Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Old 02-27-20, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

I assume family drama as well.

Mangold wouldn't be a distraction, I've found that even his worst movies are still entertaining and his best are very good. Though I may be odd man out in the fact that I still really like Identity.
Old 02-27-20, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts
re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Wow I just realized I’ve seen every one of his films except Heavy.
Its kind of a bummer Spielberg isn’t doing this, but after Crystal Skull maybe it’s for the best.

Oh yeah I also like Identity.
Old 02-27-20, 07:11 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I assume family drama as well.

Mangold wouldn't be a distraction, I've found that even his worst movies are still entertaining and his best are very good. Though I may be odd man out in the fact that I still really like Identity.
I'm a big Cusack fan... so I loved Identity. I haven't watched it in years though and have been meaning to revisit it.
Old 02-28-20, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

New recast vote: Justin Theroux.
Old 04-03-20, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Pushed back over a year. Ford will be 80 when the movie is released.

Lucasfilm’s Indiana Jones 5, which is still locking down a deal with new director James Mangold, goes from July 9, 2021 to July 29, 2022.
https://deadline.com/2020/04/black-w...us-1202900118/
Old 04-03-20, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

At what point do we finally admit how bad of an idea this really is and then push forward with a recast Indy?
Old 04-03-20, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
At what point do we finally admit how bad of an idea this really is and then push forward with a recast Indy?

even worse idea.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (04-03-20)
Old 04-03-20, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 543 Likes on 338 Posts

They will have to "Weekend At Bernie's" Ford by the time this thing starts filming.
Old 04-03-20, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Alden Ehrenreich?

Old 04-03-20, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm going to say this again. This film is never going to happen.
Old 04-03-20, 10:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Harrison Ford said it best, “Another Indiana Jones? I’M Indiana Jones!” There isn’t another one!”

No recasting. Do one more or someone come out with another franchise. No son of Indiana or any other nonsense like that.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (04-04-20)
Old 04-04-20, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Ford has always looked about 10 years younger than his actual age. He looks spry for his age even now. If they can make a good film, that doesn't leave KOTCS as the last word on the series, thats all I really want. Just some decent closure on the character.

Other than that I would never watch a recasted remake and I don't know why people even suggest it. Why can't there just be no more Indiana Jones movies? Why does everything need to be churned out until it becomes unprofitable and everyone hates it? Let Ford ride out into the sunset in whats hopefully better than what part 4 was and let that be it. The more all these series get prostituted and bled dry, the more respect I gain for Robert Zemeckis.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hazel Motes:
JeremyM (04-04-20), majorjoe23 (04-04-20)
Old 04-04-20, 09:36 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I don't want a recast... I do want a son of Indy movie, but not Mutt and Shia Lebuff.

Give Ford a role like Sean Connery had in Indy 3. Pass the torch to Indy's son from Willie Scott played by someone with more on screen charisma. Again, I'll throw out Jensen Ackles.

Old 04-04-20, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Harrison Ford said it best, “Another Indiana Jones? I’M Indiana Jones!” There isn’t another one!”

No recasting. Do one more or someone come out with another franchise. No son of Indiana or any other nonsense like that.
An Uncharted movie could easily fill the Indy movie gap and we’re seeing how well that’s turned out.

Apparently a movie about a young adventurer running through the jungle is harder to make than you’d expect.

I agree though about no more Indy. Just make another wise cracking treasure hunter movie.
Old 04-04-20, 12:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Chris Pratt has been rumored, hasn't he? I think he would be a fun, rugged choice. he already plays Han in Marvel movies...
Old 04-04-20, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Chris Pratt has been rumored for every male lead role since 2014.

We got his take on Indy in Jurassic World. I’d rather see someone else.
Old 04-04-20, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Chris Pratt is fucking obnoxious. He's already stunk up the MCU and Jurassic World. Don't need him doing the same with Indy, too.
Old 04-04-20, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Disney's not going to pay all this money for LucasFilm not to exploit the shit out of Indiana Jones. It'll be interesting to see how they make a new film series. I still think it's too difficult to accurately recapture what made the original so great in modern times. The fun of Indiana Jones was seeing these foreign, exotic locales which was still a new thing to a less diverse movie audience in the pre-internet age. Now, it's kind of offensive to portray other cultures as "exotic" and mysterious.

The Mummy was a poor attempt to mimic the formula. A female Indiana Jones video game was cool, but the movie Tomb Raider wasn't very good from what I remember. National Treasure just looked cheesy.

I just saw Romancing the Stone and that definitely seems like an attempt to cash in on Raiders of the Lost Ark and yet I like it way more than Temple of Doom, Crystal Skull or any of those other movies I mentioned.
Old 04-04-20, 06:44 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Without Romancing The Stone, we probably never would have gotten Back to the Future, but outside of that it’s just a really entertaining film. I think the whole romance novelist angle worked in the film’s favor, and the chemistry between Douglas and Turner is pretty undeniable.
Old 04-04-20, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
Disney's not going to pay all this money for LucasFilm not to exploit the shit out of Indiana Jones. It'll be interesting to see how they make a new film series.
Which is just another thing Disney has fucked up since acquiring Lucasfilm. They’ve have the rights to Indy for almost 7 years and they haven’t done shit with it. If they were so eager to cash in on Indy they should have made another movie with Harrison Ford 6 years ago.

Holding on to it for 10 years and then being surprised that Ford is pushing 80 when they finally get around to filming is just asking for issues with the franchise.
Old 04-04-20, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I’ve always wondered if Crystal Skull had been a better movie with a more convincing successor, if we’d currently have another couple of legacy movies already released.
Old 04-04-20, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Which is just another thing Disney has fucked up since acquiring Lucasfilm. They’ve have the rights to Indy for almost 7 years and they haven’t done shit with it. If they were so eager to cash in on Indy they should have made another movie with Harrison Ford 6 years ago.
Maybe they didn't want to rush it out and have another Crystal Skull on their hands, quality-wise. Apparently it's hard to come up with a cinematic Indiana Jones story. Lucas couldn't come up with anything after Last Crusade and the only other ideas they had was Indiana Jones in a haunted house, Indiana Jones meets African pygmies, and Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men of Mars.

I really, really dislike the idea that every Indiana Jones movie has to involve the supernatural. As much as I like Temple of Doom it contradicts Raiders because that was supposed to be his first time Indy ever encountered something supernatural. Remember, he was chastising Brody for believing in magic and hocus pocus superstitions? I would have rather the second film to have focused more on his dealings with Lao Che, and be more about relocating a rare artifact and dealing with how organized crime tied into it. It would even be reflective of that era because the pulps were often set in "the Orient." Sure it would be problematic, but it wouldn't have been any worse than the depiction of Indian culture and the good guy Brits saving the day. It was pretty brilliant though to give us two adventures in one film.

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I’ve always wondered if Crystal Skull had been a better movie with a more convincing successor, if we’d currently have another couple of legacy movies already released.
Has that ever worked before? Disney did it with Star Wars, but it was still anchored by the OG cast. And I think Rey's story is finished, so we got spin-offs for now on Disney+ and probably a whole new trilogy in approx 5 years. I can't think of any other successful legacy movies.
Old 04-05-20, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
I really, really dislike the idea that every Indiana Jones movie has to involve the supernatural. As much as I like Temple of Doom it contradicts Raiders because that was supposed to be his first time Indy ever encountered something supernatural. Remember, he was chastising Brody for believing in magic and hocus pocus superstitions?
X-Files did the same for years with Dana Scully, who spent years on that series in the role of skeptic despite all of the freaky shit she saw.

Indy spent a good portion of Temple of Doom in a drug-induced haze. It would be easy for him to write off any of the weird shit he saw, like the glowing rocks and a guy getting his heart ripped out of chest, as just being part of a hallucination.

Now, personally, if I witnessed that guy getting his heart pulled out of his chest -- and still being alive -- the way Indy did, I would assume it was all some kind magic trick that Mola Ram was playing on his cult.

Old 04-05-20, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
even worse idea.
At some point Indy will need to be recast. Indiana Jones is an intellectual property that could generate revenue for its' owners. Even though nobody could ever really replace the original in the role, I don't see the benefit, business wise, of just permanetely shelving the property without even trying to rebrand the product. It may have some financial risk, but the potential rewards would greatly outweigh the financial risks for a company that has the assets to do the venture. Nobody can truly replace Shatner as Captain Kirk, but they replaced him for the past three movies and were rewarded financially for taking the risk.
Old 04-05-20, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Indy could just pass the torch to one of his students. They just put in an off hand comment that Mutt owns his own bike/car shop now since that was his passion and what Indy told him not to give up on.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.