Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

I think that Captain America 4 would be too early for such a dramatic change. Keep Chris Evans on board as long as possible - he's great as Steve Rogers.

And I'm all for recasting Tony Stark when RDJ decides to hang it up. No reboots. Do it like they used to do James Bond.
Old 04-08-14, 01:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

Just think of a recasting like a different artist replacing the previous artist in a comic.
Old 04-08-14, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I'm not sure how much of Brubaker's CAP you read, but after
Spoiler:
Cap died
there were like 9-10 issues with Falcon and Agent 13 that, for me, were some of the best of the run.
Dude. I loved all of it. Brubaker revitalized that comic.

Sharon and Sam's issues were solid. And it also the first time I gave a damn about Crossbones. Love him now. Even more excited that Grillo will go there.

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I think that Captain America 4 would be too early for such a dramatic change. Keep Chris Evans on board as long as possible - he's great as Steve Rogers.

And I'm all for recasting Tony Stark when RDJ decides to hang it up. No reboots. Do it like they used to do James Bond.
I don't think Marvel Studios believes in reboots within their movie continuity now.

The difference between IM and Bond, for the most part, is that Bond typically stayed the same throughout. Sure he'd get some emotional BS but normally each film presented itself rather seperate. Continuity wasn't a big deal at some point. With Marvel? It's a big fucking deal.

A recasting is bound to happen. It'll be very interesting to see who takes over that role.

I'd also want more Evans as Cap. Cap has now solidified his understanding of the modern now. He's a man with his own direction. So I'm very keen on seeing him go from Cap 2 onward. While not as strong as RDJr's ownership of IM, I think Evans has done really well showing this whole growth of the character. The slight naïve nature Cap has had up to this point and his Boy Scout nature. He has portrayed a good young Cap. I think we're hitting a more seasoned Cap now. So that's cool too.
Old 04-08-14, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We don't need a recasting. Let these characters rest, and give other characters a chance to shine. Iron Man, Cap, and likely Thor will have had 3 solo movies plus 3 Avengers movies. That's plenty. After that Marvel/Disney should focus on building other characters like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange as the New Avengers. Marvel has plenty of other characters to use besides IM, Cap, and Thor. Don't become like DC with tossing Batman into everything. Let them rest.
Old 04-08-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Evans is only contracted for 6 movies, and it seems like he wants to hang it up for a bit after that.
Old 04-09-14, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Evans is only contracted for 6 movies, and it seems like he wants to hang it up for a bit after that.
Contracts get extended all the time. This would be a great time for his agent to negotiate for CAP 4. He has made the role his own.

It's too soon to kill off Steve Rogers, and as Chris Evans is still fairly young he can easily make it through CAP 4.

It took Marvel Comics over 6 DECADES before they killed off Steve Rogers. It should take Marvel Studios at least 4 or 5 Cap movies before they do the same.
Old 04-09-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Contracts get extended all the time. This would be a great time for his agent to negotiate for CAP 4. He has made the role his own.

It's too soon to kill off Steve Rogers, and as Chris Evans is still fairly young he can easily make it through CAP 4.

It took Marvel Comics over 6 DECADES before they killed off Steve Rogers. It should take Marvel Studios at least 4 or 5 Cap movies before they do the same.
Well it seems like Evans wants to get behind the film, and not act for awhile, but it could be negotiating tactic.
Old 04-09-14, 10:54 AM
Banned

Yes, contracts get extended. RDJ was originally only contracted for four movies, the three solo Iron Man movies plus Avengers. It was later extended to include Avengers 2 and 3.

Six decades of comics isn't comparable to the movies. It's apples and oranges. If you include the three Avengers movies, Steve Rogers will have been in six movies anyway.
Old 04-09-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

It also took Marvel 6 Decades
Spoiler:
to bring back Bucky
, but MCU only took 2 Cap movies.

EDIT: Added spoiler tags, in case anyone reading this hasn't seen Cap 2 yet and isn't familiar with the Winter Soldier story.
Old 04-09-14, 03:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, given that The Winter Soldier is one of, if not the most important storyline for Captain America since WWII, that's not a huge surprise.
Old 04-09-14, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did Marvel ever think of bringing him back before Brubaker did?

It's funny. I honestly didn't feel much for him in the first film cuz he's not much of someone in it. But holy hell were we raised on his end in the comics. I never cared for him in the original issues but the ones that further expanded Cap's WW2 history after he got out of the ice? We had a lot of good stuff. Fucking LOVE the Invaders run from the 1970s. Was exciting for me as a kid to read about these WW2 heroes. And then I read Marvels #1. Fuck, man. That was awsome as hell. I loved being a kid reading those old comics.
Old 04-09-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
It also took Marvel 6 Decades
Spoiler:
to bring back Bucky
, but MCU only took 2 Cap movies.
Yes, but as Chris Evans is doing so well in the role and is very popular just from a business standpoint I wouldn't want to replace him until I absolutely had to - just like RDJ.

The changing of the guard can wait. There is NO reason to rush it. That would be like getting rid of Sean Connery before he was ready to leave the role of James Bond. You go with a winning combination as long as you can.

The fans love Evans, he's great in the role, the movies are good, and Marvel is making money. Why risk it any sooner than they have to?
Old 04-09-14, 03:18 PM

Yes, but as Chris Evans is doing so well in the role and is very popular just from a business standpoint I wouldn't want to replace him until I absolutely had to - just like RDJ.

The changing of the guard can wait. There is NO reason to rush it. That would be like getting rid of Sean Connery before he was ready to leave the role of James Bond. You go with a winning combination as long as you can.

The fans love Evans, he's great in the role, the movies are good, and Marvel is making money. Why risk it any sooner than they have to?
I agree with everything you said, and I would do everything I could to bring Evans back, but if they're convinced he won't sign a new deal, doing the Death storyline isn't the worst way to replace him, it's all set up for them already.
Old 04-09-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Chris Evans is the second most important actor in the Marvel filmverse. Getting rid of him would be a huge mistake and Warner would almost certainly snap him up for one of their Justice League roles.
Old 04-09-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with everything you said, and I would do everything I could to bring Evans back, but if they're convinced he won't sign a new deal, doing the Death storyline isn't the worst way to replace him, it's all set up for them already.
I've never heard or read any comments from him that he doesn't want to continue after this contract is up. Hell, he would have continued with the Fantastic Four movies had those continued with that creative team and cast.

I don't think it will be all that hard for Marvel to get him to sign for CAP 4 and maybe even CAP 5 & Avengers 4. After that I'd imagine that he'll be done.

We'll see. I sure hope that everyone realizes just how good a thing they've got going here.

Yes, down the line, when he is absolutely, positively done with the role and either can't do it or just really doesn't want to any more, then you bring in the death of Steve Rogers storyline and have a new Captain America just like the comics. But if Marvel is smart they'll do everything they can to put that off as long as possible.
Old 04-09-14, 03:38 PM

Again, I didn't say that they should get rid of him. He supposedly doesn't want to act anymore after the Marvel contract is done. It could be posturing, but if that's true, what else are going to do?
Old 04-09-14, 03:40 PM

I've never heard or read any comments from him that he doesn't want to continue after this contract is up. Hell, he would have continued with the Fantastic Four movies had those continued with that creative team and cast.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ca...nd-1201144687/
Old 04-09-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, I didn't say that they should get rid of him. He supposedly doesn't want to act anymore after the Marvel contract is done. It could be posturing, but if that's true, what else are going to do?
He doesn't want to act at all, or he just wants to move on to other kinds of roles?

I'd be willing to bet that they'll be able to sign him for CAP 4 if they give him a fair deal.

Actors often say they won't or don't want to do it anymore, only to sign on later. Roger Moore comes to mind. After Moonraker he was on an individual movie contract. He had to renegotiate and re-sign for each Bond movie after that. Each time before pre-production on the new Bond movie he said he thought he was done, only to come back. He came back 3 times after saying that he thought he was done.

It's all posturing. And sometimes a little fatigue. Rest and money go a long way towards getting an actor re-signed.
Old 04-09-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, so he wants to direct. That's interesting. Well, hopefully some rest will give him a chance to think about it - and doing the Captain America movies will give him more name recognition and more directing opportunities.

Maybe Marvel/Disney finds a way to get creative and signs him to a contract that gives him one directorial gig for each time he plays Captain America. Let him bring in scripts that he'd like to film, or let him see projects that are in the works that he might be a good directorial fit on. There are ways to get it done - incentives that make it almost impossible to say, "No."
Old 04-09-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Well, given that The Winter Soldier is one of, if not the most important storyline for Captain America since WWII, that's not a huge surprise.
But I wanted a Captain America vs. Paste Pot Pete movie!

Old 04-09-14, 06:02 PM
Banned

Paste Pot Pete kicked Spider-Man's ass.
Old 04-09-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Paste Pot Pete was always one of my favorite villains when he showed up in Amazing Spider-Man. I am being dead serious, if people think I'm joking.
Old 04-10-14, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Chris Evans is the second most important actor in the Marvel filmverse. Getting rid of him would be a huge mistake and Warner would almost certainly snap him up for one of their Justice League roles.
The only reason they'd "get rid of him" is because he's expressed an interest in getting away from acting and into directing. That being the case, I don't see him being enticed by another superhero role if he's left behind a successful one in order to direct.
Old 04-14-14, 02:51 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Chadwick Boseman on Black Panther rumors, Draft Day and James Brown

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ptJ04oATYu8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-14-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would prefer Ejoifor especially if they are wanting Panther lead the 'New' Avengers. But this is not a bad choice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.