Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

Actually, the Stark scene in Hulk is before the credits, where it seems really odd and out of place. Would have worked better as a mid or post credits sequence, IMO.
Old 01-18-14, 04:11 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

Yeah, that Stark scene was placed in a awkward spot.
Old 01-30-14, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig Kyle & Christopher Yost to Write Third "Thor" Film

A third "Thor" film is on the way, and it already has a writing team -- a familiar one to comic book fans. Marvel revealed Wednesday that Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost will co-write the next installment of the God of Thunder's solo big-screen adventures.

Kyle had been working as Senior Vice President of Production and Development at Marvel Studios, but the company states that he's now focusing on screenwriting full time.

"I am proud of Craig and have enjoyed working with him over these past years," Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige said in a Marvel.com article announcing the news. "His creative instincts have helped shape 'Thor' and 'Thor: The Dark World' at every level of the filmmaking process. The entire team at Marvel is very happy to continue collaborating with Craig as he continues as a screenwriter working with Christopher on the forthcoming chapter of Thor's adventure."

Kyle was an executive producer on last fall's "Thor: The Dark World," which was co-written by Yost. The film has grossed $204.5 domestically, with a $632.9 million worldwide total. No director for the third "Thor" film has been announced, nor a release date, but Marvel Studios currently has May 6, 2016, July 8, 2016 and May 5, 2017 all locked down for as-yet unannounced films.

Kyle and Yost have worked together previously on multiple Marvel comic books, mainly in the X-Men family of titles. They're likely best known for their 28-issue run on "X-Force," and creating X-23 in an episode of animated series "X-Men: Evolution."
So it looks like phase three will be:

Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
Captain America 3
Thor 3
Avengers 3
Old 01-30-14, 09:58 AM
Banned

Nice.
Old 01-30-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Actually, the Stark scene in Hulk is before the credits, where it seems really odd and out of place. Would have worked better as a mid or post credits sequence, IMO.
Marvel pushed it up at the last minute because audiences missed the post-credits sequence in the first Iron Man film (which was released over a month earlier). Most people walked out and never got the first Avengers breadcrumb.

If you look at the way the edit is now structured, it's awkward. If you look at it as it was supposed to be released (Banner opens his eyes and they're green - CUT TO Credits. Credits roll. Fade up on the bar and Stark reveal), it works.
Old 01-30-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

I'm not sure why Stark is even talking to Gen Ross about the Avenger's Initiative. It would have made more sense if he was pissed that Stark weaponry was being used on US soil. The scene was unnecessary and doesn't really bridge Norton Banner and Ruffalo Banner other than the bring in a recognizable character from the MCU.

Ruffalo Banner has one line about the destruction of Harlem in the Avengers that tries to make that leap, but truly IMO, he's a different Hulk. Norton Banner was trying to control his rage and transformations at the end of the film. Ruffalo Banner tried to commit suicide by eating a bullet.
Old 01-30-14, 11:41 AM
Banned

It doesn't have to be completely linear. The suicide attempt could have come before he tried to control it. He could have tried to kill himself, and when he couldn't, he realizes he has to learn to control it.

It makes sense that way too. First, he is in depression and attempts suicide. Second, he comes to acceptance and decides to learn to control it. Third, he has learned to control it and can turn into Hulk at will, such as when he chooses to turn into Hulk during the Chitauri invasion and retains control of himself while Hulked out.
Old 01-30-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The suicide attempt was the alternate opening in TIH.

Are there really people who still try to argue that TIH isn't in continuity/a part of the MCU?

Last edited by anomynous; 01-30-14 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-30-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's just like people who argue that Batman '66 isn't coming out on DVD.
Old 01-30-14, 11:58 AM

The Stark scene in TIH was retroactively explained in the One Shot "The Consultant." The World Security Counsel wanted the Abomination recruited for the Avengers Initiative due to his soldier experience. Abomination was being held by General Ross, and SHIELD had no real intention of actually wanting to recruit him. So they sent Stark to talk to Ross knowing that Stark's ego would rub Ross the wrong way and refuse to give up custody of the Abomination.
Old 01-30-14, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by anomynous
The suicide attempt was the alternate opening in TIH.
Holy crap. I thought you were making that up, but I googled it, and apparently it is a deleted scene.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1iRxzMFMgWY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Are there really people who still try to argue that TIH isn't in continuity/a part of the MCU?

Yeah, its stupid. The big "Phase One" Blu-ray set includes the Incredible Hulk movie. It is most definitely 100% without a doubt part of the MCU.

The Ang Lee Hulk is not, but the Incredible Hulk most definitely is.
Old 01-30-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak
The Stark scene in TIH was retroactively explained in the One Shot "The Consultant." The World Security Counsel wanted the Abomination recruited for the Avengers Initiative due to his soldier experience. Abomination was being held by General Ross, and SHIELD had no real intention of actually wanting to recruit him. So they sent Stark to talk to Ross knowing that Stark's ego would rub Ross the wrong way and refuse to give up custody of the Abomination.
Exactly. I actually would like to have seen Hurt back as General Ross in some of the other movies. He was a nice addition to the Incredible Hulk.

I get the feeling that maybe for Phase 4 Marvel is planning on introducing the Inhumans. By the time we get to Avengers 3 we will have also had Guardians of the Galaxy and we will have been along the cosmic road for a while and with those movies (well Avengers any way) well in their stride i think Marvel will like the idea of possibly having one more cinematic team of super heroes to go to for Summer Blockbusters. They are planning on getting the Defenders eventually via Netflix, so maybe by this point we might get an almighty rooster of characters in a Secret Wars type movie or maybe a Civil War. I know thats maybe stretching it, but i really think if Marvel is to play it smart they need to continue looking well down the road at future projects and more team based movies seems to be a lucrative way to go.

I also wonder if we will get to see characters like Captain Marvel, Adam Warlock (i guess already in the Thor 2 end scene...to some extent), Captain Britain in any future movies? And also curious to see what Marvel does with characters like Blade, Ghost Rider and Punisher now they have the rights back. Which route will they go with them....TV or movies? Or simply do nothing.

Oh, and i cannot wait for The Winter Soldier. From the news on the web it seems that Hyrda will be back in play and that this will continue on in Avengers: Age of Ultron. That to me is a good move. I really enjoyed The First Avenger and felt it was the best movie of Phase 1. I would love to see Red Skull return at some point even though it seems Hugo Weaving won't have interest in playing the role.

Last edited by james2025a; 01-30-14 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-30-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also see Captain America in the ice in that alternate opening, but that's just an easter egg.
Old 01-30-14, 12:23 PM
Banned

I still would like to see an extended cut of Norton's film. There was a good chunk of good stuff that was left out. The original opening for sure was a very good character moment. Was neat that they kind of referenced it in The Avengers. Though that one goes further in saying that he actually went with the deed.

But Marvel wanted to get to smashing quicker.
Old 01-30-14, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by james2025a
we might get an almighty rooster
If a raccoon with a machine gun works, then sure why not an almighty rooster too.
Old 01-30-14, 12:31 PM
Banned

Exactly. I actually would like to have seen Hurt back as General Ross in some of the other movies. He was a nice addition to the Incredible Hulk.

I get the feeling that maybe for Phase 4 Marvel is planning on introducing the Inhumans. By the time we get to Avengers 3 we will have also had Guardians of the Galaxy and we will have been along the cosmic road for a while and with those movies (well Avengers any way) well in their stride i think Marvel will like the idea of possibly having one more cinematic team of super heroes to go to for Summer Blockbusters. They are planning on getting the Defenders eventually via Netflix, so maybe by this point we might get an almighty rooster of characters in a Secret Wars type movie or maybe a Civil War. I know thats maybe stretching it, but i really think if Marvel is to play it smart they need to continue looking well down the road at future projects and more team based movies seems to be a lucrative way to go.

I also wonder if we will get to see characters like Captain Marvel, Adam Warlock (i guess already in the Thor 2 end scene...to some extent), Captain Britain in any future movies? And also curious to see what Marvel does with characters like Blade, Ghost Rider and Punisher now they have the rights back. Which route will they go with them....TV or movies? Or simply do nothing.

Oh, and i cannot wait for The Winter Soldier. From the news on the web it seems that Hyrda will be back in play and that this will continue on in Avengers: Age of Ultron. That to me is a good move. I really enjoyed The First Avenger and felt it was the best movie of Phase 1. I would love to see Red Skull return at some point even though it seems Hugo Weaving won't have interest in playing the role.
Captain Britain is part of the X franchise.

I'd kill to see Union Jack in a film. If only we could have had The Invaders as a film. Somehow it could have been done. Though Torch, no relation to Johnny, is part of Fox...no? Not like universal has any use for Namor.
Old 01-30-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get the feeling that maybe for Phase 4 Marvel is planning on introducing the Inhumans.
I think Inhumans would fall under the Fantasic Four license. AKA, Marvel can't use them. Sort of how they couldn't use Skrulls. Always seemed in the comics, it was the FF that mostly dealt with Inhumans.
Old 01-30-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its funny as Captain Britain is not a mutant. I know he is part of Excalibur, but to me he would appear to be one of those fringe characters that overlaps in the comic continuum.

I thought that Marvel owned the rights to the Invaders version of the Torch? The Invaders could be cool. And Namor would be a really interesting addition to the Marvel Movie Universe.
Old 01-30-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
I think Inhumans would fall under the Fantasic Four license. AKA, Marvel can't use them. Sort of how they couldn't use Skrulls. Always seemed in the comics, it was the FF that mostly dealt with Inhumans.
Marvel can use Skrulls...they just cannot use the Super Skrull. And i doubt the Inhumans comes under the Fantastic Four license.
Old 01-30-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
I thought I read that Marvel is going to use the Inhuman's as their way of getting 'mutant' like powers and not calling them mutants.
Old 01-30-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

4th phase of Avengers:

Doctor Strange
Ant Man
Black Panther
The Wasp
The Falcon
Scarlet Witch
Quicksilver
Vision?

With maybe some holdovers such as Captain America and the Hulk. to keep some contuinity.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/01/29...udios-phase-4/
Old 01-30-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Captain Marvel
Hercules
She-Hulk

Is Spider-Woman part of Sony's Spider-Man package?
Old 01-30-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

They need to bring back the Leader at some point even if they never go forward with another Hulk film.
Old 01-30-14, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by devilshalo
They need to bring back the Leader at some point even if they never go forward with another Hulk film.
I have been hoping that is who the "Clairvoyant" on Agents of SHIELD is going to be.

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Is Spider-Woman part of Sony's Spider-Man package?
Sony probably has the rights to all of the "spider" characters. Spider-Woman, Spider-Girl, Scarlet Spider, Spider-Man 2099, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Ham...
Old 01-30-14, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
I have been hoping that is who the "Clairvoyant" on Agents of SHIELD is going to be.

Sony probably has the rights to all of the "spider" characters. Spider-Woman, Spider-Girl, Scarlet Spider, Spider-Man 2099, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Ham...
I'd pay to see a Peter Porker movie!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.