Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Road House - remake (2024, D: Liman) S: Gyllenhaal

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-13, 10:53 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrible movie to be remade by terrible director

MGM is remaking the 1989 movie that starred Patrick Swayze and Kelly Lynch

MGM has tapped Rob Cohen to direct its upcoming remake of the 1989 Patrick Swayze movie “Road House,” TheWrap has learned.

Rowdy Herrington directed the original film, which was produced by Joel Silver. Kelly Lynch co-starred alongside Sam Elliott and Ben Gazzara.

The original “Road House” followed a tough bouncer with a mysterious past who is hired to tame a dirty bar in Missouri.

Also read: Justin Timberlake in Talks to Produce ‘The Idolmaker’ Remake for MGM (Exclusive)

Michael Stokes wrote the script for the “Road House” remake. He also wrote Millennium Films’ action movie “Crash Bandits,” which is another project that Cohen has been developing as a director.

Matt Dines is expected oversee the “Road House” remake for MGM, which has been keen to exploit its library titles in recent years.

“Road House” grossed over $30 million at the domestic box office and earned a cult following thanks to home video and cable.

Cohen is a veteran action director who is responsible for launching the “Fast and the Furious” franchise. His other genre credits include “Daylight,” “xXx” and “The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.”

Also Read: Rob Cohen to Direct Most Expensive Korean Film Ever

Cohen most recently directed the Tyler Perry vehicle “Alex Cross” and he’s currently working on Blumhouse’s thriller “The Boy Next Door,” which finds Jennifer Lopez having an affair with her teenage neighbor.

Cohen is represented by WME and attorney Michael Schenkman.
http://www.thewrap.com/road-house-re...n-fast-furious

Ans since it seems festive...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2ZyJCV_dyug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-23-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: "Roadhouse" remake in the works

Justin Timberlake will be brilliant as the lead.
Old 11-23-13, 11:50 PM
Suspended

I was thinking Taylor Lautner.
Old 11-23-13, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-24-13, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I doubt it will even be as good as the sequel. Roadhouse 2 is the most unintentionally funny movie I've seen in some time.
Old 11-24-13, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Will Swayze be back in cameo?
Old 11-24-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Don Swayze was in the original?
Old 11-24-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't even wheel out my tired Rob Cohen joke for this thread.
Old 11-24-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Terrible movie
Bite your tongue. Roadhouse was one of the best action movies to come out in the 80's.

remade by terrible director
Can't argue that point. The only movie he ever did I enjoyed was Dragon:TBLS.

Honestly this will suck. A large part of what made the first movie a success was Swayze, the rest of the cast, and the great and brutal fight choreography. I can't see them matching that.

On another note, does Patrick Swayze hold the record for most in development remakes? He has this, a Point Break remake, a Dirty Dancing remake, and Red Dawn a couple years ago.
Old 11-24-13, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Well, at least with Rob Cohen on board, by the fourth or fifth movie, it'll be a good series.
Old 11-24-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Well, at least with Rob Cohen on board, by the fourth or fifth movie, it'll be a good series.

I can't wait for Roadhou5e, directed by Justin Lin and co-starring the Rock.
Old 11-24-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp

I can't wait for Roadhou5e, directed by Justin Lin and co-starring the Rock.
I would watch that movie
Old 11-25-13, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Road House is about as close as we'll get to a modern-day western. It's full of great fights, showdowns and men who are the law in lawless lands. It's also fucking terrible. Its nostalgia has its charm and its cheesiness is hilarious, but no-one could ever legitimately say it was a great film. Yes, it does everything it sets out to do, ticking off all the boxes. So does any can of coke.

I love Road House, of course. How can you hate it? It's a silly, messy film filled with brawls and idiocy. Even the director's name is "Rowdy".

If someone wants to remake it, let 'em. I can't imagine it will be worth much, and I'll still have my original.
Old 11-25-13, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
I was thinking Taylor Lautner.
He will probably want a more brooding actor like Robert Pattinson. Well since Rob Cohen ripped off Point Break with The Fast and the Furious, there is no way it wont suck. It will probably be PG-13, no boobs, no bloody bar fights or throats getting ripped, no comedy from it being homo-erotic. Most important of all no modern male actor is even close to the bad ass that was Patrick Swayze.
Old 11-25-13, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

RIP Patrick Swayze and Ben Gazzara
Old 11-25-13, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Road House is about as close as we'll get to a modern-day western. It's full of great fights, showdowns and men who are the law in lawless lands. It's also fucking terrible. Its nostalgia has its charm and its cheesiness is hilarious, but no-one could ever legitimately say it was a great film.

I love Road House, of course. How can you hate it? It's a silly, messy film filled with brawls and idiocy. Even the director's name is "Rowdy".

If someone wants to remake it, let 'em. I can't imagine it will be worth much, and I'll still have my original.
It is the best movie of Patrick Swayze's career, one of my favorite movies of the 80s, and no one will ever be able to top its greatness with this sure to be shitty remake.
Old 11-25-13, 04:57 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
It is the best movie of Patrick Swayze's career, one of my favorite movies of the 80s, and no one will ever be able to top its greatness with this sure to be shitty remake.
No way, his performance in Donnie Darko is the best of his career.
Old 11-25-13, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
No way, his performance in Donnie Darko is the best of his career.
He was the only thing I liked about Donnie Darko.

He was also lots of fun in Black Dog.
Old 11-25-13, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

There's a baffling line in the OP (in an already bizarre thread)
Rob Cohen is set to direct the most expensive film in the history of the Korean film industry.
...that made me go to the link PenguinJoe provided and I found this:

http://www.thewrap.com/deal-central/...ilm-ever-29587

Cohen, the director of adrenaline-jolting movies like "The Fast and the Furious" and "XXX," will make "1950," a film set in the Korean War with a budget of $100 million. CJ E&M Pictures of Korea and Grapevine Entertainment are producing it along with Brett Donowho and executive producer Paul Hudson.

It's based on the dispatches of Marguerite Higgins, then the Tokyo bureau chief for the New York Herald Tribune. Higgins was initially barred from covering the conflict by the US Army because she was a woman, but General Douglas MacArthur later gave her permission in a significant moment for female journalists.

It follows Higgins’ journey across the Korean peninsula with a platoon of marines, ending with the mass evacuation on Christmas Eve of nearly 200,000 South Korean civilians escaping the oncoming Chinese and North Korean armies.

Production is slated to begin in May of 2012 with a release date the following Spring.
Okay, now it's not so baffling.
Old 11-25-13, 10:53 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Pain don't hurt but this shit is not gonna don't hurt good.

and Point Break was Swayze's best.
Old 11-25-13, 11:04 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
He already appeared in the sequel..."Ghost."
Old 11-25-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

There better be some throat ripping out or NO SALE!
Old 11-26-13, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have started to think about it some more, and the only person who could be believable as Dalton would be Jason Statham.
Old 09-09-15, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Ronda Rousey to Star in MGM’s Reimagining of ‘Road House’ (EXCLUSIVE)
September 9, 2015 | 08:59AM PT
Justin Kroll
Film Reporter @krolljvar

UFC fighter Ronda Rousey is building up her acting slate following another dominating victory and the announcement that she would be starring in a movie based on her autobiography for Paramount.

After passionately pursuing the project for some time, MGM has decided to move forward with a new take on 1980s action pic “Road House,” with Rousey expected to step into the role Patrick Swayze made famous.

Sources say MGM is currently meeting with writers to pen the script with with no shortage of scirbes getting in line for the opportunity to do so.

Released in 1989, the original pic starred Patrick Swayze as a bouncer hired to clean up one of the rowdiest, loudest bars in Missouri, The Double Deuce. A gentleman with a degree in philosophy, his calm is put to the test when he needs to protect the town from a corrupt businessman.

Production is set to begin in 2016.

The film became a breakout hit and still has a cult following today. Given MGM’s interest in rebooting some of its classics (the “Rocky” spin-off “Creed” bows in November), a “Road House” retelling felt right for the studio.

Rousey thought the idea of starring in a remake was a great idea but wanted to be respectful when pursuing the project. Sources say Rousey recently reached out to Swayze’s widow, Lisa Niemi, to ask for her blessing to star in the remake, which insiders say Niemi gladly gave.

Based on the physicality of Swayze’s performance, Rousey’s experience in mixed martial arts makes her a clear choice for the role.

The project would mark her biggest job to date, since the property carries such a large following. This will be the fourth project being specifically developed for Rousey to star in, following her biopic “My Fight/Your Fight” at Paramount, “The Athena Project” at Warner Bros. and the STX action pic “Mile 22,” which has Pete Berg on board to direct with production set to start in February which will follow her next fight against Holly Holm on Nov. 14.

Rousey has already had a busy year at the cinema, appearing in “Furious 7” and the “Entourage” movie after a cameo in last year’s “The Expendables 3.”

She is repped by WME and attorney David Feldman.
Interesting. Ronda Dalton. I guess I can see it.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wHqLvyPyx3U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-09-15, 11:27 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Rousey thought the idea of starring in a remake was a great idea but wanted to be respectful when pursuing the project. Sources say Rousey recently reached out to Swayze’s widow, Lisa Niemi, to ask for her blessing to star in the remake, which insiders say Niemi gladly gave.
Well... that was nice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.