reprise Wolverine one more time in the MCU universe.
Old 03-19-19, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Fantastic Four needs to go up first, I also liked the idea of Krasinski/Blunt jumping in. I would like to see X-Men back sometime soon though, even in a minor capacity to begin with. I would love to see Hugh Jackman reprise Wolverine one more time in the MCU universe.
After Logan, I feel like Jackman’s time is done. But I would love for them to incorporate him into the MCU in some other way. Like Jackman as a SHIELD agent.
Old 03-19-19, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23

After Logan, I feel like Jackman’s time is done. But I would love for them to incorporate him into the MCU in some other way. Like Jackman as a SHIELD agent.
Make him the OG Nick Fury and he can lead the Howling Commandos prior to Cap. Or after Cap's frozen in ice.
Old 03-19-19, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

I’d love it if they revealed him to be Nick Fury Sr.
Old 03-20-19, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 991 Posts

Dormammu will be the next big villain. They have some work to do to pump him up, but I remember reading something with Fiege saying that we have not seen the last of him.
Old 03-20-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 893 Likes on 577 Posts

I can’t wait to see a proper FF as well. Almost as much as that, I can’t wait for Dr. Doom to finally be utilized.
Old 03-20-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Watch the MCU Fantastic 4 end up being disliked too...
Old 03-20-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I can’t wait to see a proper FF as well. Almost as much as that, I can’t wait for Dr. Doom to finally be utilized.
This. 100x this.

Also, I'd like to see Galactus finally done right too.

In my mind though, Doom is the linch pin. He could be the architect of a dozen films worth of conflicts, while at the same time not necessarily featuring in those films.
Old 03-20-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,197 Likes on 930 Posts

Galactus feels like he could be the next Thanos level big bad someday. Doom definitely could be a key player too. I could see him in a role similar to Loki where he’s a recurring character for a number of films.
Old 03-20-19, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dr. Doom gets my vote. Love the idea as him being the thread.

I would personally rather see the X-Men contained in their own universe. It never made sense to me that some super heroes are beloved, but then you have these others guys who heroes too but due to natural mutation, and hence hunted down. Better off revisiting Inhumans for the MCU as x-men placeholders.
Old 03-20-19, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian T
Could be a Dark Universe that actually works out.
Will be awaiting the scene where Blade/Snipes meets GR and he says: "I coulda sworn I killed you in one of my movies already"
Old 03-20-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Galactus feels like he could be the next Thanos level big bad someday. Doom definitely could be a key player too. I could see him in a role similar to Loki where he’s a recurring character for a number of films.
With a better characterization of Silver Surfer. Or any of his heralds, really...
Old 04-08-19, 06:21 PM

After making 22 movies that tell one cohesive story, while grossing almost $20 billion worldwide along the way, what’s Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige doing next? The same thing all over again—with a whole new set of toys.

The April 26 release of Avengers: Endgame will bring closure to the first 11 years of Marvel Studios films. Then, in 2020, the company will start Phase Four of its Cinematic Universe, the next chapter of the larger story with new heroes, all of which will feel the impact of the events of the past. Plus, now that Disney has acquired 20th Century Fox, those stories could potentially include the X-Men. According to Feige, though, fans should not hold their breath for that.

“It’ll be a while,” Feige told io9 when asked about bringing the X-Men into the MCU. “It’s all just beginning and the five-year plan that we’ve been working on, we were working on before any of that was set. So really it’s much more, for us, less about specifics of when and where [the X-Men will appear] right now and more just the comfort factor and how nice it is that they’re home. That they’re all back. But it will be a very long time.”

That five-year plan is likely to start with movies such as Black Widow, The Eternals, Shang-Chi, and others. Unfortunately, on the list of topics Feige is unwilling to talk about in depth, Phase Four is even higher than Avengers: Endgame. The two things are seemingly too closely related, and any acknowledgment of the myriad of news out there about Phase Four could potentially ruin something in Endgame. Feige does think, though, that the new films are a worthy successor to the record-breaking first three phases of the MCU.

“The slate that we’re building over the next five years [is] not apples to apples,” he said when asked to compare the past and the future. “It is two very distinct things and I hope they’ll feel very distinct. But there is a similar mentality going into it, which is ‘How can we continue to tell stories with some of the characters that audiences already know and love in a unique way, in a different way, in surprising way, of which we have a lot of plans and ideas and work already going into it?’ [Then] ‘How can we introduce new characters that even hardcore fans, comic fans, have barely known or barely heard of.’ That’s really exciting too.”

If you read between those lines, movies such as Black Widow, Black Panther 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, and Doctor Strange 2 fit the first part, while films like The Eternals and Shang-Chi fit the second. What none of those films include, however, are the X-Men.

It’s important to remember, though, that while Feige is saying the X-Men aren’t going to be around for a while, Thanos was first introduced back in 2012, years before his full impact was felt. And when Marvel and Sony made a deal for Spider-Man, the entire course of Captain America: Civil War changed very quickly, at least in filmmaking terms. Marvel has been known to make wild pivots and long, downfield teases. So it’s entirely possible Feige is being honest, or that whatever is planned, it’s simply too big of a surprise to acknowledge just yet.

We’ll get our first answers about all of this during Avengers: Endgame, which opens April 26.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-studi...bly-1833888644
Old 04-08-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

I do think Disney wants to jump on X-Men sooner than expected. Having a King & Queen of superheroes now in their grasp (Black Panther & Storm) has to be tempting!
Old 04-08-19, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know I could see it being a smart play to just put the X-Men on the shelf for a while truthfully. You can hint at things and maybe even bring mutants into play to an extent, but let the actual X-Men just take a breather for a while. The franchise has been going since 2000 and has had so many highs and lows. Give it five years maybe and then put them into play. Keep Deadpool going and along with him you can keep around his supporting cast of mutant characters. Let that be it for a while.
Old 04-08-19, 10:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

They'd just be sitting on another pile of cash they can't bring in yet if they don't reboot X-Men in the next few years. I'm sure we'll see them in some form or another in the next phase.
Old 04-08-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True I suppose but there's still the slate upcoming after the current batch of MCU films wrap up. Those probably will take up the next few years or so after Endgame. The one thing with the X-Men too is that there's a lot to delve into once they start. It isn't like introducing a singlular character like Spider-Man where he was able to be easily worked in. I believe Feige when he says they'll be a ways off. Like I say I think Deadpool will stay active and we'll get some mutants from that franchise.
Old 04-09-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree that just keeping Deadpool and letting the X-men rest for a little while after been active since the early 2000s makes sense
Yet Disney is a money grab whore. And them knowing they have the rights for a franchise and not doing anything with it to print more money right this second its very unlikely. They are probably telling Feige you have this much time to make us more money with this property
Old 04-09-19, 09:09 AM

While there have been a slew of reports about upcoming movies for Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, and The Eternals, it must be noted that Marvel hasn’t officially announced any of them. So if you thought we’d finally get those official announcements of what’s next for the Marvel Cinematic Universe once Avengers: Endgame opens, it turns out Marvel won’t announce their five-year plan until after Spider-Man: Far From Home opens in July.

IGN spoke one-on-one with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige on Sunday at the Avengers: Endgame press junket where he told us that to even reveal whether or not Marvel Studios would attend this July’s San Diego Comic-Con would itself be a spoiler. SDCC runs from July 18-July 21, 2019.

“I don't wanna be annoying, but I think it ... In a certain way, that is also sort of a post-Endgame spoiler,” Feige said.

Feige continued: “I will say all of the post Comic-Con, post Spider-Man: Far From Home stuff, we ... Here's an exclusive. We're gonna keep making movies. We're gonna still keep making movies after these two. And we will talk about them soon after Spider-Man: Far From Home comes out.”

That goes for any of the post-Fox acquisition projects fans are hoping to hear about. IGN asked Feige if we are still years away before any movement happens on MCU reboots of the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises.

“Probably. Probably, only because, as you've heard me say before, until it was all done, we literally couldn't do anything,” Feige said. “So essentially, it's sort of Day One. But during that time, we have built and fleshed out our five-year plan of where we're heading, the first few years of which we'll be announcing, as I said, relatively soon, after these next two movies.”
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04...home-comic-con
Old 04-09-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 496 Likes on 359 Posts

The X-MEN need a break.

I'm more interested in seeing what Marvel can do with the Fantastic Four.
Old 04-09-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

Won't they have to rewrite the backstory for some of the X-Men characters if they wait too long? For example, unless Magneto is super old, he will be to young to have been around during World War 2.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.