DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Wilhelm scream (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/616108-wilhelm-scream.html)

Solid Snake 12-19-13 01:32 PM

The Wilhelm scream

It's a scream we've heard for years. It's recognizable and it can be irritating.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Mn3qROqDwgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've mostly ever thought about the scream as just a thing for movies to use cuz It's corny, funny, or whatever. Has had a nice fun life. Rocshemp though brought up that he hated it. Which made me think. Well...do I hate it? Or when do I hate it? Do I even like it?

I KNOW the earliest memory I have of that scream is from Batman Returns. It stood out to me as a kid. Just...sounds so different from all the other screams that one can hear. Stood out pretty good for me. It's used a lot.

So after Rocshemp's statement, I started to kind of self analyse my experiences with it.

In the historical sense, I do like it. It's fun to see stuff like that still used. Even be iconic after all these years.

In the use of it though I am a bit more critical. Certain films fit it and some don't. To me it all breaks down to the tone and visual of the film. Can such a scream exist in the context of the film text? A weird question but yeah. It works really good in the SW (the orignals cuz I can't remember the prequels well...thankfully) and IJ films due to the tonal nature or visual design involved with them at times. Same goes for Team America and Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit. It works in there based on the design of films.

It's fun to see an audience recognize it. It's hit the pop culture consciousness of it's overuse.

Having seen The Hobbit part 2, I didn't like it's use in there. It doesn't fit it's design for me. Though it worked in Jackson's Kong. Bothered me in Man of Steel. Just didn't mesh for me. It stood out as distracting element. It is overused and probably abused much more than it needs to be for filmmakers to be cheeky about it.

Anyway...do you like the Wilhelm scream?

Rockmjd23 12-19-13 01:42 PM

Re: The Wilhelm scream

Way overplayed. It was funny when it showed up occasionally, but now it's in literally everything including dumb kids movies. I always liked the Howie scream more.

Why So Blu? 12-19-13 02:19 PM

It was used in ROTK, too.

Hokeyboy 12-19-13 02:21 PM

If you don't know it exists, you never hear it.

If people point it out to you, you hear it all the time.

CONCLUSION: Wipe everyone's memory.

taffer 12-19-13 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 11950953)
If you don't know it exists, you never hear it.

If people point it out to you, you hear it all the time.

CONCLUSION: Wipe everyone's memory.

I know it exists, but I never notice it. People point it out, and I forget about it and still never notice it.

Groucho 12-19-13 02:30 PM

I almost never notice it.

EddieMoney 12-19-13 02:48 PM

It was used very effectively in "Yor, the Hunter from the Future."

GoldenJCJ 12-19-13 03:22 PM

I notice it a lot. It's a bit overused but it doesn't bother me in most circumstances. When it's used in more serious movies/scenes is when it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I must have first noticed it in Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies because that's what I associate it with the most.

Hiro11 12-19-13 03:37 PM

It's like catching a CRM114, TK421, A113, 1138, 42 or 19 reference: a little inside joke for those paying attention.

mike7162 12-19-13 04:03 PM

It's become a lttle self - aware and overused, but I still enjoy hearing it when it happens.

Pointyskull 12-19-13 04:05 PM

Heard it while watching 'Bounty Killer' and I chuckled warmly...

The Valeyard 12-19-13 04:12 PM

I use to love it. Now I can't stand it. It takes me right out of the movie/show the second I hear it.

The joke's old and needs to be put out to pasture.

shizawn 12-19-13 04:37 PM

I still like it.

Kal-El 12-19-13 05:45 PM

Honestly I only hear it in those compilation videos. When I'm watching the actual movie, I don't notice it. Even AFTER seeing the scenes in the videos.

Sonic 12-19-13 05:52 PM

I can relate with the scream because that's exactly how I sound when I bust a nut.

Paul_SD 12-19-13 06:07 PM

I never notice it. I probably also don't watch enough of the kinds of films that would use need to use it.

Giantrobo 12-19-13 06:11 PM

I'm aware of it but it doesn't bother me.

Mondo Kane 12-19-13 06:53 PM

Didn't mind it at first, but once it was used on a main character (Buzz Lightyear) the hatred suddenly grew.

fumanstan 12-19-13 07:35 PM

I don't mind it. Don't notice it that often really.

BuckNaked2k 12-19-13 11:03 PM

Always good for a chuckle. I noticed it in Hobbit I.

Charlie Goose 12-19-13 11:15 PM

I prefer this one:

Josh-da-man 12-19-13 11:58 PM

Hate it. It's became way overused and stands out too much.

Blargh!
Blargh!
Blargh!
Blargh!

arminius 12-20-13 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 11951545)
I prefer this one:

Me too.

A-aron 12-20-13 07:46 AM

I hear it all the time ... it is in the new Twix commercial :)

Palaver 12-20-13 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 11951145)
I use to love it. Now I can't stand it. It takes me right out of the movie/show the second I hear it.

The joke's old and needs to be put out to pasture.

Sums up my thoughts exactly. Might as well have the words "Remember. This is just a movie." flash on the screen.