Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 01-14-14, 09:03 AM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts

I tried finding a thread for Dr. Strange... I thought there was one, maybe it was only discussed. Lets keep a thread running for all rumors regard they MCU. Once the film is announced, we can start an individual thread.

Here is some interesting casting info:

Those of you that follow me on Twitter (@LatinoReviewMFR) know that I’ve been teasing all night about a scoop regarding Marvel. Well, it’s now time to open up the bag and show you all my first big kill:

A well-connected source informed me tonight that Johnny Depp has taken a meeting with Marvel to discuss taking on the role of Dr. Strange.

The 50-year-old actor is a comic book fan, and is said to be very interested in jumping onto the Marvel machine. Johnny Depp also happens to have a very fruitful relationship with Marvel’s owner, Disney. It was the mouse house, after all, that took a gamble when it gave the eccentric actor his first leading role in a summer tentpole, Pirates of The Caribbean, and that franchise went on to earn billions (yes, with a “b”) for the studio. He also made them a mint with their live-action Alice in Wonderland film.

While they have Depp on the hook for another Pirates film, it is believed they would shift that production around if he does agree to sign on the dotted line for Marvel.

As you can tell, Marvel is in the megastar business and, despite Lone Ranger, Depp is still one of the biggest stars in Hollywood. He’s a household name that’s known by kids, teens, and their parents. On Monday, it was announced that Hollywood royalty Michael Douglas was cast as Hank Pym in Ant-Man, and- assuming they can work out the details- an announcement about Depp could be forthcoming.

Of note, if Johnny Depp does decide to don the cape, it would involve a bit of a script overhaul. I spoke to El Mayimbe, and he was quick to note that the original script had a 30-year-old Dr. Strange. He has an intimate knowledge of the script (you can check out his in-depth analysis HERE and HERE), but he agrees with me that Marvel wouldn’t hesitate to alter things if it meant signing a star on the level of Johnny Depp.

To be clear, this would have no bearing on Marvel’s Phase 2 plans, or The Avengers: Age of Ultron. This is strictly Phase 3 stuff, with Marvel initially eyeing 2016 as the year to unleash Dr. Strange on mainstream audiences. So if it happens, the soonest we’d likely see Depp is in a post-credits sequence in Ultron.

Also thought I’d mention that my source, when it was mentioned how Depp has been a fanboy casting favorite for Strange for quite some time, implied that that may be one of the elements that brought the two sides together.

As always, though, let me remind you that this is Hollywood. Plans change. Offers expire. Negotiations stall. So while Depp has met with Marvel, and both sides want this to work, it doesn’t mean it will.

Keep an eye on this space as I get my hands on more details, and let’s see if these two giants of the industry actually come to terms and make a deal, or if it falls apart in a back room somewhere.
Also after Ant-Man... the next slate of films are due out May 6, 2016, July 8, 2016 and May 5, 2017.

Last edited by dex14; 01-14-14 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects - Rumors, casting, etc.

Seems interesting, but I'm not sure I can trust Depp anymore. He plays the same "character" in every movie. I don't want a Jack Sparrow version of Dr. Strange.
Old 01-14-14, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense but do we really need a topic like this? Why not just make a thread for the film project?
Old 01-14-14, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
No offense but do we really need a topic like this? Why not just make a thread for the film project?
I thought it would be a better idea than opening multiple different threads on rumors, like Vin Diesel has a secret with Marvel!, Katee Sackoff may play Ms. Marvel!, will we get a {fill in the blank hero} movie?!?!, etc. etc.

If nobody likes the idea, I'll get rid of it.
Old 01-14-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I like it. I saw the news last night and was trying to think of where to put it without creating an entire Dr. Strange thread based off a rumor.
Old 01-14-14, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get what you're saying.

We should probably get a Strange thread though. We know they want to make him the next big thing.
Old 01-14-14, 09:48 AM

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,064 Posts

I like it and I'm not nobody!

Also, I pretty much don't know a thing about Dr. Strange. I wonder if the general public knows him much at all, except for that beautiful cape and mustache combo.

Old 01-14-14, 09:52 AM

Also... just so its referenced...
Katee Sackhoff hints at Ms. Marvel role: http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/katee-sac...164800479.html
Old 01-14-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I like it and I'm not nobody!

Also, I pretty much don't know a thing about Dr. Strange. I wonder if the general public knows him much at all, except for that beautiful cape and mustache combo.

Unfortunately the costume, which I personally love the operatic design of, will likely be among the first things to be jettisoned for a more 'relatable' set of duds in a desperate attempt to not alienate the alpha crowd whose mocking derision could keep everyone, save for the die-hard nerds, away.

Not sure how I feel about Depp. I've long thought he was over exposed and I usually avoid anything he is in now. OTOH, of all the bankable actors out there (Viggo is not bankable) he doesn't seem that far off base. I would prefer someone else , but I'll try to keep an open mind.

FWIW, Dr Strange is one property I'm very excited to see on the big screen. Lot of potential with this property to deliver something fresh that we've haven't seen yet in a 'superhero' movie (I haven't seen Constantine though...there may be some overlap in the execution of that one)
Old 01-14-14, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Depp should be good for a guy named Strange. He should play him as Sparrow playing Strange.
Old 01-14-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Also... just so its referenced...
Katee Sackhoff hints at Ms. Marvel role: http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/katee-sac...164800479.html
There was a thread with some discussion surrounding this article.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...rvel-role.html

But you are the mod, if you want to keep all of that discussion in here that is fine.
Old 01-14-14, 11:39 AM

I know there was a thread for it. I just figured it would be a good idea to start one where rumors could go. We don't know the slate of Phase 3 films... so until we do I thought 1 thread for discussion on this would be a good idea? There seemed to be a lot of discussion on potential projects, but no real place to put it. As I said...if there's a general consensus of disagreement I'll trash it. No big deal.

Last edited by dex14; 01-14-14 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Never mind.....

Everybody Steps Down From Johnny Depp Doctor Strange Claims, Film Back On Drawing Board

Ok, that didn’t take long.

It makes sense that such a bombshell claim would get film reporters all over LA on the case, and so they have, and have come back with this conclusion: Johnny Depp will probably not star as the titular Doctor Strange in a planned Marvel movie.

He did have a meeting, yes, but Deadline says it took place a while ago and went nowhere. Meanwhile, Variety have walked back their previous “early talks” reporting, on which so much of this excitement stemmed and, according to The Hollywood Reporter’s Borys Kit, the studio is having an entirely new script written.

So this is either a bummer or a dodged bullet, depending on your perspective (I’ll be breathing a sigh of relief over here).

Coming soon for Depp will be the sequel to 2010′s Alice in Wonderland. Brendon’s still digging into some stories on that one, but he has told me:

[Director] James Bobin and Disney are looking at both actors and actresses for their villain, Time.
Time as a villain certainly fits in with our previous scoop that the film will see younger versions of both Alice and the Mad Hatter as well.

And Depp’s certainly not hurting for other projects. Deadline also reports Depp is back at the negotiating table to play iconic mobster Whitey Bulger in Black Mass, and that Out of the Furnace director Scott Cooper is in talks to direct it. Depp’s initial contract talks to star in the film fell apart last year, allegedly over money.

So I suppose the door isn’t totally closed for him to play Doctor Strange one day, even if the current talks amounted to nothing. And in the meantime, plenty of other projects to look forward to for the Depp fans out there.
Bleeding Cool
Old 01-14-14, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First movie for phase 4 is announced:

Squirrel Girl
Old 01-14-14, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Viggo Mortensen would be good but he's too good an actor.
Old 01-14-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
First movie for phase 4 is announced:

Squirrel Girl
Wait, are they setting up a Great Lakes Avengers movie?
Old 01-14-14, 07:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was not a fan of the Depp as Strange idea, so I'm glad that's not going forward.

As for the costume, I think Paul confused Marvel for DC there for a minute.
Old 01-14-14, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Depp already played Dr. Strange in many movies.

No need for more.
Old 01-14-14, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The less Depp, the better.
Old 01-16-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Who knows if this is actually true, but Jon Hamm, anyone?

EXCLUSIVE: Jon Hamm Will Play DOCTOR STRANGE For Marvel Studios
Jan 15, 2014 Billy Donnelly

It’s no secret that Doctor Strange is going to be a key component for Marvel Studios going forward into future Phases of their Cinematic Universe. Kevin Feige, President of Production at Marvel Studios, has made no attempts to hide his love for the character and has remarked that a DOCTOR STRANGE movie is something they’re looking to get going sooner rather than later as the MCU continues to expand. While it hasn’t been confirmed yet by Marvel, DOCTOR STRANGE will be introduced in Phase Three of the MCU, and will be positioned as the centerpiece going forward, as things begin to transition away from Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark/Iron Man.

It wasn’t too long ago that RDJ struck a two-picture deal with Marvel to return for AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON and whatever THE AVENGERS 3 is going to be called, being used more as a special attraction for these big assemblies of superheroes every couple of years than as a solo act. So who is set to fill that void and become the next big breakout character? It’s not going to be Thor, who is heading into what would be the final chapter of a trilogy, nor Captain America, who is on a similar timeline. No, with a need for fresh character blood in the MCU, it’s lining up to be Doctor Strange.

And for all the conjecture that’s been thrown out about who’d be a good fit in the role, all the jockeying for inclusion in the blossoming MCU by actors and their representation and all the non-stories about meetings that went nowhere, our sources indicate to us that the guy Marvel has set up to play Doctor Stephen Strange is none other than JON HAMM.

That’s right… the man we’ve come to know as MAD MEN’s Don Draper has been cast as the Sorcerer Supreme and Master of the Mystic Arts.

Look at the top of most “Who Should Play Doctor Strange?” lists, and you’ll find Hamm’s name prominently displayed as the right match for the role, an opinion Marvel shares as well. There are still reservations about Hamm fronting such a big piece of Marvel’s future, but those nerves seem to surround every choice Marvel makes for their leads until their respective films are in production and things settle in nicely.

Most of the issues seem to be with Hamm’s age (42), but let’s remember that Robert Downey Jr. was right around the same age when IRON MAN was released theatrically, and that worked out well for everyone involved. DOCTOR STRANGE had originally been written for a younger actor in the lead, but there’s nothing in the early drafts of the script that couldn’t be altered to accommodate Hamm. Needless to say, it’s not a deal-breaker.

Hamm’s calendar is letting up at the perfect time with his time on MAD MEN coming to an end, with AMC running the first half of the show’s final season this year with the series wrapping up completely by 2015, and for all the talk of Hamm being the best choice for a number of superhero roles that have come up in recent years from Superman to Batman, fans can finally get excited that he’s a match for one that is about to become very important.

Johnny Depp was never a serious candidate for the role and neither was Joseph Gordon-Levitt, whose name seems to be linked with anything Marvel that comes down the pipeline and had been floated around online in recent months as being a DOCTOR STRANGE possibility. Patrick Dempsey, who had made public his desire to get a shot at the role, was under consideration for a quick second before Marvel moved onto other possibilities, but the other actor who seemed to make a real run at landing the titular role in DOCTOR STRANGE was JUSTIFIED’s Timothy Olyphant. The decision-makers over at Marvel were really high on Olyphant, who I’m told finished a close second in the running and could be called upon with the quickness if anything fell through before Marvel makes their official announcement; they just happened to be even higher on Hamm, which is how he ended up being the guy.

Requests from comment from Marvel, Hamm, Olyphant and Dempsey were all met with silence, as to be expected, and the denials may start rolling in in no time, but, as one insider remarked to me as we worked hard to nail down this story, “I don’t bet… but, if I did, I’d make a lot of money if I wagered on Jon Hamm.” Could something change between now and when Marvel makes this official? Of course. This is Hollywood we’re talking about, but, based on what we know, I’m very confident in the fact that from now on, when you see Jon Hamm, you’ll be taking a good look at Doctor Stephen Strange.
http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/01/15...octor-strange/
Old 01-16-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Interesting to see that they are planning on shifting focus away from Iron Man to Dr. Strange. It would add some real weight to these films if they could kill major characters off when actors are ready to move on. The Marvel films put a ton of emphasis on continuity and recasting major roles like Iron Man would just be awkward. I would applaud them for killing the characters off to make it more dramatic... that is if they can refrain from bringing the characters back in a spin off TV show..
Old 01-16-14, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
The Marvel films put a ton of emphasis on continuity and recasting major roles like Iron Man would just be awkward.
They have already recast both James Rhodes and Bruce Banner.
Old 01-16-14, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

I don't think Marvel cares at all about actor continuity, if that means they can keep their budgets down. RDJ got to stick around because his appearance as Iron Man in a film meant hundreds of millions in box office revenue.

I'm glad Depp won't be Strange, bringing him into the role would necessitate a very middle-of-the-road, mainstream approach. As someone else said, they will jettison his familiar look.
Old 01-16-14, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
They have already recast both James Rhodes and Bruce Banner.
Neither actor owned their role like RDJ did with Tony Stark, and Rhodes definitely isn't a major character. Do you think Marvel will have anybody else playing Stark anytime soon?
Old 01-16-14, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Neither actor owned their role like RDJ did with Tony Stark, and Rhodes definitely isn't a major character. Do you think Marvel will have anybody else playing Stark anytime soon?
Yes. Iron Man is no different than James Bond, Batman, Superman, or Spider-Man. Once RDJ says he's done, Marvel will get someone else. Its not like Marvel is just going to quit using Iron Man just because RDJ calls it quits. That's dumb, like throwing money in the trash. As long as Iron Man continues to sell, he will continue on with or without RDJ.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.