Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 04:46 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

With the rights to the Fantastic Four back in Marvel’s hands, it seems they’ve already started planning how to introduce the First Family.

The GWW is hearing, but cannot confirm, that Marvel Studios is aiming for a 2022 release for the ‘Fantastic Four’ reboot. Sources also say that ‘Ant-Man’ director Peyton Reed is pushing to direct, and has already pitched his vision for the movie to Feige multiple times. Reed’s pitch includes a 1960s setting that involves the Quantum Realm, and possibly The Black Knight.

Reed has publicly stated his interest in setting a ‘Fantastic Four’ movie in the 60s, even going so far as to pitch to Fox when they had the rights.

“Visually, one of the things we always talked about – and this was 2003 – was The Fantastic Four as daytime superheroes. They don’t have secret identities. They’re very much a part of the fabric of Manhattan. In that universe, if you go to New York to the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty or the Baxter Building, it was all a part of that. We talked about it being a ’60s period movie, but Fox at the time was not into it.”
Kevin Feige plans on bringing Marvel to Hall H at San Diego Comic Con this year, it’s possible he reveals the release date for ‘Fantastic Four’ there. Marvel has a few dates booked for 2022, including February 18th, May 6th, and and July 19th. February is likely ‘Captain Marvel 2’, with ‘Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3’ being May 6th, so July 19th makes the most sense.

The Fantastic Four were first created by Marvel Comics legend Stan Lee, and followed Mr. Fantastic, a man who has the ability to stretch his body any way he desires, Invisible Woman, who has the ability to turn invisible and generate force fields, Human Torch, who has the ability to engulf himself in flames, fly, and absorb fire, and The Thing, a man with super strength who is made up entirely of rocks.

Peyton Reed directed the first two ‘Ant-Man’ movies for Marvel Studios, as well as three episodes of the TV series ‘New Girl’.
https://thegww.com/rumor-marvel-stud...ing-to-direct/
Old 06-06-19, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

That would be the ideal setting for the first film. Can’t wait.

Last edited by Toddarino; 06-07-19 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Problem is, if you set it in the 60's, you can't really fold them into the MCU without time travel shenanigans.
Old 06-06-19, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It does mention the quantum realm. And I guess with Cap retired they could take up the “hero out of time” mantle.
Old 06-07-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Definetely in on the 60s setup. It would really help differentiate itself from the rest
Now to get Krasinski and wife
Old 06-07-19, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Chris Evans would make a great Johnny Storm!!
Old 06-09-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Problem is, if you set it in the 60's, you can't really fold them into the MCU without time travel shenanigans.
Maybe they won't fold them into today's MCU.

We've never heard mention of the FF but that doesn't mean they couldn't have existed in the 1960's in the MCU. You could do a period piece and have them journey into the Negative Zone (actually the quantum realm) never to return. Leave it up in the air as to if or when they will return. Doing a second FF movie that doesn't take place on earth or connect with the overall continuity is no different than what they did with GOTG Volume 2.

Of course, you bring them back for the big tentpole event storyline, be it secret wars or whatever (Galactus!) but you don't have to start the movie in the 1960's and have the Torch doing a Marvel Team Up with Spider-Man by the end of the movie.
Old 06-09-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Of course, you bring them back for the big tentpole event storyline, be it secret wars or whatever (Galactus!) but you don't have to start the movie in the 1960's and have the Torch doing a Marvel Team Up with Spider-Man by the end of the movie.
That's IT!!! They should do a Marvel Team-Up series of movies!

That was always one of my favorite titles... (Especially the Spider-Man and the Frankenstein Monster/Man-Wolf issues - great stuff!)
Old 06-10-19, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
That's IT!!! They should do a Marvel Team-Up series of movies!

That was always one of my favorite titles... (Especially the Spider-Man and the Frankenstein Monster/Man-Wolf issues - great stuff!)
It would be interesting to see Spidey and the Not Ready for Prime Time Players team up on the big screen...
Old 07-06-19, 12:05 PM

Mark your calendars, true believers: A year after skipping altogether, Marvel Studios is returning to Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con for a first look at the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe after “Avengers: Endgame” and “Spider-Man: Far From Home.”

The company has also reclaimed its traditional late afternoon Saturday spot, locking down the biggest room at SDCC from 5:15 to 6:45 p.m. on July 20.

As usual, Marvel is keeping the details of the hour-and-a-half presentation under wraps, but individuals with knowledge of the matter tell TheWrap that the “Avengers” cast are being re-assembled for a post-“Endgame” victory lap. But that’s definitely not all: If previous Marvel Hall H shows are a guide, expect a rapid-fire series of release dates, clips, huge casting announcements and new project reveals before it’s all over.

Your guess is as good as ours as to what we’ll see, but the studio’s announced-upcoming slate includes sequels like “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” “Black Panther 2” and “Doctor Strange 2,” as well a solo “Black Widow” film. It’s likely most or all of these projects will get at least a mention during the presentation, but Marvel also has two entirely new projects in the works — “The Eternals” and “Shang-Chi” — that we’ll probably hear a lot about.

To be directed by Chloe Zhao (“The Rider”) from a script by blacklist screenwriters Matthew and Ryan Firpo, “The Eternals” will focus on the race of ancient, superpowered humans created by Jack Kirby in 1976. TheWrap exclusively reported last month that Salma Hayek is in talks to star in the film alongside Richard Madden and Kumail Nanjiani, as well as South Korean actor Ma Dong-seok, also known as Don Lee, who will make his American film debut.

Meanwhile, “Shang-Chi,” based on the Asian-American Marvel Comics kung fu hero first introduced in 1973, will be directed by Destin Daniel Cretton.

No cast has been reported for “Shang Chi,” and Marvel has yet to confirm any casting for “The Eternals,” but that will almost certainly change come SDCC. Expect some big names on stage later this month.

We also wouldn’t be surprised if the studio uses SDCC to announce a sequel to $1.1 billion-earning “Captain Marvel,” but of course, the elephant, er, mouse in the room is Disney’s $71.3 billion purchase of 20th Century Fox, which, among other things, returned the film rights for “X-Men” and “Fantastic Four” to Marvel.

Will the Uncanny X-Men join the Avengers? More importantly (to us, anyway), will the superheroes whose adventures launched the Marvel Universe all the way back in 1961 with “Fantastic Four” #1 finally, finally make their way into the MCU? We’ll all find out together in just over two weeks.
https://www.thewrap.com/marvel-retur...omic-con-2019/
Old 07-07-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Eight announced release dates so far, I think it's safe to assume we know what seven of them are (Black Widow, Eternals, Shang Chi, DrStrange2, BP2, Cap Marvel2, Guardians3) We should get the release dates plus one surprise movie, I don't think it'll be F4 but that'd be awesome. Also probably confirmation of Holland's Spidey remaining in the MCU going forward. (I don't think that's ever been officially announced?)

Interesting note, I don't believe the announced release dates include Spider-man 3 (being a Sony release), which could be July 2021 - making that four releases in one yr.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franch...d=avengers.htm
Old 07-08-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

I can't see them doing all of that with D23 the following month. I can see the big thank you from the OG Avengers because they were first to be there in 2010 and it would be full circle to say goodbye there.
Old 07-08-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Kraven a possibility as the next Spider-Man baddie.

While speaking to Uproxx about Spider-Man: Far From Home, Watts revealed that he might have plans to bring Kraven the Hunter to life in the next film, possibly adapting the iconic storyline that saw his attempt to kill Peter Parker.

Spoilers for Far From Home:
Spoiler:

After Spider-Man's battle with Mysterio resulted in his identity being revealed to the world, a lot of villains will be out gunning for him. You might even say that they are on the hunt... if you catch our drift.And it would also dovetail into a decent role for the Sinister Six, as Kraven could set them up to weaken his foe while Spider-Man is at his most vulnerable before he moves in to make the kill himself.
Old 07-16-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Eight announced release dates so far, I think it's safe to assume we know what seven of them are (Black Widow, Eternals, Shang Chi, DrStrange2, BP2, Cap Marvel2, Guardians3) We should get the release dates plus one surprise movie,
Looks like Thor 4 was the surprise announcement, we have eight movies for the eight announced MCU release dates. (Thor most likely for 11/5/21)
Old 07-17-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

What happened with the Thor 4 thread? (Th4ead)
Old 07-21-19, 02:00 AM

Interesting that a Spider-Man sequel will not be coming out in July 2021, unless it gets announced later. Four films in a year for Marvel Studios would be a first, but since there are only two films in 2020 they could make it work.

Of course it could take the July 2022 spot.
Old 07-21-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I watched the Phase 4 panel. Yeesh. There must have been like 75 of the biggest movie stars just waiting behind the curtain.
Old 07-21-19, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
If they go back on that Mandarin take for IM3 I'll be annoyed (yes I know they did that in the One Shot but that's not a full-length movie release). I really loved subverting the expectations on that.
I have a feeling they'll clear up the IM3 "problem". I can't see them just declaring IM3 apocryphal. Of course, the entire film could be skipped with no real effect on the rest of the MCU so...

Although I did love Kingsley's serious side of the Mandarin, IM3 and the One Shot pretty much closed that character path forever.

Old 07-21-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Ugh. You know Trevor could so easily have another dimension to his misleading identity . I never accepted that as the definitive ending.
Old 07-21-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

The true Mandarin and the Ten Rings will be in the Shang-Chi film.
Old 07-21-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

It will be interesting to see how these movies do now that they have basically ended this phase. Nothing really stands out to me other than Thor and Black Widow. But we shall see.
Old 07-21-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The Mandarin and how he was presented was the biggest slip up of the first 3 phases, in my opinion. Kingsley was a perfect selection until they blew it because he presented the Mandarin in a way that was not racist.
Old 07-21-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I have a feeling they'll clear up the IM3 "problem". I can't see them just declaring IM3 apocryphal. Of course, the entire film could be skipped with no real effect on the rest of the MCU so...
They already have, haven't they?

The "All Hail the King" short on the Thor: The Dark World DVD divulged that the real Mandarin was out there.

Old 07-21-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I honestly thought my interest was going to fade with phase 4, and I'd gradually start weening myself away from this stuff.

With almost all these announcements, my enthusiasm isn't skipping a beat. Unless the finished product(s) misstep, this could be another wonderfully diverting, winding ride up to Phase 6.

I'll even consider popping for Disney+. Right now I'm subscribed to 0 streaming services (other than Prime, but that's almost exclusively for the shipping).
Old 07-21-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

The vid got taken down, but the full panel (Minus the BW footage/trailer) was a blast. Feige's a great showman when it comes to the reveals. ^I'm in agreement with Paul that fatigue won't likely be a factor for me in these next few years. Considering that we're gonna bounce back & forth between the grounded (Black Widow,Hawkeye,Shang-Chi) the cosmic (Eternals,Thor) the weird (What if?,WandaVision) and the spooky (Doc Strange,Blade) Plus it feels like we won't be getting much of the usual "Save the planet/Universe" plot with a lot of these projects.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.