Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Road House - remake (2024, D: Liman) S: Gyllenhaal

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Road House - remake (2024, D: Liman) S: Gyllenhaal

Old 09-15-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts
Re: "Roadhouse" remake in the works

I don't care for Roadhouse, I don't care for a remake of it either w/ or w/o Rousey, and I like Swayze cuz he's cool.

You must have a super small penis or been shunned by women so much at some point that anything that adds a woman to a "mix" immediately sets you off. It isn't the first time I've seen you throwing out feminism. Not sure you really know wtf that is. You're like really insecure, mate.
I haven't been on a date in more than ten years, I don't hate women, but the current feminist trends are rooted in Misandry, that has led to the rise of MRAs and MGTOWs. When men are constantly blamed for society's problems, that's a war on men.

This isn't a feminist agenda. It's merely a who's hot right now type of deal. Rousey is crazy popular right now, cuz she is an asskicker. So kudos to her on that. Not so much to her acting though.
She seems cool about it, and I have never seen a UFC fight, but I don't believe she is right for the role.

Ghostbusters isn't a Feminist agenda film either. It's just stupid Feig type of casting/ideas. Mad Max 4 wasn't crying something along those lines either.

You've some real issues w/ certain elements w/ women in film.
I would have no problem with if one or two of the ghostbusters were women, but the whole cast makes it feel gimmicky, and act like there was a problem with the first two movies. I have come around on Mad Max Fury Road, because Max and Furiosa are pretty equal in the movie. I am worried about the next Star Wars movie if the female character in the movie is the lead, and dark side is a metaphor of some kind of oppression. They are going to piss off everyone for a franchise that has appealed mostly to nerdy guys.
Old 09-15-15, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Re: "Roadhouse" remake in the works

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
You coudl make an action movie today with all of the excess that was a part of the 80s, and it could find an audience. SJWs need to learn that if you dont like you dont have to watch it, and leave us alone for us that do.
It's already been pointed out, but holy shit - can you just take your own advice and not watch the remake?

I haven't been on a date in more than ten years, I don't hate women, but the current feminist trends are rooted in Misandry, that has led to the rise of MRAs and MGTOWs. When men are constantly blamed for society's problems, that's a war on men.
Since men are more or less in charge of society, who should be blamed for those problems?
Old 09-15-15, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Roadhouse remake in the works - S: Ronda Rousey

She seems cool about it, and I have never seen a UFC fight, but I don't believe she is right for the role.

I would have no problem with if one or two of the ghostbusters were women, but the whole cast makes it feel gimmicky, and act like there was a problem with the first two movies. I have come around on Mad Max Fury Road, because Max and Furiosa are pretty equal in the movie. I am worried about the next Star Wars movie if the female character in the movie is the lead, and dark side is a metaphor of some kind of oppression. They are going to piss off everyone for a franchise that has appealed mostly to nerdy guys.

Jesus. You really got some issues. Which SW film? The main series or the spin off one?

I've not issue w/ a woman leading a SW film. If anything. SW was a mostly safe white male spectacular. Sure you had the coolest black motherfucker to make up for racial loss in SW to about in ESB but still. Then for me as a kid I thought it was super cool that Jame Earl Jones was Luke's dad only to find out it was some white crusty motherfucker in RoTJ. You know what I give a fuck about for a SW film? That's it a good movie cuz most of SW is shit. Sure it's popular but how much of it is honest to fucking white baby jesus...Good? How much of SW is good? VERY FUCKING LITTLE of it when compared to the volume of the property. Guess what? Women ended up liking the shit guys originally were into. Whose fault is that? Men. HOLY SHIT. CONSPIRACY!

When the first trailer for VII came out. I thought it was great that they should a new generation of progression in films by having it be a black guy, an hispanic, guy, and a white girl. And then the Falcon. That's a lot more exciting than seeing another white savior of universe fantasy. It's not a white man's world anymore. It's world of many visual variety in the bodies.

Men kind of destroyed and created the world. So.... yeah. We're kind of cultural problem. We're actually getting better in sharing the world but we've issues as a culture. Then hit some cultural/social/religious cultures and then you've some grand problems. Women are still a 2nd citizen. Don't play that they aren't. They are. Most of the culture may not think so but they are.

Then you've women who have totally risen beyond the gender sex in their careers that they (for the most part) aren't affected by gender politics. You seem wildly uneducated and disillusioned in feeling like you're a minority issue. Boo fucking hoo. You're a man. You got it better just by being born than the other gender. Heaven forbid you're white and then you've got it a shit ton better than anybody else who isn't that. So get the fuck out w/ your sexist BS. "I don't hate women, but..." WTF. BUT? So you've some grand issues there, mate.

Figure out how fucked up you are before you even dare fucking tread on gender issues.

US Film has grown w/ the culture, not without still ingrained issues, but it's gotten better. It's not a man's world anymore. That's a good thing. Don't think you're being ostracized. You're not.

You must very weak to think you're being put on a gender. GTFO. Jesus Titty Fuckin' Christ.
Old 09-19-15, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the problem with the whole "women wound up liking X" argument is that it's a little redundant. Does sci-fi and fantasy somehow have a hold on a male fanbase? Why is a woman liking it abnormal? I heard that a lot: "She's a woman who's into comics. She's a woman who like Star Trek. She's a woman who likes horror films and anime." What gives? Are women only supposed to like romantic comedies or something? I mean, a woman can like anything she wants, women are people too, it's not like they're weird and mysterious and a different species or something. They're people like anyone else.

The only things I've seen Rousey in have convinced me that even for a martial arts star, she's a pretty bad actress, but hey, the sum requirements for this role are beating people up, and I'm sure she'll excel at that.

I haven't been on a date in more than ten years.
Neither have I, but I perceive that as a fault of myself, not women.
Old 09-19-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Firday the 13th reboot got made with plenty of nudity.
Yeah, because it was produced by Michael Bay, who considers that to be the only thing women are good for.
Old 09-19-15, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am only going to respond to a few of these comments and thats it. Two of my biggest guilty pleasures are romantic comedies and Hallmark movies. You wont see me complaining why arent any of the leads guys, becuase I know I am not the primary audience. If any women who are fans of action movies or some sports should show the same respect. There isnt anything sexist in saying some feminism is rooted in Misandry, its absolutely true. Type in Anita Sarkisean on youtube she created phony outrage over sexism in the video game industry when she isnt a video game fan. Then in her bechdel test video criticizes best picture winners solely because women arent in lead roles. I know not being able to get a date isnt the fault of any woman, its all on me. I know who I am as a person, and its not what any of you may think of me here. In closing I will wait and see on a traiiler for the Road house remake. That is all.
Old 09-20-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

It's probably silly to continue on with, but half the leads of almost every romantic comedy are male. That's kind of the formula.
Old 09-20-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I am only going to respond to a few of these comments and thats it. Two of my biggest guilty pleasures are romantic comedies and Hallmark movies. You wont see me complaining why arent any of the leads guys, becuase I know I am not the primary audience. If any women who are fans of action movies or some sports should show the same respect. There isnt anything sexist in saying some feminism is rooted in Misandry, its absolutely true. Type in Anita Sarkisean on youtube she created phony outrage over sexism in the video game industry when she isnt a video game fan. Then in her bechdel test video criticizes best picture winners solely because women arent in lead roles. I know not being able to get a date isnt the fault of any woman, its all on me. I know who I am as a person, and its not what any of you may think of me here. In closing I will wait and see on a traiiler for the Road house remake. That is all.
I have one word for this: yikes.
Old 09-20-15, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I think the problem with the whole "women wound up liking X" argument is that it's a little redundant. Does sci-fi and fantasy somehow have a hold on a male fanbase? Why is a woman liking it abnormal? I heard that a lot: "She's a woman who's into comics. She's a woman who like Star Trek. She's a woman who likes horror films and anime." What gives? Are women only supposed to like romantic comedies or something? I mean, a woman can like anything she wants, women are people too, it's not like they're weird and mysterious and a different species or something. They're people like anyone else.

The only things I've seen Rousey in have convinced me that even for a martial arts star, she's a pretty bad actress, but hey, the sum requirements for this role are beating people up, and I'm sure she'll excel at that.

Neither have I, but I perceive that as a fault of myself, not women.
Typically what was a considered a product or whatever w/ a male base was targeted at males for the most part due to whatever grew that. Eventually, though I'm sure it always existed, though the volume of women who liked these typical male things grew and it shifted to where base was varied by that point. What was primarily taken in by male audiences also grew a female audience entering as a base too. It's not just women ended up liking it, in the literal, it was that the base grew to proportions that it somehow made this huge shift to take attention for. As if they almost came out of nowhere to whoever notices these things.

.....uhhhhh....*bites lip*... shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Old 09-20-15, 10:27 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
It's probably silly to continue on with, but half the leads of almost every romantic comedy are male. That's kind of the formula.
True, especially with most theatrical releases, but the men may be minimally used in ads when they're not really big names, while the women are in a lot of the cases.
Old 09-21-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Typically what was a considered a product or whatever w/ a male base was targeted at males for the most part due to whatever grew that. Eventually, though I'm sure it always existed, though the volume of women who liked these typical male things grew and it shifted to where base was varied by that point. What was primarily taken in by male audiences also grew a female audience entering as a base too. It's not just women ended up liking it, in the literal, it was that the base grew to proportions that it somehow made this huge shift to take attention for. As if they almost came out of nowhere to whoever notices these things.
I always thought because it was so male-dominated and stereotypically liked by guys that were nerdy and never had success with women, they found the female presence almost kind of threatening. Look at the vitriol for female-centric stuff like Twilight and 50 Shades. Almost all of the stuff was marketed to make audience for a long time too (look at how they sexualized the hell out of Seven of Nine or T'Pol). Or look at the "CEO of Tits" on HBO who insists on showing boobs in pretty much every show with or without reason.
Old 10-12-15, 06:20 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

After nabbing UFC fighter Ronda Rousey to star in a reboot of Patrick Swayze’s “Road House,” MGM has now found its director.

Sources tell Variety that Nick Cassavetes has closed a deal to write and direct the re-envisioning of the ’80s action classic, with Rousey on board to star and produce.

Rousey is currently in training for her championship fight against Holly Holm on Nov. 14 at UFC 193. Insiders say once the fight is over, the plan is to immediately begin prepping for a fast-tracked shoot in the first quarter of 2016.

Released in 1989, the original film starred Swayze as a bouncer hired to clean up one of the rowdiest, loudest bars in Missouri, The Double Deuce. Swayze’s character is put to the test when he needs to protect the town from a corrupt businessman.

This movie became a breakout hit and maintains a cult following. “Road House” follows MGM’s reboot of another classic; the “Rocky” spinoff “Creed” hits theaters in November.

Cassavetes has directed his fair share of male-focused films like “Alpha Dog” and “John Q,” but sources say it was his skill of writing strong roles for women that was a major selling point for execs, showcased in films like “The Notebook” and “The Other Woman.”

The project would mark Rousey’s biggest acting gig to date. This marks the fourth project being specifically developed for Rousey to star in, following her biopic “My Fight/Your Fight” at Paramount, “The Athena Project” at Warner Bros. and the STX action pic “Mile 22,” which has Pete Berg on board to direct.

Cassavetes is repped by WME, LBI Entertainment and Morris Yorn Barnes Levine Krintzman Rubenstein Kohner & Gellman. Rousey is repped by WME and attorney David Feldman.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ni...ey-1201616027/
Old 10-12-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

His father would be so proud .
Old 10-20-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Road House - remake (2024, D: Liman) S: Gyllenhaal

I'm happy Rhonda Rousey is in the WWE know as it keeps her away from this idea to remake Road House.
Old 10-20-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should try to get Ruby Rose instead.
Old 10-20-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, what they should do is shelve the project.
Old 10-20-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts

No John Doe, no sale
Old 10-20-18, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws
No, what they should do is shelve the project.
This thread has been dead for 3 years. Consider it shelved.
Old 11-10-21, 08:43 PM

EXCLUSIVE: The Double Deuce may finally be reopening its doors. Sources tell Deadline that MGM’s Road House remake is gaining momentum, with Jake Gyllenhaal in talks to star and Doug Liman in talks to direct. When this would go into production is still TBD as Gyllenhaal is about to shoot Guy Ritchie’s The Interpreter and Liman is currently prepping his Everest pic, though insiders add that execs are already meeting with writers to rewrite a previous draft and view the film as a high priority.

Released in 1989, the original film starred Patrick Swayze as Dalton, a bouncer hired to clean up one of the rowdiest, loudest bars in Missouri, The Double Deuce. Swayze’s character is put to the test when he needs to protect the town from a corrupt businessman. The film became an instant hit and is still considered a favorite role among fans of the late Swayze. MGM has been playing around with how to reboot the IP for a while, including an idea of having Ronda Rousey in the lead role; that plan was ultimately shelved.

As for this reboot, its unknown whether it’s a straight remake or a modern take on the material, and its also unknown if Gyllenhaal will be playing the role of Dalton or play a completely new character in that world. Given Liman’s track record of high-speed thrills and action, along with his innovative style with rich and interesting stories, audiences can expect that same fun that the original delivered on. As for Gyllenhaal, the role gives him another fun, physical role to dig his teeth into after recently working with directors like Michael Bay and now Ritchie, both of whom, like Liman, are known for bringing the fireworks to their projects.
https://deadline.com/2021/11/double-...ng-1234871495/
Old 11-10-21, 08:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

This will only work if they bring Kelly Lynch back. And who to take over Swayze’s character? I’m going with Timothée Chalamet.
The following users liked this post:
Brack (11-10-21)
Old 08-02-22, 10:08 AM

Prime Video’s new reimagining of the 1989 classic Road House starring Jake Gyllenhaal is gearing up as it has set Billy Magnussen, Daniela Melchior, Gbemisola Ikumelo, Lukas Gage, Hannah Love Lanier, Travis Van Winkle, B.K. Cannon, Arturo Castro, Dominique Columbus, Beau Knapp and Bob Menery to join the cast. Doug Liman is directing from a script written by Anthony Bagarozzi & Charles Mondry. Joel Silver is producing for his company, Silver Pictures. JJ Hook, Alison Winter, and Aaron Auch will serve as executive producers.

“Road House is a homerun for us. Not only is it a nod to fans of the original, but it is also a big, fun, broad audience movie,” said Jennifer Salke, head of Amazon Studios. “We are thrilled to collaborate with Joel, Doug, and this great cast led by Jake Gyllenhaal, and for them to come together to reimagine the classic MGM film as an action-packed adventure for our global audience.”

The new take follows a former UFC fighter (Gyllenhaal) who takes a job as a bouncer at a rough-and-tumble roadhouse in the Florida Keys, but soon discovers that not everything is what it seems in this tropical paradise.

“I’m thrilled to put my own spin on the beloved Road House legacy. And I can’t wait to show audiences what Jake and I are going to do with this iconic role,” said director Doug Liman.

The Amazon Original Movie is set to go into production in the Dominican Republic this month and will stream on Prime Video in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide at release.

“The original Road House has a special place in my heart and I am so excited to bring this newly imagined version to audiences around the world. Doug and I have each made some big, boisterous action movies and are ready to bring everything we have to this one,” said producer Joel Silver.

Gyllenhaal can next be seen in Guy Ritchie’s upcoming film The Interpreter. Gyllenhaal’s work as a producer is equally noteworthy and his production company Nine Stories has established itself as a force, most recently producing Antoine Fuqua’s The Guilty also starring Gyllenhaal, which was Netflix’s #1 film for over three weeks.

Liman is a film and television director and producer, best known for directing beloved and critically acclaimed films such as Swingers, The Bourne Identity, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, American Made, and Live Die Repeat (Edge Of Tomorrow).
https://deadline.com/2022/08/jake-gy...me-1235083145/
Old 08-02-22, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

"Pain still don't hurt"
Old 08-02-22, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

"It'll get worse before it gets better." And it seems to have done that?
Old 08-02-22, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Yes I believe it has.

Old 08-02-22, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

"I'll Sleep when I'm Dead"

Thankfully, I'm a huge Jake fan so I'm in for this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.