Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Friday the 13th film

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Untitled Friday the 13th film

Old 04-16-14, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts
Re: Untitled Friday the 13th film (3/13/15)

Found footage Friday the 13th.... Really?!? Whats next, Jason in space?
Old 04-16-14, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
You know I'm warming up to this now. Not because I'm necessarily excited for it, but because I'm desperate to see some type of horror movie in theaters that isn't trying to be Insidious or The Conjuring.
This. I hate the current state of Horror.
Old 04-16-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Hmm, I'm the opposite. I think the current state of horror is better than it's been in quite some time. IMO, it's certainly better than PG-13 Japanese remakes and umpteenth slasher sequels starring washed up rappers.

That's not saying every horror film released these days is worthwhile but that's never been the case anyway.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 04-16-14 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-16-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
That's not saying every horror film released these days is worthwhile but that's never been the case anyway.
Yep, I basically agree that there's some quality stuff being released, but also a glut of really bad stuff. It's an oversaturated genre right now, but if you're a fan you have a lot of choices. Kind of reminds me of the mid-80s, when every other movie seemed to be horror-themed.
Old 04-16-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I can never get past the fact that the conceit of virtually every found footage film is that someone, somehow, found all the right footage and edited it together to make a film.
The problem with found footage releases is that studios can no longer play the "no, this is really REAL" trick they did with The Blair Witch Project. Not that movie die-hards didn't know it was faux, but there were a lot of casual moviegoers in those first few weeks of release that actually thought it was real footage. It would be cool if someone could pull that off again, but in the age of the Internet it's all but impossible.
Old 04-16-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

My main problem is none of the action is ever in focus, just a bunch of shaking and blurring. I want to see Jason smash people in sleeping bags against trees, not a blurry mess from someone hiding behind a bush and freaking out.
Old 04-24-14, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

So not exactly film related but now there's this. I honestly don't understand why someone feels the need to turn the series into a show. I somehow have doubts that a show based on just Jason and the Voorhees family would be that interesting. My only guess is that the part about Jason and his family is only a part of the series and that they plan to make the series more about camp counselors at Crystal Lake and occasionally have Jason and maybe his family pop in at the camp to kill off some of the counselors or something. Even still though I don't see how a series like that could last very long. Seems like if anything it would make a better mini series. Either way I'm not very excited about this idea.

EXCLUSIVE: After slicing and dicing his way through a dozen feature films, Jason Voorhees is ready to slash his way to small-screen stardom. Emmett/Furla/Oasis Films and Crystal Lake Entertainment have set a deal to produce a new hourlong dramatic series based upon the characters and settings of Friday The 13th. Sean S. Cunningham, who helmed the 1980 original, will be executive producer along with EFO Films principals Randall Emmett & George Furla, Mark Canton of Atmosphere Entertainment MM, Steve B. Harris of Diversion3 Entertainment, and Ted Fox of Fox Entertainment. Also producing is Horror Inc. president Robert Barsamian, who produced the features.

Bill Basso (Terminator) and Jordu Schell (Avatar) have been set to script a storyline that re-imagines Jason in multiple time periods. Roy Knyrim (Gods And Monsters) of SOTA FX will coordinate the special make-up effects for the series. If you recall, the original was set at a summer camp, closed because of the drowning of an unattended child. Promiscuous counselors tried to re-open the place, but they began dying. Jason actually took root as the indestructible villain in the second film, with his signature hockey goalie mask coming later. The series is contemporary, focusing on the eclectic characters of Crystal Lake who are forced to confront the return of the killer, as new secrets about his wacky family are revealed.

Jason Voorhees is synonymous with the genre and we plan to build on this legacy with a provocative and compelling take that expands upon the storylines that have already thrilled millions worldwide,” explained Cunningham. Said Barsamian: “Expect the show to take viewers in some exciting new directions that we’re confident will not only excite existing fans of Friday The 13th but also attract new audiences to the situations and characters that inhabit the small town of Crystal Lake.”

Emmett and Furla said they sparked to the idea of continuing a horror touchstone with the original creatives. EFOF is currently in the middle of the John Singleton-directed Tupac, which was just acquired by Open Road and is casting up, as well as the Martin Scorsese-directed Silence with Andrew Garfield, Liam Neeson, Adam Driver, Ken Watanabe, and Issei Ogata. They are also backing the M Night Shyamalan-directed Labor Of Love, which reunites the filmmakers with The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable star Bruce Willis.
http://www.deadline.com/interstitial...long-series%2F

Last edited by Mike86; 04-24-14 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-24-14, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

No Robey, no sale.
Old 04-24-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

I've been waiting to see someone get a bit more creative with the found footage genre (I for one love it) and I think for a Friday 13th movie it's a great idea with the more creative side being shoot half of the film in found footage mode than shoot the rest normal.

It would be kind of a cool thing to see a flick start off that way, basically spying on Jason or some crazy happenings then have the group take a look at the footage elsewhere then just have the shit hit the fan without someone always running with the camera.

I don't know, beats the hell out of constantly trying to come up with half-clever ways of explaining how or why the person still has a camera on them (although I thought it was pulled off pretty well in chronicle).

Yes, with all that said I still do love the found footage genre
Old 04-24-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

F13th is not high art. There is a formula that works that fans eat up and that is the formula you use. Bingo bango, done. Just put him in the fucking snow and make everyone happy.

I don't even know what to say about this TV series. Jason in different time periods? Could be a Jason X, where it's such sheer lunacy things just happen to magically work, though I kinda doubt it.
Old 04-24-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Just make it a Saturday morning cartoon already.
Old 04-24-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm more open to television adaptations of popular movies after watching shows like Bates Motel and Fargo.
Old 04-24-14, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I'm more open to television adaptations of popular movies after watching shows like Bates Motel and Fargo.
Bates Motel is really good. I think there though Norman Bates is a character that while he is a killer at the end of the day is pretty much a regular guy so his backstory and what made him go mad is somewhat interesting to see unfold. I haven't seen the Fargo series yet (have the two episodes that have aired on my DVR) but it seems like a film that would lend itself to being fairly easy to adapt for a series.

For Friday the 13th though I really don't think it'll work. It's a slasher film and we don't need a bunch of backstory into Jason or the Voorhees family. I still have a feeling it'll end up being a show more about the camp, probably with some pretty actors and actresses as counselors and Jason and the Voorhees family will just be a small part of the show. If it is a show that would focus on Jason and his family I tend to think it might end up like the Rob Zombie Halloween. I didn't hate that film but giving Michael more of a background kind of killed the mystery about him and the same thing would happen to Jason.
Old 04-25-14, 08:15 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember the first Friday the 13th tv show, it ran on Sci-Fi channel in the early 2000s, I saw like four or five episodes but I don't recall if Jason was actually shown on the show. It was more like a shitty rip off of The Hitchhiker
Old 04-25-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought it was an anthology type show?
Old 04-25-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Friday the 13th: The Series aka Friday's Curse had no relation to the films. It was an anthology series based around an antique shop and basically the owners of it were trying to track down various cursed items that had been sold out their shop. I haven't seen much of it but from what I've seen and heard from others it's actually not bad for what it is. Just nothing to do with Jason or the films.
Old 04-25-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandclaws
F13th is not high art. There is a formula that works that fans eat up and that is the formula you use. Bingo bango, done. Just put him in the fucking snow and make everyone happy.

I don't even know what to say about this TV series. Jason in different time periods? Could be a Jason X, where it's such sheer lunacy things just happen to magically work, though I kinda doubt it.
The problem with the films is that the films that tried to deviate from the formula have sucked.

V sucks because it wasn't Jason. VII sucked because it was like that of a borderline Carrie remake. VIII sucked because Jason was stuck on a boat. Hell sucked because Jason wasn't Jason. I love Jason X, but I know a lot of people who like the franchise that hate it.

I really enjoyed the reboot/remake. That's all this franchise needs to be. Have Jason just go on a murder rampage, make it tons of fun, and crank the R-rating to its absolute limit. Rinse, recycle, and repeat.
Old 04-25-14, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Introduce annoying teens sitting around a campfire smoking pot and then have sex. Jason kills them graphically. Cut to the Friday the 13th title. Introduce more annoying teens and after we get to know them a bit after having had sex and smoked pot have Jason kill them graphically except for one pretty blonde girl who Jason chases around the woods a bit until she kills him (or does she?. Credits roll.

That is what I want in a Friday the 13th movie. I want it in part one and I want it the same way up to part thirteen.
Old 05-30-14, 04:04 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Back in November, the studio said its latest take on the Friday The 13th franchise would be unsheathed on March 13, 2015. Check that. Paramount announced today that it has pushed the horror pic back to November 13 — the next Friday the 13th on the 2015 calendar — and will begin its Scouts Vs. Zombies jamboree on March 13. Director Christopher Landon’s horror mashup will face off against Disney’s live-action Cinderella and Warner Bros high-seas drama Heart Of The Sea. The date change leaves Friday the 13th‘s Jason, his hockey mask and his chainsaw to battle the Untitled New Line Comedy, the only other pic currently slated for that weekend. Apologies to any triskaidekaphobics who were disturbed by the repeated use of the number 13 in this post. Send your complaints to Paramount.
Old 05-30-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The date change leaves Friday the 13th‘s Jason, his hockey mask and his chainsaw...
Old 05-30-14, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Untitled Friday the 13th film (5/13/16)

Paramount's got BEVERLY HILLS COP IV coming out in March, that's why. It doesn't want two major franchises competing against each other in the same month.
Old 05-30-14, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I get that they want to release it on a Friday the 13th, but there's one in February and March too which would seem better suited for it than November when a lot of the year end blockbusters and awards bait films release.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-30-14 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly, with all the terrible directions I fear this entry is headed I don't care how far they push it back. And this is coming from someone who has been a serious fan of the franchise for 20+ years.
Old 05-30-14, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

I just hope they return to Jason's roots and have him wear his signature striped sweater.
Old 05-30-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I just hope they return to Jason's roots and have him wear his signature striped sweater.
As long as his mask looks like the Captain Kirk mask from the original I'll be happy!

Someone needs to photoshop Myer's head on Freddy's body holding a chainsaw in front of a summer camp.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.