Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Friday the 13th film

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Untitled Friday the 13th film

Old 12-05-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Untitled Friday the 13th film (3/13/15)

I can never get past the fact that the conceit of virtually every found footage film is that someone, somehow, found all the right footage and edited it together to make a film.
Old 12-05-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If something which wants to kill you is chasing you, you should drop the camera and RUN your ass off. The conceit of the whole genre has never entirely made sense to me.
Old 12-05-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I can never get past the fact that the conceit of virtually every found footage film is that someone, somehow, found all the right footage and edited it together to make a film.
Exactly. Pretty much every found footage film I've seen makes no sense as to how the footage exists enough to tell what's going on in the first place yet alone be able to make that footage into a movie. Obviously I'm over thinking it but I can't get past that.
Old 12-05-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Usually the only purpose of the found footage gimmick is to make it creepier that this might have actually happened. It's done to ground the movie in reality, but there's no way you can do that with Jason Voorhees. He's an unstoppable killing machine, not a simple serial killer or anything, he's a monster, and the character is too iconic to be placed in a found footage film. This movie will be a total disaster.
Old 12-05-13, 03:13 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't care what format they go with. Sexy tits + sexy kills = ticket sold.
Old 01-12-14, 07:40 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh, another found footage movie.

Platinum Dunes' Brad Fuller appeared at the Television Critics Association Press Tour this past week where he was asked by Crave Online if actor Derek Mears, who played Jason in the 2009 reboot, will return for the next film. The answer was surprising:

"I don't know because I don't know if we're going to have Jason. I don't know which Jason we're going to have. I can tell you this: I love Derek Mears, I love working with him and he's a dream so we'd be lucky to have him.

I think if we're going to go for a Jason Voorhees we would go with Derek [rather than Kane Hodder]. He's our guy. Now it's a matter of getting a script that we all love, that we feel like we can execute in a great way. That's always the battle, isn't it?"

Fuller confirms they are looking at a found footage format for the next film, but "I can't tell you definitively that that's what the movie is". He goes on to say:

"I'm well acquainted with some very loud members of the audience who hate found footage and I understand that. I think for us it's more about what the story is and what's the best way to tell it. Until we figure out exactly what the story is for the next Friday the 13th movie, I can't tell you what it's going to be."
Old 01-12-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

How about they figure out the story and make sure Jason is involved before they go Paranormal Activity with this franchise. Sounds like these guys are trying to hype something they don't even have yet.
Old 01-12-14, 11:26 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

if Night Ranger's Sister Christian doesn't play in every film released in this franchise from now on...the series is dead to me!!!
Old 01-12-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,024 Posts

Fuller confirms they are looking at a found footage format for the next film, but "I can't tell you definitively that that's what the movie is". He goes on to say:

"I'm well acquainted with some very loud members of the audience who hate found footage and I understand that. I think for us it's more about what the story is and what's the best way to tell it. Until we figure out exactly what the story is for the next Friday the 13th movie, I can't tell you what it's going to be."
Translation: We're determined to make this a "found footage" movie no matter what the story may actually call for because we can make it on the cheap and we're creatively bankrupt.
Old 01-13-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Wait, they're unsure if it's going to have Jason and it's found footage...ugh. Unless they plan to go full on reboot and make Pamela Voorhees the killer in this I really don't understand what else their plan would be. All I get out of that article is we don't really know what we're doing, we don't care that the fans don't want this to be found footage because we want to make this movie as cheap as we can, and we're slapping a Friday the 13th label on this movie we're not even sure Jason is in but all you fans will see it because you're suckers. Sounds like a winner!
Old 01-13-14, 07:47 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 367 Likes on 249 Posts

Yet another found footage movie + they're not sure if Jason will even be a part of it + I suspect they're making this just so they can retain the rights to the franchise, it doesn't sound like this will raise itself very far out of the shithole to me. I'll just have to wait & see how it pans out but I'm not holding out a whole lot of hope. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised...
Old 01-13-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You won't. None of us will. Brad Fuller is a fucking moron and he hasn't produced a single horror film worthy of recognition. He ain't gonna start now.
Old 01-13-14, 02:15 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Wait, they're unsure if it's going to have Jason and it's found footage...ugh. Unless they plan to go full on reboot and make Pamela Voorhees the killer in this I really don't understand what else their plan would be.
Roy Burns Lives!
Old 01-13-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I would only buy the found footage route if it is a documentary based on the killings and shutdown of Camp Crystal Lake. The documentary could be filmed years after the events of the last film and the belief that Jason is dead and gone to have him show up as the special guest during the proceedings. Sounds a bit too much like Halloween Resurrection though.
Old 01-13-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I would only buy the found footage route if it is a documentary based on the killings and shutdown of Camp Crystal Lake. The documentary could be filmed years after the events of the last film and the belief that Jason is dead and gone to have him show up as the special guest during the proceedings. Sounds a bit too much like Halloween Resurrection though.
Also sounds like the plot for one of those terrible young adult Friday the 13th novels released in the 90's. This movie sounds so terrible though. You know that your off to a bad start when the producer says "We don't know if we're even going to bother to put Jason in it". Watch us get some garbage like a bunch of teens go to Crystal Lake and a copycat killer strikes.
Old 01-13-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found footage sounds like an appropriate box to put Jason in. I'll go see it. I can't imagine it being worse than some of the past films.
Old 01-13-14, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can deal with them going all found footage, but if they don't have Jason...forget it.
Old 01-13-14, 09:20 PM
Suspended

I wonder if they'd use a GoPro camera when he went to space.

Also when if when he went to Manhattan all the killings were caught on security cameras. Meh, who am I kidding, I'll watch it when it's on Starz. $8 in the theater, nope.
Old 04-15-14, 01:38 PM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

Genre veteran David Bruckner, who wrote and directed the “Amateur Night” segment of “V/H/S,” is in negotiations to direct the “Friday the 13th” reboot for Paramount and Platinum Dunes, TheWrap has learned.

Paramount had no comment.

Platinum Dunes principals Brad Fuller and Andrew Form are producing with Michael Bay.

While plot details aren't necessarily under wraps — expect a bunch of good-looking teenagers to die in grisly ways — it's unclear what approach Bruckner plans to take with the reboot, or how it will incorporate the Jason Voorhees/Camp Crystal Lake mythology.

It's also unclear whether “Friday the 13th” will employ a found-footage approach. If so, Bruckner would be a wise choice, as his “V/H/S” segment “Amateur Night” follows three guys who bring a mysterious girl back to their motel room, where terror strikes.

Bruckner previously co-wrote and co-directed the 2007 horror film “The Signal,” and he has also been working on the home invasion thriller “Intrusion” for producers Doug Davison and David Linde.

Paramount has already picked out the perfect release date for the “Friday the 13th” reboot — Friday, March 13, 2015.

Marcus Nispel (“The Texas Chainsaw Massacre”) directed the 2009 “Friday the 13th” reboot, which did not merit a sequel.

Bruckner is repped by WME, Gotham Group and attorney Michael Schenkman.
http://www.thewrap.com/friday-the-13...david-bruckner
Old 04-15-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved The Signal, so Bruckner is a solid choice (even if Jacob Gentry directed the stronger segment in the film).

However, the found footage angle still sucks.
Old 04-15-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You know I'm warming up to this now. Not because I'm necessarily excited for it, but because I'm desperate to see some type of horror movie in theaters that isn't trying to be Insidious or The Conjuring.
Old 04-15-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Every story everywhere on the internet has said the found footage angle sucks. And, yet, at the end of the day Fuller & Form are going to extract their heads from each others asses and vomit up some garbage about how their film has an "exciting new approach" to found footage that they think fans will "just love".
Old 04-15-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robin2099
Watch us get some garbage like a bunch of teens go to Crystal Lake and a copycat killer strikes.
Again?

Last edited by dugan; 04-15-14 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-15-14, 07:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

what was wrong with the first reboot? i thought it was good campy fun. i loved it.
Old 04-15-14, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by islandclaws
Every story everywhere on the internet has said the found footage angle sucks. And, yet, at the end of the day Fuller & Form are going to extract their heads from each others asses and vomit up some garbage about how their film has an "exciting new approach" to found footage that they think fans will "just love".
And I'm sure people will flock to see it in droves. What all of us on the Internet think has zero bearing on a film's financial success. I stopped deluding myself about that a long time ago.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.