Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dirt (2019, D: Jeff Tremaine) -- Motley Crue biopic -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dirt (2019, D: Jeff Tremaine) -- Motley Crue biopic -- Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: The Dirt (2019, D: Jeff Tremaine) -- Motley Crue biopic -- Netflix

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I’m not the biggest fan of “Dr. Feelgood,” though. On paper it’s definitely their strongest album, but it’s missing the raw energy and fuck you attitude they had in their early days. It’s really polished and calculated. It’s like, it had songs your grandmother might have liked.
"Produced by Bob Rock"

Also see: Metallica - Metallica (1991)
Old 03-27-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
"Produced by Bob Rock"

Also see: Metallica - Metallica (1991)
I did like how they don't think highly of Theater of Pain. I think that was their weakest.

If I were to rank them:
Shout at the Devil
Too Fast For Love
Girls, Girls, Girls
Dr. Feelgood
Theater of Pain

I don't really care for Motley Crue, Generation Swine or Saints of Los Angeles.
Old 03-27-19, 04:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a soft spot for Theater of Pain, because it's not only the first Crue album I owned, but one of the first albums I owned, period. Even the worst songs on there feel like hits to my brain because I listened to it so many times as a kid.
Old 03-27-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

When I was in elementary school Theatre of Pain was out and the band looked all glammed out (more so than usual), because when I got older I saw that their earlier visage was more "satanic road warrior" chic. It was a bit of a trip. Then when Girls, Girls, Girls and Dr. Feelgood came out they all looked like bikers sort of.
Old 03-28-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

I get the impression that Nikki Sixx feels Motley Crue were more important or influential than they actually were. I was 10 at the time that Shout At The Devil came out and 12 when Theatre of Pain came out. So I was right in the perfect time of kids listening to this stuff.

And while Motley Crue was popular, they didn't hold a candle to Van Halen, Def Leppard, Ozzy Osbourne, Dokken, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot...hell...even ZZ Top, etc. as far as popularity went in my neck of the woods. Granted I didn't grow up in the L.A. scene but MTV was prevalent and basically what they played ruled with my area at the time.

Sure people dressed like the Crue members back then but so many other bands were dressing the exact same way. The Satanic symbols and stuff were being used long before them so that was nothing new. Other than Vince Neil's unique voice, I never found anything else that distinctive about the Crue's songs or musicianship. I am not saying they were bad players by any means but just there were plenty of other bands that played just as good if not better than them. Their songs were just okay but I would take Pyromania over any of the Crue's albums any day. Everyone has their own taste of course but I just don't remember them being any bigger than a lot of the other backs then.

They lasted a lot longer than many of their peers at the time but does that really make them important or influential?
Old 03-28-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
They lasted a lot longer than many of their peers at the time but does that really make them important or influential?
They were the glam metal pioneers. Would there have been Ratt, Poison, Cinderella, LA Guns, Kix, Warrant.. etc without them establishing themselves with that look? Maybe not. And yes, it really went to the LA scene.
Old 03-28-19, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
They were the glam metal pioneers. Would there have been Ratt, Poison, Cinderella, LA Guns, Kix, Warrant.. etc without them establishing themselves with that look? Maybe not. And yes, it really went to the LA scene.
I always thought that Motley Crue's look was just a lighter, safer rendition (rip-off/homage) of KISS, Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper who both started long before MC.
Old 03-28-19, 11:13 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I don’t think of glam when I think of those bands. It’s not just that they had makeup, but how they wore it, and the lifestyle that went with it, or whatever.
Old 03-29-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Even Slayer wanted to be Motley Crue when they were starting out.