Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 07-25-16, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

My current thoughts. I like the new Marvel logo, prefer the old one.

Seeing Fox Team up with Marvel would be cool, but i am more interested in their villain roster appearing in Marvel movies than their heroes. (Dr Doom, Galactus, Magneto, etc). It will happen in time for sure. Unless Fox decides to team with Sony first and get X-men in a Spidey movie. That would be an interesting move. Probably piss off Marvel no end.

I was actually thinking yesterday about the rumor of the villain in the Infinity War movies being the Magus, and i was thinking of who might play a great Adam Warlock/Magus. I know that Matthew Mcconaughey has had his name mentioned, and he really would be top of the list, but as he is starring in the Dark Tower movies it may seem a little too similar in vibe maybe. But you know an actor that might fit the role....Keanu Reeves. I know the guy gets a lot of shit for his acting, but the character should be played by someone who can appear a little off. I think he could be an interesting choice.

And i do like Brie Larson for Marvel, although i think i would have preferred Emily Blunt, but Larson will ace it. I have little knowledge of the female Marvel (i did read a lot of the original Captain Marvel comics as a kid), so not sure who will be the big bad, but nice to continue the cosmic side of Marvel.
Old 07-25-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 736 Likes on 363 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by james2025a
Unless Fox decides to team with Sony first and get X-men in a Spidey movie. That would be an interesting move. Probably piss off Marvel no end.
Sony is currently in bed with Marvel for Spidey movies, so I don't see that happening unless something were to happen to that agreement first.
Old 07-25-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
WAAAAYYYY too long. Would not want to sit through that in a theater. Cut it down to 10 seconds.
Yeah, it's more like a short overture.
Old 07-25-16, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with the current Marvel title card personally. The new one does feel a bit long even though it's kind of cool.
Old 08-19-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

GotG confirmed for Avengers: Infinity War

http://www.darkhorizons.com/diesel-c...next-avengers/

Marvel Studios is famous for its confidentiality agreements, even some of the biggest names involved in their films are famous for not revealing anything about the movies they’re in until they’ve scored a release.

Then there’s Vin Diesel, an actor with a social media following so enormous that frankly he doesn’t care. Diesel does the voice of Groot in James Gunn’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” films and in a new post today has seemingly confirmed something widely suspected all along – that Star-Lord and the gang will all be in the next Avengers film.

Speaking on Facebook (via io9, Diesel says:

“Next year you’ve got Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 coming and that whole concept started from you all saying ‘when are you gonna be in a Marvel movie?’

And you remember the first picture after that Marvel meeting that I had where I was standing [with] the Avengers thing in the back – some of you can look up that picture…there was this old Avengers copy that was behind me in that picture if you look back on my Facebook page you can find that.

What’s gonna be surreal is that picture is going to come to pass because now the Guardians will be included in ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ and that’s incredibly exciting. Incredibly exciting. Incredibly exciting and something that if you were a part of our page you knew before everybody.”

The question now becomes how the Guardians will become involved as neither Thanos nor any of the other Infinity Stones will appear in next year’s ‘Guardians’ sequel. “Avengers: Infinity War” opens May 4th 2018.
Old 09-13-16, 11:42 AM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

I thought this was kind of interesting. This goes for way more than just Marvel films though.

<iframe width="598" height="336" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7vfqkvwW2fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-27-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts

Regarding Stallone...
Spoiler:
APRIL 27, 2017 12:42pm PT by Graeme McMillan
Marvel Wants Sylvester Stallone for Movies Beyond 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2'

"It’s our plan to see more of Stallone," says James Gunn.
Sylvester Stallone is going to stick around in the Marvel Cinematic Universe past Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, according to director James Gunn — although it's not quite clear just where he's going to show up next.

"My plan is to see more of [Stallone's character]," Gunn told the Toronto Sun. "I’m not sure about him appearing in Vol. 3, we’ll have to see about that, but it’s our plan to see more of Stallone. [Marvel Studios chief] Kevin [Feige] and I are working on what is going to become of the Marvel Cosmic Universe and where it’s going to go. We plan to see the rest of them in the future."

The "them" in question refers to the group that Stallone's character belongs to in the second installment of Marvel's interstellar series.

[Warning: spoilers for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ahead.]

In the movie, Stallone plays Stakar, AKA Starhawk — one of the original comic book Guardians. A mid-credit sequence scenes introduces the other members of that team, including Ving Rhames' Charlie-27 and Michelle Yeoh's Aleta Ogord.

Gunn said that while he's not committed to Guardians past the third movie — "basically, the story of this group ends with Vol. 3," he explained — he is already planning future Marvel movies.

"I’m helping to decide what projects we’ll be pursuing outside of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and what the next cosmic characters we will focus on," he told the Sun. "It’s my plan to have Sly — and I talked to him last night — to find a place for him in the future of the Marvel Universe."

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 opens in U.S. theaters May 5.
Interesting, I would never have thought of him as Starhawk. I kinda pictured him as more of Vance Astro and could see him turn into Major Victory.
Old 06-12-17, 02:12 PM

Chris Evans seems to be saying again that he is done after Avengers 4:

http://www.thewrap.com/chris-evans-a...one-last-time/
Old 06-12-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because he has a thriving career outside of Captain America?
Old 06-12-17, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Because he has a thriving career outside of Captain America?
I doubt he really needs to at this point. His net worth is estimated at $40M.
Old 07-15-17, 05:21 PM

<iframe width="670" height="377" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C-Dvi9KzZK8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-15-17, 05:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

that sux. hope Universal comes around. something tells me they will...
Old 07-15-17, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

IDK, I don't think they will. Hulk only made $245M WW, Incredible Hulk $263M WW. Now, I guess they can pay RDJ a boatload of money to do another "cameo" like he was in SMH, but it might be general audiences aren't that interested in the character. Seems to work as a pairing (will see in the next Thor movie).
Old 07-15-17, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think a stand alone would be as interesting as people think it would be. Unless he goes Grey Hulk, and even then...
Old 07-15-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

D23 Trailer Spoilers

Spoiler:
The trailer — screened exclusively for attendees and not simultaneously released online — begins with the Guardians of the Galaxy on their ship, floating through a creepy section of space. Star-Lord (Pratt) tells his crew to put on their "mean faces" because things could get dangerous. Suddenly, a body hits their spaceship. It's an unconscious Thor (Hemsworth), wearing his gladiator garb from Thor: Ragnarok (smart money is on the end of November's Ragnarok leading directly into 2018's Infinity War). They bring him inside the ship, and Mantis (Klementieff) wakes him up.

Thor looks around, sees Star-Lord and asks the natural question: "Who the hell are you guys?"

Next, we're on Earth, where our heroes are dealing with death and destruction. Loki (Tom Hiddleston) has the Tesseract (the Infinity Stone he played around with in The Avengers), and he's up to no good. In New York, Peter Parker is on a school bus and sees his arm hair is rising (Spider-Sense?).

It's hard to break down how wild this trailer is, but here's just a few other small observations:

— Spider-Man has a new suit that looks quite advanced, a la the one at the end of Spider-Man: Homecoming or the costume from the Spider-Man 2099 comics.

— Captain America has a beard and looks like he's been through a lot. It's clear he's been off doing something away from Iron Man's Avengers and that this is their first time seeing him again.

— Thanos wears the Infinity Gauntlet and pulls down part of a moon to battle the Avengers on an alien planet.

— Doctor Strange battles alongside the Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man on this planet.
Old 07-15-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fukkin' A!

And when will we get to see that trailer?
Old 07-15-17, 10:52 PM

I thought the deal with Universal was in many respects similar to the deal with Sony for Spider-Man, and by that I mean that Marvel could make one any time they want to, but they have to let Universal distribute it and get the majority of the profits.

And Marvel isn't convinced that the cost of a standalone Hulk movie with justify the investment under that deal, especially when they can pretty much just put Hulk in any movie that they want to where his name isn't in the title.

So I really don't think that it's on Universal as much as it is on Disney.
Old 07-16-17, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that, the thing with The Hulk and Universal, is that back when Universal did the tv series with Ferrigno and Bixby there was some kind of clause in the contract that gave them the movie rights in perpetuity. With Spider-Man, they were able to hash out terms that were agreeable to both parties, but with the Hulk and Uni they're stuck with whatever terms were laid down in the 1970s. I am not sure what the specifics are but it appears that Marvel can use the Hulk as they see fit, but if they make a movie with the Hulk as the title character Universal has the right of first refusal to distribute it.

The thing about Marvel is that they were never, until recently, particularly media savvy and would sell off the movie rights to their characters to almost anyone with a few grand in their pocket. That's how we got those awful Fantastic Four and Captain America movies in the 90s, and why Fox has an iron grip on the X-Men and FF.
Old 07-16-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

The thing about Marvel is that they were never, until recently, particularly media savvy and would sell off the movie rights to their characters to almost anyone with a few grand in their pocket. That's how we got those awful Fantastic Four and Captain America movies in the 90s, and why Fox has an iron grip on the X-Men and FF.
But Fox has to pull the trigger on a new X-Men or FF movie within 7 years to keep the rights. They did let the rights to Daredevil and Ghost Rider lapse. Is this not the case with Universal and Hulk?
Old 07-16-17, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
But Fox has to pull the trigger on a new X-Men or FF movie within 7 years to keep the rights. They did let the rights to Daredevil and Ghost Rider lapse. Is this not the case with Universal and Hulk?
It doesn't appear to be that way, no. Heck, the movie rights to Namor are still tied up with Universal and they've never done anything with Namor.
Old 07-16-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I would guess not. Universal's Hulk series ran from 1978 to 1982, and three made for tv movies in '88, '89, and '90. And then the Hulk movie in 2003. It looks like they have permanent distribution rights to any theatrical feature because of old tv series. It would appear that Marvel signed a really bad contract in the 70s.
Old 08-16-17, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In case anyone missed seeing any of these in theaters ...

I think Hulk, IM 2,3 And Thor 2 are the only ones missing.
Spoiler:

Old 10-11-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hulk will have a 3 story arc peppered through the other films.

Originally Posted by IGN
THOR: RAGNAROK BEGINS A THREE-MOVIE ARC FOR HULK
BY JIM VEJVODA

Hulk actor Mark Ruffalo informed IGN during a recent interview that Thor: Ragnarok is the beginning of a three-movie story arc for the giant, green Avenger, one that will follow Bruce Banner as he faces profound questions about his alter ego and changes to his powers.

I asked Ruffalo how the Hulk -- who runs on anger and provocation -- can remain the Hulk on Sakaar, where he's been living comfortably as a gladiatorial champion and beloved celebrity in the two years since last being seen in Avengers: Age of Ultron. As Ruffalo explained, "The rules don't apply anymore. That's what's so confounding to Banner and frightening. That's kind of the exciting progression of the Banner/Hulk relationship moving forward."

Ruffalo continued, "The anger is no longer the only reason that he turns into the Hulk. So now we have this other thing going on between them that will carry out through the next two movies. This is the beginning of a three-movie arc."

As has been previously revealed, Universal Pictures retains the distribution rights to any standalone Hulk movie. Hence, that's why Disney and Marvel Studios have been including the Hulk into team-up movies and why, as Ruffalo himself recently put it, another standalone Hulk movie "will never happen."

According to Ruffalo, Marvel Studios president and producer Kevin Feige asked him what he would like to see happen if, ideally, he could have starred in his own standalone Hulk film. (Ruffalo's predecessor Edward Norton got his own solo Hulk MCU movie with 2008's The Incredible Hulk.)

"Kevin brought me in and he said, 'What would you do if you could do a standalone Hulk movie?' I said, 'I think it should be this, this, this, and this, and it should end like this,'" Ruffalo recalled. "And he said, 'How about if we do that -- love that -- let's do that starting with Thor 3 and end in Avengers 3, and we'll use those three movies to basically do a standalone Hulk movie. How about that?' I was like, 'That sounds great.'"

(We've since been able to clarify that Ruffalo misspoke here when he said Avengers 3; that film, aka Infinity War, is the second installment in this three-film Hulk story arc, which will end with Marvel's The Avengers 4.)

"So that's what you're seeing. You're seeing the beginning of that," Ruffalo continued. "There's a lot of questions. Why isn't he, why can't he? Why doesn't he turn into the Hulk when he's angry? Why can't he turn back into the Hulk when he's angry? Why can the Hulk stay the Hulk when he's not angry? That all starts to get answered as we move along."
Old 10-15-17, 04:48 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

to really keep up with their character development, Marvel should be producing 12 new films per year

We know that is hard to do and retain quality

It's like they are forgetting about the foundation characters
Old 10-15-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
to really keep up with their character development, Marvel should be producing 12 new films per year

We know that is hard to do and retain quality

It's like they are forgetting about the foundation characters
Like who? Stark just had a big role in Homecoming and we're only a year removed from seeing everyone together in Civil War. It's really only Fury that we haven't seen in awhile.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.