Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 08-12-14, 04:10 PM

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,018 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Guardians of the Galaxy was Marvel’s big gamble on whether or not they could sell a group of unknown characters in a unique world based on the studio’s brand alone. They won that bet, and now it’s given Marvel the confidence to move forward on another team of mostly unknown, strange characters: The Inhumans. As we reported back in March 2011, the studio was considering adapting the comic into a movie. In July 2012, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige told Entertainment Weekly that if either Guardians or The Inhumans became a movie, audiences could expect an “X-Men-style ensemble, a la The Avengers.” In a broad sense, that’s true: A team of misfits and outsiders comes together to battle a larger foe; beyond that, I doubt many would compare Guardians to X-Men or The Avengers. But for over two years, there was no word on The Inhumans.

The other day, Vin Diesel dropped a hint about being part of The Inhumans, and it turns out he wasn’t just blowing smoke. The studio is happy with the existing script by Joe Robert Cole, and now the next logical step is to take it out to filmmakers. Hit the jump for more.

According to our sources, Marvel plans to handle The Inhumans in the same way they handled Guardians of the Galaxy. For those who don’t know, the original draft of Guardians was written by Nicole Perlman, who was part of Marvel’s writing program. That draft then went out to filmmakers. When James Gunn came on board, he added his flavor and details to the story, but the characters, story structure, and beats from Perlman’s draft remained in place. As Adam explained in his recent editorial, directors are brought on board to execute a specific vision.

Cole also came out of Marvel’s writing program, and the studio is pleased with his script, so now they’re presumably ready to take it out to filmmakers. We can also assume that since Guardians was a success, the studio is willing to bring on a director with a unique voice like Gunn. He didn’t upend the Marvel formula, but his personality flows through the picture. He was in tune with a group of oddball outsiders, and that made him the best man for the job.
So who’s the best choice for The Inhumans? Briefly, the Inhumans were created by alien experiments on primitive homo-sapiens. The alien race behind the experiments, the Kree, abandoned their work and the Inhumans went on to form a society of their own, which is led by the king Black Bolt and his family Medusa, Karnak, Gorgon, Triton, Crystal, Maximus the Mad, and the canine Lockjaw. For more on The Inhumans, read Marvel’s wiki page.

Our sources tell us that this movie is part of Marvel not only expanding its list of properties, but actively building a multiple-film cosmic universe.

To be clear, we don’t know the details about this script, and we don’t know the directors the studio has on its wish list. What we know is that Marvel is ready to move forward on The Inhumans, and we’re hearing it will take one of the dates on their current schedule.

Read more at http://collider.com/the-inhumans-mov...vSordQd6sK8.99
Old 08-12-14, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

I am much more excited for the cosmic than earth based properties. Though my exposure to the former is very limited incomparison to the latter.

I'd be game for Diesel as Black Bolt in an Inhuman film. His suit would translate very well to live action. Kirby designed a great look.
Old 08-12-14, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So what director would be the best for Inhumans?
Old 08-12-14, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Matt Reeves?
Old 08-12-14, 04:44 PM
Banned

I've honestly no clue. My immediate reaction is Guillermo Del Toro but that won't happen.

It honestly depends on what kind of Inhumans story they're going for. Many possibilities.
Old 08-12-14, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Matt Reeves?
Oooooh.
Old 08-12-14, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Agents of SHIELD was going down the Inhuman road with Skye and Flower Dress woman.
Old 08-12-14, 04:52 PM
Banned

Fuck that show. Barely got better at the end. And that's cuz Cap 2 helped it narratively.
Old 08-12-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Fuck that show. Barely got better at the end. And that's cuz Cap 2 helped it narratively.
Old 08-13-14, 07:52 PM

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,018 Posts

We know that the creatives at Marvel Studios love Katee Sackhoff, since Joss Whedon recently tweeted a picture of her Battlestar Galactica character as proof that a gender-flipped Thor could kick ass. The question, though, is whether Marvel might cast Sackhoff in a film … perhaps as the superheroine Ms. Marvel, who’s rumored to cameo in Whedon’s upcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron? Sackhoff has been stoking fan speculation with a series of Twitter clues about a mystery project she just shot, but when we caught up with her last night at the Kiehl’s Liferide 5th Anniversary Festival, she said the teased gig is “not necessarily a movie and not necessarily a superhero that you would think of,” then reiterated that aside from a get-together with comic-book legend Stan Lee, she hasn’t yet met the Marvel Studios brain trust. “As of this moment, I have not sat down with anybody from Marvel for any role specifically,” said Sackhoff. “But that doesn’t necessarily mean that something with Marvel is completely off the table for the future.” Even though she’s committed to the A&E series Longmire and has another big-screen gig coming up in November, Sackhoff would be happy to entertain any sort of superhero offer, from Thor to Ms. Marvel and beyond. "Any time I can play a strong female that’s a role model,” she said, “it’s a good day.”
http://www.vulture.com/2014/08/katee....html?mid=imdb
Old 08-13-14, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,351 Likes on 916 Posts

Old 08-13-14, 10:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 08-13-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure if you guys are happy or upset about Katee Sackhoff not being courted for any Marvel characters but giving the equivalent of "I wouldn't kick them out of bed!"
Old 08-13-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope that she-Thor is comic only.
Old 08-13-14, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm on the train that thinks Sackhoff is manish, so I hope she has nothing to do with Ms. Marvel.
Old 08-14-14, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,351 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm on the train that thinks Sackhoff is manish, so I hope she has nothing to do with Ms. Marvel.
Yup. And Marvel will fuck it up even more by somehow putting Michelle Rodriguez in the movie with Sackoff. My head will explode.
Old 08-19-14, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Feige says More people ask about Black Panther/Captain Marvel than they do about Iron Man 4 or Avengers 3:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/19...marvel-are-ab/

When asked if Black Panther and Captain Marvel are characters that he would like to give a solo film, Feige replied, “Absolutely.” Then, he teased, “Should I announce it? No, I’m not announcing. But it's something…they are both characters that we like, that development work has been done on and is continuing to be done on.”

Feige added, “And certainly, the public…it’s a question I get asked more than anything else…more than Iron Man 4….more than Avengers 3. And that’s sort of the first time that’s really happened to us. And I think that makes a difference. I think that’s something we have to pay attention to.”
Old 08-19-14, 03:14 AM
Banned by request

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bring on the Katee Sackhoff!
Old 08-19-14, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right, Katee Sackhoff would be the perfect Black Panther!
Old 08-19-14, 09:00 AM
Banned

She'd be an awesome Carol Danvers.
Old 08-19-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ew.
Old 08-19-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 659 Likes on 409 Posts

I wish it were 2004, so that every plum genre role would be offered up to Joshua Jackson, Josh Hartnett, or Ashton Kutcher.
Old 08-19-14, 01:45 PM
Banned

Never heard of Joshua Jackson.

WTF has Hartnett been up to? Been a while since I saw him.

And Kutcher doesn't really do much in film, right? He did that Jobs film but I think that's it lately.
Old 08-19-14, 01:53 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

Harnett is a regular on "Penny Dreadful" and he's actually pretty awesome.
Old 08-19-14, 02:16 PM
Banned

Right. Guess that show is good? I don't have cable or whatever so I'm behind on TV stuff.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.