Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 06:30 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Here’s my idea for Indy 5. I’ve had this for several years. Do a Google image search for Israel six Days War. That fighting, which took place in 1967, was fought largely with WWII surplus equipment, in a desert setting, in a place that also contains thousands of years of historic buildings and artifacts. I think it would be a fabulous place to set an old-man Indiana Jones story.

The problem is is it’s just too god damn contentious. Otherwise I think it would make a great setting.

So you’ve got 67 year old Indy. He’s approached to join a group that’s an international coalition of scientists that are going to Israel to study ancient artifacts. He’s invited because of rumors of his past; about once encountering the Ark. He joins them, and they travel to Jerusalem, but Indy doesn’t know that this big war between Israel and its neighbors is just hours away. When the attack comes we realize that the whole science expedition was really a black op by the IDF to get the best minds (and muscle) on the ground in the Holy City before the attack so that they can secure historic sites. Kind of like The Monuments Men. Then it would turn out certain members of the team are moles. Ultimately Indy has to save the day all by himself.

It would have a real raw sense of place. Not a tourism bureau view of the city. Like Battle of Algiers. And I want Indiana Jones on horseback facing off against a surface to surface missile launching tank. I have that strong image in my mind.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-29-19 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Here’s my idea for Indy 5. I’ve had this for several years. Do a Google image search for Israel six Days War. That fighting, which took place in 1967, was fought largely with WWII surplus equipment, in a desert setting, in a place that also contains thousands of years of historic buildings and artifacts. I think it would be a fabulous place to set an old-man Indiana Jones story.

The problem is is it’s just too god damn contentious. Otherwise I think it would make a great setting.

So you’ve got 67 year old Indy. He’s approached to join a group that’s an international coalition of scientists that are going to Israel to study ancient artifacts. He’s invited because of rumors of his past; about once encountering the Ark. He joins them, and they travel to Jerusalem, but Indy doesn’t know that this big war between Israel and its neighbors is just hours away. When the attack comes we realize that the whole science expedition was really a black op by the IDF to get the best minds (and muscle) on the ground in the Holy City before the attack so that they can secure historic sites. Kind of like The Monuments Men. Then it would turn out certain members of the team are moles. Ultimately Indy has to save the day all by himself.

It would have a real raw sense of place. Not a tourism bureau view of the city. Like Battle of Algiers. And I want Indian Jones on horseback facing off against a surface to surface missile launching tank. I have that strong image in my mind.
I like where you're going with it, but I agree with you that it's too contentious.
Old 05-29-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Mabuse, I like it!
Old 05-29-19, 10:50 AM
Banned

My thinking is, if you are going to use Harrison Ford then it’s going to be an old Indy. And if it’s going to be an old Indy then where in the world still looked like 1938 in the 1960’s. Old tanks, old jeeps, etc. Truthfully they used fighter jets and stuff in that war, but on the ground it looked very antiquated.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-29-19 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-29-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

It would have a real raw sense of place. Not a tourism bureau view of the city. Like Battle of Algiers. And I want Indian Jones on horseback facing off against a surface to surface missile launching tank. I have that strong image in my mind.
Awesome! This belongs on one of this lists of "The Best Movies Never Made".
Old 05-29-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Agreed, that would be a cool Indy movie. If you have any talent at writing fiction, you should consider either doing that as fan fiction, or even better write it as it’s own story and say the main character was inspired by Indy.
Old 05-29-19, 02:07 PM
Banned

Wow, I’m glad you guys like it. I even had the McGuffin, but now I can’t remember what it is. There are these two real stones (not the Ten Commandments) they have some kind of Old Testament importance. Indy was going to be going after a fictional third one. I can’t remember what they are called.

I remember now. An engraved stone is called a “stele”. There’s the Mesha Stele. Google it. And I think there’s a second one. They are the oldest known surviving objects with the word chiseled on it that the Hebrews used for God. The word they weren’t even allowed to speak. YHWY or Ya-way. These Steles are often incomplete, like the Grail Knight’s shield in Last Crusade. Indy was going to find a lost stone or a lost portion of a stone.

The power of YHWY would figure into the finale. In the Six Days War Israel won back (briefly) the Temple Mount. There’s an image of Israeli paratroopers on the Mount that inspired this whole thing. All this real history would be taking place in the background to the main story that is following Indy. But anyway, the Power of YHWY would be unleashed similar to Raiders and it would destroy the bad-guy moles and coincidentally turn the tide of a battle and leave Israel victorious and in possession of the Temple Mount.

Here’s the famous picture.

Can’t seem to post right now.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-29-19 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 03:06 PM
Banned

Old 05-29-19, 03:07 PM
Banned

That’s the Western Wall or the Wailing Wall. A very iconic image.

Saddly the whole thing would be misread as Zionist propaganda or some bullshit. I’m not Jewish and I just like modern and ancient history and Indiana Jones.
Old 05-29-19, 03:50 PM
Banned

The whole overriding concept would be “returning”.

Indy returning from retirement for his most important adventure.

The pieces of the Stele would be returned together, similar to the Shankara stones.

The voice of YHWY would return once more.

Ultimately the Jews would return to the Temple Mount for the first time in 1,900 years.

But it wouldn’t be some triumphant moment. Just some smiles and relief. I love that picture. It’s like the end of The Graduate. They seem happy, but also uncertain. Like, “What will we do now?”

Old 05-29-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you are on to something with setting it in areas that still feel old--last thing we want is Indy mingling with a bunch of hippies or something and cursing about the longhairs. So some other possible settings along that lines would be Cuba and East Germany, with the Berlin Wall involved somehow. Alaska could be another fun setting--I loved Indy in the snow in Nepal during Raiders. Perhaps the Japanese left something behind on Alaska during their brief occupation of the Aleutian Islands. And I think they were on to something with the Nazi gold train, so there's possibilities there.

Maybe open the film with a flashback that only shows Indy/Ford in the shadows to hide his age (so no CGI--my God, I still have nightmares of the prairie dogs in Crystal) discovering the infamous gold train, only to find out that it's filled with junk (guns, etc.) and the "priceless art" that started the rumors were lousy paintings by Hitler himself (he was supposedly an artist). Heck, the "gold" could be brass for bullets or something. Indy can say it's not the first time a legend was built out of nothing and with that, Indy basically calls it a career, then when we move to the "present," someone or something picks up a lead that the Japanese were up to something on the Aleutian Islands and off we go for one last adventure, from say Alaska to Hawaii to Tokyo to East Berlin.

I dunno. That's 5 minutes worth of thinking about it. Spielberg, call Mabuse and I and we'll hash it out.
Old 05-29-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Agreed, that would be a cool Indy movie. If you have any talent at writing fiction, you should consider either doing that as fan fiction, or even better write it as it’s own story and say the main character was inspired by Indy.
I agree with this Mabuse, especially the idea of doing your own story with a pseudo-Indy character.
Old 05-29-19, 04:47 PM
Banned

I like the Alaska idea. Carl Bark’s Scrooge McDuck comics were very influential on the Indy concept. And Scrooge went to the Klondike many times.

But to me, I want religious artifacts and ancient buildings. That’s Indy to me.
Old 05-29-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

I'm down for Mabuse's story idea. Greenlight it!
Old 05-29-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie
I agree with this Mabuse, especially the idea of doing your own story with a pseudo-Indy character.
Any lawyers here? No?

The book in my avatar was my attempt at creating a Castlevania story without actually writing a Castlevania story. It's definitely it's own thing, but the influence is certainly there. So yes, Mabuse, you can definitely turn your idea into a novel influenced by Indiana Jones.
Old 05-29-19, 05:29 PM
Banned

It would have to be set in the world of Indiana Jones. It can’t take place in 1967 and be about a guy who was inspired by a 1981 film. It would have to be a story that supposed Indiana Jones was a real guy who did all that cool shit in 1938 and this young guy is inspired. I don’t know.
Old 05-29-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Any lawyers here? No?

The book in my avatar was my attempt at creating a Castlevania story without actually writing a Castlevania story. It's definitely it's own thing, but the influence is certainly there. So yes, Mabuse, you can definitely turn your idea into a novel influenced by Indiana Jones.
I'm checking this out on Amazon. I love that the cover looks like an old book from the late 1800s/early 1900s. The map is a nice touch too. Hyborian-vibes.
Old 05-29-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Love the idea in theory, but you're right. Can't really do Israel. Too controversial now, especially for a mega-budget family film with an International audience. I do like the time frame though.

What about one set in Southeast Asia? There are all sorts of cool ancient temples in Cambodia, right?
What if Indy is there exploring and is set upon by secret bombing campaigns? He takes it upon himself not only to protect the relics, but also the civilians. Temple of Doom meets The Killing Fields. Isn't that the final inevitable showdown for Dr Jones? Realizing how evil his side is? Facing off against his own government?

Besides, after Nazis and Russian spies, who are the greatest real-life villains of the 20th Century (besides maybe yuppies)? The Nixon White House! I know I'd line up to see H.R. Haldeman, John Erlichman and Spiro Agnew having their faces melted off.
Old 05-29-19, 05:56 PM
Banned

A couple years ago I did a lot of research about this but I never wrote anything down. So i’m glad I’m doing so now. I’m revisiting my research and remembering more.

The Mesha Stele in The Louvre and another stele were going to lead Indy to find the Tel Dan Stele. The Tel Dan Stele was discovered in Israel, shattered into 3 pieces, in the early 1990’s. It contains the oldest known depiction of the word David, as in House of David. The idea would be that in 1967 Indy finds this intact stele and uses it to (I don’t know...something) and it’s shatered and lost for 30 years. And that part would be true. It would give fictional explanation for why the real artifact is damaged. Just another treasure that Indiana Jones let slip through his fingers.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-30-19 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 06:21 PM
Banned

And yes, I want Indy on a horse taking on something like this

I don’t even know if they used vehicles like that during the war, but I have this strong desire to see the old man on a horse take on an absurd GI Joe-like missile launching tank. It would be the equivalent to the ”flying wing” fight scene.
Old 05-30-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm down for Mabuse's story idea. Greenlight it!
Same here. I think it is great.
Old 05-31-19, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Yeah I dig the idea too. I feel like whoever ends up writing it is gonna spend all their time trying to write an Indiana Jones movie, rather than a movie that can stand on its own legs. Kind of like the last one.
Old 08-26-19, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Just to confirm - there was ZERO mention of Indy 5 at D23, correct? Seems like something Disney would want to mention if filming is indeed starting next year?
Old 08-26-19, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Love the idea in theory, but you're right. Can't really do Israel. Too controversial now, especially for a mega-budget family film with an International audience. I do like the time frame though.

What about one set in Southeast Asia? There are all sorts of cool ancient temples in Cambodia, right?
What if Indy is there exploring and is set upon by secret bombing campaigns? He takes it upon himself not only to protect the relics, but also the civilians. Temple of Doom meets The Killing Fields. Isn't that the final inevitable showdown for Dr Jones? Realizing how evil his side is? Facing off against his own government?

Besides, after Nazis and Russian spies, who are the greatest real-life villains of the 20th Century (besides maybe yuppies)? The Nixon White House! I know I'd line up to see H.R. Haldeman, John Erlichman and Spiro Agnew having their faces melted off.
You run into the white saviour trope then, which would go over like a lead balloon.
Old 08-26-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Indiana Jones stops the Manson Family? Oh , wait ...

To Defiant’s point though ... Indiana Jones IS the white savior trope. No matter how you slice it, about the only thing he can do that doesn’t fall back on that is Nazis and Russians. *yawn*

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.