Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wonder, though, how long they can keep it running without a reboot. Star Wars is the only other series I can think of that never really rebooted as far as characters and plotline, and while it's a blockbuster franchise they really only had to coordinate one movie at a time for most of it.
They already rebooted Iron Man.

It's Called Dr. Strange.

Being a little less facetious, I see Marvels position the same way Mike does.

This isn't a studio that has a few licenses so they have to constantly keep retooling and rebooting the same characters over and over. Marvel has a universe full of characters that can be compelling given the proper care and attention. And they can shift between those anytime they want.

At this point IM, CA, Hulk, Thor et al are classic characters (in the movie universe sense). Fifteen to Twenty years from now they will all get rebooted and a big splash made about welcoming them back on screen. Till then, they can effectively be retired while attention is focused elsewhere.

In fact, a complete overhaul in the Avengers roster would give fresh material for another trilogy at least. By fresh material I mean new inter-group conflicts, in addition to new bad guys.
Old 01-16-18, 06:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

yeah, RDJ blew Marvel movies up. he has nothing to apologize for and made many many many millions. he'll be fine and deserves to step away...
Old 01-18-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It will be interesting to see the path Marvel takes in the future. With what looks like them getting the X-men and Fantastic Four back in the fold i imagine they will feel like they no longer need to keep going back to the well on the box office dependables. I can see Iron Man certainly not showing up that much in the future. Marvel would probably get RDJ to sign a contract to appear in maybe 3-4 movies over the next 15 years, but only on a cameo basis. That way they can add him in to any property they are not 100% sure about and give them more confidence that it will be golden.

Hemsworth i would say has at least one more Thor movie in him and possibly a smaller role in a fifth Avengers. Ragnarok i would say made sure that its not the last time we have seen the character in a solo movie.

I would actually love to see another Captain America movie as these have been very solid pieces and i enjoy all of them, however it feels like Evans is ready to move on and it will be sad to see him go as he has done a great job. I always thought that Captain America would be one of the hardest characters to translate to the big screen but Marvel has knocked it out of the park.

And as someone said, Marvel is already paving the way for the future. Avengers 5 is probably gonna be a New Avengers movie (even though we are pretty much there already). Guardians 3 will usher in a new wave of cosmic movies by the looks of it (and i am sure Silver Surfer will be being looked at now).

I don't however think that Marvel will go about rebooting any characters. They have too many in their stable that have still not been used, its easier for them to find an Iron Man like character and get a new actor to play the role (i guess Reed Richards is quite similar, minus the smarm). I seriously doubt they will make War Machine anything big in the future and i see him as a good contender of being a causality in the next Avengers movies.
Old 01-18-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
They already rebooted Iron Man.

It's Called Dr. Strange.

Being a little less facetious, I see Marvels position the same way Mike does.

This isn't a studio that has a few licenses so they have to constantly keep retooling and rebooting the same characters over and over. Marvel has a universe full of characters that can be compelling given the proper care and attention. And they can shift between those anytime they want.

At this point IM, CA, Hulk, Thor et al are classic characters (in the movie universe sense). Fifteen to Twenty years from now they will all get rebooted and a big splash made about welcoming them back on screen. Till then, they can effectively be retired while attention is focused elsewhere.

In fact, a complete overhaul in the Avengers roster would give fresh material for another trilogy at least. By fresh material I mean new inter-group conflicts, in addition to new bad guys.
Yep exactly. Where Marvel has been so smart is that over the course of the MCU they’ve continued to introduce new characters that can be used for a good chunk of time.

We’ve got Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel at one movie a piece. Figure all those will get at least a trilogy at least and add in some team up movies and there’s a start to your lineup for a while. Guardians of the Galaxy has at least one film left and could probably continue as well.

Also add in newly acquired properties (Fantastic Four, X-Men) and as long as they keep up their working relationship with Sony Spider-Man and you’ve got material for a long time.

Plus that’s not even taking into account characters like Bucky (Sebastian Stan is signed on for what nine movies?) and Falcon plus Black Widow is getting her solo film so she might stick around longer and it’s rumored Hemsworth may still be open to playing Thor after his contract is up. There’s really no reason they have to reboot for a good while.
Old 01-19-18, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yep exactly. Where Marvel has been so smart is that over the course of the MCU they’ve continued to introduce new characters that can be used for a good chunk of time.

We’ve got Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel at one movie a piece. Figure all those will get at least a trilogy at least and add in some team up movies and there’s a start to your lineup for a while. Guardians of the Galaxy has at least one film left and could probably continue as well.

Also add in newly acquired properties (Fantastic Four, X-Men) and as long as they keep up their working relationship with Sony Spider-Man and you’ve got material for a long time.

Plus that’s not even taking into account characters like Bucky (Sebastian Stan is signed on for what nine movies?) and Falcon plus Black Widow is getting her solo film so she might stick around longer and it’s rumored Hemsworth may still be open to playing Thor after his contract is up. There’s really no reason they have to reboot for a good while.

Excited to see what they can do with Fantastic Four. So many great villains in those comics as well as new realms like the negative zone. I wonder if Silver Surfer could work in the MCU. A guy riding around the cosmos on a surf board might seem hokey on the big screen.

And why hasn't there been any talk of a Sub Mariner movie?
Old 01-19-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
And why hasn't there been any talk of a Sub Mariner movie?
I think it was Universal that had the rights to Namor at one time.
Old 01-19-18, 09:54 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

yeah lets get the naked man movie already
Old 01-19-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This infographic was updated after the Disney/Fox thing as far as which characters are owned by who.

https://nerdist.com/marvel-film-righ...en-spider-man/

Kind of interesting where Namor sits.
Old 01-19-18, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Morbius is missing from Sony.
Old 01-19-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
This infographic was updated after the Disney/Fox thing as far as which characters are owned by who.

https://nerdist.com/marvel-film-righ...en-spider-man/

Kind of interesting where Namor sits.
Doesn't Marvel actually, at this time, "have" all of the Sony and Universal characters; they just have strings attached.

Like Marvel is free to makeva Hulk or She-Hulk movie, they just need to give Uni the right of first refusal.

And, with Sony, they currently have a deal that allows Marvel Studios to produce Spider-Man films (set in the MCU), that are financed and distributed by Sony. Which still allows Sony to make spin-off movies for characters like Venom, though they probably not be allowed to tether them to the MCU without permission.

It would be interesting if they could make something like "Kraven's Last Hunt" as a standalone Kraven film, with Holland guest-starring ad Spider-Man.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 01-19-18 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-19-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If I recall, even the Sony/Marvel deal was just for a certain number of movies.
Old 01-19-18, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

So what does the Kingpin and Namor designation mean on there?
Old 01-19-18, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
If I recall, even the Sony/Marvel deal was just for a certain number of movies.
Yes, five, I think.

Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man:Homecoming, Avengers:Infinity War, Avengers 4, and Spider-Man 2.

I think they can renegotiate after that, though knowing Sony, they could tell Marvel to piss off and start doing their own thing.
Old 01-19-18, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
So what does the Kingpin and Namor designation mean on there?
Fox had to borrow Kingpin from Sony for Daredevil, because he was tied to the Spider-Man Rights. But now Sony and Marvel seem to share him:

https://movieweb.com/marvel-confirms...n-and-elektra/

I’m not quite sure what is up with Namor:

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Righ...tly-66323.html
Old 01-31-18, 09:47 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Kevin Feige on the Disney-Fox Merger and His Future at Marvel

In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Avengers are the first people to get the call when something major is happening in the world. Offscreen, though, Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige is just like the rest of us: He may be running one of the biggest companies under the Disney umbrella, but he claims he got no special heads-up when news broke that his parent company had intentions to acquire 21st Century Fox.

“I read about it in the press like most people did,” Feige told me today at the press junket for Marvel’s latest superhero film, Black Panther. Feige operates at a level of humility that is unusual for a top Hollywood executive, but I had to press him on that answer: Disney chairman Alan Horn hadn’t called to fill him in on the merger? Not even an email, like, “Hey buddy, guess what we’re up to?”

“These are big deals,” Feige insisted, “and certainly above my pay grade.”

The reason you’d expect Feige to be an intimate player in the deal is because it could finally do what comic-book fans have long hoped for by allowing major Marvel properties like X-Men and Fantastic Four, which til now have has their rights held by Fox, to be integrated into Feige’s ultra-successful Marvel Cinematic Universe. The Avengers franchise is plenty crowded as it is, and this summer’s Infinity War will have the biggest cast of superheroes that Marvel has ever boasted, but there are still plenty of famous characters like Wolverine and Deadpool who have never gotten to rub big-screen shoulders with Captain America and Iron Man due to their dueling parent studios.

“The truth of the matter as I understand it is the deal has to be figured out,” said Feige, who claimed that it’s too soon to expect any sort of integration into the current Marvel Studios lineup of films. “There’s been no communication. We’re not thinking about it. We’re focusing on everything we’ve already announced. If and when the deal actually happens, we’ll start to think more about it. Until then, we have a lot to do.”

Again, I had to press Feige. Years ago, when Marvel Studios was readying Captain America: Civil War, Feige had the writers of that film brainstorm a story containing current MCU characters as well as a potential version that would include Spider-Man, a major Marvel superhero that Sony owns the rights to. Back-channel talks had been ongoing between the two companies to let Feige rejuvenate the flagging web-slinger by integrating him into the MCU, and after Sony agreed to the deal, Spider-Man was allowed to swing into Civil War, which gave a box-office boost to the hero’s most recent solo effort, Spider-Man: Homecoming. Given that precedent, had Feige begun to think of alternative versions of the future films on the Marvel Studios slate, provided that the deal with Fox closes and new characters can join the MCU?

“It would be years away,” Feige cautioned. “We’ve announced everything through 2019, so none of those would be adjusted.”

Past 2019, many things about the future of Marvel are unclear. That’s when the so-far untitled fourth Avengers movie will conclude an unprecedented, 11-year series of intertwining films, and many in the industry have wondered if it might wrap up Feige’s tenure, too. He is one of the most respected and certainly one of the most coveted executives in Hollywood. How far ahead has he thought about his future at the company?

“I think about it through 2019, through the movies we’ve already shot or are about to start filming,” said Feige. “I’m hoping to deliver on everything we’ve promised thus far.” No matter what happens, though, Feige says he is as engaged with Marvel as he has ever been, if not more so.

“That’s the reason we make the movies we make and the way we make them,” he said. “For years, predating the history of Marvel Studios itself, people asked me about superhero fatigue and if it was a fad or a phase. I say, if they’re all different, if they’re all special, nobody will get tired of these things before we at Marvel Studios will, since we live and breathe these things 24 hours a day. You make films like Thor: Ragnarok, like Homecoming, like Guardians of the Galaxy, certainly like Panther, and the upcoming Infinity War to keep it interesting and change it up. And we will continue to do that.”
http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/kevin...m_medium=s3&ut
Old 02-08-18, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Marvel just posted this 10th Anniversary photo.

They gave the big shaft to Phil Coulson.
Old 02-08-18, 11:49 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GjwjzIFcX7U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-08-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Nice.
Old 02-08-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't see Jeff Bridges, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins. Certainly a few could not make it.

But thank god we got Sean Gunn. Without his help where would the MCU be.
Old 02-08-18, 12:37 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

i don't see Tom Hardy! Fake
Old 02-08-18, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nando820
i don't see Tom Hardy! Fake
Why would he be in this pic?
Old 02-08-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cool stuff. I wonder if there's a super high res version somewhere.

https://news.marvel.com/movies/84187...y-celebration/
Old 02-08-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I don't see Jeff Bridges, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins. Certainly a few could not make it.
Or Edward Norton, Terrence Howard, etc.

Old 03-01-18, 04:26 PM

UNTITLED MARVEL previously dated 8/7/20 moves to 7/31/20

UNTITLED MARVEL now dated on 5/7/21

UNTITLED MARVEL now dated on 7/30/21

UNTITLED MARVEL now dated on 11/5/21

UNTITLED MARVEL now dated on 5/6/22

UNTITLED MARVEL now dated on 7/29/22

Last edited by dex14; 03-01-18 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a couple of stages here that are for a Marvel film(?) with the code name Open World. Been trying to figure what it is. I think it's Captain Marvel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.