Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Friday the 13th film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Untitled Friday the 13th film

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's one of the weirdest expressions I have ever heard in my life.
Old 03-25-15, 03:04 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: Untitled Friday the 13th film (5/13/16)

TV writer Nick Antosca (Hannibal, Believe) has been tapped by Paramount to write a new draft of Friday the 13th.

Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller are producing the latest version of the horror classic, which the studio has already dated for May 13, 2016. It will mark the second time Bay's Platinum Dunes has made the film in the past decade. The company also spearheaded a 2009 outing, which was released by Warner Bros. That film was made for $19 million and earned $91 million worldwide.

David Bruckner, who earned praise for his indie horror film V/H/S, is directing Friday the 13th, which is expected to employ the found-footage technique and answer the decades-old question of why slasher Jason Voorhes can't be killed. Richard Naing and Ian Goldberg wrote the previous draft.

Friday the 13th first hit the big screen in 1980 (with Kevin Bacon in a lead role) and spawned seven sequels throughout the 1980s.

Antosca, who is coming off the NBC's serial killer series Hannibal, just finished a draft of the film The Forest for Lava Bear and producer David Goyer. Antosca's draft got the project a green light.

He is repped by WME, Writ Large and attorney Lev Ginsburg.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ward-at-784264
Old 03-25-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Untitled Friday the 13th film (5/13/16, Bruckner)

I thought the found footage angle was supposedly being dropped. That's weak if that aspect is still being used in the new film. Also I didn't even realize until now that the director is the same guy who did V/H/S that doesn't get me overly excited about this either.
Old 03-25-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Well there went any hope of a new F13 being any fun at all.
Old 03-25-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I liked V/H/S.

Spoiler:
Old 03-25-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Guys, it's been public knowledge for a while now that the found footage angle isn't going to be used.

My main concern is all this talk about explaining Jason's origins. Clearly, the makers of this film don't understand what it is fans want: more of the same, with different character archetypes and a high body count.

And snow. For the love of all that is unholy, snow.
Old 03-25-15, 04:37 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which is expected to employ the found-footage technique and answer the decades-old question of why slasher Jason Voorhes can't be killed.
They already tried to explain why he can't be killed in Jason Goes to Hell and that was a disaster. The whole notion of 'explaining' these horror villains is a bad idea to begin with. It never adds to the fear or fun. Michael Myers was more effective without knowing about Thorn or Rob Zombie's white trash upbringing. They kept trying to add layers to Freddy's backstory and all it did was further dilute the character each time.

As for the found footage point, I'm hoping that's just bad reporting and the author was going off the old information or making assumptions because of the director hire. I bring this up because they misspelled 'Voorhees' and seemed to credit David Bruckner as the sole director of V/H/S, which is a bit misleading considering each segment was done by a different guy. Bruckner only did the motel room/date rape segment (which was actually my favorite one of the bunch).
Old 03-25-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Guys, it's been public knowledge for a while now that the found footage angle isn't going to be used.
I thought that was the case and I posted an article in this thread a while back stating that the found footage angle was dropped. I guess I wasn't sure if they changed their mind and were going back to that idea again.

My main concern is all this talk about explaining Jason's origins. Clearly, the makers of this film don't understand what it is fans want: more of the same, with different character archetypes and a high body count.

And snow. For the love of all that is unholy, snow.
Pretty much all of this. Just make a new film that's similar in tone to any of the Paramount entries and I'll be happy.
Old 03-25-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

Any idea who will play Jason? I hope they can bring back Derek Mears.
Old 03-26-15, 09:18 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Pretty much all of this. Just make a new film that's similar in tone to any of the Paramount entries and I'll be happy.
Yeah, my fear is that they'll lose the fun element and make it unnecessarily dark and dour.

At the same time I *really* don't want them to go the intentional cheese, self parody route (like Bride of Chucky) or make it obnoxiously winking and self-referential (like loading it up with lines like, "We're teenagers going to have sex in the woods... what could go wrong?").
Old 05-18-15, 06:11 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Exclusive: Brad Fuller Updates on Friday the 13th Sequel; Confirms It’s Not Found Footage

This May on Shock, we’re looking at remakes. We’re reassessing, reviewing and reexamining what we hate about them, and even maybe what we should enjoy. Part of such is an upcoming interview with producer Brad Fuller, best known as co-founder—alongside Michael Bay and Andrew Form—of Platinum Dunes, the production company which drew horror fan ire for much of the 00s with their remakes. In the talk, Fuller looks back on the Dunes run, which of course includes the well-received Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) and the underrated Friday the 13th (2009). Discussing the latter, we turned to the long-awaited sequel, and Fuller updated us on the film and its format (not found footage), to-be-directed by David Bruckner.

“I could just say that for a long time we were stalled,” Fuller tells Shock. “I think you guys reported that the movie was going to be a found footage movie and that was a road that we went down and tried to figure out. Ultimately, I think Michael, Drew and I felt that we couldn’t figure that out, so we kind of jettisoned that whole notion and we had to start over. We’re in the latter phases of that starting over and hopefully we’re getting a script in the next month or two, and we’ll go back to Crystal Lake.”

It seems with the discarding of found footage, the Dunes producers also saw clearly what many want from a Friday the 13th film. “At the end of the day, those movies are so fantastic because Jason Voorhees is such a dynamic presence and people love to see him do what he does well. We hope to put Jason in a situation where he’s able to do that again, and it doesn’t feel like you’re seeing the same thing over and over,” Fuller adds.

Fuller also spoke to how fan expectations weigh on their films, and it seems the ensuing outcry over a hypothetical found footage Friday had a direct effect. “It absolutely weighs on me, and there have been many times when the fans have affected surely the way we think about, and in some cases the way we shot, some of the stories. Sometimes you have to go through a lot of bullshit in what they’re saying, but very often you’ll get a fan with such a great idea, or a great notion, and it’s meaningful to us,” Fuller says. “Listen, there was an outpouring of negative sentiment when it was revealed that Friday the 13th might have been a found footage movie. That was very clear to us that there was not a groundswell of support for that. That had tremendous amount of impact on us and only substantiated our concern about doing it as a found footage movie. Ultimately, the fact that the movie’s been delayed for a long time might be a good thing, because now the movie’s not going to be found footage.”

Friday the 13th 2 is currently slated for a May 13th, 2016 release date.
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...found-footage/
Old 05-18-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You needed fans to tell you no one wanted found footage? That trend is done - cinematically speaking - and if a producer like Fuller couldn't see that then... well, fuck it, this is the same ass clown who gave us the remake of "Nightmare on Elm St." after all.
Old 05-18-15, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure placing this in May is the best idea but I guess that's the only Friday the 13th in the year 2016. Seems like it might get crushed at the box office though as that's generally a busy time for films and Marvel will be releasing Captain America: Civil War the weekend before.
Old 05-18-15, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They'll move it. They'd be stupid not to. F13th or not, it'll get decimated a week after Cap.
Old 05-18-15, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently it's a very hard thing to crank out a Jason script. News to me.
Old 05-18-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

If he doesn't want to do the same thing over and over, then why is he directing the 13th Friday the 13th film?
Old 05-18-15, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Apparently it's a very hard thing to crank out a Jason script. News to me.
Yeah, I really don't know how complicated it can be. They must be overthinking it which for a film like this isn't good. The formula is rather simple: Jason, twenty-somethings having sex and doing drugs and drinking, a strong leading character who can be Jason's foe, and some inventive kills.
Old 05-18-15, 08:04 PM
Banned

I'm not a Jason flick fan but I like Jason. I fucknig bought that massive Doc about the films. THIS one has my attention just cuz visually it already stands out just cuz of the snow. Which for me.. MIGHT make me go see this in theaters.

Shit. If I had Mortal Kombat X... I'd probably buy Jason to play as him cuz he's so much fun. I really want to see wtf Predator plays like.
Old 05-18-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They would be very wise to bring back Tommy Jarvis, but as an already established character. No origins. Make him a backwoods-wise badass who shows up well equipped to take on Jason.
Old 05-18-15, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by islandclaws
They would be very wise to bring back Tommy Jarvis, but as an already established character. No origins. Make him a backwoods-wise badass who shows up well equipped to take on Jason.
Hasn't Feldman said he's open to coming back for the part if he was offered it? It would be a long time since his last appearance but I never understood why they didn't do more with that character. He had potential to be Jason's greatest adversary and they just let him fade out after Jason Lives.
Old 05-18-15, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Hasn't Feldman said he's open to coming back for the part if he was offered it? It would be a long time since his last appearance but I never understood why they didn't do more with that character. He had potential to be Jason's greatest adversary and they just let him fade out after Jason Lives.
Feldman is barely 5'9", 100 and nothing lbs. How believable would he be against any of the Jasons? I imagine the studio is going to want to go with a hulking monster again to boot. I always liked the leaked script I read back in the day in which most of the surviving characters were brought back to Crystal Lake.
Old 05-18-15, 10:43 PM
Banned

They should keep the same actor they had for the Jason flick. Seemed like a really nice guy that loved the Jason character and he really really honed in on the physicality of the character.
Old 05-18-15, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Feldman is barely 5'9", 100 and nothing lbs. How believable would he be against any of the Jasons? I imagine the studio is going to want to go with a hulking monster again to boot. I always liked the leaked script I read back in the day in which most of the surviving characters were brought back to Crystal Lake.
It's not like he couldn't bulk up a bit. If he would want to come back again and play the character I think it'd be cool. I'd prefer that over him being recast. I doubt that the character will be used again anyways.
Old 05-18-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really surprised it'll be seven years between installments. The last one flamed out spectacularly in its second weekend but it had a huge first weekend, showing that there is still an appetite for these films.
Old 05-18-15, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't mind another Jason Lives-style movie. This time with nudity.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.