Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Jackson, 2013) The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Hobbitt: The Desolation of Smaug (Jackson, 2013) The Reviews Thread
10.61%
12.12%
34.85%
21.21%
12.12%
1.52%
4.55%
1.52%
1.52%
0%
0%
The Hobbit: The Desolation of My Lower Intestine
0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Jackson, 2013) The Reviews Thread

Old 12-30-13, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Jackson, 2013) The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Ah thanks. And did the conversation bring to light the motivation to take back the mountain now as opposed to at another time? (that might have been established in the first movie but it seemed like they were giving reasons in this conversation)

And thinking about the final battle, Smaug's tactics sucked ass. He should have been blowing fire at all times everywhere, nonstop, 360. Plus when they split up into groups he would almost have one group then get distracted like an idiot and start chasing other people 500 feet away.
I think it did and he also mentioned his father, but I am not sure. It's been a couple of weeks since I saw it.
Old 12-30-13, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hated the cliffhanger ending. You'd also think the battle with Smaug would be enough without inter-cutting the other battle through out it. That diluted and dragged out the Smaug portion. It's like they didn't think there would be enough action and suspense on screen with just the dragon. Bad call. Wish they had kept this to two movies as it just feels like they're filling for time to make three. Heck, I'd rather it was one great but tight movie than three so-so ones.
Old 12-30-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finally got around to seeing this tonight. I really want to like these films (Hobbit that is...I loved LotR), but this was just mind-numbingly boring. I thought the first one was flawed, but reasonably entertaining. It at least had one scene worth remembering in the Gollum scene. Smaug might have been a better constructed movie overall (honestly though, I barely remember Journey), but it felt like I was in the theater for at least 4 hours. Halfway through the Samug battle I caught myself thinking about things I had to do at work tomorrow. The Dwarves are some of the most uninteresting protagonists I have ever seen in a movie of this stature. I could let it slide if Thorin was even the least bit compelling, but he's not and the result is that I have absolutely no investment in his quest. I love Martin Freeman as Bilbo, but he seems like an afterthought. Also, they could have cut every single second that Legolas appeared and nothing would have changed. Sure there would have been less action, but I've never been a fan of Jackson's action direction to begin with. I suppose I'll see the third one so that there's some kind of payoff, but overall I was incredibly disappointed.
Old 12-30-13, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this in IMAX 3D HFR and realized that when I saw the first one in HFR the theater must've fucked up and shown it 24/fps somehow. Because I hated it. Sure, it looks incredibly vivid and crystal clear, but the major downside is everything looks to be moving at 1.5x speed. It's weird. Like someone hit the fast motion button on the remote.
Old 12-31-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was ok. I just do not like the addition of all the orc stuff. I have lost interest in seeing anymore of the endless slaughter of the seemingly endless hordes of orcs. They are about as dangerous as a stormtrooper in Star Wars, though they did get to kill some cardboard cutouts of elves at least. The head of Laketown is terrible. He does not come across as any kind of nefarious leader and oppressor. The movie should have ended with the demise of the dragon rather than leaving everything for the last movie. The whole fight with the dragon felt off. He was just too stupid. I did think the Dol Guldur and spider stuff worked. The cages of the Nazgul and the fight with Sauron was interesting.

Overall I liked the first one more. This one really shows the bloat and strays too far from the book. It's starting to seem like footage is being shot so there is more footage, not because the story calls for it. Jackson needs a more forceful editor.
Old 12-31-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think there is a great movie here, it just needs to be 35 minutes long and integrated with 45 minutes from Unexpected and 45 from the 3rd movie.
Old 12-31-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The problem with that is that the way the films are written, you can't just take the bits from the book and edit them together, because some some of the new stuff integrates with it. I guess that's kind of to Jackson's credit, the new pieces aren't just inserted around the stuff from the book. I liked this movie, but it was basically a holding pattern until we get to the third. I was more tolerant of the Smaug stuff even though it was ultimately just there to get him out of the mountain. Jackson's ramped up action sequences are among the few whin excite me anymore. My problem was the middle of the film, the Laketown stuff ground the movie to a screeching halt, and the while sequence of trying to open the door into the mountain seemed to take forever. Jackson is a talented director and there is good stuff in these movies, but there just isn't any way around the fact that not only are these being stretched out because they want to squeeze more money out of it, but there just isn't enough material to sustain it. Jackson is massively excessive, and sometimes that's part of his charm, but at least there was so much material in LOTR that even as long as it was, he to cut some stuff out. This has the opposite problem. I'd like to see him go back and make a much smaller, less extravagant movie after this is all said and done to see if he still has it in him. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what's in the EE and if it flows a bit better, and still hoping, though doubting that the third will pull out all of the stops and at least justify some of the excesses of the first two movies. Still, if it's too much of a good thing, there are still a lot of good things here, IMO. And yeah, the Orc fodder does get a little old, but I think there's way less of that here than in LOTR.
Old 12-31-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't wait for the EE and am hoping that it will have more than just 10 minutes of EE footage. I want an extra 30-45 minutes, damn it!
Old 12-31-13, 01:02 PM
Banned by request

You would have gotten 30-45 extra minutes if the theatrical cuts had been of reasonable length. It's clear Jackson is putting in everything and the kitchen sink in to justify his bloated run times for these films.
Old 12-31-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
You would have gotten 30-45 extra minutes if the theatrical cuts had been of reasonable length. It's clear Jackson is putting in everything and the kitchen sink in to justify his bloated run times for these films.
That's a valid point too, he could've made these far shorter and then added in most of the excessive stuff in the EEs and it probably would've made the whole enterprise work better.
Old 12-31-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went into this one with incredibly low expectations after the first Hobbit, but man did I walk out wildly surprised. I loved it, and have seen it twice now.

Sure, there were parts I didn't like, mostly Legolas' antics during the barrel escape and everything Laketown, but the rest worked.

I like the orcs, and Sauron, and the wraiths -- pretty much everything he's doing to tie the two trilogies together. I suppose that has a lot to do with the fact that I didn't read (or don't remember) the books. My familiarity with the material comes almost exclusively from the movies.

This was the first movie I've seen in proper IMAX in over 20 years (the last one was an undersea documentary I saw in the 6th grade). Honestly, this was one of the best film going experiences I've had, and bar none the best execution of 3D I've seen so far.
Old 12-31-13, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The funny thing is I remember reading a bit of The Hobbit, but where I stopped (which was not that far at all) coincided with the end of the first movie. So the bloatedness is a good point but I do like the films.
Old 01-06-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked it, for the most part. I agree that the Smaug scenes with him chasing the dwarves was for the most part, annoying and unnecessary. I was really hoping for the riddling that Bilbo does with him in the books, but I guess that's too boring for today's "modern" audiences. Anyway, looking forward to the battle of five armies and more of the Dol Guldur stuff in the next one. Wish I didn't have to wait a year!
Old 01-06-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I was really hoping for the riddling that Bilbo does with him in the books, but I guess that's too boring for today's "modern" audiences.
That's not in the movie?
Old 01-06-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's in there. Not word for word, but it's in there.
Old 01-06-14, 02:37 PM
Banned

It's funny. I've yet to read the book but the riddles aspect that Bilbo used against Gollum and Smaug sounded vastly more interesting than what we got. But I guess Jackson has to dumb it down for average dumb fuck?
Old 01-06-14, 03:19 PM
Banned by request

IIRC, the riddling with Gollum is pretty close to the book.
Old 01-06-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the "riddles" with Smaug weren't really riddles. He flattered the hell out of him while trying to keep his purpose for being there on the down low. He also didn't tell him what his name was or what race he belonged to - that way if Smaug killed Bilbo and knew everything about him he would not fly over to the Shire and burn it down.

That was easily conveyed in DOS. Smaug kept humoring Bilbo and saying how "impressive" his titles were. He also kept calling him "barrel rider" and "underhill." Underhill is a funny one, because that was Frodo's undercover name when he went to go meet Gandalf at the Prancing Pony in FOTR.
Old 01-06-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
It's funny. I've yet to read the book but the riddles aspect that Bilbo used against Gollum and Smaug sounded vastly more interesting than what we got. But I guess Jackson has to dumb it down for average dumb fuck?
No, it's almost word-for-word from the novel, IIRC.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 01-06-14 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-06-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
The Gollum stuff is taken from the book verbatim, Smaug not so much. In fact, after the initial introduction of Smaug and initial humoring by Bilbo, the movie kind of goes its own way. Smaug never sees Bilbo in the book, and there sure as hell isn't some overly elaborate action bit of him chasing the dwarves through all of the mountain.
Old 01-06-14, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is. Off the top of my head, only a few words (like how many teeth Gollum has) were changed. But it's essentially the same scene as the book.
Old 01-06-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
It is. Off the top of my head, only a few words (like how many teeth Gollum has) were changed. But it's essentially the same scene as the book.
Gollum only has 9 teeth.
Old 01-06-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Gollum only has 9 teeth.
In the book he only had 6.

For those interested, here are both version of Riddles in the Dark from the book.
Old 01-07-14, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's why I thought they were would be a lot more word-play w/ Smaug.

I loved the Riddles in the Dark scene in the first film.
Old 03-29-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, still not impressed and I found this one, like the last, to be bloated and awfully hard to get through making clear once again this should have been two movies. The action was OK and there was a lot of work put into the costumes, sets and such but I found this to be pretty boring and by the end, was kind of numb to even care about anything or anybody. It's clear now this is not the series for me and I don't hold much hope the third movie will salvage it.

**/*****, (C, 4.8/10, 2/4)

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.