Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Slant Magazine's 100 Greatest Horror Films Of All Time

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Slant Magazine's 100 Greatest Horror Films Of All Time

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Slant Magazine's 100 Greatest Horror Films Of All Time

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Still don't get the love for The Conjuring.
I have not seen any of his films but, is James Wan that good? The reason I ask is because there are people out there up in arms because he said that he is done with horror. Next up for him : Fast & Furious 7.
Old 11-04-13, 03:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think he's wildly overrated, but I'm in the minority.
Old 11-04-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I thought Insidious, The Conjuring, and Insidious 2 were all great. I hated Saw so I think he's grown a lot as a filmmaker. I think Horror is a fairly subjective genre, like comedy. What one person finds scary may put another person to sleep.
Old 11-04-13, 04:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Insidious has a great premise and a good first hour, but the ending was a total carnival - throw in the kitchen sink filmmaking overkill - it just made my eyes rolls into the back of my head.
Old 11-04-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I've always thought the original Evil Dead was far superior to the sequel.
Old 11-04-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I've always thought the original Evil Dead was far superior to the sequel.
Gotta also agree with that.
Old 11-04-13, 05:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Sorry, I shouldn't have written "in fact". I just feel very strongly about The Exorcist being not scary. I know many people love the film and find it terrifying, and I don't wish to gainsay their very real feelings.
Excluding Spoorlos (The Vanishing), which I feel is not horror but would be #1 if it were, my top three are not very surprising:

1. Black Christmas (1974) 10/10 - It's not without small flaws, namely the otiose comedic sidelines involving the boozing housemother and the inept cop, but no other horror film is as downright atmospheric. One can feel every bone-chilling shiver of the wintry cold outside and the contrasting woozy comfort of the fireplace-warmed house...where the killer lurks. Reg Morris's panning, dollying, zooming, slinking camerawork is virtuosic, and Carl Zittrer's foreboding rumble of a piano score is one of the very best in horror.

2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) 9.5/10 - It's also not perfect: I feel the opening hitchhiker scene is too protracted, and so is the manic closing dinner scene, but there's so much gritty, grimy greatness throughout, it's hard to complain. The very beginning, with the radio news report, abrupt photo flash-cuts to rotting effluvia accompanied by disturbing discordant music tones, and the credits sequence of solar flares set to Hooper's phenomenal music, is nothing short of masterful.
The film's strongest section is almost irrefutably its extended middle, when the youngsters, having arrived at their relatives' dilapidated farmhouse, head out unawares in pairs to the charnel house nearby looking for help, only to be grotesquely despatched. Then, as night falls, Sally and her invalid brother, Franklin, are on their own, calling out frantically to their friends, with Leatherface and his fuming chainsaw prowling nearby. The chase sequence with Sally seeing Franklin slaughtered, running to the house and upstairs only to face cadaverous Grandma and Grandpa, jumping from the second floor, running injured, and finally ending up at Jim Siedow's gas station/meat-smoker, is in the running for best single passage in the horror canon.

3. Halloween (1978) 9.5/10 - I consider this the scariest movie I have seen in terms of the number and quality of jump-scares and the generation of dread. Dean Cundey's cinematography cannot go unrecognized, nor can Carpenter's iconic music and terrifying sound effects.

I would prefer not to do a runners-up list, though there are so many great horror films, especially much lesser-known ones, that are in the same league as the above and deserve a mention.
Acting, make-up, cinematography The Exorcist blows your 3 away.
Box-office says the majority of the world likes The Exorcist more than your 3 picks. Your picks is like you trying to tell me William Shatner, Telly Savalas and Tupac are better actors than Marlon Brando.
Old 11-04-13, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Still don't get the love for The Conjuring.
Same here. I like most of the actors involved, but thought the finished product was thoroughly mediocre -- like a bad direct to cable movie aimed at the "Ghost Hunters" crowd. I guess I was expecting something far more frightening given the positive reviews and box office. The climax was eye-rollingly silly for a film advertised as "inspired by actual events". Probably didn't help that I was familiar with Ed and Lorraine Warren from the Amityville case and consider them bullshit artists of the first order. I thought Insidious was a much more effective horror movie.
Old 11-04-13, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

While I really liked both Insidious and The Conjuring I can see why others wouldn't care for them. Like DaveyJoe said a few posts above, horror films are extremely subjective. What gets to the psyche of one person might not affect another person at all. To me, haunted houses/ghost/possession movies are far scarier than a slasher or monster movie.
Old 11-04-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
It basically kicked off the "found footage" genre in the US, so you can extra hate it!
I always felt it was reality TV that was more to "blame" for the glut of found footage films, rather than The Blair Witch Project (although I like BWP a lot, so I'm obviously biased).

If people were trying to capitalize on Blair Witch's success, they would have rolled out those movies in late '99, 2000 at the latest. There is never a delay when they're trying to rip off a successful movie, especially with something as cost-efficient as found footage. Tying found footage films like Paranormal Activity et al into The Blair Witch Project would be like a world where there was no slasher film craze in the early 80s, then Friday the 13th finally comes out in like 1987, and people would say "oh, it's just a ripoff of Halloween".
Old 11-04-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Acting, make-up, cinematography The Exorcist blows your 3 away.
Box-office says the majority of the world likes The Exorcist more than your 3 picks. Your picks is like you trying to tell me William Shatner, Telly Savalas and Tupac are better actors than Marlon Brando.
OK, well I'm sure I'm grateful to have you here to set me straight, vw hopelez.
Old 11-04-13, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
OK, well I'm sure I'm grateful to have you here to set me straight, vw hopelez.

Of all people to come to the defense of The Exorcist...it's the lopez.

Norm, I'm sorry I brought it up.

Nice top three BTW and a good summation.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my favorite horror film....followed of course by The Exorcist.
Old 11-04-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz

Of all people to come to the defense of The Exorcist...it's the lopez.

Norm, I'm sorry I brought it up.

Nice top three BTW and a good summation.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my favorite horror film....followed of course by The Exorcist.
Thanks, friend. The lopez may be one of DVDTalk's resident jokes, but he/she did cause me to give pause in stating my opinion as fact. One should never do that, and I usually don't. Art is so utterly subjective.
Good to see another fan of TCM, and if you have The Exorcist as #2, I can certainly respect that.
Old 11-05-13, 12:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as horror films go, Insidious may be one of the largest pieces of shit i've ever sat through... twice.

The Conjuring actually looks good though. it seems to take itself a little more seriously. i'll probably watch it real soon.
Old 11-05-13, 12:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember seeing a beat up 16mm print of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on Halloween night with a crowd full of college kids. One of the better film-going experiences of my life.
Old 11-05-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember seeing a beat up 16mm print of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on Halloween night with a crowd full of college kids. One of the better film-going experiences of my life.
Because I didn't hate you enough, just in this thread?! I did finally get to see it on the big screen at a midnight show in a college town the week before Halloween, I was pretty jazzed. The experience itself was fun, but they were just projecting it off of a DVD, it didn't look great. Was disappointed as hell. Was kind of cool to have intelligent people to talk to though, kindred spirits. Was TCM shot on 16mm? Was is its OAR?
Old 11-05-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Was TCM shot on 16mm?
Yes.
Old 11-05-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I remember seeing a beat up 16mm print of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre....
That's how I saw it in the 80's when it was re-released theatrically by New Line Cinema who had just acquired the rights.
Old 11-05-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
William Shatner, Telly Savalas and Tupac are better actors than Marlon Brando.
Sigworthy...
Old 11-05-13, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
That's how I saw it in the 80's when it was re-released theatrically by New Line Cinema who had just acquired the rights.
I swear to God, I was born too late .
Old 11-10-13, 09:42 PM

About a third of these aren't even "horror films." They are thrillers which have scary/intense moments.

I don't even consider "slasher" films like TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE to be "horror." "Terror" films, yes. The horror genre to me includes truly supernatural elements, or monsters that do not fall into the science-fiction genre (DRACULA, etc.).

If they'd stop arbitrarily throwing non-horror films into these lists, it would open up a lot more slots for the legitimate ones.

Anyway, everyone here probably has a slightly different idea of what constitutes "horror" and what does and does not belong on this list, and my opinions are no more correct than anyone else's.
Old 11-10-13, 10:18 PM

What about Salem's Lot?

The window pecking scene and the glowing eyes in the teachers guest room.
Both scenes use to scary me as a kid.
Old 11-10-13, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dick
I don't even consider "slasher" films like TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE to be "horror." "Terror" films, yes. The horror genre to me includes truly supernatural elements, or monsters that do not fall into the science-fiction genre (DRACULA, etc.).
I guess everyone embraces slightly different definitions, but I suspect you're going to find very few people who agree with your contention that T.C.M. is not a horror film. I've never heard of horror requiring the supernatural.
Old 11-11-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_film

Horror is a film genre seeking to elicit a negative emotional reaction from viewers by playing on the audience's primal fears. Horror films often feature scenes that startle the viewer; the macabre and the supernatural are frequent themes. Thus they may overlap with the fantasy, supernatural, and thriller genres.

Horror films often deal with the viewer's nightmares, hidden fears, revulsions and terror of the unknown. Plots within the horror genre often involve the intrusion of an evil force, event, or personage, commonly of supernatural origin, into the everyday world. Prevalent elements include ghosts, vampires, werewolves, demons, vicious animals, monsters, zombies, cannibals, and serial killers. Conversely, movies about the supernatural are not necessarily always horrific.
Old 11-11-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick
Anyway, everyone here probably has a slightly different idea of what constitutes "horror" and what does and does not belong on this list, and my opinions are no more correct than anyone else's.
You're right. Your opinion of what constitutes as horror is more wrong. By thinking that horror requires only the supernatural, you close yourself off. I get that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but there is a general understanding that horror can encompass slasher, supernatural, thriller, sci-fi, etc. There's opinion and then there's just flat out denying the definition of horror.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.