Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 01-30-14, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

Originally Posted by taffer
Sony probably has the rights to all of the "spider" characters. Spider-Woman, Spider-Girl, Scarlet Spider, Spider-Man 2099, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Ham...
I'm curious about that. Most the other Spider characters are iterations of Spider-Man. A clone. His daughter. A future version of him. A rebooted version of him.

Spider-Woman has an origin outside of Spider-Man (unless you count Ultimate Spider-Woman who's a clone). In fact, she's had several origins over the years.

But you're probably right. Sony would take claim over anything with "Spider" in the title.
Old 01-31-14, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Captain Marvel
Hercules
She-Hulk

Is Spider-Woman part of Sony's Spider-Man package?
I don't think so, I think she belongs in the Avengers universe.
Old 01-31-14, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts

I'm wondering at what point all these Marvel titles are going to start bringing in smaller returns at the box office, and Disney/Marvel will be stuck with all these upcoming sequels that aren't going to make their money back. I'm already starting to feel a little burnt-out on these films/characters (I know most of you aren't) and wonder if at some point the general public will feel the same.

Obviously AVENGERS 2 will still be huge...but are people really excited about a THOR 3? Or even an IRON MAN 4? I could live without either of those.
Old 01-31-14, 08:52 AM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm wondering at what point all these Marvel titles are going to start bringing in smaller returns at the box office, and Disney/Marvel will be stuck with all these upcoming sequels that aren't going to make their money back. I'm already starting to feel a little burnt-out on these films/characters (I know most of you aren't) and wonder if at some point the general public will feel the same.

Obviously AVENGERS 2 will still be huge...but are people really excited about a THOR 3? Or even an IRON MAN 4? I could live without either of those.
Yea... I'm excited for Cap 2. and Avengers 2 but that's it. I'd rather them just do new charaters. I don't see a need for a Thor 3, atleast as part of Phase 3...
Old 01-31-14, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I thought I read that Marvel is going to use the Inhuman's as their way of getting 'mutant' like powers and not calling them mutants.
Aren't all superhero powers mutant-like whether they use the word mutant or not?

That's always been the big flaw of the X-Men while incorporated into the larger Marvel Universe. I don't think they ever convincingly explained why people born with goofy powers would be hated by society but people who were bombarded by gamma rays or bitten by radioactice spiders were fine.
Old 01-31-14, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Aren't all superhero powers mutant-like whether they use the word mutant or not?
No. Mutant in Marvel means you are born with a gene that gives you powers. People like Captain America, Hulk, Spider-Man, etc are not mutants because they weren't born with the mutant gene.

That's always been the big flaw of the X-Men while incorporated into the larger Marvel Universe. I don't think they ever convincingly explained why people born with goofy powers would be hated by society but people who were bombarded by gamma rays or bitten by radioactice spiders were fine.
Actually a lot of people hate Spider-Man too. Jonah Jameson is the most well known example of that.

I think part of the reason people hate mutants is because they represent natural evolution. People hate change, especially change like that. It kind of gets into the whole religion versus science thing. People are just afraid of anything that will shake their beliefs.

Another reason people may not like the X-Men is because they are not sanctioned by the government like the Fantastic Four and Avengers are.
Old 01-31-14, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Some born into powers (Mutants) considered themselves as superior, and even called themselves as such (Homo-Superior). Thus being the difference. It's all spelled out in the earlier X-Men comics, the two factions of mutants, one good, one bad, Professor-X's and Magneto's, etc, etc.
Old 01-31-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

None of that is news to me. I just don't think they've ever really sold it in a convincing way. Even as a kid I just sorta accepted the discrepancy.
Old 01-31-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

I think as long as the merchandise comes in, these movies will continue
Old 01-31-14, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always thought it was kind of obvious why the mutants are hated? The best example of someone just talking about it Magneto. That man can rant, in a good way, about mutant society and its issues like nothing. I remember the 1990s cartoon having some good stuff about the hate of one race over another.
Old 01-31-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grant Morrison offered up John Sublime as the reason for this during his run on New X-Men. Mutants being generally immune to Sublime were a direct threat to him, so he exerts his control over humanity causing the irrational hatred of mutants, which lead to some especially susceptible people to create Sentinels, Purifiers, the Friends of Humanity, etc.[/nerd]
Old 01-31-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I always thought it was kind of obvious why the mutants are hated? The best example of someone just talking about it Magneto. That man can rant, in a good way, about mutant society and its issues like nothing. I remember the 1990s cartoon having some good stuff about the hate of one race over another.
That wasn't really the question being brought up, it was why mutants are hated but not other super powered beings.

Side note, I've been reading some old X-Men/X-Factor comics and there are some panels where you see an angry crowd lump in the Avengers with the hate they're spewing towards the mutants though, saying that they're all the same.
Old 02-06-14, 11:25 AM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts

A reliable source has dropped a nice look into the future of Marvel films, filling in the blank on one of their upcoming Phase 3 films and it might surprise you. Now, this news may not drop your jaw to the floor, so keep your expectations in check. It is, however, an interesting choice when you consider all the other avenues the studio could go. The first film to kick off Phase 3 is Edgar Wright's ANT-MAN, which opens on July 17, 2015. Additionally, Marvel has dates set aside for at least two of their other Phase 3 films, that being May 6, 2016 and May 5, 2017, but with no titles announced...yet. The thought (hope?) of many die-hard fans is that those two would be DR. STRANGE and BLACK PANTHER, but our source is here to burst your bubble. Or not, depending on how you look at it. Because even with this news, there's still room for two more films that we DON'T know of in the Phase 3 agenda, which could very well be the aforementioned titles (or possibly, with recent announcements, CAPTAIN AMERICA or THOR's threequel). However, we've learned that the film currently on slate for the May 6, 2016 date is... ...GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2! (or whatever subtitle they give it). You may have heard rumblings of a GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY animated series as well, which we can also confirm. The series is aiming for a Fall 2015 debut on Disney XD, which would segue nicely into a sequel to the film the following year (especially with an established audience). Shocked by this? Don't be. Those that have seen the Comic Con footage of the film can attest to how badass the flick looks and I'm pretty sure Marvel knows it as well. You certainly wouldn't bank a sequel and an animated series on something that was less than a sure thing. I suppose there's potential for the film to bomb, but with everyone rallying behind what James Gunn and the cast/crew have done with next summer's debut, it seems like a slam dunk. Personally, I think it looks fantastic and that's just from seeing the tossed together SDCC stuff. I can only imagine what the finished product will look like and that gets me all kind of excited. So, there it is. Take it as rumor, fact, speculation, whatever, but that's the word from our wire. With Marvel Studio's Kevin Feige saying they've got plans all the way up to 2021 for the Marvel Cinematic Universe there's A LOT of room for speculation, hope, and some fun chatter about what could be and what will be, so feel free to jump into the conversation and let us know what you think! GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY kicks off on August 1, 2014.
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/excl...lms-be-in-2016
Old 02-06-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

wow, if that is true, that's pretty quick turnaround for the sequel.
Old 02-06-14, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuck yeah. Uhhh iffy on the cartoon though. Disney canned their great Avengers show for another one. And from what I've seen their Marvel cartoon stuff is eh.
Old 02-06-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Re; GotG- DC had the opportunity, imo, to have gotten there first with their Green Lantern universe which could/would have covered some of the same funky space opera vibe- with a human lead and bizarre, non human supporting characters in a cosmic setting. But as others have said, the DC movie universe is shepherded by lawyers and bean counters, not storytellers. There is still a lot of stuff that could go wrong with Marvel's GotG (poor pacing, an anticlimax, unpleasant tone, etc) but the surface concept won't be the problem- just like it wasn't with GL. There are ways to take what are on their face, silly premises, and make compelling two hour films from them.
But it takes natural storytellers to do it well (Timm & Dini, or Feige and Co.). High paid corporate executives, with reams of focus group data, won't get you there.
Old 02-06-14, 02:49 PM
Banned

Agreed about Green Lantern. I'm much more of a DC guy than a Marvel guy. If Rocket Raccoon works on the big screen, then surely Ch'p would too.

It would have been so easy to make a series of Green Lantern movies. Emerald Twilight, Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War, and Blackest Night... That would have been awesome as a quadrilogy adapted to the big screen.
Old 02-06-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great news about Disney/Marvel's confidence in the first one.
Old 02-06-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I hope Jessica Chastain gets her wish for Phase 3! (Skip to 4:45)
Old 02-06-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Link is broken to me, what is her wish?
Old 02-06-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Anal.
Old 02-12-14, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I assume this is accurate - http://www.thegeektwins.com/2014/02/...l#.UvwAV_ldXme

Old 02-12-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They better get on that Namor movie those lazy shits.
Old 02-12-14, 06:10 PM
Banned

Lionsgate actually bought the movie rights to Man-Thing? Seriously? I never knew that.
Old 02-12-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 736 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Lionsgate actually bought the movie rights to Man-Thing? Seriously? I never knew that.
Then you should be really surprised to find out that they made it already.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290747

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.