Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 09-26-15, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Jason
Stan Lee?

We'll find out he's really God and has been scripting the whole storyline. The FF did this with Jack Kirby (I think) once.
Reminds me of that article someone wrote about how Stan Lee is actually Uatu or one of the other Watchers.
Old 09-26-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
This still doesn't really answer my question as to what you think is different after Disney, unless you think Marvel would have shaken things up much more if Disney wasn't involved. If so, i'd disagree with that and think Marvel would have continued down this same path.
We lost any chance of another Hulk solo movie when Disney took over. I also believe the handling of the Mandarin would have been very different without Disney around.
Old 09-26-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I don't know if there's no hope for another Hulk solo film. I know Universal technically owns the film rights to the character but they don't seem very antsy to do much with him. Plus to be fair the character had two shots in a relatively short period and didn't catch on as a solo character (although I think The Incredible Hulk was better than the Ang Lee film). I think Hulk is tricky to get right and the team aspect of The Avengers suits him pretty well.

I do agree that Marvel did mess up with The Mandarin although the All Hail the King one shot kind of redeemed the character. Now it's just a matter of whether or not they'll bring him back.
Old 09-26-15, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
We lost any chance of another Hulk solo movie when Disney took over. I also believe the handling of the Mandarin would have been very different without Disney around.
Anything to back up that last bit?

Cuz i don't see how Disney could have influenced that. Pearce has talked about how he came up w/ the actor bit and it went from there. Marvel approved. And on it went. Also remember that... Disney in that that timeline left Marvel on its own. Any creative nature was all Marvel. So I'm a bit confused at how Disney owning Marvel could have made that aspect of IM3 come to fruition.
Old 09-26-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Anything to back up that last bit?

Cuz i don't see how Disney could have influenced that. Pearce has talked about how he came up w/ the actor bit and it went from there. Marvel approved. And on it went. Also remember that... Disney in that that timeline left Marvel on its own. Any creative nature was all Marvel. So I'm a bit confused at how Disney owning Marvel could have made that aspect of IM3 come to fruition.
Yup, I don't see how either of those two things were as a result of Disney.

But as i've pointed out before, you seem to make these random assumptions. Even with the latest rumors in this thread, it sounded more like any creative decisions and issues were as a result of Marvel itself rather then Disney.

Last edited by fumanstan; 09-26-15 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-26-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't know if there's no hope for another Hulk solo film. I know Universal technically owns the film rights to the character but they don't seem very antsy to do much with him. Plus to be fair the character had two shots in a relatively short period and didn't catch on as a solo character (although I think The Incredible Hulk was better than the Ang Lee film). I think Hulk is tricky to get right and the team aspect of The Avengers suits him pretty well.
It's a unique character. Iron Man, Cap and Thor needed fleshed out before they could become a team, while Hulk has finally developed into a real character after being part of the Avengers ensemble. A solo Hulk movie would finally work, especially if Banner is either in control, or if Hulk has stabilized.
Old 09-26-15, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

The fact that we don't have another Hulk movie could absolutely be because of Disney. The deal with Hulk is that Marvel can use him in other MCU films, but Hulk branded films must be distributed by Universal (Marvel would still have creative control). This was fine in the days before Disney, as Marvel didn't have a distribution arm. Now that Marvel is Disney and all MCU films are distributed by Disney, I could see them avoiding a Hulk solo film because they don't want to split the profits with Universal.

For example, Ant-Man is a success because it was less expensive and it was all in house. If they did a Hulk movie, and it did Ant-Man like numbers, it wouldn't be considered a success, because it would undoubtedly cost more, and profits would have to be shared with Universal.
Old 09-26-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wasn't Iron Man 3 in production before marvel was bought out?
Old 09-26-15, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The fact that we don't have another Hulk movie could absolutely be because of Disney. The deal with Hulk is that Marvel can use him in other MCU films, but Hulk branded films must be distributed by Universal (Marvel would still have creative control). This was fine in the days before Disney, as Marvel didn't have a distribution arm. Now that Marvel is Disney and all MCU films are distributed by Disney, I could see them avoiding a Hulk solo film because they don't want to split the profits with Universal.
Like I said though I'm not entirely sure that Universal really wants to make a Hulk film at this point. If I understand correctly they could technically release a film without having Disney's approval and the fact that they haven't done anything with the character for seven years while comic book films and the Marvel brand in general are hot seems odd. I think they know it's probably a tougher character to sell solo and were probably turned off by two films they released having underwhelming performances at the box office. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if they'd cooperate with Disney fairly easily especially since they're letting them use the character in The Avengers films.
Old 09-26-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

The Hulk was probably the second-most popular Marvel character with the general public before Iron Man came out. Making a Hulk solo movie is not a tough sell if Disney owned his film rights 100%.

As for the Mandarin, I don't believe anyone with a background in comic books would ever waste the character like that in Iron Man 3. That choice stinks of outside Hollywood interference for fear that the Chinese box office would revolt.
Old 09-27-15, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Wasn't Iron Man 3 in production before marvel was bought out?
Doubtful. Disney bought Marvel in 2009, IM3 came out in 2013.
Old 09-27-15, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

IM3 still had some remnants of the pre-Disney distribution deal with Paramount. Thor: The Dark World was the first film completely under the Marvel Studios banner (which is why Feige had a new Marvel logo created).
Old 09-27-15, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

For example, Ant-Man is a success because it was less expensive and it was all in house. If they did a Hulk movie, and it did Ant-Man like numbers, it wouldn't be considered a success, because it would undoubtedly cost more, and profits would have to be shared with Universal.
As Valeyard mentioned, Marvel ended up partnering up with Paramount for distribution so I'm not sure it's a given that we would have seen more from Hulk/Universal either. I don't disagree that it's further solidified with Disney, but i'm sure if they felt they had a sure fire hit they would make something happen.

The Hulk was probably the second-most popular Marvel character with the general public before Iron Man came out. Making a Hulk solo movie is not a tough sell if Disney owned his film rights 100%.
Popularity doesn't matter much when it comes behind two fairly disappointing solo movies; that most certainly makes it a tough sale.

As for Mandarin, while the China thing is at least more grounded speculation we had Favreau all the way back when Iron Man 1 came out talking about how he didn't want to use the character.
Old 09-27-15, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
As Valeyard mentioned, Marvel ended up partnering up with Paramount for distribution so I'm not sure it's a given that we would have seen more from Hulk/Universal either. I don't disagree that it's further solidified with Disney, but i'm sure if they felt they had a sure fire hit they would make something happen.
Yes, they were partnered with Paramount for everything but Hulk, but if you're an independent studio like Marvel was at the time, does it really make a difference if you're distributing one film thru Universal and the others thru Paramount? Either way you're splitting the profits with somebody. The partnership with Paramount was already in place at the time Hulk came out, they just made special arrangements with Universal for Hulk, because they wanted to do Hulk.

Now that everything but Hulk is in house, Disney keeps all the profits. I'm not saying that a new Hulk solo film would be a surefire hit, but I am saying that they might be more inclined to take that risk if they didn't have to distribute thru Universal.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 09-27-15 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-27-15, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86
Like I said though I'm not entirely sure that Universal really wants to make a Hulk film at this point. If I understand correctly they could technically release a film without having Disney's approval and the fact that they haven't done anything with the character for seven years while comic book films and the Marvel brand in general are hot seems odd. I think they know it's probably a tougher character to sell solo and were probably turned off by two films they released having underwhelming performances at the box office. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if they'd cooperate with Disney fairly easily especially since they're letting them use the character in The Avengers films.
I don't know that it's true that Universal could make a Hulk film without Marvel at this point. Maybe they could, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that. Even if they could, they probably don't want to, because it's expensive, and they don't know the right way to handle it.

Universal didn't make TIH. Marvel did. Universal just distributed it, much like Paramount distributed the other early Marvel Studios films. Disney/Marvel could do that again any time that they wanted to, and Universal would happily distribute it, but Disney doesn't want to do that.
Old 09-27-15, 08:40 AM
Banned

As for the Mandarin, I don't believe anyone with a background in comic books would ever waste the character like that in Iron Man 3. That choice stinks of outside Hollywood interference for fear that the Chinese box office would revolt.
You really don't want to believe that it just happened the way it did, don't you?

Do i like that they did that to the character that is IM's biggest foe? No.

Do I like that it happened in the movie? Yes, I thought it was great. I didn't expect it and it was handled well w/ Trevor.
Old 09-27-15, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm sure that was part of it, but before we were shown the man behind the curtain, the Mandarin was an awesome villain. Easily the best bad guy in the trilogy. I think he was enough of a badass that Chinese audiences would have enjoyed him. Making him a drunk British actor was actually more insulting.
Old 09-27-15, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

You guys have all been fooled. That was not the end of the Mandarin. "Travis" was his cover.
Old 09-27-15, 09:41 AM
Banned

I did hate how Marvel backtracked and made the Mandarin a real thing though via All Hail The King. Such a great tease.
Old 09-27-15, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know that it's true that Universal could make a Hulk film without Marvel at this point. Maybe they could, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that. Even if they could, they probably don't want to, because it's expensive, and they don't know the right way to handle it.
It'd be interesting get clarification on this. From the way it sounds Universal owns the rights to the character and should technically be able to make a film using him but they'd have to get Marvel's approval.

Universal didn't make TIH. Marvel did. Universal just distributed it, much like Paramount distributed the other early Marvel Studios films. Disney/Marvel could do that again any time that they wanted to, and Universal would happily distribute it, but Disney doesn't want to do that.
It seems like some people want to make Disney out as this big bad who won't cooperate with anyone. They've already proven if they want a character bad enough that they'll play ball with another studio. There were extenuating circumstances with the Spider-Man deal but the fact that they are working with Sony proves to me that they probably are willing to work with others. I think that the Hulk has been off to a shakey start as far as solo films go so they probably are waiting for the right time to try something with him again. It sort of seems like with the end of Age of Ultron that something potentially will happen with his character. Whether that's a new solo film or not remains to be seen.
Old 09-27-15, 11:07 AM
Banned

Universal has distribution but not production rights for the Hulk character solo films.

Marvel can put Hulk in whatever film they have... EXCEPT if it's a Hulk. Film. Hulk WAS going to be in Cap 3. But they changed that. So Hulk has unlimited use by Marvel in being put in any film that isn't a Hulk film.
Old 09-27-15, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, they were partnered with Paramount for everything but Hulk, but if you're an independent studio like Marvel was at the time, does it really make a difference if you're distributing one film thru Universal and the others thru Paramount? Either way you're splitting the profits with somebody. The partnership with Paramount was already in place at the time Hulk came out, they just made special arrangements with Universal for Hulk, because they wanted to do Hulk.

Now that everything but Hulk is in house, Disney keeps all the profits. I'm not saying that a new Hulk solo film would be a surefire hit, but I am saying that they might be more inclined to take that risk if they didn't have to distribute thru Universal.
Without knowing what the actual deals were in place though, all we can do is speculate and assume like PhantomStranger. Disney also bought the distribution rights from Paramount for the last few movies in their contract, so I have to think if they really really wanted another Hulk movie they would make something happen.

In the end, I think whatever effect Disney actually has on a solo Hulk movies is fairly minor. I just don't think we've seen anything to indicate a Hulk movie would have been back on the table already with or without Disney.
Old 09-27-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The citation on Wikipedia about Hulk says this -

"
Hughes, Mark (June 19, 2015). "Details Of Marvel's 'Hulk' Film Rights - Fans Can Relax About Sequel". Forbes. Archived from the original on June 21, 2015. Retrieved June 21, 2015. ...despite obtaining the cinematic rights to make Hulk movies, Marvel did not obtain distribution rights. Universal held those rights... the exact situation is that Universal currently retains the right of first refusal to distribute any Hulk films in the future. If for some reason Universal chose to forgo distribution, then Disney would immediately pick up the distribution rights for the Hulk movie."
Old 09-27-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So really Disney could make a Hulk film fairly easily because either they work out a deal where Universal distributes the film or Universal declines and they get the character back anyways.

Universal really doesn't seem to have thought out that deal very well. They give up the rights pretty easily plus give Disney the option to use the character in any other film they choose pretty much.
Old 09-27-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wonder if it was something built in to the original deal they had when they licensed out the character and after the rights reverted back.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.