Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-21, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts
re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Didn't they come Lucasfilm come out and say that they wouldn't make any more Indiana Jones movies without Harrison Ford?
I don’t know. Possibly. Though whenever money is on the table I wouldn’t trust any definitive statements like that to last long.

I think it would be fun to see Indy turned into a series similar to The Mandalorian. Each 8 episode season could be one of Indy’s adventures. The cliffhanger at the end of the season could tease Indy’s next adventure. It may be blasphemy but I’d be ok with them going with a different actor to play Indiana Jones outside of his cinematic universe.
Old 05-14-21, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Come on, this HAS to be the longest running April Fool's joke EVER.

An 80 year old Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones. REALLY???

What am I missing? This IS a joke, right??
Old 05-14-21, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

I mean he was fine as a 75 year old Han Solo in a role he actively loathed, right?
I think he actually likes playing Indy.
Old 05-14-21, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Right. Didn’t all these movies sort of play to his age anyway? I think it’ll be fine. I’m more concerned about what happens after Ford is gone.
Old 05-15-21, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Come on, this HAS to be the longest running April Fool's joke EVER.

An 80 year old Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones. REALLY???

What am I missing? This IS a joke, right??
As long as he's playing an 80 year old Indiana Jones, then it's realistic and believable. Everyone ages.
Now if he's running around and dodging bullets, etc. - then it would be ridiculous.

But let's be honest - even a 30 year old Harrison Ford ran like an 80 year old.
Old 05-16-21, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
As long as he's playing an 80 year old Indiana Jones, then it's realistic and believable. Everyone ages.
Now if he's running around and dodging bullets, etc. - then it would be ridiculous.

But let's be honest - even a 30 year old Harrison Ford ran like an 80 year old.
Indiana Jones is an action movie character. The main character who carries the action.

I'm sorry, my dad is the same age as Harrison Ford. I'm not buying the idea of an 80 year old main character in an action/adventure movie. It's absurd.

Hell - I'm 53 and I couldn't do it. (Shit, that's only 27 years from 80. Damn...)
Old 05-16-21, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I was speculating to my friends they could always go the Captain Marvel route with SLJ. Just us the de-aging tech on Ford so he’s back in his 40s!

Otherwise, while I understand the film doesn’t have to follow Ford’s age, I feel like it’s going to need to move beyond a few years. That would see the film taking place in the 60s and I feel like you start to lose the era setting that is quintessential Indy.
Old 05-16-21, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I truly wish they would just let this one go.
Old 05-16-21, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I truly wish they would just let this one go.
You always have the option to never watch it. It's not like Crystal Skull was such a masterpiece that it's legacy might be threatened with a new entry in the series. Also, it's unlikely that this movie shoot will keep Ford and Mangold from working on more important cinematic works of art.
I might have been a little bit disappointed if Spielberg were spending one of his final(?) years as a director on this trifle, but if it's Mangold, I don't really care as much.
Old 05-16-21, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
You always have the option to never watch it (snip).
Thanks for that pearl. Why didn’t I think of that?

Old 05-16-21, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

My hopes for Indy 5: be better than KOTCS. Do a nice job wrapping up the series. That’s it.
Old 05-16-21, 04:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe this is a prequel to the flash-forwards in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and we'll finally find out how Indy lost that eye!
Old 05-16-21, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Maybe this is a prequel to the flash-forwards in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and we'll finally find out how Indy lost that eye!
Is TYIJC still canon? I seem to recall that old Indy in that was supposed to have a daughter, and not a son. (Another reason they should have gone with Natalie Portman in KOTC instead of Shia LaBeouf.)
Old 05-16-21, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Otherwise, while I understand the film doesn’t have to follow Ford’s age, I feel like it’s going to need to move beyond a few years. That would see the film taking place in the 60s and I feel like you start to lose the era setting that is quintessential Indy.
I think the early 70's could still work, keeping Indy's age in his early 70's. (the character was born in 1899)

I'd imagine Indy would be joined up with (forced?) a team that wants him for his knowledge about whatever it is they're after. Hopefully we get some good location filming (this was a big drawback in Crystal Skull imo), but then you also have to factor in Ford's age even for something like that. Just a cool mythical quest of some kind is all I'm asking for here. (I'd love if they went back to the Fate of Atlantis storyline) Wasn't there an idea about a lost Nazi train of treasure? That'd be cool too. (bonus points for brining in the Nazis!)
Old 05-16-21, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
I think the early 70's could still work, keeping Indy's age in his early 70's. (the character was born in 1899)

I'd imagine Indy would be joined up with (forced?) a team that wants him for his knowledge about whatever it is they're after. Hopefully we get some good location filming (this was a big drawback in Crystal Skull imo), but then you also have to factor in Ford's age even for something like that. Just a cool mythical quest of some kind is all I'm asking for here. (I'd love if they went back to the Fate of Atlantis storyline) Wasn't there an idea about a lost Nazi train of treasure? That'd be cool too. (bonus points for brining in the Nazis!)
I had not heard about that lost Nazi train storyline until now and just Googled. I like this idea a lot. Also, it's not that I don't want another "Indy" movie. But when I saw Ford on the Oscars last month, my heart sunk. I just don't know how he's up for the task. They better do this now though and stop f'n around. And FWIW, I liked "The Crystal Skull". It wasn't as great as the first of course. But no where as bad as "Temple of Doom" IMO. I don't even mind that Spielberg isn't directing. Mangold is a fine Director.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/...runaway-train/

Old 06-07-21, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Last edited by dex14; 06-07-21 at 10:53 AM. Reason: fixed tweet
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (06-09-21)
Old 06-07-21, 09:34 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

So we are definitely getting a de-aged Ford for part of it then. Maybe an adventure from the past impacting the present.
Old 06-07-21, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

De-aging Ford for part of the film makes sense, and may be one of the best things they can do. Give us at least one solid action sequence of Indy in his prime. I suppose doing that and then having it lead into the plot of whatever the present day setting will be could work well.
Old 06-07-21, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Neither I nor any of my friends my age are anticipating this one. Only difference between this and Crystal Skull is I was skeptical of it from the get go after seeing what GL did with PT (which isn't that bad now compared to what the mouse house did). Yet despite Last Crusade having the perfect send off everyone seemed to clamor for a new one. If this gets decent reviews that are trustworthy, I'll give it a chance.
Old 06-07-21, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can consider the originals trilogy as the beginning and end of Indy. I don’t have much of a problem considering any other Indy adventures as one-offs that don’t ruin my enjoyment of the originals (and if I’m being honest, only two of the three were any good).

As disappointed as I was in KotCS, which wasn’t so much the story (which admittedly wasn’t great) but was more around the lazy directing and cheap feel of the entire movie, I am a little excited for another Indy movie mostly because I love the character and any new Indy is better than no Indy.

I know Harrison Ford wants the character to die with him but the story potential of an archeologist adventurer is too good not to keep the series going whether it’s “Indiana Jones” or someone else.

I’m actually kind of surprised more of these types of movies aren’t made. Outside the Tomb Raider movies and the never-ending production of Uncharted, there really haven’t been any all out adventure movies made in the last 20 or 30 years.
Old 06-07-21, 05:00 PM

I’m more surprised there hasn’t been an animated Disney+ show ala The Clone Wars.
Old 06-07-21, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I just wish Spielberg would have left things alone and let the franchise die with The Last Crusade. I love that ending personally. Indy and his father and friends riding into the sunset on horseback with the theme playing. Just perfect really.

Since that wasn’t the ending and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull wasn’t great I want a better ending, but I can’t help feeling it’s too late. Plus Disney won’t be able to let it rest even after the fact. It’s kind of whatever at this point. I’ll see it but I’m not that excited about it.
Old 06-07-21, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
I’m more surprised there hasn’t been an animated Disney+ show ala The Clone Wars.
I said it earlier in this thread but I think a live-action D+ series would be a good fit for Indy. Each 8 episode season could be self contained adventures. Similar to what we’ve seen with The Mandalorian or the Marvel shows.
Old 06-07-21, 05:34 PM

Does Disney own all the rights to Indy (like they do with Star Wars) so they can make whatever they want, or does Spielberg and Paramount have a say in what does or doesn't get made?
Old 06-07-21, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Does Disney own all the rights to Indy (like they do with Star Wars) so they can make whatever they want, or does Spielberg and Paramount have a say in what does or doesn't get made?
Indiana Jones is owned by Lucasfilm, therefore Disney. Paramount is just a distributor... which they still seem to have home media rights on. Disney made a deal with Paramount for future Indiana Jones distribution. Paramount has the rights to the first four movies.
The following users liked this post:
Decker (06-07-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.