Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 03-25-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Itís entirely possible that he does want to make more, but on the condition that he makes RDJ money for a new contract.
Old 03-25-18, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by B5Erik
And I'm telling everyone here that this reminds me a hell of a lot of the death of Captain Kirk in Star Trek Generations. It was a death that was lame and didn't add anything to the story - it was decided before the script was ever written that Kirk would die, and they couldn't figure out a good way to do it so it ended up being really lame. I just don't want to see the death of Captain America end up the same way, but I really think it will since they decided years ago - before they had a story plotted out - that they would do it.
Youíre assuming that because heís said heís done heís dying. We have no proof thatís actually the case yet. Iím not seeing any real evidence thatís saying heís done because Disney/Marvel Studios wants him out or because the next two films are the intended finales for this part of the MCU. It seems like Evans has gone back and forth about what he wants to do so Iím not putting everything on something he said last year. Again it might have just been a mutual decision that it was the right time to end the characterís arc or maybe he was saying something to mislead people into speculating that he would die in one of the next two films.
Old 03-25-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Itís entirely possible that he does want to make more, but on the condition that he makes RDJ money for a new contract.
Possible. I recall articles about Marvel paying a crap ton to keep RDJ coming back and I believe Marvel already had to do something extra to bring Evans back for Avengers 4 since Infinity War is already actually the 6th and final movie of his original contract.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/166...for-avengers-4

I still think if Evans is done after Avengers 4, we'll see Marvel do something with him in some capacity years later.
Old 03-25-18, 07:31 PM

Received 814 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Isnít the girl Bel Powley from The Diary of a Teenage Girl?
Youre right. Never saw her nor heard of her before... I guess I was misinformed.

They do $32 rush tickets everyday on TodayTix. Thatís what Iíd try. I wouldnít stand in line for them.
Yeah, thatís the app. Tried it, didnít get them.
Old 03-25-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It seems like you're already decided in your head Marvel or Feige are the bad guys and preventing poor little Chris Evans from wanting to work and just making up scenarios.
I don't think they're, "Bad guys," I just think they're making a mistake by not trying to get him to do more.

Again, Hollywood history is filled with studio execs making bad decisions. This would (and may very well) be just one more of them.

I just don't think that they understand just how important Evans is to the MCU. He and RDJ are their two Hugh Jackman's. RDJ is getting too old for the role, and they've explored just about everything they can with the Tony Stark character, but Chris Evans is still young and there's a ton of stuff they could still do with Steve Rogers.

But because every single Marvel movie has been successful, and because every new character (Ant Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther) has been accepted by the fans, it seems pretty much like they think these characters are disposable and interchangeable.

Marvel COMICS thought the same thing with the Avengers in the late 60's. They were wrong then, and Marvel Studios (if what appears to be happening is, indeed, happening) is wrong now.
Old 03-25-18, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

Let's Evans retire and get some peace!
Old 03-25-18, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
Let Evans retire and get some peace!
Retire? He's only 36 years old! Practically still a kid! Most 36 year olds don't really know what they want!

He's still got a lot to offer the MCU, and will have for at least another decade.
Old 03-25-18, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think they're, "Bad guys," I just think they're making a mistake by not trying to get him to do more.

Again, Hollywood history is filled with studio execs making bad decisions. This would (and may very well) be just one more of them.

I just don't think that they understand just how important Evans is to the MCU. He and RDJ are their two Hugh Jackman's. RDJ is getting too old for the role, and they've explored just about everything they can with the Tony Stark character, but Chris Evans is still young and there's a ton of stuff they could still do with Steve Rogers.

But because every single Marvel movie has been successful, and because every new character (Ant Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther) has been accepted by the fans, it seems pretty much like they think these characters are disposable and interchangeable.

Marvel COMICS thought the same thing with the Avengers in the late 60's. They were wrong then, and Marvel Studios (if what appears to be happening is, indeed, happening) is wrong now.
Except you don't know if they've tried to get him to do more. Just more wild speculation and jumping to conclusions I don't know what evidence there's been that makes you think Marvel is either dismissing the importance of Evans/Captain America or that they think these characters are disposable and interchangeable at all. Other then the narrative you've already made up in your head.
Old 03-26-18, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Except you don't know if they've tried to get him to do more. Just more wild speculation and jumping to conclusions I don't know what evidence there's been that makes you think Marvel is either dismissing the importance of Evans/Captain America or that they think these characters are disposable and interchangeable at all. Other then the narrative you've already made up in your head.
I do know what Feige has said, and I know what Evans has said, and I know what has been reported and it all adds up to the same thing. Feige and Marvel have long term plans and they are not very willing to change those plans unless they have to.

Now maybe I'm speculating, but since I've seen this kind of thing several times in my lifetime, and since the comments made by Feige and Evans match that speculation I'm pretty confident that I'm right.

I'm not happy with Evans not returning for any future Marvel movies. Frankly, I'm kind of pissed about it. In a world where a 77 year old Harrison Ford is about to play Indiana Jones again you'll have to pardon me if I think it's ludicrous to, "Retire," Chris Evans as Captain America when he's only 36 years old!
Old 03-26-18, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Pissed? If you won the lottery, should I be pissed if you decided to quit your job?
Old 03-26-18, 05:17 AM

Received 4,678 Likes on 3,168 Posts

B5Erik should quit his job and be Evans' agent.
Old 03-26-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Pissed? If you won the lottery, should I be pissed if you decided to quit your job?
If you were a client of mine at my company and you preferred dealing with me rather than the other representative that work for the company.

I've known a lot of people who switched insurance or financial services companies because the agents/representatives that they worked with went to other companies. It happens all the time.

So, yeah, people get pissed all the time when someone they like dealing with leaves a company.
Old 03-26-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I do know what Feige has said, and I know what Evans has said, and I know what has been reported and it all adds up to the same thing. Feige and Marvel have long term plans and they are not very willing to change those plans unless they have to.

Now maybe I'm speculating, but since I've seen this kind of thing several times in my lifetime, and since the comments made by Feige and Evans match that speculation I'm pretty confident that I'm right.

I'm not happy with Evans not returning for any future Marvel movies. Frankly, I'm kind of pissed about it. In a world where a 77 year old Harrison Ford is about to play Indiana Jones again you'll have to pardon me if I think it's ludicrous to, "Retire," Chris Evans as Captain America when he's only 36 years old!
There's no "maybe" about it, as you're the only one who seems to think without a doubt that Marvel doesn't want to feed little Chris.
Old 03-26-18, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's no "maybe" about it, as you're the only one who seems to think without a doubt that Marvel doesn't want to feed little Chris.
That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that from all Feige has said they are stubbornly sticking to the plan, regardless of how well Evans has done in the role (and how important that character is to the MCU) and how much the fans would like to see him in more Marvel movies beyond 2019. Evans said just a year ago that he'd be willing to do more movies as Cap. His recent quotes don't say a thing about not wanting to do more, just that his time with Marvel is up.
Old 03-26-18, 09:34 AM

"You want to get off the train before they push you off."
Old 03-26-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Goddamn someone did not take his pills today
Old 03-26-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that from all Feige has said they are stubbornly sticking to the plan, regardless of how well Evans has done in the role (and how important that character is to the MCU) and how much the fans would like to see him in more Marvel movies beyond 2019. Evans said just a year ago that he'd be willing to do more movies as Cap. His recent quotes don't say a thing about not wanting to do more, just that his time with Marvel is up.
I'm not sure what the difference is, it sure feels like I got the gist of what you've been saying.
Old 03-26-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"You want to get off the train before they push you off."
Which usually means, "I didn't want to get fired so I quit." It's a face saving statement.

Apparently I'm the only one here who wants to see more from Chris Evans in the MCU. No one else seems bothered in the least by the idea of there being no more Steve Rogers in the MCU until a reboot. I guess I'm in a tiny minority.

I'm genuinely surprised by that, but it is what it is, I guess.
Old 03-26-18, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

I wouldnít mind seeing more of him as Cap but if heís done then so be it. Heís played the character five times so far and weíve got two more times. I think itís been a good run.
Old 03-26-18, 10:04 AM

Which usually means, "I didn't want to get fired so I quit." It's a face saving statement.

Apparently I'm the only one here who wants to see more from Chris Evans in the MCU. No one else seems bothered in the least by the idea of there being no more Steve Rogers in the MCU until a reboot. I guess I'm in a tiny minority.

That's not what it means at all. It means going out on top. Leaving the people wanting more before you outstay your welcome.

Nobody seems bothered because it's just a fucking movie, and nobody here actually KNOWS what is going to happen. It sounds like you are having a nervous breakdown about this over speculation and assumptions. Wait until we see Avengers 4 and then they announce their next slate of films and plans before going off the deep end.

Last edited by dex14; 03-26-18 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-26-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I love Evans as the Cap, he might be my favorite MCU character followed by star Lord. But if he says he is done then why not be ok with it. He already gave us a solid trilogy plus the Avenger movies. He more than fulfilled his duties to us geeks.

Maybe you are his agent and are venting off why he won't keep taking more Marvel contracts
Old 03-26-18, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think most of us would love to see Chris Evans continue as Captain America, as long as they have a good story to continue telling. You're just the only one who thinks it's because Marvel doesn't want him.
Old 03-26-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts

B5Erik should quit his job and be Evans' agent.
I actually think he IS Evans' agent and is going to lose out on the gravy train when he goes on to directing small indie films and takes smaller roles.
Old 03-26-18, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I actually think he IS Evans' agent and is going to lose out on the gravy train when he goes on to directing small indie films and takes smaller roles.
Old 03-27-18, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think most of us would love to see Chris Evans continue as Captain America, as long as they have a good story to continue telling. You're just the only one who thinks it's because Marvel doesn't want him.
ďWell, you know, my contract is over, so thatís as far as I know,Ē Evans said of the rumors heís soon to be done with the First Avenger.
That doesn't sound like the quote of a guy who has actively decided to leave the role. That sounds much more like someone who has accepted the fact that a contract renewal offer hasn't come and doesn't appear to be forthcoming.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.