Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dirt (2019, D: Jeff Tremaine) -- Motley Crue biopic -- Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dirt (2019, D: Jeff Tremaine) -- Motley Crue biopic -- Netflix

Old 03-22-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 435 Likes on 315 Posts
Re: The Dirt (2019, D: Jeff Tremaine) -- Motley Crue biopic -- Netflix

^^^I guess I forgot my point I was trying to make. For all the Jackass movies he released longer cuts of each movie. Plus as a band Motley Crue would probably still want to make money off of putting out a bluray with a longer cut of the movie and any extras they might have made for the movie.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 03-22-19 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-22-19, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

So this premiered today & still no comments? No one watched it yet? I plan on watching over the weekend.
Old 03-22-19, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched it and I actually really liked it. They could have included more from the book though but it played out well
Old 03-23-19, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

I know almost nothing about Motley Crue. My friend was really anxious to watch this (mostly because she's a big Brittnay Furlan fan ), so we put it on.

It's well made and entertaining. The performances are terrific. But after ten minutes I was thinking the band must have had a heavy influence on how the script was written, because every scene went out of its way to make them look like geniuses, victims, or martyrs.

There's lots of great works of art told from the point of view of a deplorable person who expects the audience to root for them (anything from Nabokov's Lolita to Scorsese's Goodfellas). But in something like Goodfellas, you can tell the filmmakers are expecting you to judge the characters by who you see them to be, not who they tell you they are. I would have loved to see a movie about a big 1980's rock star band that was honest about their debauchery, was honest about the people who witnessed it, was honest about the people who willingly participated in it.

The best example I can think of to illustrate how the movie manipulates the viewer's allegiance to Motely Crue is the part where they throw a TV out their hotel window onto a car on the street. The band members have all been portrayed as rich, three-dimensional characters, by actors giving excellent performances. But the guy on the street, who they could have killed, performs in a cartoonish manner, like he's on one of the latter day episodes of Married With Children. They're real, everyone else is not.

I think this is also a great sample to throw into the conversation of what is a "movie" and what is "TV". I can't put my finger on exactly what was missing, but it did not seem like a "real movie". It felt like a "TV movie".

And finally I'm delighted that in my lifetime, standards for crudity have dropped so much that the opening shot of a major movie can include a woman ejaculating an arcing stream of squirt!
Old 03-23-19, 04:06 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

It works pretty well as a comedy, the dramatic stuff not so much, but eh, worth watching.
Old 03-23-19, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 435 Likes on 315 Posts

They called Tommy's girlfriend Bullwinkle, the one who squirts in the opening scene of the movie.
Old 03-23-19, 09:56 AM

Received 4,685 Likes on 3,173 Posts

I was entertained. Got a few laughs. It was very sanitised, but that's to be expected. The actors were fine for the most part and a lot of effort went into recreating things as you'll see in the end credits. I think Machine Gun Kelly was the stand out . The Tommy-POV scene was probably the best in the movie.

I thought the delivery of the narration Douglas Booth was giving was really bad. It would've been cool if they actually got the real guys to do the narration instead. I also didn't think the young Nikki/Frank stuff added much.

In the hands of a better director this could've been even better. It looked like a really cheap production. I guess they shot it on digital, but tried adding grain in after the fact?

Is it a good movie? No, not really. But as I said it was entertaining.

This little blurb in the Variety review is accurate:
"As beloved as “Bohemian Rhapsody” was, many Queen fans, including me, found it to be little more than a glorified version of a VH1 original movie, like “Hysteria: The Def Leppard Story” or “Too Legit: The MC Hammer Story.” And judged on that scale, “The Dirt” isn’t even the glorified version. It’s just a thinly written (by Rich Wilkes and Amanda Adelson), generically staged (by Jeff Tremaine, director of the “Jackass” films) VH1-style sketchbook of a movie — which is to say, it’s a Netflix film, with zero atmosphere, overly blunt lighting, and a threadbare post-psychological telegraphed quality that gives you nothing to read between the lines. It’s all on the sensational surface, yet you never completely buy the reality of the settings: the dingy rock clubs and strip bars, the dressing rooms where the halter tops slide off and the lines of coke go up in smoke."
Old 03-23-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,324 Likes on 1,570 Posts

It was ok, not great but not terrible, so let's just say "average". My favorite part was the beginning when they were just starting out, but then again the only Crue albums I really like are the first two, so I guess that makes sense.
Old 03-23-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,147 Likes on 701 Posts

I will agree with the other opinions that this was just average. I thought the performances were pretty good by the actors playing the band since I went in not really convinced from the trailer. Not a whole lot of "shocking" stuff. Some nice boobs here and there but those seem to fade away after the first 45 minutes or so.

I just wish movies like this would give a full three or four hour running time and not mash important parts/people into quick scenes and also not shy away from the subject material.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 03-23-19 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

The movie was fun but runs out of steam in the final act.
Old 03-23-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,324 Likes on 1,570 Posts

From what I've been reading, the timeline of what was going on with Vince's daughter is way out of whack. Artistic license for more dramatic effect I suppose. And yeah, this is a Netflix film, there was no reason why they had to stick to a short running time while telling a story that needed more than that.
Old 03-23-19, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,817 Likes on 1,936 Posts

This really should have been a miniseries. The movie moved really fast and felt like a collection of set pieces (or a really long trailer) and not a cohesive story.
Old 03-23-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

I thought it was great, but yeah a mini-series would've been better.
Old 03-23-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
This really should have been a miniseries. The movie moved really fast and felt like a collection of set pieces (or a really long trailer) and not a cohesive story.
Yeah, I felt it went way too fast. Didn't really give a shit about any of the characters.
Old 03-25-19, 09:35 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
From what I've been reading, the timeline of what was going on with Vince's daughter is way out of whack. Artistic license for more dramatic effect I suppose. And yeah, this is a Netflix film, there was no reason why they had to stick to a short running time while telling a story that needed more than that.
February 1992 - Vince leaves the band

March 1994 - The John Corabi Crue album comes out

August 1995 - His daughter passes away

1997 - The band reunites

I think the timing still technically works for the most part, although they sort of suggest that not much time passed between the last two events and they sort of overlap the middle two a bit. They also leave out that Vince put out 2 solo albums in this span.

One thing they definitely fudged is getting dropped by Elektra. The film suggests this happened after the Corabi album, but the first reunion album with Vince (1997's Generation Swine) was on Elektra.
Old 03-25-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 750 Likes on 548 Posts

Lip sync was terrible. I'll give Machine Gun Kelly credit for having all of Tommy's mannerisms. The timeline was as accurate as it could have been. The little girl that played Skylar had the best performance out of everyone.
Old 03-26-19, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Lip sync was terrible. I'll give Machine Gun Kelly credit for having all of Tommy's mannerisms. The timeline was as accurate as it could have been. The little girl that played Skylar had the best performance out of everyone.

Agree about the little girl. Ugh what a mess this was. The first 30 minutes were OK. Then completely dropped off a cliff. They played it safe with the movie that is for sure. OK to see once but that is about it. Pretty standard rock movie.
Old 03-26-19, 06:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Speaking of timeline inaccuracies, one that I noticed was during the scene with Ozzy at the motel pool. Doc McGhee is naming off some of the bands he's managed, and he mentions Skid Row. That scene would have taken place on Ozzy's 1984 World Tour, and McGhee didn't start managing Skid Row until 1988.
Old 03-26-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The whole timeline is not even close to accurate. So don't worry. It is a mess. Pretty sad because they helped make it. No wonder no studio felt it was worth making or release. It would have bombed hard...
Old 03-26-19, 07:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I saw 20 minutes of it. Thatís enough for me. Nothing we havenít seen that Spinal Tap didnít already cover 30 years earlier.
Old 03-26-19, 07:57 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It was okay. I was entertained a bit. Their story is a good one, so even if incompetently told its interesting to watch it.

The movie apes Scorsese’s biopic narrator style in a very clumsy way. But the movie this most steals from is 24 Hour Party People. The repeated gags where characters break the fourth wall telling the audience directly that something didn’t happen, or like the guy who was writen out of the film and he promptly disappears before our eyes. It’s all clever, but they are ripping off better films

Last edited by Mabuse; 03-26-19 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
The whole timeline is not even close to accurate. So don't worry. It is a mess. Pretty sad because they helped make it. No wonder no studio felt it was worth making or release. It would have bombed hard...
I think the filmmakers were probably worried about the timeline at first, but then they said "Hey, it worked for Bohemian Rhapsody and everyone loved it. Fuck it."
Old 03-26-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 571 Likes on 356 Posts

I always thought the four guys from Motley Crue were shitty human beings. Then I read their book The Dirt and found they were even shittier human beings than I had realized. I don't need to see a movie about them being shitty human beings.

I still love Too Fast For Love, Shout At The Devil, Theater Of Pain, Girls Girls Girls and Dr. Feelgood.
Old 03-27-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing the movie got right is Theater of Pain was a pretty poor album. Girls Girls Girls and Dr. Feelgood was a good way to go out.
Old 03-27-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,817 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
One thing the movie got right is Theater of Pain was a pretty poor album. Girls Girls Girls and Dr. Feelgood was a good way to go out.
Itís generally a bad sign when your lead-off single is a cover.

But, yeah, ďTheatre of Pain,Ē is a pretty unremarkable album, aside from ďHome Sweet Home.Ē

Iím not the biggest fan of ďDr. Feelgood,Ē though. On paper itís definitely their strongest album, but itís missing the raw energy and fuck you attitude they had in their early days. Itís really polished and calculated. Itís like, it had songs your grandmother might have liked.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.