Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-21, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

I imagine that Paramount owns or has some rights to all the films prior to Disney’s purchase of Lucasfilm, but Disney owns anything new. If Disney owned the other films they’d be on Disney+ by now I would think.
Old 06-07-21, 05:44 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Mike86
I imagine that Paramount owns or has some rights to all the films prior to Disney’s purchase of Lucasfilm, but Disney owns anything new. If Disney owned the other films they’d be on Disney+ by now I would think.
The deal for new IJ movies (signed circa 2013) is that Paramount will have their logo at the start, and make money off of them, but not have any creative say over them.
Old 06-07-21, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

A bit off topic , but I truly don't get all of the hate for Temple of Doom. It entertained me as an 80s raised kid, and it still does today. I admire them for taking the series in a different direction. Yes, it's depictions of certain races is incorrect, but I can overlook such things.
Old 06-07-21, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I was more curious in the potential for future projects. Can they just make a Young Indiana Jones TV show? Can they make a Salah spin-off origin movie? Stuff like that. Was wondering if anyone outside of Disney can tell them "No".

I guess not.
Old 06-07-21, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
A bit off topic , but I truly don't get all of the hate for Temple of Doom. It entertained me as an 80s raised kid, and it still does today. I admire them for taking the series in a different direction. Yes, it's depictions of certain races is incorrect, but I can overlook such things.
It holds a nostalgic place for me since it’s part of the Indiana Jones trilogy I grew up with and loved but as a kid BUT I always felt it was too dark to actually be fun to watch. There’s a solid chunk of the movie that seems so dark and mean spirited it just isn’t any fun to watch. As an adult, the “white savior” angle can’t be dismissed. And yeah, the depiction of the Indian race is at best insensitive and at worst flat-out racist.

There is a lot to enjoy about it. I liked most of the humor. The booby trapped tunnels before they get to the human sacrifice sequence is great and fits squarely in line with other Indy action sequences. The bridge finale is a lot of fun and one of the more iconic scenes in the Indiana Jones movies. And Short-Round is that rare child character that isn’t annoying.
Old 06-07-21, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

I love Temple of Doom as much if not more so than The Last Crusade. I get why some don't--many are annoyed by Willie and Short Round, and it gets a little corny with the Kali cult stuff--but I feel like it's still a lot of fun and pays homage to the serials that inspired Lucas. It has many of my favorite--and some of the most iconic--scenes of the franchise: the opening in the Shanghai club, the dinner at the Palace, the heart-grabbing sacrifice, the mine cart chase, and the big finale on the bridge.

I rewatched Crystal Skull recently for the first time in several years, and my opinion hasn't changed--it was a huge missed opportunity. 'Mutt' is unlikeable from beginning to end, so thank god they didn't try to continue the franchise with Shia as the lead. I loved that they brought back Karen Allen as Marion, but by the time she shows up the movie pretty much shifts to almost non-stop action and so there wasn't much in the way of meaningful Indy/Marion interaction. And the scenes that aimed for the fun campiness of the previous movies mostly fell flat (the fridge scene, the quicksand scene). Just a real dud.

So as a big fan of the franchise, I'm very hopeful that the new movie will be good and that they learned some things from the mistakes of the last outing. But given how bad that last outing was, my expectations are not high.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cellar Door:
Dr. DVD (06-07-21), tanman (06-11-21)
Old 06-07-21, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Two words: Kate Capshaw. She was absolutely horrendous in this movie. Had she not been Spielberg's wife, I highly doubt she would've gotten the role. Surely the editors and other members of the film crew had to have seen and noticed just how absolutely atrocious her acting was (and I don't blame the script in this instance, I blame her acting skills, or lack thereof). The movie was dark, for sure, and had some great set pieces, but every time I watch it her constant screaming and histrionics and shit just drives me off the walls. Almost any other decent actress at the time would've been better than her. She was just bad, and in my mind ruined the movie. Still not nearly as bad as something like KOTCS, but still not very good.
Old 06-07-21, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Two words: Kate Capshaw. She was absolutely horrendous in this movie. Had she not been Spielberg's wife, I highly doubt she would've gotten the role.
Spielberg first met Capshaw when she auditioned for Temple of Doom, and they started dating some time after it was filmed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cellar Door:
Dr. DVD (06-07-21), Goonies85 (06-07-21)
Old 06-07-21, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two words: Kate Capshaw. She was absolutely horrendous in this movie. Had she not been Spielberg's wife, I highly doubt she would've gotten the role. Surely the editors and other members of the film crew had to have seen and noticed just how absolutely atrocious her acting was (and I don't blame the script in this instance, I blame her acting skills, or lack thereof). The movie was dark, for sure, and had some great set pieces, but every time I watch it her constant screaming and histrionics and shit just drives me off the walls. Almost any other decent actress at the time would've been better than her. She was just bad, and in my mind ruined the movie. Still not nearly as bad as something like KOTCS, but still not very good.
I will agree with the comment about Capshaw. Short Round's "fortune cookie" comment is also cringeworthy in hindsight. However, I recently re-watched it and discovered something: Short Round is the true "hero" of TOD. He's the one who has the whole character arc associated with the traditional hero's journey. While Indy is the one who delivers the stone in the end, it's made possible because of Short Round's actions. I won't dispute the white savior claims, but he definitely doesn't do it on his own.
Old 06-07-21, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I was more curious in the potential for future projects. Can they just make a Young Indiana Jones TV show?
Already tried that; it got cancelled after two seasons.

Old 06-07-21, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Capshaw’s delivery of “We’re not sinking, we’re crashing!” has to be one of the worst line deliveries of all time. Right next to Ryan O’Neil’s “Oh God, oh man!” line.

I assume Spielberg and Capshaw were going for some sort of campy delivery from the serials of the 30s and 40s with her performance but I’m not entirely sure since literally no one else in the movie seemed to be going for the same delivery.
Old 06-07-21, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think at one point there was even an idea to do a story about the younger days of Marion Ravenwood.
Old 06-07-21, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Hmm... I don't have strong opinions about Temple Of Doom, because I haven't seen it since probably in the 1990s, even though it was one of those movies I saw new in the theatre as a kid.

I think the reason I'm always skipping it when I'm in the mood for Indiana Jones and put on either Ark or Crusade, is that I remember most of the movie taking place in a single location. Sure it was spiced up by having the secret chambers in the walls and the huge child slave dungeon down below and the mine carts... But I think a big thing I like about the Indy movies is the searching across all these different locations, from elegant palaces to underground caverns, across different countries and cultures. I view Doom as being too small scale. I'm sure I'll watch it again to see how it jibes with what I remember.
Old 06-08-21, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I can consider the originals trilogy as the beginning and end of Indy. I don’t have much of a problem considering any other Indy adventures as one-offs that don’t ruin my enjoyment of the originals (and if I’m being honest, only two of the three were any good).

As disappointed as I was in KotCS, which wasn’t so much the story (which admittedly wasn’t great) but was more around the lazy directing and cheap feel of the entire movie, I am a little excited for another Indy movie mostly because I love the character and any new Indy is better than no Indy.

I know Harrison Ford wants the character to die with him but the story potential of an archeologist adventurer is too good not to keep the series going whether it’s “Indiana Jones” or someone else.

I’m actually kind of surprised more of these types of movies aren’t made. Outside the Tomb Raider movies and the never-ending production of Uncharted, there really haven’t been any all out adventure movies made in the last 20 or 30 years.
​​​​​​The Mummy flicks helped fill out the genre.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (06-08-21)
Old 06-08-21, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I love Temple Of Doom. Yeah it’s not perfect, but it’s probably my favorite.
For years I had no idea there was so much hate for it. I mean Capshaw is annoying as hell, but it’s nowhere near enough to sink the movie in my opinion.
It definitely doesn’t fit in the middle to me, that’s why I always watch it first. Chronology that’s the way it is anyway.
Old 06-08-21, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
​​​​​​The Mummy flicks helped fill out the genre.
That’s true. I forgot about those. I was also thinking the Jurassic Park/World movies were similar as well but I thought I might be veering too far away from globetrotting Indy style adventures.
Old 06-08-21, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I was 8 years old and mesmerized by Kate Capshaw when Temple came out. I will probably get hate for this, but I thought she was much prettier than Marion (and kind of still do). I didn't notice she was a bad actress until much much later.

I still have a soft spot for Temple of Doom.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 06-08-21 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-08-21, 09:05 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Old 06-08-21, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

C'mon admit it, didn't that get you little excited and make you smile? I did, the guy's almost 79, he looks great! The only unfortunate thing is this behind the scenes photo being our first look - they should've done a nice promotional shot for the 'now shooting' announcement.
Old 06-08-21, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I just wish Spielberg would have left things alone and let the franchise die with The Last Crusade. I love that ending personally. Indy and his father and friends riding into the sunset on horseback with the theme playing. Just perfect really.

That is where it ended for me...
Old 06-08-21, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Sadly, I have little interest in this movie. The last one was so bad, felt like it was shot entirely on a green screen. I love Harrison Ford... dude looks amazing for his age but there isn't a 79 year old on the planet that could pull off 'Indy' type things that we saw 30 years ago.
Old 06-08-21, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Counter points - this is a new director and film crew - new energy, new set of eyes on this project. And they aren't going to have Indy doing things he did 30yrs ago (other than what looks to be a flashback) that's the point of interest in the film, an older person at the end of the road, one last quest to go out on, etc.
Old 06-08-21, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Counter points - this is a new director and film crew - new energy, new set of eyes on this project. And they aren't going to have Indy doing things he did 30yrs ago (other than what looks to be a flashback) that's the point of interest in the film, an older person at the end of the road, one last quest to go out on, etc.
They just needed to get George Lucas out of the picture. Spielberg was never to blame, he was doing it for his friend.

Now they have someone that's coming in that has done Logan, 3:10 to Yuma and Ford vs Ferrari. If that don't make your ePeen hard?
Old 06-08-21, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I really like Mangold as a director and he’s made some great films, but I’d rather see Spielberg complete the series (at least while Ford is still involved).
Old 06-08-21, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really like Mangold as a director and he’s made some great films, but I’d rather see Spielberg complete the series (at least while Ford is still involved).
Before KotCS I would have agreed with you. Sadly, I think Spielberg really phoned it in last time. I love Spielberg but some fresh blood could really help this movie.

But, like I said earlier, I’m able to keep this movie separate from the original Indiana Jones Trilogy so not having Spielberg complete the series doesn’t really bother me like it once would have.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (06-10-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.