Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Road House - remake (2024, D: Liman) S: Gyllenhaal

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Road House - remake (2024, D: Liman) S: Gyllenhaal

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-15, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: "Roadhouse" remake in the works

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I'll bet feminists everywhere are getting wet over this news, what a load of bullshit. They will not stop until every form of entertainment that appeals solely to guys is completely destroyed.
Uh, what? I don't know where you're getting this, but Rousey is currently one of the biggest stars in the world and is insanely popular with men. Swayze, on the other hand, was the biggest piece of chick-bait alive when Roadhouse came out. I'd be surprised if Swayze's popularity with men was ever at any point at the level of Rousey's current popularity.

She may not be good and the movie will probably suck, but this is absolutely not a case of feminist revision. This is a case of some producer striking while the iron's hot. I'm sure they decided they wanted Rousey in a movie and just flipped through a pile of scripts looking for the best fit.
Old 09-10-15, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
And who to play the important Sam Elliot role ?
Probably Jonah Hill - at least that wouldn't surprise me in this bizarro-world we're living in.
Old 09-10-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Uh, what? I don't know where you're getting this, but Rousey is currently one of the biggest stars in the world and is insanely popular with men. Swayze, on the other hand, was the biggest piece of chick-bait alive when Roadhouse came out. I'd be surprised if Swayze's popularity with men was ever at any point at the level of Rousey's current popularity.

She may not be good and the movie will probably suck, but this is absolutely not a case of feminist revision. This is a case of some producer striking while the iron's hot. I'm sure they decided they wanted Rousey in a movie and just flipped through a pile of scripts looking for the best fit.
Patrick Swayze was really only in two chick flicks, Dirty Dancing and Ghost. His films have stood the test of time, I will always respect who he was as a man and an actor. Road House and Point Break are his best movies, and his films have mostly appealed to guys. I don't see how casting Rousey will work for this remake, and all the elements that worked in the original will not be included. Its hard not to look at this as feminist revisionism of a guy's movie, when the same thing is being done to Ghostbusters.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 09-10-15 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-10-15, 12:34 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I'll bet feminists everywhere are getting wet over this news, what a load of bullshit. They will not stop until every form of entertainment that appeals solely to guys is completely destroyed.
Old 09-10-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Honestly having Rousey in the lead makes it more appealing to me as a guy than the original. Plus the original was never all that good to begin with and has aged horribly.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-10-15 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-10-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it have to be named "Roadhouse"?
Old 09-10-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Does it have to be named "Roadhouse"?
Does it matter in the slightest if it is?
Old 09-10-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Honestly having Rousey in the lead makes it more appealing to me as a guy than the original. Plus the original was never all that good to begin with and has aged horribly.
Wrong, wrong, and wrong. The legion of fans out there will agree with me its one of the best movies ever made.
Old 09-10-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. The legion of fans out there will agree with me its one of the best movies ever made.
Old 09-10-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Certainly not, but it's an endlessly enjoyable movie, and as someone else said, one of the best American action movies of the decade.
Old 09-10-15, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Patrick Swayze was really only in two chick flicks, Dirty Dancing and Ghost. His films have stood the test of time, I will always respect who he was as a man and an actor. Road House and Point Break are his best movies, and his films have mostly appealed to guys. I don't see how casting Rousey will work for this remake, and all the elements that worked in the original will not be included. Its hard not to look at this as feminist revisionism of a guy's movie, when the same thing is being done to Ghostbusters.
Back off, Warchild....

Old 09-10-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

We get a remake but not a sequel to Roadhouse 2
Old 09-13-15, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

No Swayze is a dealbreaker. It wasn't a classic movie or a classic performance, yet somehow this feels akin to recasting Darth Vader with a voice that isn't James Earl Jones. (Even though I assume that will happen once he dies too.)

Swayze Forever.
Old 09-14-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chadm
No Swayze is a dealbreaker. It wasn't a classic movie or a classic performance, yet somehow this feels akin to recasting Darth Vader with a voice that isn't James Earl Jones. (Even though I assume that will happen once he dies too.)

Swayze Forever.
Finally someone agrees with me.
Old 09-14-15, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally someone agrees with me.
I'm sure there's plenty of people who agree with you that this is a bad idea. What I disagree with is the notion that casting Rousey is some sort of feminist plot to ruin action movies for men.

As far as Swayze and his audience appeal, he may have only been in two "chick flicks," but they were far and away the two biggest hits of his career and are the roles for which he will always be most remembered. Roadhouse came out in the wake of Dirty Dancing and while it wasn't a huge success, it made more than the average Swayze vehicle and I have to imagine a good chunk of its BO take was from females looking to get their Swayze fix.

Don't get me wrong, I like Roadhouse for what it is, but let's not pretend it's Citizen Kane or anything. If you don't want to see a remake with Rhonda Rousey, then good on you. But is there really a version of a Roadhouse remake that you would want to see? Just watch the original if you love it so much.
Old 09-15-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What version of a Road House remake do I want to see? A more amped of version of the original. More bloody bar brawls, bad shitty dialogue, good music, and a ton of hot naked women. The lead needs to be a guy for that to work. Unless Rousey plays a lesbian version of Dalton. All of Swayze's movies are guy movies except for Ghost and Dirty Dancing. I place him along with John Wayne and Charles Bronson, as one of the most macho men who ever lived. Any time a movie gets remade and goes from a male to female lead, that is radical feminist revisionism. PERIOD!!!
Old 09-15-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What version of a Road House remake do I want to see? A more amped of version of the original. More bloody bar brawls, bad shitty dialogue, good music, and a ton of hot naked women. The lead needs to be a guy for that to work. Unless Rousey plays a lesbian version of Dalton. All of Swayze's movies are guy movies except for Ghost and Dirty Dancing. I place him along with John Wayne and Charles Bronson, as one of the most macho men who ever lived. Any time a movie gets remade and goes from a male to female lead, that is radical feminist revisionism. PERIOD!!!
So you shave your legs and have a raging hard on for Patrick Swayze...are you sure you aren't gay?
Old 09-15-15, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is also a different time period. I love 80s movies, but they only work in the culture of the time.

Look at 30's Scarface vs 80's Scarface. Same story, but two different movies.

Death Wish exist in the 70's with the culture of urban crime, and those fed up with it. Remake it today and it would not have the same impact, with so many SJW's in our culture.

And with today's current generation in Hollywood, Rousey is one of the few who can fit the bill needed for the part. Unfortunately we are lacking true action stars in today's cinema. The Rock & Jason Statham can not star in everything.

And as far as 'tons of hot naked women' those are just not the movies being made now, again because our culture has changed.
Old 09-15-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You coudl make an action movie today with all of the excess that was a part of the 80s, and it could find an audience. SJWs need to learn that if you dont like you dont have to watch it, and leave us alone for us that do.
Old 09-15-15, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Roadhouse remake in the works - S: Ronda Rousey

The Firday the 13th reboot got made with plenty of nudity.
Old 09-15-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My avatar is a tribute to the legend.
Old 09-15-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I myself have made peace with remakes and reboots. Studios want to make cash and if they feel they can do so with an established name/fanbase it it their right to do so. They own the movies, not us.

And a remake will never replace or make the original film disappear (well sorry Star Wars fans) so a favorite film is not lost forever. Some remakes I have seen, others I have completely ignored.
Old 09-15-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
This is gonna be shit. Not DA shit but just plain 'ole smelly dirty shit.
Old 09-15-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

SJWs need to learn that if you dont like you dont have to watch it, and leave us alone for us that do.
But, of course, that advice can't be applied the other way, right?

If you don't like the idea of a chick version of Road House, there's no A Clockwork Orange device that will make you watch it.
Old 09-15-15, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't care for Roadhouse, I don't care for a remake of it either w/ or w/o Rousey, and I like Swayze cuz he's cool.

You must have a super small penis or been shunned by women so much at some point that anything that adds a woman to a "mix" immediately sets you off. It isn't the first time I've seen you throwing out feminism. Not sure you really know wtf that is. You're like really insecure, mate.

This isn't a feminist agenda. It's merely a who's hot right now type of deal. Rousey is crazy popular right now, cuz she is an asskicker. So kudos to her on that. Not so much to her acting though.

Ghostbusters isn't a Feminist agenda film either. It's just stupid Feig type of casting/ideas. Mad Max 4 wasn't crying something along those lines either.

You've some real issues w/ certain elements w/ women in film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.