Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 02-12-14, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Then you should be really surprised to find out that they made it already.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290747
My mind = blown. I honestly never knew about that movie.
Old 02-12-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

I actually liked the Man-Thing movie. No, it's not a good adaptation of the comic character. But I thought it was a pretty cool-looking comic book movie about a swamp monster. I at least appreciated the fact that they didn't try to cram the movie with horrible CGI action----they did the old-fashioned (low budget) approach of trying to create suspense, and not showing the monster until the end. And when it did show up, I thought it looked pretty good.

No, it didn't deserve a theatrical release, but I didn't think it was a total disaster.
Old 02-13-14, 06:48 AM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts

What’s nice is that CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER brings us more screentime with Black Widow, and gives us a deeper look into who she is. Kevin Feige dished on this in the latest issue of Total Film:

Black Widow's whole arc [in The Winter Soldier] is coming to terms with her history - that she's been a spy, and spies aren't necessarily trustworthy."

Don't forget, Black Widow also has major screentime in THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON. Wait, there's a double bonus-- It seems that Marvel agrees that her backstory is worth fleshing out in a solo film which gets it closer to becoming a reality:

We start filming the next Avengers film at the end of March. [Black] Widow's part in that is very big. We learn more about her past and learn more about where she came from and how she became in that film. The notion of exploring that even further in her own film would be great, and we have some development work with that.

Feige also makes reference to that significant shift that CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER writer Joe Russo warned us about in January. Basically, some awesome hardcore shit is coming our way, and you better be buckled up for the ride:

We wanted to change the dynamic of the cinematic universe with this film. We wanted Cap and really the entire cinematic universe to be very different at the end of Winter Solider than it is at the beginning. Therefore when we meet the Avengers at the top of Age of Ultron, it's a very different landscape than we left them at the end of the film film. Partially that's because we love the rhythm that the comic books have developed - each of the characters appear in their runs, occasionally they get together for a big event or crossover series, they part again, and then they come back together again.
Old 02-13-14, 06:49 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wonder if they'll use Nicole Perlman for the script? She wrote one and Marvel loved that one supposedly. She also did work in the GoTG script but with Gunn on it I'm sure he's Gunned it up to a degree.

Not a big fan of Man-Thing but I really liked him in The Thunderbolts.
Old 02-21-14, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Shortlist of Directors for Dr Strange:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...g-up-as-682165
Four contenders in particular have either met or are about to meet with Marvel higher-ups to bring the adventures of Marvel's Sorcerer Supreme to the screen: Mark Andrews, who co-wrote and co-directed Pixar's Brave; Nikolaj Arcel, who wrote and directed last year's best foreign film Oscar-nominated entry A Royal Affair; Dean Israelite, the helmer behind Paramount's upcoming sci-fi time-travel movie Welcome to Yesterday; and Jonathan Levine, the filmmaker behind Warm Bodies and 50/50.
Old 02-21-14, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see Levine do a Marvel movie
Old 02-21-14, 09:05 AM
Banned

Are they all cheap?
Old 02-21-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

More on Doctor Strange cast and writers in light of director rumors:

Seeing Arcel’s name on the list made the most impact here because it really lit up a different story that I’ve been hearing. According to one pretty solid Marvel-adjacent source, Arcel’s Royal Affair star Mads Mikkelsen apparently is, or has been, somewhere in the mix for the film’s early casting discussions.

I’m still trying to find another source on that, or to clarify which part it would be, and whether or not Mikkelsen might have already passed or been passed over. And there were other names mentioned at the same time, that I’m also still investigating…

It doesn’t necessarily follow that Arcel would bring Mikkelsen or Mikkelsen bring Arcel, of course. We could just as easily see the actor on board with Levine, or Israelite.

I’m also particularly intrigued by the inclusion of Mark Andrews on this list. For a while at least he was developing an original sci-fi film at Pixar and, if he does take on Strange, any development on that would have to go on hold or stop outright. Not to say it already hasn’t, which is a real possibility if he’s out there looking for other gigs.

There’s a new script for Strange in the works right now with Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger said to be “in the mix” to take a seat at the keyboard. They’re probably best known for their work on the Kung Fu Panda* films, including the upcoming part 3, but they’ve also written on the second Spongebob Squarepants movie and a Monster Trucks toon.
Source

Love Mads (and he wisely did drop out of the thankless villain role in Thor:TDW), but I'd buy him more as say Baron Mordo than Stephen Strange.
Old 02-21-14, 09:35 AM

I like the idea of grooming Strange to take over for Iron Man as the "leader" of The Avengers. If that is the case though they either need to cast a big younger... or make sure they lock in that older "Vigo"ish actor for a huge multi picture deal.
Old 02-21-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,171 Likes on 901 Posts

Mads would be awesome as Mordo. Obviously they wouldn't have either character running around in their flamboyant outfits like in the comics. I envision Mordo (what little I know of him) like Hannibal Lector from the tv show. Nice fitted suits and such. Yeah, Mads would be perfect for it. In that case, I hope Arcel gets to direct.
Old 02-21-14, 09:49 AM
Banned

Mads? That'd be good to have in the MCU... If he isn't wasted. I'd dig him as Strange. Strange is an adult. An experienced man before his turn as the sorcerer supreme. And especially after. His age is fine. He has a voice that could rock Strange's dialogue.

Visually speaking Strange is a great idea just for the imagery of his situations. Luckily Strange has had less wild looking attire. Off beat from the norm but he has had damn good looking ones that don't stand out like crazy but they do catch the attention.

They've to bring in Shuma Gorath at some point. LOVE that character so much. Those early issues are so trippy even as a little kid in the 1990s I thought that was wild imagery.

Originally Posted by dex14
I like the idea of grooming Strange to take over for Iron Man as the "leader" of The Avengers. If that is the case though they either need to cast a big younger... or make sure they lock in that older "Vigo"ish actor for a huge multi picture deal.
They've mentioned that they want Strange as a new focus point for the MCU. To better expand the wilder aspect of Marvel. I'd be excited for that.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 02-21-14 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-21-14, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Mads? That'd be good to have in the MCU... If he isn't wasted. I'd dig him as Strange. Strange is an adult. An experienced man before his turn as the sorcerer supreme. And especially after. His age is fine. He has a voice that could rock Strange's dialogue.

Visually speaking Strange is a great idea just for the imagery of his situations. Luckily Strange has had less wild looking attire. Off beat from the norm but he has had damn good looking ones that don't stand out like crazy but they do catch the attention.

They've to bring in Shuma Gorath at some point. LOVE that character so much. Those early issues are so trippy even as a little kid in the 1990s I thought that was wild imagery.

They've mentioned that they want Strange as a new focus point for the MCU. To better expand the wilder aspect of Marvel. I'd be excited for that.

Yup. I think it's a great idea.
Old 02-21-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jon Hamm would have been perfect for this but he probably doesn't want to get sucked into comic book films well good for him.
Old 02-21-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Why not? The guy doesn't have much of a movie career.
Old 02-21-14, 12:29 PM
Banned

I think the most high profile film role he had was fucking Kristen Wiig, bra on, in Bridesmaids.

He is actually starring as a lead for a Disney film called... Million Dollar Arm. It looks eh.
Old 02-21-14, 12:34 PM

I think he definitely would consider this now with Mad Men ending.
Old 02-21-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was a huge Dr. Strange fan as a kid and I always thought the perfect director would be Guillermo Del Toro (who as a bonus is a huge comic book nerd).
Old 02-21-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

Mikkelsen is a fantastic actor but he's a terrible fit for Dr. Strange with that accent he can't hide. Cast him as Dormammu.
Old 02-21-14, 02:17 PM
Banned

He could rock Doc Strange. Especially with that voice.

I do wonder if we would get Wong or not. For some reason a lot of jokes would come out of that possibly.
Old 02-21-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, Mikkelsen is not a good choice.
Old 02-21-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Wait, Hamm is still playing Doctor Strange isn't he? I haven't heard anything about him dropping out.
Old 02-21-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Why not? The guy doesn't have much of a movie career.
True but he captured the zeitgeist of an era of the latter of the last decade and the former of this one most movie actors would probably want but he is the most high profile actor of tv since Shatner. Based off that he is going to do something unique that's not part of a decades long property already…
The cliffhanger reveal finale of A-Team was enough for him.
Old 02-21-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by duff beer
True but he captured the zeitgeist of an era of the latter of the last decade and the former of this one most movie actors would probably want but he is the most high profile actor of tv since Shatner.
What??
Old 02-26-14, 05:07 PM

We caught up Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige last night at the screening launch for the Marvel One-Shot: All Hail the King, available exclusively on the Thor: The Dark World Blu-ray out today, during which time we got to chat him up about all those Doctor Strange reports and more.

IGN Movies: I'm a huge Doctor Strange fan. There are a lot of rumors swirling now. How far along are you guys with that?

Kevin Feige: Well, that article [from The Hollywood Reporter] was true that we're meeting a lot of people now. That article was not true about who we're meeting or what level anybody is. But we're actively looking.

IGN: It's a very eclectic mix. Are you actually looking for directors who have experience beyond just the fantasy realm for this? Certainly, the Russo Brothers and Cap 2 --

Feige: Of course, of course. We always look at a wide range of people with a wide range of backgrounds. There's only one criteria: do something that we think is really cool. [Laughs] That's about it.

IGN: What do you make of those recent rumors about Johnny Depp having been approached about playing Doctor Strange? Was there ever any truth to that? Did you guys ever reach out to him?

Feige: No, no. When you have a project that's been around as long as Doctor Strange, there is sometimes, "Oh, I've met with Stan about this! Or I did that!" So Strange is one of those projects that predates me by a long shot. Obviously, the character does, but even in its cinematic brewing. So there's a lot of things that have happened before me, and I've been here 14 years. So that's a long time ago. I don't know if that happened then.

IGN: Are you guys looking for a star to play Doctor Strange?

Feige: You know, I would say that we're pretty transparent, right? Doctor Strange would be our -- well, depending on when we make it, it could be our 13th, 14th, 15th movie, right? I think if you're looking to track our decision-making and how we've done things, we have a pretty wide track record now where you can sort of see. So, no, a movie star is not required, but that doesn't mean a movie star wouldn't be great. It just depends.

IGN: How do you feel about the overwhelmingly positive reaction to the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer?

Feige: Well, I was very pleased with it, because it's still early days for us, as the movie is coalescing and formulating itself in the cutting room, but there are a few things that we would be locked into: the cast, their looks, our use of music and our very unique tone. The fact that that's what that teaser is about and that's what people are embracing, there are a lot of happy people in the offices, that people are into this.

IGN: How much are you guys hands-on at all with the X-Men movies? Does Fox simply say, "We're gonna do this"?

Feige: There are some contractual requirements on both ends, but it's minimal.

IGN: At what point do you think we'll see casting for the Marvel Netflix series?

Feige: That's a good question, and Jeph Loeb and the TV group would better answer that. I'm actually sure when that would be.

IGN: Are you guys looking to film this year? Isn't it supposed to be a 2015 premiere?

Feige: It might be. They're working on them now, but I don't know the day-to-day.

IGN: Comic-Con this year -- are we actually going to get Phase 3 announcements?

Feige: You know, Comic-Con always comes together, and we do the best we can with what we've got at the time. So it remains to be seen what we'll have between now and two weeks before Comic-Con.

IGN: We should just be happy that we're getting Guardians.

Feige: Please, please!
Old 03-03-14, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm calling it. Lupita Nyong'o as Shuri in the Black Panther movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.