DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Purge: Anarchy (2014) D: DeMonaco; S: Frank Grillo, Kiele Sanchez, Zach Gilford (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/615929-purge-anarchy-2014-d-demonaco%3B-s-frank-grillo-kiele-sanchez-zach-gilford.html)

dex14 12-11-13 08:25 PM

The Purge: Anarchy (2014) D: DeMonaco; S: Frank Grillo, Kiele Sanchez, Zach Gilford

Universal will release The Purge 2 on June 20. It will face off against the Warner Bros’ musical Jersey Boys and Sony/Screen Gems comedy Think Like A Man Too. Writer-director-producer James DeMonaco will return to produce the thriller’s next chapter, along with Blumhouse Productions’ Jason Blum, Sébastien K. Lemercier and Platinum Dunes partners Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form. The sequel was first made public in early June when it was awarded part of the California’s $100 million Film/TV tax credit this year, just before the original Purge came out on June 7.

EXCLUSIVE: On the heels of Blumhouse Productions‘ supernatural hit Insidious: Chapter 2 crossing $150M worldwide, Blumhouse and Universal are beefing up their sequel to this summer’s micro-budget horror-thriller The Purge. Frank Grillo (The Grey) will lead the cast of The Next Chapter of The Purge under returning Purge helmer James DeMonaco who is also writing and producing. Plot details are under wraps but there’s plenty of opportunity to explore the dystopian world established in the first film, which starred Ethan Hawke as a security system designer protecting his family from home invasion on the one night each year when the cops take a day off to let crime run rampant. The movie opened in June and grossed roughly $90M worldwide on a $3M budget. Blumhouse Productions’ Jason Blum, Sébastien K. Lemercier and Platinum Dunes’ Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form will produce The Purge 2, which marks the latest Blumhouse project in Blum’s first-look deal with Uni. The sequel is already set for a June 20, 2014 debut. Grillo most recently popped up in the Sly Stallone-penned Jason Statham actioner Homefront but has been building momentum of late with roles in End of Watch, Warrior, Zero Dark Thirty. He’ll appear in Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier next April and is currently filming A Conspiracy On Jekyll Island with Minnie Driver, AnnaSophia Robb, Ed Westwick, Dianna Agron and John Leguizamo. Grillo is repped by Management 360, CAA and attorney Erik Hyman.

Dr. DVD 12-11-13 09:00 PM

Re: The Purge 2 (2014) D: DeMonaco; S: Grillo

I hope this one isn't as much a sequel as something that runs parallel to the events of the first movie. Footage of the actual purge on a large scale would be interesting, as opposed to a run of the mill psychos stalking a family story with the purge used as a back drop.

islandclaws 12-12-13 12:56 AM

Get the concept out of the house and show us the REAL shit happening on the streets, then I'm back for more.

redrum 12-12-13 04:26 AM

Purge was a awful movie

A-aron 12-12-13 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 11942653)
Get the concept out of the house and show us the REAL shit happening on the streets, then I'm back for more.

So, like a mashup of The Purge and Judgement Night ?

DRG 12-12-13 08:53 AM

Yeah, the concept is fun but the execution in the first film didn't take advantage of it, really.

Groucho 12-12-13 08:56 AM

The first movie made no sense. Everybody gets immunity from crimes! But we're all wearing masks for some reason!

EddieMoney 12-12-13 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11942795)
The first movie made no sense. Everybody gets immunity from crimes! But we're all wearing masks for some reason!

To protect themselves out of fear of retribution?

Just guessing, I never actually saw it.

Solid Snake 12-12-13 10:17 AM

That's what I was guessing.

d2cheer 12-12-13 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11942795)

Well it would be awkward running to a neighbor you tried to kill and rape the night before.

Groucho 12-12-13 01:32 PM

That's why you finish the job and leave no witnesses. Seriously, you people would be shitty purgers. -ohbfrank-

Giantrobo 12-12-13 01:43 PM

I would like to see a prequel showing right around the time the Purge is initiated. Or seeing how the "have nots" and the poor fight back against the Elite. Clearly The Purge was created to make their world better, not everyone elses....

funkyryno 12-12-13 01:48 PM

The Purge was pretty bad. I didn't last more than 30 minutes -- I couldn't get past how ridiculous the whole premise was.

redrum 12-12-13 02:24 PM

the premise is actually pretty cool, the movie just sucked hard

Dr. DVD 12-12-13 08:00 PM

What really struck me as odd was how they stated the upper class area was one of low danger. In reality, that's where everyone would head first. Also, the upper class wouldn't be in a small gated community if they knew this was happening. They would put themselves into a huge fortress with a big ass wall and hire a bunch of private security/military to guard it with big ass guns.

dex14 02-12-14 12:07 PM

Universal and Blumhouse Productions’ micro-budget horror thriller The Purge made about $90 million worldwide last year on about a $3M budget and now comes the first trailer for the sequel, the now-titled The Purge: Anarchy. James DeMonaco returns as writer-director-producer as does the premise: what happens in a dystopian future on the one night of the year when crime is legal. Frank Grillo, Zach Gilford, Kiele Sanchez, Michael K. Williams, Carmen Ejogo and Zoe Soul star. Blumhouse’s Jason Blum, Sébastien K. Lemercie and Platinum Dunes’ Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form produce. It will be released June 20:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NwxDUqE9txQ?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RichC2 02-12-14 12:14 PM

Re: The Purge: Anarchy (2014) D: DeMonaco; S: Frank Grillo

Well looks like they listened to some complaints and broadened the scope.

One shot in there just looked like people paid to kidnap their boss and went to town on him, with you know, knives :lol:

riotinmyskull 02-12-14 12:14 PM

that trailer just made me think they should let jason eisener direct one of these.

PenguinJoe 02-12-14 12:29 PM

The first Purge was awful, the whole movie I was thinking, why don't the just burn down the house? This one looks better but someone said it before The Purge would make an awesome video game a much better game than a movie.

islandclaws 02-12-14 12:32 PM

Why do new cars always break down? Doesn't anyone drive a beater anymore?

Glad to see they expanded the scope. I'm interested.

gp1086 02-12-14 07:13 PM

I like the trailer and am looking forward to seeing if they can rebound after being letdown from the first one (also loved the first trailer).

PenguinJoe 02-12-14 10:22 PM

why don't they just hide in the trunk of the car.

Rob V 02-13-14 09:51 AM

This movie looks worse than the original --- if that's possible. If you know the Purge is tonight, maybe stay home... prep, get your guns loaded! Don't go visit the in-laws across town and decide to come home at dusk --- dummies!

Groucho 02-13-14 09:57 AM

People are still wearing masks?! :gah: :gah:

GoldenJCJ 02-13-14 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12010567)
People are still wearing masks?! :gah: :gah:

Even the purgers in The Purge suck at purging!