Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016, D: Zwick) S: Cruise, Smulders

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016, D: Zwick) S: Cruise, Smulders

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Re: Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016, D: Zwick) S: Cruise, Smulders

Dammit! My wife wants to see this but can't go until next weekend! I'm still looking forward to this as I like Tom Cruise and love the Jack Reacher character.
Old 10-23-16, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Bummed about this one....tbh the trailers had a lot of these warning signs, despite how 'fun' it looked. Probably will switch to Deepwater Horizon, or one of the better options this wknd...
Deepwater Horizon was better.
Old 10-23-16, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After hearing that this was getting pretty bad reviews, I went in with low expectations and still was disappointed. I almost fell asleep about 3/4 of the way through. What a waste of time this movie was.
Old 10-24-16, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

The time's for the other movies didn't line up, so I ended up seeing this... wow, I only see a handful of films a yr in theaters...this is hands down the worst directed film I've seen in years. Who is this person pretending to be Edward Zwick? I simply cannot believe this is the same person who did Glory, Courage Under Fire, Last Samurai, etc. It felt like someone's first feature film, right out of film school....and that's being generous. Basic things were so incoherent, so bad....i mean basic staging of scenes.... I do some storyboarding for a few commercials a year.... every other scene is just close ups/extreme close ups. And no wonder they didn't show the (maybe) daughter in the previews...this by itself just sabotaged the whole thing...and how did this actress get the part? I assume a few hundred gals were in consideration.

The pacing and editing is just beyond awful... it's endless scenes of hotel rooms, two copies of scenes of Jack bringing in coffee and breakfast....seriously. The most damning scene...if I heard it right... Colbie's character buys a taxi drivers hat, for a disguise I guess (like Jack did in the first movie)...she asks if he's a Mets fan....but it's a Washington Nationals hat.

Last edited by Artman; 10-24-16 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-24-16, 05:52 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
The pacing and editing is just beyond awful... it's endless scenes of hotel rooms, two copies of scenes of Jack bringing in coffee and breakfast....seriously. The most damning scene...if I heard it right... Colbie's character buys a taxi drivers hat, for a disguise I guess (like Jack did in the first movie)...she asks if he's a Mets fan....but it's a Washington Nationals hat.
I noticed the two exact scenes of bringing food. It did stick out for some reason.

Smulders asked the cabbie if he was a "Nats" fan.
Old 10-25-16, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I caught a matinee yesterday. I'll be in the minority and say that I actually enjoyed it. However, I do agree with some of Artman's comments about the editing. A lot of extraneous scenes that ended up serving no real purpose could have been cut or tightened up. Too many scenes in hotels with food, coffee that really didn't add anything.

A really stupid scene that did bug me was in the middle part of the film after Reacher broke out Turner:

Spoiler:
and then the 2 of them went to an internet cafe and she tried to actually log into her army account. How stupid was she to think they wouldn't shut that down or monitor her trying to access it? She tried like 10 times to log into that account and it said it was blocked.

It was for the most part a very procedural-like plot. An open and shut case like something you would see on TV. But, I thought Cruise and Smulders worked well together. I actually liked Smulders here much more than her appearances in the Avengers movies as Maria Hill. I thought she handled a lot of the physicality of the part well. And she looked pretty good in Army attire.

I could have done without the kid. That was another plot point that really ended up being unnecessary and added nothing. I guess they wanted to lighten up the lone wolf Reacher and show that he actually had a heart of gold.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-25-16 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-25-16, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw a matinee of this earlier on. I was a big fan of the original and while I haven't read all of the Jack Reacher books I have read a couple of them. This movie is alright. It's not as good as the first and also not as interesting. In the first half the fun of it was watching Reacher deduce everything as the plot unfolded. Here there isn't much plot to unfold and honestly after leaving I couldn't really tell you much about the who dunnit part.

I agree that the movie could have used some tightening up. It seems like the pace isn't as breakneck as it could be. Some scenes seem to go on longer than they should and some happen so fast that you almost wish you could rewind. The action scenes were ok also with a pretty suspenseful finale taking place at Mardi Gras. I also didn't really have a problem with the daughter character like some others.

Ultimately the biggest sin with this movie is just the fact that it feels more like a generic military thriller and that hurts it. I would give it a 3/5 it's still worth a watch but as a rental or matinee and with expectations in check. Still, I'd be down for a third shot of Cruise playing Reacher and hope that it happens again.
Old 10-25-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On a business trip so my choices are sit in a hotel room or go to a movie. Saw this tonight and enjoyed it. I'm going to agree with almost everything DJ and robin said. Could have been tightened up. For a Reacher novel it did seem very generic and cliche', didn't mind the girl since that was an attempt to add some danger and suspense but we've seen it all before. When they figured out the numbers didn't add up, I figured out the twist. I'm lousy at that so I'm assuming it was easy to deduce. Cobie was freakin hot. Looked good in that uniform and very athletic running. She was convincing as a soldier. I'll have to ask my son if you can make major in 10 years. That seemed a bit quick. I give it a solid 3/5.
Old 10-30-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

I really enjoyed Reacher 2. It was a solid action/suspense thriller. Smulders was really good and I liked the dynamic of Reacher working with someone who was basically an equal and that he couldn't just order around.

The action was good and the story was solid. Nothing groundbreaking at all, but as a whole the movie was very entertaining.

4/5.
Old 10-30-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was really impressed with Smulder's athleticism. She ran like a track star. She could have done a bit more fight training though.
Old 12-31-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Saw this yesterday and it was just ok. The first one was way better in terms of everything.
Old 01-29-17, 06:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

This was so insipid. Just uninspired and unimaginative. Preposterous coincidences, a love interest and corny courting lines by Reacher?? No. Now of course I believe they are following the books. I was talking to my dad and he thought it was "excellent". I told him it was the antithesis of the mysterious loner we came to know in the original which I understand is not the first book in series. This was just such dreck and I can't believe this was another Zwick/Cruise movie and they let it get made this way. The baddies were carcicatures. Very disappointing.

Is this going to get a sequel? Maybe correct what went wrong...
Old 02-02-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I feel guilty now that I convinced my wife to watch this turd of a movie with me. I missed most of the final New Orleans action scene, as I grew too bored and spent the last quarter of the movie playing with my phone.

2 out of 5 stars. Sad.
Old 02-02-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Weird... I am surprised at so many negative comments on this one. I actually liked it. Redboxed it yesterday and was surprised how much I did like it after not liking the first one.
Old 02-04-17, 01:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Wife and I just finished watching it. We enjoyed it, although the storyline was a bit more contrived. But seeing Smulders in such a prominent role was really nice. This one didn't have the same focus and drive as the first (not to mention storyline), but it still worked to a lesser extent. I'd say 3/5, whereas the first was 3.5-4/5.
Old 02-04-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

My wife and I just watched it. While I don't think it was as good as the 1st, it was damn entertaining. Seriously, Tom Cruise always puts out an entertaining movie.
Old 02-05-17, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this again last night for the first time at home. Never read the books so was surprised to find in the extras, the part of the main villain was added just for the movie. I found this entertaining but formulaic. Anyone read the book? How did a story already this generic fair when the main baddie wasn't even in the book?
Old 02-05-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

First movie I really enjoyed. This was rather dull and very meh.
Old 02-05-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife and I watched it last night. Not nearly good as the first one but not the train wreck I was expecting after seeing the review scores. I would rather sit through a mediocre Cruise movie than some of the other trash that is on TV most days now.
Old 02-06-17, 08:02 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Did like it as much as the first one... but still a good popcorn flick. Couldn't shake the thought that Colby Smulders wasn't playing Maria Hill from The Avengers.

3 of 5 stars for me.
Old 03-13-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watched this last night and it was bad in a very mediocre way. The plot and character was just so by the numbers. I hate it when I'm 10 steps ahead of the characters and that climactic scene with the cargo inspection was so painful to watch. There was a lot of "characters are as capable/competent as the plot requires" stuff.

It's the same with the directing. I agree the editing could have been tightened up, particularly once they got to NO. Even the action was just serviceable. I actually fast forwarded through most of the final chase/fight sequence.

PS. This is also the first film I've noticed Cruise starting to look his age. Both of his goodbye scenes with the ladies of the film had shots where his face looked a bit puffy.
Old 03-13-17, 09:32 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

This movie already came out?! Here and gone in a heartbeat. Forgettable shit. What happened to the Tom Cruise that made good movies?
Old 03-13-17, 09:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Well last October. Made $58 mil and then disappeared. He hasn't made a bad movie yet, just some lesser than others.
Old 03-13-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
What happened to the Tom Cruise that made good movies?
He took a misstep. The last three movies prior to Jack Reacher 2 were Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation, Edge of Tomorrow, and Oblivion. All good to great movies.

Now his upcoming movies? Who knows...
Old 03-13-17, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Reviews are all over the place in here. Will probably check it out now because of that alone.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.