Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Apocalypse (D: Singer; May 27th, 2016)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Apocalypse (D: Singer; May 27th, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: X-Men: Apocalypse (D: Singer; May 27th, 2016)

Originally Posted by fumanstan
And I acknowledged your opinion in my post with the very first sentence. The point is that he hardly "got lucky" with Days of Future Past given the user and critic response to his other movies in the universe. Maybe he got lucky in appeasing your taste with that one movie, but that's an aberration more then anything.

For what it's worth, I still think First Class is mediocre (and below DoFP and X2). And The Usual Suspects is my favorite movie
But its my opinion that he got lucky because I don't view his other X-Men films (or his films in general) as great. It seems like at the time Days of Future Past came out people were singing his praises about him saving the franchise when to me while it was a good film he was hardly responsible for the films being great to begin with. To me he made some passable films at a time when superhero films weren't as big as they are but the first two Singer X-Men films have been far surpassed since they originally came out in my opinion. Again I'm not saying that my opinion is right or wrong or that anyone else has to agree but those are my thoughts on the matter.
Old 05-27-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, it's hilarious when I hear people still clinging on the the opinion that X2 is somehow great. Have you seen it lately? Not only has it not aged well, outside of two sequences, it's a dull, meandering movie with little to no character work. The first X-men's not great, but it holds up a lot better than X2 does now.
I just rewatched X2 the other day and I still love it. The first half is one great sequence after another, and while the second half absolutely loses steam (it somehow simultaneously feels both too small and bloated), the performances are good and it ends on a high note. I think it's somewhat diminished because The Last Stand failed to deliver on X2's promise. 2003 was also still more or less the stone age for these kinds of movies. X2 really needed a great "Avengers style" action setpiece in that last act, but I just don't think Hollywood was ready for that yet.
Old 05-27-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
But its my opinion that he got lucky because I don't view his other X-Men films (or his films in general) as great. It seems like at the time Days of Future Past came out people were singing his praises about him saving the franchise when to me while it was a good film he was hardly responsible for the films being great to begin with. To me he made some passable films at a time when superhero films weren't as big as they are but the first two Singer X-Men films have been far surpassed since they originally came out in my opinion. Again I'm not saying that my opinion is right or wrong or that anyone else has to agree but those are my thoughts on the matter.
I don't have any issue with your opinion, nor do you have to keep prefacing your comments with that. I'm simply saying that when using a term like "lucky" you should be able to separate your opinion from the more general perception, as I mentioned in my previous post about being an aberration.

I also don't recall people saying Singer "saved" the franchise with Days of Future Past, since First Class was incredibly well received. Vaughn saved the franchise from X-Men Origins and X3 more then anything.
Old 05-27-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have any issue with your opinion, nor do you have to keep prefacing your comments with that. I'm simply saying that when using a term like "lucky" you should be able to separate your opinion from the more general perception, as I mentioned in my previous post about being an aberration.

I also don't recall people saying Singer "saved" the franchise with Days of Future Past, since First Class was incredibly well received. Vaughn saved the franchise from X-Men Origins and X3 more then anything.
I guess I could have phrased my post better but my original post wasn't intended to mean that everyone else felt that way. I was just stating that for myself not that everyone else felt like he got lucky.
Old 05-27-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess I could have phrased my post better but my original post wasn't intended to mean that everyone else felt that way. I was just stating that for myself not that everyone else felt like he got lucky.
I didn't take that from your post, and wasn't what I was trying to get at. I'm probably just explaining myself poorly.
Old 05-27-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't want to speak for Fumanstan, but the notion that Singer got "lucky" with the X-Men movies seems kind of crazy and outside the general scope of opinion. I understand that you don't think the movies are great (which is fine), but I think "lucky" is a really poor choice of words. Unless of course you really do think that Singer somehow lucked into making a bunch of movies that a lot of people really like. Then, I don't know what to say.
Old 05-27-16, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh for fuck's sake I didn't think this would turn into a whole debate. I guess I should have used a different term than he got lucky.
Old 05-27-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I don't want to speak for Fumanstan, but the notion that Singer got "lucky" with the X-Men movies seems kind of crazy and outside the general scope of opinion. I understand that you don't think the movies are great (which is fine), but I think "lucky" is a really poor choice of words. Unless of course you really do think that Singer somehow lucked into making a bunch of movies that a lot of people really like. Then, I don't know what to say.
Glad someone was able to get an idea of what I meant
Old 05-27-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Oh for fuck's sake I didn't think this would turn into a whole debate. I guess I should have used a different term than he got lucky.
Well... Singer did get lucky with the Xfilms ( to a certain extent) .

You just need to research that one in the dark corners of the web.
Old 05-27-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
First Class is awful .... this (Apocalypse) will probably be Citizen Kane to you
First Class is the only one I bought on blu...Have X-Men 1-3 on DVD and never felt the need to upgrade them.

The Wolverine solo movies do nothing for me; but I have seen them.

I agree with several here that First Class is easily the best X-Men movie.
Old 05-27-16, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
First Class is awful .... this (Apocalypse) will probably be Citizen Kane to you
Really? 'Cause I think the Magneto and the Xavier/Eric scenes are some of the best the franchise has to offer and Bacon's demise was handled extremely well/badass.

Plus, that Magneto theme. Best Superhero theme out there right now.
Old 05-27-16, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I think the opposite, the only flaw for me is that X2 drags at the end of the movie with the entire Alkali Lake sequence. X1 doesn't hold up as well for me, with everything feeling so small scale and with mediocre action sequences.
I don't mean the action, I meant the character elements and story. Sure, if you just want KOOL action set pieces, X2 is your bag - for me, that shit's shallow and gets old, so it's character that holds up a movie over time, something X2 comparatively lacks.
Old 05-27-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Really? 'Cause I think the Magneto and the Xavier/Eric scenes are some of the best the franchise has to offer and Bacon's demise was handled extremely well/badass.

Old 05-27-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't mean the action, I meant the character elements and story. Sure, if you just want KOOL action set pieces, X2 is your bag - for me, that shit's shallow and gets old, so it's character that holds up a movie over time, something X2 comparatively lacks.
I would agree that some of the major characters get the shaft in the character department. Cyclops is the biggest victim. It's too bad, because I thought Marsden did a really nice job with Jean's death scene even if that relationship was woefully underwritten up to that point. X2 is also the movie with the least interesting part for Magneto, arguably the best character in the series.

However, I thought a lot of the supporting roles in X2 got some quality character moments. Off the top of my head, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Iceman, Pyro, Stryker, and Mystique all had some nice moments.
Old 05-27-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I would agree that some of the major characters get the shaft in the character department. Cyclops is the biggest victim. It's too bad, because I thought Marsden did a really nice job with Jean's death scene even if that relationship was woefully underwritten up to that point. X2 is also the movie with the least interesting part for Magneto, arguably the best character in the series.

However, I thought a lot of the supporting roles in X2 got some quality character moments. Off the top of my head, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Iceman, Pyro, Stryker, and Mystique all had some nice moments.
I think there's plenty of good character moments in X2. The Rogue/Iceman/Pyro stuff works MUCH better then it really should, Mystique is much better then in the first movie, and the Stryker/Wolverine stuff is excellent.

Hardly just about being "KOOL"
Old 05-27-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I forgot where I read it or saw it in a feature(?) but it sounds like Singer was very hands on as a producer of First Class and is also credited with the overall story development.
Old 05-27-16, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I forgot where I read it or saw it in a feature(?) but it sounds like Singer was very hands on as a producer of First Class and is also credited with the overall story development.
There were a lot of cooks in the kitchen on First Class. The movie ended up as sort of an amalgamation of multiple X-Men films being developed in the wake of Last Stand (young X-Men, Magneto Origins). Singer was supposed to direct at one point and completely overhauled the script. I think he even worked in some of the stuff he had planned for his version of X3 (Hellfire Club). Singer had to drop out due to Jack the Giant Killer, at which point Vaughn came onboard and put his own spin on it. In all, the movie had 4 "screenwriter" credits and 2 "story by" credits. It's no surprise that the final product feels as scatter brained as it does.
Old 05-27-16, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo

indeed the Xavier/Eric scenes were well done (and even moreso the Eric scenes without Xavier) but that accounted for how much of the movie? very little compared with everything else including the X-babies

anything with Bacon (or any supposed threat) was cringe inducing
Old 05-27-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There were a lot of cooks in the kitchen on First Class. The movie ended up as sort of an amalgamation of multiple X-Men films being developed in the wake of Last Stand (young X-Men, Magneto Origins). Singer was supposed to direct at one point and completely overhauled the script. I think he even worked in some of the stuff he had planned for his version of X3 (Hellfire Club). Singer had to drop out due to Jack the Giant Killer, at which point Vaughn came onboard and put his own spin on it. In all, the movie had 4 "screenwriter" credits and 2 "story by" credits. It's no surprise that the final product feels as scatter brained as it does.
I dunno. I think despite kind of having a few things going on that the plot is pretty coherent and works well for the most part. Vaughn did a pretty good job at balancing things to make a good film in my opinion.
Old 05-27-16, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I dunno it had that "we want to tell a Magneto/X origin story" but will people just watch that? "How about we toss in some young X-recruits?" feel.
Old 05-27-16, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love Devin Faraci's review, which absolutely eviscerates this film through and through:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/...nt-oscar-isaac
Old 05-27-16, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I love Devin Faraci's review, which absolutely eviscerates this film through and through:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/...nt-oscar-isaac
it's pretty spot on

by the way I don't know if this really needs to be spoilerized or not but it is laughably bad how silly
Spoiler:
Apocalypse and his 4 Horsemen (or however many there are at the time with him) look when they appear after transporting themselves ... it was Electric Company Spider-Man bad
Old 05-27-16, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I dunno it had that "we want to tell a Magneto/X origin story" but will people just watch that? "How about we toss in some young X-recruits?" feel.
I guess that worked for me though. Since it told their origins through the team coming together. It didn't feel tacked on but like a natural progression of the story to me. Frankly I do think the way it was done probably worked better than if they had just done a Professor X or Magneto origin film as a stand alone story.
Old 05-28-16, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thought the reviews thread would have more comments by now. This looks better than DoFP. I will see this movie on Monday.

Could this be the last X-movie for McAvoy and Fassbender??