Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Old 09-11-22, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 345 Likes on 246 Posts
re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

The footage, which was exclusively shown at D23, included a big sequence during a New York ticker tape parade, a horseback chase in a subway tunnel, a train sequence, and Indy using his iconic whip to take on a dozen guns.

Link
Indiana Jones cleaning up NYC crime? Now that is definitely different.
Old 09-11-22, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts
re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
They dropped a trailer at D23 behind closed doors today, but not online.

I don't even think shitty phone recordings of it have shown up.
Disney doesn't play around with this stuff. At Star Wars Celebration they had dozens of people monitoring the crowds for cell phones when they showed any exclusive footage. It's like they appeared out of nowhere when the footage would start rolling.
Old 09-11-22, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
So these rumors based off those alleged leak set photos that came out over a year ago when they were still in production? Or someone is spending way too much time on reddit from fake "Lucasfilm Insiders"
Spoiler:
Yeah, I think that whole rumor is total BS--people who cite it tend to say that the time travel has been "confirmed" when it absolutely has not been--they're claiming that shot of some Roman soldiers confirmed it which it did not, there are plenty of explanations for that (movie shoot Indy stumbles upon, re-enactors), and the use of CGI on Harrison Ford's face could be for flashback scenes that have nothing to do with time travel. The plot bandied about would basically be Terminator Genisys, which flopped hard, so why would anyone try that again?

Old 09-11-22, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Spoiler:
Also, Phoebe-Waller Bridge has been confirmed to be playing Indy's goddaughter and likely also the daughter of Sallah. Why would they need to erase Indy's past to go forward with her as a character in future films? How does that make sense?

Old 09-11-22, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

I honestly haven't been following the news on the production of this very much, given how much Crystal Skull killed my favorite childhood franchise. I like Mangold, so there's a glimmer of hope...but goddamn, Harrison is so fucking old. I hate the idea of anyone else paying Indy, but I think I'm finally OK with it
Old 09-12-22, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
Spoiler:
Yeah, I think that whole rumor is total BS--people who cite it tend to say that the time travel has been "confirmed" when it absolutely has not been--they're claiming that shot of some Roman soldiers confirmed it which it did not, there are plenty of explanations for that (movie shoot Indy stumbles upon, re-enactors), and the use of CGI on Harrison Ford's face could be for flashback scenes that have nothing to do with time travel. The plot bandied about would basically be Terminator Genisys, which flopped hard, so why would anyone try that again?

Quite a few websites like giantfreakingrobot, digitalspy, screenrant, and independent.co.uk have reported it, so it's not just a bunch of guys on reddit and 4chan making the claim it's confirmed. I don't know whether they're just going off of the photos, or if they have inside sources they're getting information from, but I think the rumors were around before the photos leaked, so they could be taking those photos as confirmation of the rumors.

Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
Spoiler:
Also, Phoebe-Waller Bridge has been confirmed to be playing Indy's goddaughter and likely also the daughter of Sallah. Why would they need to erase Indy's past to go forward with her as a character in future films? How does that make sense?

She could be
Spoiler:
the daughter of Marcus Brody, too, or a character we haven't seen before. And, less likely, the daughter of Mac, Ox, or Stanforth. But if she is Sallah's daughter, then she might be one of the kids we saw in Raiders of the Lost Ark, which would give it an interesting connection to the first movie.
Old 09-12-22, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 190 Posts

Well, Harrison seemed pretty happy with the film. The last time I've seen him that happy about a movie was with The Force Awakens which was, honestly, pretty good. So, we'll see. If someone can find a video of him saying "Crystal Skull" was "fantastic," I'll gladly eat crow.
Old 09-30-22, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If no one's seen the leaked trailer yet, the film looks awesome. At least from a grainy, two-minute trailer standard.
Old 09-30-22, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Did it have a title, or they just going to call it Indiana Jones, as seems to be the current trend for a lot of sequels?
Old 09-30-22, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Did it have a title, or they just going to call it Indiana Jones, as seems to be the current trend for a lot of sequels?
No title at all...not even just "Indiana Jones." It just says "Only in Theaters" at the end. There's mid-trailer text that says "June 30." I'm assuming when and if Disney officially releases this (rumors are it will be on the Wakana Forever release) they'll add the title. Sometimes the trailers they release at these events never see the light of day (meaning we'll get a somewhat edited/changed teaser trailer when Disney does officially release it).

I've seen elsewhere a rumor that the official title has "Power" in it, but that's just a rumor. So "Indiana Jones and the Power of...something"

Spoilers from the trailer:

Spoiler:
Voice over from Sallah at the beginning saying:
"I miss the desert. I miss the sea. I miss waiting every morning for what wonderful adventure the day will bring to us."

Then a shot of Indy and Sallah together with Indy saying, "Those days have come and gone." And Sallah replies, "Perhaps....Perhaps not."

Then a voice over by Indy, saying:
"I don't believe in magic...but a few times in my life, I've seen things...things I can't explain. And I've come to believe it's not so much what you believe...it's how hard you believe it."

I won't spoil much more than that, but we do see Indy in a Rickshaw chase, Indy riding a horse around, and a final shot where Indy pulls his whip on a group of bad guys and they ALL respond (more than a dozen) by just unloading their weapons on him in a blaze of gunfire.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 09-30-22 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-30-22, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

You can see it here right now: Click Here You see the silhouette of the cell phone patrol, lol. Not sure how this person even got it, but that description is spot on.
Old 10-01-22, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,423 Posts

I’ll wait for a legit trailer release. I don’t want to see a bunch of shitty leaked video clips.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (10-01-22)
Old 10-01-22, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Even as a shitty camvid, that makes me look forward to this flick.
Old 10-01-22, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 715 Likes on 504 Posts

The Indiana Jones
Indiana Joneses
Indiana Jones 5: Nazi-lectric Boogaloo
Old 10-01-22, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Has anyone come up with a silly title based on Ford’s age yet?
Old 10-01-22, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably gonna call it Henry Jones, Jr.
Old 10-02-22, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

IJ5 - to be hip for the kidz
Old 10-02-22, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by philo View Post
IJ5 - to be hip for the kidz
Now you have worried they'll call it Jone5.
philo (10-02-22)
Old 10-02-22, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 279 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Has anyone come up with a silly title based on Ford’s age yet?
Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Broken Hip
Old 10-02-22, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts

If they do go with the current trend, it would be called Indy.
Old 10-02-22, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 504 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Broken Hip
The broken hip wouldn't be much of a secret though... he's old. Shortest film ever.
John Pannozzi (11-23-22)
Old 10-02-22, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 171 Posts

Indiana Jones and the Relics of Time
TGM (10-02-22)
Old 10-02-22, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Indiana Jones and the Relics of Time
I did read a rumored titles that was
Spoiler:
Indiana Jones and the Prisoners of Time.

Which actually sort of ties in with that set of rumors about the plot, so if those rumors pan out, it might an accurate title.

Old 10-02-22, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 715 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Indiana Jones and the is a Relics of Time
Indiana Jones and the ... uh ... the ... Why the Hell Did I Come Into This Tomb Again?

Marion? Marion! Have you seen my Ark Keys?

Yep ... Raiders of the Lost Ark Keys!
Old 11-11-22, 11:10 AM

Received 3,418 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Uh oh...

‘Indiana Jones 5' Test-Screenings Have Been Disastrous
https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/202...ptdwx7yq4ybrku
Spoiler:
Rumors are swirling about Disney’s recent test-screenings of James Mangold’s “Indiana Jones 5.” Supposedly, a handful of different endings have been tested and audiences haven’t liked any of them. Furthermore, the rumors indicate that Disney is in a panic over the screenings and that they’re worried the movie will bomb.

One of the endings, which was said to be the least popular one, had Phoebe-Waller Bridge replacing Harrison Ford at the end of the movie. Presumably, this would set up the franchise for further sequels with Ford not returning. Another unpopular conclusion had Ford’s Indiana Jones dying.

The last thing Disney needs is another Indiana Jones movie bombing with audiences, especially after the major shrug that greeted “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull”. I’m still holding out hope that this fifth installment will be a return to form, but, I won’t lie, I’m concerned.

Disney obviously wants to milk the Indiana Jones franchise, with even a rumored TV Series in the works, but you need a great movie for that to occur and, as it stands, the last worthy Indy move was released in the late ‘80s.

“Indiana Jones 5” started filming in the UK back in June of 2021. It was supposed to be released this year, but got delayed to the summer of 2023. Steven Spielberg will not be directing the fifth instalment. Instead, it’s director James Mangold (“Ford v Ferrari,” “Logan”) who will be taking over directing duties. Mangold is a solid studio filmmaker, but one wonders if the Indiana Jones series has any juice left in its reservoir.

Although not much is known about the plot, intel suggests that this fifth instalment of Indy will be a time travel movie. I’ve heard this rumour a few times already and it seems as though it is a legitimate one. This could bring an extra added layer of playfulness to the film.

Ford will be 81 by the time the film is released next summer, not to mention that the role is a physically demanding one — is it any wonder that there are doubts if this could actually be pulled off? Ford isn’t out-of-shape in the least bit, but, he is set to become the oldest action star at the movies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.