Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 03-23-18, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,376 Likes on 937 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by B5Erik
That's not true. He said about a year ago that if they asked him to stay he would.

This has to do with a story arc that they are hell bent on following. They're dropping RDJ, Chris Evans, and Chris Hemsworth after Avengers 4. They're moving on, which is foolish.

RDJ is too old to continue, so, fine, that makes sense, but Evans and Hemsworth have got another decade left in them. They can either recast Tony Stark or retire Iron Man until Evans and Hemsworth are too old to play their parts.

No, this is a direction they're choosing to take. The MCU will suffer for it, too. It won't suddenly become DC movies bad, but there will be a hole there - the absence of Evans will be felt just as much as the presence of the actors involved with the movies will.
He's said in several interviews he is tired of the grind of these movies. I'm not sure where you saw that he wanted to stay. He's repeatedly dropped hints he is done.
Old 03-23-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,174 Likes on 915 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

I actually think Hemsworth is more open to carrying on as Thor for a while. Evans has hinted that heís ready to be done for a while. I think RDJ is fine either way but is probably ready to be done too. These guys have been playing these roles for ten years and thatís a lot of time out of their careers to commit to just one role.
Old 03-23-18, 12:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It's not like that's all they've done in 10 years. Either way, if they stay then yay, it's the characters in older mentor-type roles. If they depart, then it paves the way for many other characters to mature over a possible 10 year period.
Old 03-23-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I could live with seeing Tony Stark in future installments because his character arc feels complete, especially if he sacrifices himself during IW.

Evans, though, feels like the true soul of the MCU and I'd hate to see him gone completely. He has been ambivalent about continuing on in interviews.

Plus, Marvel is a big fan of misdirection and there's simply no way Evans would make bold, definitive statements like his recent pull quote unless the studio approved. You can't essentially tell the world you're dying in one of the next two movies unless there's some strategy behind it.
Old 03-23-18, 01:22 PM

Received 4,691 Likes on 3,179 Posts

He never said his character was dying. Rogers doesn't have to be killed off for Evans to not continue.

Last edited by dex14; 03-26-18 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-23-18, 05:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 956 Likes on 798 Posts

it's too bad Evans won't be back as TWS and CW were just great, but he's right. he's set for life and can do other things at his leisure. they can reboot everything. looked what they did to Spidey with Tom Holland. that sure worked out...
Old 03-23-18, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit
It's not like that's all they've done in 10 years. Either way, if they stay then yay, it's the characters in older mentor-type roles. If they depart, then it paves the way for many other characters to mature over a possible 10 year period.
Not all theyíve done but the Marvel films take up a lot of their time Iím sure. Itís not just filming but also staying in shape and plus thereís a lot more promotional stuff that they do compared to a regular film.
Old 03-24-18, 11:16 AM

Received 819 Likes on 534 Posts

I saw Chris Evans last week on Broadway in the play "Lobby Hero." It looks like he's borrowed Henry Cavill's mustache.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/t...n-america.html

(... Michael Cera was in it too. It was like a Scott Pilgrim reunion.)
Old 03-24-18, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I saw Chris Evans last week on Broadway in the play "Lobby Hero." It looks like he's borrowed Henry Cavill's mustache.

I've been debating going to see that. What did you think? I'll only end up going if I can get the rush tickets.
Old 03-24-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,256 Likes on 865 Posts

Old 03-24-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,256 Likes on 865 Posts

The Black Panther iron is hot ... strike now and make Anthony Mackie (Falcon) the new Cap.

Or, as I joked in the Avengers thread, replace him with Michael B. Jordan.
Old 03-24-18, 04:52 PM

Received 819 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I've been debating going to see that. What did you think? I'll only end up going if I can get the rush tickets.
It was good... I know that Kenneth Lonergan plays have a tendency to get heavy, but it was easy to follow and well acted. The young lady playing the rookie cop is fresh from NYC Masters program. She was quite good.

I paid $80 for my ticket at TKTS because the rush app was a pain. When 10am hit and the app refreshed, tickets were gone.

(I was across the street from the Hayes Theater standing in line for rush tickets for Hello, Dolly and saw a line of folks waiting for that theater to open... we just laughed at them knowing it never would.)
Old 03-25-18, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

This popped up in my Facebook memories, an article from 2014:

Captain Americaísí Chris Evans Says Heís Ready to Leave Acting Behind

Actor committed to fulfilling Marvel contract then wants to focus on directing

ďThe problem was initially, it was a nine-movie contract. And they said, if these movies take off and do very well, and my life changes and I donít respond well, I donít have the opportunity to say, listen, I need a fucking break. That just scared me.Ē

ďIt went from nine (films) to six. I said no again.Ē Marvel tried once more, and thatís when Evansí reps started giving him a hard time, the actor admits. ďMy family was even going, ĎAre you sure youíre making the right decisions?í It started to feel like maybe this is what Iím supposed to do.Ē

He says another challenge of being a Marvel star is the loss of anonymity. ďFame is a funny thing,Ē he explains. ďI like doing normal things. I like going to fairs, I like going to ball games, I like going to Disney World, or a big field on the Fourth of July and having picnics with friends. The problem is, youíre either worried youíre going to be recognized or youíre thankful youíre not. Itís always there. I miss that not being in my head.Ē
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ca...nd-1201144687/

I'm sure he feels even more strongly about it 4 years later
Old 03-25-18, 06:17 AM

It was good... I know that Kenneth Lonergan plays have a tendency to get heavy, but it was easy to follow and well acted. The young lady playing the rookie cop is fresh from NYC Masters program. She was quite good.

I paid $80 for my ticket at TKTS because the rush app was a pain. When 10am hit and the app refreshed, tickets were gone.

(I was across the street from the Hayes Theater standing in line for rush tickets for Hello, Dolly and saw a line of folks waiting for that theater to open... we just laughed at them knowing it never would.)
Isn’t the girl Bel Powley from The Diary of a Teenage Girl?

They do $32 rush tickets everyday on TodayTix. That’s what I’d try. I wouldn’t stand in line for them.

Last edited by dex14; 03-25-18 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-25-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 355 Posts

March, 2017...

“It’s really not up to me. My contract is up. I’m not going to sit here and say, “No more.” I think Hugh Jackman has made 47 Wolverine movies, and they somehow keep getting better. It’s a character I love, and it’s a factory that really knows what they’re doing. The system is sound, over there. They make great movies. If they weren’t kicking out quality, I’d have a different opinion. But, everything Marvel does seems to be cinema gold.

“Like I said, I love the character. The only reason it would end is ‘cause my contract is up. After Avengers 4, my contract is done. Talk to Marvel. If we engage further, I’d be open to it. I love the character. It’s almost like high school. You certainly always look to senior year, and then, all of a sudden, senior year happens and you’re like, “I don’t know if I’m ready to go.” It’s tough thinking about not playing the guy.”

So, unless Marvel Studios has plans to replace Evans or knock out Captain America entirely, the actor may have a longer future with the MCU.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/03/...atic-universe/
Old 03-25-18, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It could be a combination of both things. Iím very much doubting that Disney/Marvel Studios just gave him the boot. Iím sure it was a mutual decision and I doubt either party would want to burn bridges.
Old 03-25-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
It could be a combination of both things. I’m very much doubting that Disney/Marvel Studios just gave him the boot. I’m sure it was a mutual decision and I doubt either party would want to burn bridges.
If Evans wants to direct movies then Marvel could easily give him that opportunity through Disney. They could reactivate the Touchstone name, use existing people at Marvel and Disney for distribution and promotion, and give Evans a moderately budgeted movie to direct for each appearance as Steve Rogers.

There are creative ways to get things done.

I've just seen too many actors say that they were done with certain roles only to come back when a really good deal was offered. In this case it may have less to do with money than with other things, which is why Disney/Marvel are in the perfect position to be able to give Evans what he wants.

And the comments I posted above are barely a year old, while the other quote above that was from 4 years ago. Evans has indicated that he has trepidations about leaving the Steve Rogers role behind and that he'll miss it. I think Feige is the one who is more set on him leaving than Evans himself is.

It is really rare to find an actor so perfectly suited for a role as Chris Evans is with Steve Rogers. And as he is still very young by Hollywood standards he will still be capable of playing the role for another decade or more. If we miss out on more Chris Evans performances as Steve Rogers primarily because Feige just wants to move forward with his plans then that is always going to feel like a glaring omission. Evans is the glue in the MCU. His Steve Rogers is the heart and soul of The Avengers.
Old 03-25-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,010 Likes on 712 Posts

Are we really at the point where as an audience we feel like we're being shortchanged because we'll only get to see Chris Evans play Captain America seven(!) times (not including the 2 or 3 other times he did cameos)? I get that we all like these movies, and the nature of comics is that the stories just go on and on forever, but at a certain point we just need to let go and move onto something different.
Old 03-25-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah and I think everyone involved understands that. This whole franchise has been building up to these last two films essentially. Not discounting what came before but basically from the sounds of things this will bookend this chapter of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I think Disney/Marvel Studios knows that they need to continue evolving this franchise so it doesnít get stale but itís not like the original actors are being pushed out the door. I see it more as these characters have told their part of the story and for now itís time to move forward. I would bet the main players donít necessarily have a problem with it. Theyíve all made good money and become huge stars over the course of roughly ten years. At some point everything ends though.
Old 03-25-18, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Again, it's Evans own quote from a couple days ago that brought this topic back up where he was saying “You want to get off the train before they push you off" which sure seems to point more to him choosing to leave instead of Marvel forcing him out.

Wildly speculating about director deals or Feige sticking to some plan has no basis in anything.
Old 03-25-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Are we really at the point where as an audience we feel like we're being shortchanged because we'll only get to see Chris Evans play Captain America seven(!) times (not including the 2 or 3 other times he did cameos)? I get that we all like these movies, and the nature of comics is that the stories just go on and on forever, but at a certain point we just need to let go and move onto something different.
I do since we didn't really get a Captain America 3. We got Avengers 2 1/2 instead.

And who says we need to let go and move on to something different? I still enjoy Evans as Cap more than anyone else in any other superhero movie. That's not going to change any time soon...
Old 03-25-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Again, it's Evans own quote from a couple days ago that brought this topic back up where he was saying ďYou want to get off the train before they push you off" which sure seems to point more to him choosing to leave instead of Marvel forcing him out.
That sounds more like someone acknowledging that a renewal of a contract isn't coming than someone who doesn't want the job.

Wildly speculating about director deals or Feige sticking to some plan has no basis in anything.
It does have a basis in Hollywood history. There have been several deals through the years where an actor is given a role in a different movie or a directorial job if he would take a role as an actor that he was hesitant to take. And Disney has more resources than ANY other studio in history to make a deal like that happen.
Old 03-25-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,376 Likes on 937 Posts

That sounds more like someone acknowledging that a renewal of a contract isn't coming than someone who doesn't want the job.
No. Just no.
Old 03-25-18, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
No. Just no.
Actually, yes, just yes.

When you don't have a contract renewal forthcoming the best PR is to say that you want to leave before you're let go. That makes it look like it was your choice rather than the employer's.

And a year ago he said he wanted to do more as he got closer to the end of the contract. It was easier to say he didn't want to do more when the end was 4 years away. When he got near the end of the contract he made is pretty clear that he realized he'd miss the role and still wanted to do it while he was still physically able to do so.

And I'm telling everyone here that this reminds me a hell of a lot of the death of Captain Kirk in Star Trek Generations. It was a death that was lame and didn't add anything to the story - it was decided before the script was ever written that Kirk would die, and they couldn't figure out a good way to do it so it ended up being really lame. I just don't want to see the death of Captain America end up the same way, but I really think it will since they decided years ago - before they had a story plotted out - that they would do it.
Old 03-25-18, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Nah.

It does have a basis in Hollywood history. There have been several deals through the years where an actor is given a role in a different movie or a directorial job if he would take a role as an actor that he was hesitant to take. And Disney has more resources than ANY other studio in history to make a deal like that happen.
I meant that it has no basis in this instance based on what we've actually heard from any of the parties involved. Just like bringing up Daniel Craig, my point is simply you're just extrapolating because it seems like you're already decided in your head Marvel or Feige are the bad guys and preventing poor little Chris Evans from wanting to work and just making up scenarios.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.