Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

Old 07-31-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madcougar
Fixed. The addition of Topher Grace as Venom killed this movie. I get that Raimi insists that everyone gets unmasked at least once during the movie, but when Venom did it... well it was Eric Foreman. What a freakin joke.

I agree. What a strange and horrible casting decision.
Old 07-31-08, 02:17 PM

Seems like this is a direct result of the huge amount of popularity Ledger has recieved for TDK. However from what I remember of Spider-Man 3 Venom wasn't a very likeable character. No humor, no real entertaining back story, not a whole lot of anything actually. At least The Joker is a somewhat likeable character as demented as he is. It just reminds me a lot of the Spawn movie, and we all know how successful that was (whether it was botched or not is irrelevant IMO).

Personally I think they should just leave the whole Spiderman universe alone and concentrate on their other characters.
Old 08-01-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
^Venom is a hero in some of the comics. He goes around saving people but with less rules than Spiderman. He's a lethal protector.
And pretty much every comic that took on this premise was totaly crap imho. Which doesn't bode well for a movie that goes by the same vein. Venom was at his best when he was a villain, not some confused '90s 'antihero' nonsense.
Old 08-01-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
And pretty much every comic that took on this premise was totaly crap imho. Which doesn't bode well for a movie that goes by the same vein. Venom was at his best when he was a villain, not some confused '90s 'antihero' nonsense.
I agree that Venom works much better as a villain. I doubt though that they'll follow the storylines of the comics that much. Venom is pretty much gonna need an origin/reboot after Spidey 3 especially since theres almost no chance of That 70s Douche reprising the role.
Old 08-01-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts
I must be in the minority because I liked Topher Grace a lot in Spidey 3. I thought he did a really good job. I'd love to see him keep the role in a Venom movie.

Actually, both my wife and I thought he would have made a better Peter Parker/Spider Man than Tobey Maguire (he'd be better at delivering Spidey's legendary smart ass one liners), but he nailed the Eddie Brock/Venom role.

Last edited by B5Erik; 08-01-08 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: Venom (yes, that Venom) - news, rumors, etc.

Gary Ross takes on 'Venom'
Helmer circles Columbia Pictures' Spidey spinoff
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Already rewriting "Spider-Man 4" for Columbia Pictures, Gary Ross is making a deal to rewrite to direct "Venom," a Spidey spinoff. Marvel Entertainment, Avi Arad and Ross will produce.

Venom, an archenemy of the webslinger in the Marvel Comics series, will be transformed into an antihero who becomes a defender of the innocent.

In "Spider-Man 3," Venom was played by Topher Grace, who started out as Eddie Brock, Peter Parker's newspaper rival. Infected by an alien organism that grafted itself to his skin, Brock had superpowers and strength superior to Spider-Man's.

Grace, who just signed on to star in "Robert Rodriguez's Predators" at Fox, is not considered likely to reprise, as the spinoff will start from the drawing board.

Even though Marvel Entertainment was just acquired by Disney in a $4 billion deal, Columbia Pictures is able to turn Venom loose in a film because the studio holds rights in perpetuity not only to Spider-Man but to the villains in his universe.

The studio is also developing another installment of "Ghost Rider."

Fox holds the same rights to its Marvel characters, developing several spinoff features from "X-Men" and scoring a big summer hit with "Wolverine." Fox, which made the "Daredevil" spinoff film "Elektra," is working on "Silver Surfer," based on the character that appeared in "Fantastic Four" sequel "Rise of the Silver Surfer."

Col is moving aggressively to make more installments of "Spider-Man," the studio's most financially valuable franchise. While Sam Raimi is prepping for a 2010 production start on "Spider-Man 4," writer Jamie Vanderbilt is currently scripting the fifth and sixth installments, films which could possibly amount to a reboot with new creative elements.

Ross, who is rewriting a "Spider-Man 4" script originated by Vanderbilt and David Lindsay-Abaire, is also working with Columbia on rewriting to direct the film about cyclist Lance Armstrong's recovery from life-threatening testicular cancer to win a record-breaking seven Tour de France titles.
Old 10-08-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Off-topic, but please let that Lance Armstrong biopic be titled Balls to the Walls.
Old 10-08-09, 12:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
^ Off-topic, but please let that Lance Armstrong biopic be titled Balls to the Walls.
Or I'm Half the Man I Used to Be
Old 10-08-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Or I'm Half the Man I Used to Be
They could use the Stone Temple Pilots song as the movie's theme song. Or maybe they can call it "Do you have what it takes?" and just re-use the cover for the Julia & Julia Blu-ray.
Old 03-08-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Chronicle's' Josh Trank looks to spit some Venom
March 6, 2012 | 4:45 pm

EXCLUSIVE: With Sony’s “The Amazing Spider-Man” looking to kick-start a Spidey resurgence this summer, the studio is taking a crack at another character associated with the superhero: Venom.

The studio is negotiating with Josh Trank, the hot director of this winter’s found-footage hit "Chronicle," to take the reins of the Spidey spin-off, said a person familiar with the project who was not authorized to talk about it publicly. Sony was not immediately available for comment.

The film would center on the gooey villain who was a mainstay of the Marvel comics and was a nemesis, incarnated by Topher Grace, in the third “Spider-Man” picture in 2007. (The character attaches himself to a human host and becomes as powerful as the web-slinging superhero.)

A Venom film has been long-gestating at the studio, dating back at least to 2008 and preceding plans for this summer's Marc Webb-Andrew Garfield take on the character. Gary Ross negotiated to direct a Venom film back in 2009 but moved on to other projects, including the upcoming “Hunger Games.”

Jacob Estes (“The Details”) wrote a draft of a “Venom” script several years ago, but producers are seeking a new writer, said the source. (The Ross version was to craft Venom as less a villain than an antihero.) The film also would be seeking a new actor; Grace is not expected to reprise the role.

With "Venom," the 27-year-old Trank would not only return to superhero territory but would also bring a flair for shoe-leather storytelling that resonates with audiences: Despite an absence of stars as well as a modest budget, “Chronicle” has grossed more than $60 million since coming out last month.
Old 03-08-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I don't mind Venom as a character (though he is pretty overrated) but I'm not too sold on the idea of a film based solely on him. I'd much rather just see a proper Spiderman vs. Venom movie at some point in time.
Old 03-08-12, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree Eddie Brock isn't an interesting enough character to have an entire movie devoted to him, but the new Flash Thompson militaristic Venom would make a cool movie.
Old 03-08-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be OK with an anti-hero Venom so long as the villain is Carnage, and it's a hard PG-13, because you know this will never be R.
Old 03-08-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess the trick is how to re-introduce Venom into the rebooted Spider-man.
Old 12-13-13, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Venom Movie & Sinister Six Movie Announced As Spider-Man Spinoffs By Sony

When Sony Pictures teased Venom on The Daily Bugle Tumblr viral site just yesterday, Comicbook.com noted that it could be a sign that the long rumored Venom movie was finally moving forward. And early this morning, Sony Pictures shocked the comic book world by announcing not only a Venom movie but a Sinister Six movie as well.

Sony Pictures revealed the news in a press release posted to the ElectroArrives.com viral site that had recently been revealed for The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Here’s the full press release:

In a move to forge a new legacy in the story of Peter Parker on screen, Sony Pictures Entertainment, in association with Marvel Entertainment, is developing several new projects in the Spider-Man franchise, with Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon, and Drew Goddard to collaborate on overseeing the developing story over several films that will be produced by Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, it was announced today by Doug Belgrad,president of Columbia Pictures, and Hannah Minghella, president of Production for the studio.

The five writers, along with the two producers and Marc Webb, have formed a franchise brain trust to expand the universe for the brand and to develop a continuous tone and thread throughout the films. Under the deals, the studio announced that Kurtzman & Orci & Pinkner are writing the screenplay for The Amazing Spider-Man 3, which the studio hopes Webb will return to direct; the film will go into production next fall for release on June 10, 2016. In addition, the team will build on the cinematic foundation laid by Webb, Arad, and Tolmach in the first two movies. They will expand the franchise as Kurtzman & Orci & Solomon will write the screenplay for Venom, which Kurtzman will direct; also, Goddard will write, with an eye to direct, The Sinister Six, focusing on the villains in the franchise. Hannah Minghella and Rachel O’Connor will oversee the development and production of these films for the studio.

In tapping these five writers, the studio and the producers are guiding the future of the franchise with the writer/producers who have each played significant and key roles in developing such highly successful franchises, films, and series as Star Trek, Transformers, “Alias,” “Fringe,” Men
in Black, Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, World War Z, “Lost,” Cloverfield, The Cabin in the Woods, and Marvel’s upcoming “Daredevil” series.

Commenting on the announcement, Belgrad said, “The Spider-Man film franchise is one of our studio’s greatest assets. We are thrilled with the creative team we have assembled to delve more deeply into the world that Marc, Avi and Matt have begun to explore in The Amazing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. We believe that Marc, Alex, and Drew have uniquely exciting visions for how to expand the Spider-Man universe in each of these upcoming films.” Arad and Tolmach added, “This collaboration was born out of the great experience we and Marc had working with Alex, Bob, and Jeff on The Amazing Spider-Man 2. With more than fifty years’ wealth of stories in the comic books to draw upon for inspiration, the Spider-Man universe is truly boundless; in addition, the Spider-Man comics have the greatest rogues gallery of any series, and to have the chance to explore that on film is truly thrilling. Until now, we have approached each film as a separate, self-contained entity, but with this move, we have the opportunity to grow the franchise by looking to the future as we develop a continuous arc for the story. That is what Alex, Bob, Jeff, Ed, and Drew will do in this unprecedented collaboration, and we’re excited about the directions they are taking the character and the world.”

The most successful franchise in the history of Columbia Pictures, Spider-Man is embraced all over the world. The four Spider-Man films to date have taken in over $3.2 billion worldwide.

Spider-Man, Venom, The Sinister Six and other Spider-Man related characters are licensed to Sony by Marvel Entertainment.
Sinister 6 movie...what could possibly go wrong...

Sony is never letting go of Spider-Man.
Old 12-13-13, 08:10 AM
Banned

re: Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

UGH. Solo Venom movie. I bet it will be based on that horrible "lethal protector" antihero phase he went through in the 90s. If the solo Venom movie is successful, Carnage is surely going to follow.
Old 12-13-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I like that we are getting villain movies. That's pretty cool.
Old 12-13-13, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I like that we are getting villain movies. That's pretty cool.
Could be. Or in the last 10 mins, Spidey swings in and kicks their ass. Credits.
Old 12-13-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

This is such a bad idea, it hardly abides the telling
Old 12-13-13, 08:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Topher Grace announced this morning that he's available. I told him to shut the fuck up and just make my Frappuccino.
Old 12-13-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sinister Six yes.

But is Venom a good guy? (sometimes?) I swear I remember a black venom hero.
Old 12-13-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Venom (yes, that Venom) - news, rumors, etc.

They had a Venom movie in the works since 2008.
Old 12-13-13, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
But is Venom a good guy? (sometimes?) I swear I remember a black venom hero.
Venom was an antihero in the 90s, kind of like Punisher. He got his own Venom: Lethal Protector series or something like that.

There are more symbiotes than Venom and Carnage. I know there is one called Toxin, who is probably the third most popular after Venom and Carnage. There are some other minor symbiotes too, including a few females.

Eddie Brock actually isn't Venom anymore in the comics. Flash Thompson is. Flash as Venom has his own series too, and he is a government agent superhero or something. I'm not too sure because I don't read it.
Old 12-13-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like that the success of Marvel has spurred other studios to try replicating that winning formula. It won't always work - and I already think this Spider-man series is dog shit - but I applaud the ambition.

Personally, if they do it right I don't have an issue with a Venom anti-hero movie. I always liked Venom as a kid, and I love anti-heroes. Secondly, a Sinister Six movie also has potential since it's rare we get a full-fledged picture that focuses solely on villains.

I will remain cautiously optimistic about the prospects of both.
Old 12-13-13, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sony. Fucking up the characters you love.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.