Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
re: Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

I dunno I sort of feel like if the plan was to introduce Venom or symbiote in a future film that Marvel would have kept quiet about it rather than announcing an official film with that title. Why would they put out a blatant spoiler before either Homecoming or possibly Infinity War if they planned to introduce that story into one of those films?

It seems more likely to me that Sony jumped the gun on doing this film and I would guess they want to take it the rated R route and try to mimic the recent successes Fox has had. The problem is they risk screwing up the Spider-Man universe yet again. Frankly if I was Marvel I'd be a bit pissed at Sony. Granted yes Sony does still own the Spider-Man film rights but Marvel is trying to get the character on track for them again. They don't necessarily need to even do that but it benefits them both and thus far the reception has been decent. Now you have Sony back to their old ways again trying to do something like this. Unless they have the backing of Marvel (which I sort of doubt) this is a pretty questionable move in my opinion.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-17-17 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-17-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Did someone say "Venom movie"?

Old 03-17-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Did someone say "Venom movie"?

What a classic...
Old 03-17-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
There is a possibility of being tied into Homecoming as this is now scheduled to come out only a few months later.
Homecoming comes out in July of this year, The Venom date is October of next year.
Old 03-27-17, 12:15 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

In a rare bit of Hollywood cooperation between Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures, both studios reached an agreement that will allow them to share–and benefit from–Spider-Man appearing on the big screen. But while Marvel has Tom Holland cast as Peter Parker, who made his introduction in Captain America: Civil War and will be leading Spider-Man: Homecoming, Sony still owns the cinematic portrayals of the web-crawler and something on the order of 900 Marvel characters. It goes without saying that they’d like to capitalize on that intellectual property.

We’re already seeing this happen. Fox example, the recent story that Sony has hired screenwriter Chris Yost (Thor: Ragnarok) to write the script for Spider-Man characters Black Cat and Silver Sable, building on a previous version of the script Lisa Joy (Westworld); Matt Tolmach and Amy Pascal will produce the film previously known as the “secret female spin-off project.” However, there’s also the previously announced Venom standalone film and its recently confirmed release date of October 5, 2018. Scripted by Dante Harper (Alien: Covenant) and produced by Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, we’re hearing that Sony is developing Venom not only as the film to launch their own Marvel Universe, but as an R-rated effort.

Keep in mind that this is the plan we’re hearing about at the moment and that things could still change between now and late 2018—especially once a director signs on and has his or her own vision—but it’s certainly an interesting approach to building Sony’s Marvel Universe. Andrew Garfield‘s take on Peter Parker in The Amazing Spider-Man films was fine, but apparently not a direction the studio wanted to continue pursuing, despite tallying nearly $1.5 billion from just two films. Instead, the newly retooled Sony’s Marvel Universe will launch with an R-rated Venom that is expected to keep its budget modest. It sounds like Sony’s taking notes on the successes of both the MCU and 20th Century Fox’s Deadpool and Logan, and applying them to their own substantial stable of superheroes and supervillains.

Let’s be clear: Sony’s Marvel Universe will not be connected to the MCU in any way (sorry, Guardians of the Galaxy fans, but a Venom crossover is highly dubious) and the planned Venom and Black Cat and Silver Sable films are all part of Sony’s own shared universe, not spin-offs of any existing films. Marvel’s Kevin Feige has nothing to do with these films; it’s Tom Rothman, chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment’s Motion Picture Group, who’s calling the shots. The announcement of Venom‘s release date tells us that the execs are happy with the script and the new direction they’re embarking on, but with no director set for either film, obviously things can still change since all of the announced films are still in development.

What I really want to hear more about is Venom‘s tone and story. An R-rating allows for a lot of room for creativity, but just how are they going to bring the alien symbiote into the story? (And, no, Life is not a Venom prequel.) I’m not sure how Venom is going to be introduced without Spider-Man acting as its first known host, unless Sony’s either going off-book with the introduction or will mention this origin story of sorts in a passing manner. What I can see is Venom being a really interesting horror film in which the alien symbiote is a parasitic entity driving its hosts insane, or even more interesting, a revenge tale in which its host uses the powers and abilities granted to him (or her) to exact vengeance, similar to the plot of Death Note. And who will it focus on, Eddie Brock, Mac Gargan, Ann Weying, or maybe even just Peter Parker? (Probably not Deadpool…) In other words, I don’t know how Sony will pull off a supervillain-focused film, but I’m very interested in seeing what they come up with.
http://collider.com/venom-movie-rati...arvel-universe
Old 03-27-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts

Exactly what is NOT needed. Fucking Rothman is the last in a long line of icebergs that will finally sink this company.
Old 03-27-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

yeah no idea how they plan on doing this... i think they should continue working with Disney and have a consistent universe
Old 03-27-17, 12:48 PM

Hopefully the bosses at Sony react how they did after the Sony email hacks, put a kibosh on this, and make them work with Marvel Studios.

Old 04-18-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A couple of takeaways in this interview with Kevin Feige:

Spider-Man is in Avengers 4 … and Marvel has no involvement in the Spidey spinoffs.

Marvel's landmark deal with Sony has allowed the wall-crawler to enter the MCU, and Feige confirmed Spider-Man will appear in 2019's untitled Avengers 4. That’s after his starring turn in Spider-Man: Homecoming and 2018’s Avengers: Infinity War. After the second Avengers appearance, it will be back for a Homecoming sequel, set for 2019.

“That’s as far as it goes for now,” Feige said. (For now? Hmm.)

Sony is moving ahead with Spidey spin-offs for Venom and a Silver Sable, Black Cat teamup movie, but Marvel isn't involved.

"We had a very particular plan about Spidey himself," Feige explained when asked why Marvel wasn't involved in Sony's projects with those characters, although he kept those plans to himself.
But....

Feige has no plans for an R-rated movie.

Don’t look for an R rated Marvel movie in wake of success of such bloody and potty-mouthed movies such as Logan and Deadpool any time soon.

“My takeaway from both of those films is not the R rating, it’s the risk they took, the chances they took, the creative boundaries that they pushed,” Feige explained. “That should be the takeaway for everyone.”

While the R-rating is an easy-identifiable trait of those movies, Feige cited the breaking of the fourth wall in Deadpool and the finality of the Wolverine story as examples of what made those movies stand out.
Old 05-19-17, 01:22 PM

Woah...

Tom Hardy to Star in ‘Spider-Man’ Movie ‘Venom,’ Ruben Fleischer to Direct
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/to...er-1202418721/

I'm going to retitle this just for the Venom film. If Sinister Six ever comes to fruition, we will make a new thread.
Old 05-19-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

One caveat, this is part of "Sony's Marvel Universe" so apparently not exactly connected to the MCU.
Old 05-19-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Old 05-19-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Well casting off to a good start.
Old 05-19-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well to even out the good start to casting next will be Jesse Eisenberg as Carnage.

I guess Spidey will have to show up in the movie, but why do i get the feeling they may be going R rated with this to jump on that bandwagon. If thats the case then using Spidey in an R rated movie would feel out of place.
Old 05-19-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good choice with Hardy but I'm still pretty iffy on this.
Old 05-19-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 548 Likes on 341 Posts

Sony is still allowed to make movies?
Old 05-19-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Sony is still allowed to make movies?
Guess so. As I said, this is part of the "Sony Marvel Universe" and I swore I read the next Spider-Man (after Homecoming) will be part of that and not as directly connected to the MCU.
Old 05-19-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, good start. Eddie Brock, I assume?
Old 05-19-17, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Guess so. As I said, this is part of the "Sony Marvel Universe" and I swore I read the next Spider-Man (after Homecoming) will be part of that and not as directly connected to the MCU.
There will be an MCU Sequel to Homecoming, that much has been confirmed. Beyond that is anybody's guess, but I assume they would have to extend the deal to make more MCU films.
Old 05-19-17, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, good start. Eddie Brock, I assume?

Tom Hardy is Eddie Brock in #Venom, the upcoming film from Sony’s Marvel Universe releasing October 5, 2018 – production starts this fall.

A post shared by Sony Pictures (@sonypictures) on <time style=" font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px;" datetime="2017-05-19T18:06:21+00:00">May 19, 2017 at 11:06am PDT</time>

<script async defer src="//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js"></script>
Old 05-20-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice The bigger beefier Venom I wanted to see in Spidey 3 instead of Topher Grace
Old 05-20-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really get how they're doing this without Spider-Man since the symbiote that creates Venom evolves from Spidey. Unless they're just assuming people know the backstory of the character like certain other films are doing in which case I expect a mess. Also while I think Hardy is a good choice Fleischer is a bit of a head scratcher for director. He's done some decent work but nothing that makes me think he's a good fit for a film like this. Sometimes directors can do projects out of what they're normally known for (the Russo Brothers for example) other times it doesn't work so well.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-20-17 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-20-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

are those actual scars on his face?
Old 06-18-17, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Posted the same thing in the Silver and Black thread. Way more excited about these Sony spinoffs now.

Sony Confirms Spider-Man Spinoffs Will Tie To MCU

| June 18, 2017
Ever since Spider-Man made the jump to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in last year's Captain America: Civil War, fans wondered which characters from the expansive Spider-verse would follow suit.

Those hopes were slightly dashed with the announcement that Sony's two planned Spider-Man spinoffs, Venom and Silver & Black, would establish their own universe separate from the MCU.

But now, that appears to not be the case.

While being interviewed by FilmStarts for Spider-Man: Homecoming, Sony's Amy Pascal revealed that Sony's Marvel Universe of films will, in fact, exist in the same universe as the MCU.

"Both movies will now take place in the world that we are creating for Peter Parker." Pascal explained. "They'll be adjuncts to it, they may be different locations, but it will still all be in the same world. And they will be connected to each other as well."

When asked if that meant that Peter Parker himself, Tom Holland, would appear in Sony's spinoff films, Pascal offered a pretty optimistic tease.

"There's always a chance. I think one of the things that Kevin has done with Marvel that's so brilliant, is bringing the fans along, and making each movie feel like a chapter in a book. That you have to read that chapter in order to go forward. And I think the investment that fans get to feel in being part of a larger story and understanding what's happening, is something that I know Sony would want to emulate."

This news comes after recent pre-production updates about both Venom and Silver & Black, suggesting that an extended Spider-Verse isn't that far away. Venom - which is slated for a 2018 release - will be directed by Zombieland's Ruben Fleischer, and will star Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock.

Silver & Black, which will follow the female villains Silver Sable and Black Cat, recently found a director in Gina Prince-Blythewood, who directed the pilot of Marvel's Cloak & Dagger.

This confirmation that the films are connected is sure to surprise fans, especially after Marvel Studios exec Kevin Feige's recent statements seemed to directly counteract this idea. But nevertheless, it's sure to excite those who have been eagerly anticipating an extended live-action Spider-Verse.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/06/...enom-connected

I'm wondering now if we could see the Symbiote introduced in Infinity War and have it attach itself to Spidey. It could make sense that it could somehow attach itself to one of the Guardians or something and subsequently attach itself to Spidey leading to the Venom film.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-18-17 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-18-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Amy has no idea what she's talking about.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.