Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Friday the 13th film

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Untitled Friday the 13th film

Old 05-30-14, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts
re: Untitled Friday the 13th film (5/13/16)

Bill Basso (Terminator) and Jordu Schell (Avatar) have been set to script a storyline that re-imagines Jason in multiple time periods. Roy Knyrim (Gods And Monsters) of SOTA FX will coordinate the special make-up effects for the series. If you recall, the original was set at a summer camp, closed because of the drowning of an unattended child. Promiscuous counselors tried to re-open the place, but they began dying. Jason actually took root as the indestructible villain in the second film, with his signature hockey goalie mask coming later. The series is contemporary, focusing on the eclectic characters of Crystal Lake who are forced to confront the return of the killer, as new secrets about his wacky family are revealed.

Wow, Jordu Schell (the sculptor) is a writer now? Works for me. He's one of the best sculptors in the business, so it's pretty cool that they've given the franchise to folks that know horror.
Old 06-02-14, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Paramount's got BEVERLY HILLS COP IV coming out in March, that's why. It doesn't want two major franchises competing against each other in the same month.
Rarely does one reply to their own post, but I totally got this wrong...the BHC sequel isn't scheduled until March of 2016, so my theory as to the reason they moved this film to the fall is totally wrong. So many there ARE re-writes going on.
Old 06-02-14, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Rarely does one reply to their own post, but I totally got this wrong...the BHC sequel isn't scheduled until March of 2016, so my theory as to the reason they moved this film to the fall is totally wrong. So many there ARE re-writes going on.
The fact they have to do rewrites for this kind of movie speaks volumes. It's a friggin Friday the 13th movie, not exactly high art or known for great character development.
Old 06-03-14, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,024 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
The fact they have to do rewrites for this kind of movie speaks volumes. It's a friggin Friday the 13th movie, not exactly high art or known for great character development.
You'll be singing a different tune when Meryl Streep wins an Oscar for her portrayal of Mrs. Voorhees in the touching family drama about the trials and tribulations of a single mother and her mental challenged young son.
Old 07-24-14, 11:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bloody Disgusting interviewed Brad Fuller and asked about Friday the 13th...

BD: What’s the status of the 2015 Friday the 13th? We’ve heard found footage and we’ve heard 3D. Have either of those shifted?

Fuller: I can’t make any determination about found footage or 3D until we have a story that we all agree on and that we all like. The story is the most important thing and the way you tell the story, to me, is secondary. We have some writers writing but, because we don’t have a script that everyone has signed off on, I can’t speak to how the story is meant to be told. All of those things have been considered. But no decisions have been made. We don’t know what story is being told.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/intervi...nd-footage-3d/
Old 07-24-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts

Sounds like this movie is further off than we thought. Certainly doesn't sound like they're going in front of the cameras anytime soon (and definitely not for a 2015 release).
Old 07-24-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like this movie is further off than we thought. Certainly doesn't sound like they're going in front of the cameras anytime soon (and definitely not for a 2015 release).
It's a Friday the 13th film. They can write a script in a weekend if they wanted to.
Old 02-15-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

So not sure how reliable this web site is but it sounds like the found footage aspect may be dropped from the new film. I agree with the article that I don't think we need an explanation as to why Jason can keep coming back, but it sounds like this could be getting a bit more on track to being a decent sequel.

A Friday the 13th sequel has been in development ever since Platinum Dunes’ remake hit theaters in 2009. After Paramount dated and rescheduled (and rescheduled) the upcoming sequel, we finally appear to have a new Friday the 13th film hitting theaters in 2016 — the thing is, we haven’t heard much about it. Platinum Dunes producer Brad Fuller has revealed new details today — on Friday the 13th, naturally — about the upcoming sequel, why it’s taken so long and what we might expect from the project.

In a long and illuminating interview with Esquire, Fuller detailed why the Friday the 13th sequel has been languishing in development limbo for so long. What it boils down to is the classic reasons: budget and story. Following the $20 million Friday the 13th reboot in 2009 and Platinum Dunes’ disappointing A Nightmare on Elm Street reboot the following year, the company took some time off to reevaluate their plans for the franchise.

But after Fuller became pals with Blumhouse Productions head Jason Blum and partnered with Paramount, the ball has begun rolling on the sequel again. Fuller and his producing partner Andrew Form know how much they want the film to cost, but there’s just one more hitch: the story. Over the last several years, they’ve had many writers take a crack at the sequel, and they’re still planning on hiring “two or three” more writers in the next few weeks to hopefully land on a solid script.

There’s some very optimistic news here to get us hopeful for the sequel: Fuller says that the new Friday the 13th will not follow the found footage trend, and it will include the familiar franchise tropes of summer camp, kids smoking pot and Jason slashing and hacking his way through it all. Fuller isn’t certain if the new film will tie in to the 2009 movie, nor is he certain if it will take us back to another time in Jason’s life or if it will play around with the established mythology from the franchise.

What Fuller does know is that he’d like to explore a question that’s plagued many fans of the series for decades: why can’t Jason die? Fuller explains:

There’s always been this supernatural aspect to these movies. It defies logic that, you see Jason get killed in every movie, including ours, the 2009 one. And then he comes back and no one’s ever really investigated what that is. So that’s something that I think about a little bit. Like it is supernatural, but what is he? Those are the things that we’re toying with. Nothing has been decided. But those type of things: How does he always come back?

The Friday the 13th sequel will be helmed by The Signal and V/H/S director David Bruckner, who’s been attached to the project since last spring. Fuller appears to be taking his time to really get the next installment of the franchise right, which is a good thing, though we’re not sure if we need to know why Jason can’t die — the more things are explained in horror films, they tend to lose the power to scare you.

We’ll see (if and) when Friday the 13th hits theaters on May 13, 2016.
http://screencrush.com/friday-the-13...l-new-details/
Old 02-15-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GTFO of here with that shit. Does Fuller not recall Michael Myers bullshit rune storyline? Or Freddy's retarded "dream demons"?

Who cares why Jason always comes back? Demystifying iconic horror villains never works, period. Whatever idea they come up with to explain Jason's immortality will be both incredibly stupid and, yet, almost simple because the film's heroine will somehow find a way to stop it from happening again.

Again, just set in at Camp Crystal Lake, during a snowstorm, and let Jason do his thing. That's all the fans want anyway.
Old 02-15-15, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope the Jason killing in the snow happens cuz visually that would sell me on the idea of going to see a Jason flick. Especially if some of that is in the day.
Old 02-15-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by islandclaws
GTFO of here with that shit. Does Fuller not recall Michael Myers bullshit rune storyline? Or Freddy's retarded "dream demons"?

Who cares why Jason always comes back? Demystifying iconic horror villains never works, period. Whatever idea they come up with to explain Jason's immortality will be both incredibly stupid and, yet, almost simple because the film's heroine will somehow find a way to stop it from happening again.

Again, just set in at Camp Crystal Lake, during a snowstorm, and let Jason do his thing. That's all the fans want anyway.
Yeah I don't like that aspect of giving more explanation as to why Jason can keep coming back. These types of films don't need stuff like that to make them work. I'm hoping that's either dropped or doesn't play a big part in the film's story. Other than that though like I said I'm glad the found footage angle is seemingly being dropped and it sounds like the film is somewhat going back to basics. I do agree a winter at the camp would be cool and something different.
Old 02-15-15, 03:21 PM
Banned

I'm confused as to why these films need so many writers to only end up being poorly written Crap.
Old 02-15-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Summer camp during a snowstorm sounds ludicrous as much as we would like to see it happen. Take the camping and kids away, rent the campsite out to a hipster run corporation for a weekend getaway that happens to be during a snowstorm and let Jason go to town on them.
Old 02-15-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think any of us who want the film to take place during a snow storm want camp to be in session. Obviously if it's winter there wouldn't be summer camp, but the film can still take place at a summer camp and have whatever reason for a group of twenty-something's being there for a weekend of sex, drugs, and drinking only to be disrupted by Jason.
Old 02-15-15, 03:42 PM
Banned

I'm not even a fan of the franchise but love Jason. I want to see red in the snow from Jason's killing. Also get that same tall fucker from last time. He was badass.
Old 02-15-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Summer camp during a snowstorm sounds ludicrous as much as we would like to see it happen. Take the camping and kids away, rent the campsite out to a hipster run corporation for a weekend getaway that happens to be during a snowstorm and let Jason go to town on them.
I would be up for a corporate getaway with a bunch of yuppie types engaging in co-worker relationships . Would be quite cathartic for many people.
Old 02-15-15, 04:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

i have to watch Jason X ASAP!
Old 02-15-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i have to watch Jason X ASAP!
No, you don't.
Old 02-16-15, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

I don't care how Jason comes back, he just does. If there's a reason as to how, then its going to need to be answered why? Why does he only pick certain groups of campers?

A snowy scene would be really cool, and it wouldn't be that hard to come up with a reason why people would be at a camp during winter. Just like ski resorts found things to do during summer, a camp can find things to do during winter. Snowmobiling, cross country skiing, "xtreme retreats", whatever.
Old 02-16-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm not even a fan of the franchise but love Jason. I want to see red in the snow from Jason's killing. Also get that same tall fucker from last time. He was badass.
You should watch Dead Snow (both of them). I believe they are on Netflix streaming... plenty of blood in the snow there.
Old 02-16-15, 11:28 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe Rob Zombie should take over the franchise. We could use a white trash Jason origin story.
Old 02-16-15, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paramount has moved the release date back to May 13, 2016.
Old 02-16-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Paramount has moved the release date back to May 13, 2016.
So this is a reboot to a reboot, right? It's not like you could've had a sequel to a franchise like this 7 years removed from the first film in a new series.
Old 02-16-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not really sure what the new film is supposed to be. I wouldn't mind if they just tried to play it off as a loose sequel to the original franchise to be honest. There's really not a reason to reboot horror franchises in most instances other than to update them if you ask me. The May release date makes a lot more sense than the November one they originally announced did if you ask me.
Old 02-16-15, 12:32 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Untitled Friday the 13th film (5/13/16)

Your tits are so juicy, dude! You've got perfect nipple placement, baby!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.