Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Apocalypse (D: Singer; May 27th, 2016)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Apocalypse (D: Singer; May 27th, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts
Re: X-Men: Apocalypse (D: Singer; May 27th, 2016)

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I don't think I said I would avoid it. I probably will wait for the blu or VOD however.
Fair enough, but the criticism that the X-Men films are more or less just Wolverine films still doesn't apply to Apocalypse.
Old 05-26-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Is this not showing in IMAX 2D or 3D? I just checked the local show times for tomorrow thru next week and my local Liemax doesn;t appear to be showing it which I found strange.
Old 05-26-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Old 05-26-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Is this not showing in IMAX 2D or 3D? I just checked the local show times for tomorrow thru next week and my local Liemax doesn;t appear to be showing it which I found strange.
Alice In Wonderland has the 3D screens booked.
Old 05-26-16, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pretty average movie
almost walked out early on as it just felt like we've done this all before again and again
got better as it went on but again other than X2, felt like much of the rest of the franchise ... average
Old 05-27-16, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

My plans changed at the last minute and couldn't make the screening.
Old 05-27-16, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I enjoyed every scene with Quicksilver in it, some of the new characters, as well as some of the death scenes but the film felt like a mess.
Old 05-27-16, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

"The third one is always the worst." At first I thought that line was a jab at X3, then I realized it applied to this movie as well.

Was pretty disappointed with this movie, especially with the fun I had with Deadpool and Civil War this year. Hell, I liked Batman v Superman better. I only enjoyed the Quicksilver scenes , Apocalypse was a pretty boring villain and all the action scenes were uninspired.
Old 05-27-16, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
pretty average movie
almost walked out early on as it just felt like we've done this all before again and again
got better as it went on but again other than X2, felt like much of the rest of the franchise ... average
That's how I felt about Civil War (and I'm a huge Cap fan) and while there are still some similarities to the previous X-films, overall, I thought this was pretty enjoyable ride and it's better than BvS (there I said it).

Loved:
Spoiler:

Fassbender as Magneto (the man could have his own trilogy)
The "Poor Soul Speech 2.0" from X1
Berserker Rage 2.0 (which surpassed X2)
QS rescue 2.0 (he stole the show once again)
Havok destroying Cerebro
The hate for X3 and how it mucked shit up
The Danger Room sequence and costumes.

Hated:
Spoiler:

DOFP events making Mystique a hero, which gave JLaw more screen time. Hopefully, this is the last we will see of her.
Munn as Psylocke was a complete waste. You mean to tell me there are no seriously hot Asians with acting chops that could've filled this role?
Angel was a complete waste.
Apoc's Ivan Ooze look. This would've been so much better:

Loved:[/img]
Old 05-27-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

So sounds like Singer just got lucky with Days of Future Past and isn't the saving grace of the franchise necessarily. Honestly I've said it before and still feel the same way that I feel the first two films are somewhat overrated and that I've enjoyed the X-Men films more since First Class. That one is by far my favorite with Days of Future Past and The Wolverine being close behind. I'm disappointed as I was looking forward to this film. I'll still see it but kind of a bummer that it sounds pretty underwhelming.
Old 05-27-16, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I wanted to like this film, and there's some good stuff in here, but I really felt it was kind of all over the place.
Old 05-27-16, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOVED the movie.

Being an XMen geek from the 70s/80s/90s (Animated Show)...this movie really delivered. A movie can NEVER be the same as a Book or comic book, but I loved what they did.

Some great humor throughout, even more if you are a geek (3rd movie joke).

Not sure it is going to catch on with the avg movie goer?
Old 05-27-16, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So sounds like Singer just got lucky with Days of Future Past and isn't the saving grace of the franchise necessarily. Honestly I've said it before and still feel the same way that I feel the first two films are somewhat overrated and that I've enjoyed the X-Men films more since First Class. That one is by far my favorite with Days of Future Past and The Wolverine being close behind. I'm disappointed as I was looking forward to this film. I'll still see it but kind of a bummer that it sounds pretty underwhelming.
Putting your own opinion aside, I'm not sure how you can say he "got lucky" when the previous 3 movies he directed are often considered anywhere from very good to excellent movies.
Old 05-27-16, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sounds like Singer just got lucky with Days of Future Past

And X-Men and X2: X-Men United.
Old 05-27-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I still don't think any X-Men movie has been as good as First Class. It's a shame Vaughn left/was shoved aside in favor of Singer regaining control of the franchise.

I'm of the frame of mind that his more successful X-movies (X, X2, and to a much lesser extent DOFP) worked despite Singer's flaws as a filmmaker, rather than because of his strengths. He has a tendency to lose grasp of his movie's narrative thrust, circling a meandering drain before remembering what his story is actually about.
Old 05-27-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata
And X-Men and X2: X-Men United.
Its my opinion and I stated in the same post that I don't really care for those two films. X2 is the better of the two but I find it overrated. The first I've never found to be anything that special.
Old 05-27-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Class trumps them all. Will be seeing this on Monday.
Old 05-27-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
First Class trumps them all. Will be seeing this on Monday.
First Class is awful .... this (Apocalypse) will probably be Citizen Kane to you
Old 05-27-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Putting your own opinion aside, I'm not sure how you can say he "got lucky" when the previous 3 movies he directed are often considered anywhere from very good to excellent movies.
Its simply my opinion that his previous X-Men films aren't the greatest. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong but for me I just don't think the films are as great as some do. I enjoy most of the films in the franchise to some extent but I've never loved the first two films. Plus I don't think that Singer is all that great of a director aside from his X-Men films either.
Old 05-27-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have yet to see the movie, so I may be way off base here, but the impression that I get with this movie is that it doesn't really have a purpose outside of being just another X-Men movie (this time with Apocalypse!). The others all seem to have a specific narrative goal.

X-Men: Proof of concept. Needs to establish the characters/world, and in a larger context out to prove that big budget superhero movies not based on Superman or Batman can work.
X2: The second movie is always where they take the lessons they learned from the first (what worked, what didn't), flesh things out and do all of the things they couldn't do in the first, most likely with a larger budget.
The Last Stand: The (more or less) climactic conclusion.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine's origin.
First Class: More origins/reboot
The Wolverine: Make a Wolverine movie that doesn't suck as well as deal with some of the fall out from The Last Stand.
Days of Future Past: Old class/new class mash-up which also serves as a(nother) reboot and final goodbye to old class.
Apocalypse: ?

At first glance, this movie seems to be out to reestablish all of the characters that kind of got the shaft in the older films (Cyclops, Jean, Nightcrawler, etc.) and put them back into play for further films. But does anyone actually think that this is going to be the launching pad for a new series of X-Men movies lead by Tye Sheridan and Sophie Turner? I just don't see it, which kind of leaves this one feeling like a bit of a lame duck.
Old 05-27-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Its simply my opinion that his previous X-Men films aren't the greatest. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong but for me I just don't think the films are as great as some do. I enjoy most of the films in the franchise to some extent but I've never loved the first two films. Plus I don't think that Singer is all that great of a director aside from his X-Men films either.
And I acknowledged your opinion in my post with the very first sentence. The point is that he hardly "got lucky" with Days of Future Past given the user and critic response to his other movies in the universe. Maybe he got lucky in appeasing your taste with that one movie, but that's an aberration more then anything.

For what it's worth, I still think First Class is mediocre (and below DoFP and X2). And The Usual Suspects is my favorite movie
Old 05-27-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Yeah, it's hilarious when I hear people still clinging on the the opinion that X2 is somehow great. Have you seen it lately? Not only has it not aged well, outside of two sequences, it's a dull, meandering movie with little to no character work. The first X-men's not great, but it holds up a lot better than X2 does now.
Old 05-27-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I have yet to see the movie, so I may be way off base here, but the impression that I get with this movie is that it doesn't really have a purpose outside of being just another X-Men movie (this time with Apocalypse!). The others all seem to have a specific narrative goal.

X-Men: Proof of concept. Needs to establish the characters/world, and in a larger context out to prove that big budget superhero movies not based on Superman or Batman can work.
X2: The second movie is always where they take the lessons they learned from the first (what worked, what didn't), flesh things out and do all of the things they couldn't do in the first, most likely with a larger budget.
The Last Stand: The (more or less) climactic conclusion.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine's origin.
First Class: More origins/reboot
The Wolverine: Make a Wolverine movie that doesn't suck as well as deal with some of the fall out from The Last Stand.
Days of Future Past: Old class/new class mash-up which also serves as a(nother) reboot and final goodbye to old class.
Apocalypse: ?

At first glance, this movie seems to be out to reestablish all of the characters that kind of got the shaft in the older films (Cyclops, Jean, Nightcrawler, etc.) and put them back into play for further films. But does anyone actually think that this is going to be the launching pad for a new series of X-Men movies lead by Tye Sheridan and Sophie Turner? I just don't see it, which kind of leaves this one feeling like a bit of a lame duck.
That's what the ending led me to believe. I'd figure they more/less would be led by McAvoy and our blue friends.
Old 05-27-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, it's hilarious when I hear people still clinging on the the opinion that X2 is somehow great. Have you seen it lately? Not only has it not aged well, outside of two sequences, it's a dull, meandering movie with little to no character work. The first X-men's not great, but it holds up a lot better than X2 does now.
I think the opposite, the only flaw for me is that X2 drags at the end of the movie with the entire Alkali Lake sequence. X1 doesn't hold up as well for me, with everything feeling so small scale and with mediocre action sequences.
Old 05-27-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I still don't think any X-Men movie has been as good as First Class. It's a shame Vaughn left/was shoved aside in favor of Singer regaining control of the franchise.

I'm of the frame of mind that his more successful X-movies (X, X2, and to a much lesser extent DOFP) worked despite Singer's flaws as a filmmaker, rather than because of his strengths. He has a tendency to lose grasp of his movie's narrative thrust, circling a meandering drain before remembering what his story is actually about.
I think I agree with what you say about Singer having a tendency to lose his grasp on a movie's narrative, but I give him a lot of credit for giving the series its soul. For me, that goes a long ways in covering up for some of his weaknesses. I just rewatched X1 recently and the first 30 minutes or so of that movie are PERFECT. It goes a bit off the rails after that point (mostly due to budget issues, I think), but I could not imagine a better set up for that world and for those characters.

As for Vaughn, who knows. First Class has some really high highs, but it also has some pretty low lows. Talk about losing track of what a film is about. First Class is all over the place.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.