Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rocketman (2019, D: Fletcher) S: Taron Egerton -- Elton John musical fantasy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rocketman (2019, D: Fletcher) S: Taron Egerton -- Elton John musical fantasy

Old 05-02-19, 12:31 PM

re: Rocketman (2019, D: Fletcher) S: Taron Egerton -- Elton John musical fantasy

Fandango Early Access screenings on May 18th:
https://www.fandango.com/fandango-ea...71/movie-times
Old 05-03-19, 12:34 PM

Re: Rocketman (2019, D: Fletcher) S: Taron Egerton -- Elton John musical fantasy

Old 05-03-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Rocketman (2019, D: Fletcher) S: Taron Egerton -- Elton John musical fantasy

I'm kind of meh on this movie to be honest. Never been a huge Elton John fan although I do like "I guess that's why they call it the blues" And I'm tired of the trailers.

I just got sick of his music after how badly played out The Lion King soundtrack got back in the 90s. I think I'm going to pass on this one to be honest.
Old 05-03-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Judging by the trailer and the soundtrack selections this seems to be focusing on '70s Elton, which is the seminal period.
Old 05-03-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
Judging by the trailer and the soundtrack selections this seems to be focusing on '70s Elton, which is the seminal period.
It feels like there's a joke to be made in there somewhere...
Old 05-03-19, 04:37 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

good job Eggsy. they really want folks to know he's singing for real unlike Rami.
Old 05-16-19, 05:13 PM

This just premiered at Cannes and was received with a big standing ovation. Some reviews are starting to drop: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rocketman_2019

I may try and go to the early screening on Saturday, but not sure if I'll have time.
Old 05-16-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pulling for this film as I think Fletcher kind of got the shaft with Bohemian Rhapsody. Even so, as I said in another thread : Rock biopics do nothing for me because there's all the same and the tropes are so well established by now.
Old 05-16-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glad to finally see Egerton in another great film. Ever since the first "Kingsman", his film choices have been crap. Really like the kid. Hope he gets a new agent soon. And if this film is not forgotten come awards time, he might be looking at a few Best Actor nominations. Will also help his career.
Old 05-19-19, 12:26 PM

Terrific film, imho. Saw it last night and the whole audience loved it. Much better than Bohemian. This is much more Ken Russel or Bob Fosse theatrical. A true musical, I could see this going to Broadway.
Old 05-20-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A musical?
About a living musician?

I just burped thru my nose...
Old 05-30-19, 07:34 AM

Opens this weekend. Reviews are still holding strong. Currently at 90% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rocketman_2019

I'll be seeing it either tomorrow or Saturday.
Old 05-31-19, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by faust69 View Post
Terrific film, imho. Saw it last night and the whole audience loved it. Much better than Bohemian. This is much more Ken Russel or Bob Fosse theatrical. A true musical, I could see this going to Broadway.
Absolutely. Way better than Bohemian. Egerton was fantastic and sings his stuff. There are scenes where he was a spitting image of Elton.

My only critique is I didn't think the relationships were that fleshed out. He gets involved with Reid, dumps his reps, and there aren't really any scenes with Bernie reacting to all that is going on, just a quick bit a dialouge. Then he's married to Kiki, then divorced immediately.
Old 05-31-19, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rocket-meh...

The movie was disappointing. I love Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection and Honky Chateau are two Top 25 All-Time albums for me, and quite frankly Taron Egarton was MAGNIFICENT. He channeled Elton John in both acting and singing(!) so perfectly, I never felt I was watching pastiche or caricature. This was a knockout, brilliant performance. You were literally watching Elton John come to life.

The rest of the movie though... ugh. It could have been SO. MUCH. BETTER.The narrative never flowed. Any scene with momentum started to build, slowly, and when the music swelled and the visuals followed and it was about to reach crescendo... it suddenly just stopped flat. Over and over again.

The movie sputtered. The direction and editing was uneven. In the hands of a more visionary director who understood how to build fantasy sequences that reflected the emotional content of the music in relation to conveying the urgency of the narrative, this would have been a masterpiece. I'm thinking what Julie Taymor brought to "Across The Universe" or Damien Chazelle with "La La Land".

"Rocketman" didn't quite know how to tell the story it was telling. It jumped around from scene to scene with no sense of drive or conviction. As if the film were saying "Hey doesn't this look cool? Isn't the music magnificent, doesn't it make your heart swell? Don't the visuals look great and move you and bring you into the scene? Right? WELL TOO BAD, LET'S SHIFT IMMEDIATELY TO ANOTHER TIME AND PLACE..."

Say what you want about "Bohemian Rhapsody" (I enjoyed it, flaws and all, and it was a better movie than this one) but for whatever portion that shitbag Bryan Singer directed, they knew how to TELL a compelling story. And there WAS one here. It just got lost in bad direction.

5 out of 10 for me. Egarton's performance (along with those of Jamie Bell, and Richard Madden), the iconic and unforgettable music, and some of the striking imagery are the standouts.
Old 06-02-19, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Absolutely. Way better than Bohemian. Egerton was fantastic and sings his stuff. There are scenes where he was a spitting image of Elton.
I agree with all that. Really enjoyed it. Great visuals and an amazing performance by Egeton.
My only critique is I didn't think the relationships were that fleshed out. He gets involved with Reid, dumps his reps, and there aren't really any scenes with Bernie reacting to all that is going on, just a quick bit a dialouge. Then he's married to Kiki, then divorced immediately.
It wasn't to Kiki. And it was almost that short a marriage.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...-renate-blauel
Old 06-02-19, 06:08 AM

Exactly. So quick I didn’t event remember who to.
Old 06-02-19, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So....

Which movie is more sexually explicit:

Rocketman or Boheman Rhapsody?
Old 06-03-19, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the movie was really good...I had NO idea going in that it was a full-blown musical - I thought it was just going to be a bio-picture. I agree that it's WAY better that Bohemian Rhapsody and Egerton does a FAR better/believable performance as John than Malek did as Mercury. He deserves an Oscar nod...not sure if he'll get one, but he sure deserves one. Best performance I've seen so far in 2019.
Old 06-03-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe View Post
So....

Which movie is more sexually explicit:

Rocketman or Boheman Rhapsody?
Rocketman. Not that it's explicit at all, but there is a tasteful love scene in it, as opposed to Bohemian Rhapsody where the most racy it ever gets is maybe having Freddy shoot a look at a trucker at a rest stop.
Old 06-04-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Rocketman. Not that it's explicit at all, but there is a tasteful love scene in it, as opposed to Bohemian Rhapsody where the most racy it ever gets is maybe having Freddy shoot a look at a trucker at a rest stop.
Yeah, it's a scene that would be PG in any other movie, but the MPAA probably gave it an R because it was two guys.
Old 08-10-19, 08:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Rocketman...This was freaking fantastic. Like above, had no idea this was billed as fantasy musical. Just brilliantly done and knowing his songs like I do makes it so much better. Tiny Dancer is one of favs of all-time. Granted it was bc of Almost Famous, but still. His songs are legendary. Had no idea till credits that Taron did his singing. Perhaps tweaked, but great nonetheless. Knew Bell was singing. This was different, this was so well made, done, acted, directed, sung. Hated it had to end.

I really hope it gets remembered come Oscar time.

Why May release? Biopics are always Oscar bait. Couldn’t they have waited till Fall, more Thanksgiving? I guess wouldn't have made the money it did then, but I think Oscars for sure.

This was like a fusion of dramatized bio-pic and full on musical. The numbers were so well choreographed. Can really see this as a play as well. Some of movie played out like it could be. Just one of the better biopics in some time. Wish it touched on his success more now with Lion King and all plays he writes and songs for them. Well him and Bernie of course. But know more the early life. Really unexpectedly loved this.

4 Stars
Old 08-10-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Rocketmanhad no idea this was billed as fantasy musical.
It's stated right in the thread title.
Old 08-11-19, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
It's stated right in the thread title.
well, yes, i see that now, obviously. but, i was never really interested in the movie and didn't notice this thread title. the trailers certainly don't make it seem as such. sure, there are his songs, but didn't, to me anyway, look like it was a fantasy musical biopic. i thought like Ray or Walk the Line or something. not a mix of La La Land, Greatest Showman, and any other good biopics based on a musician.

my mom is huge fan, i certainly like his songs. as i said, TD one fav of all time. but, family were all eating dinner last night and decided to watch, despite my mom's hesitation bc in her words she doesn't like biopics of people she really likes played by other people. she mostly just likes documentaries on them.

but we all saw it and we all loved it and i really hope Oscar remembers a lot of what came out of this. $200 million WW ain't shabby...
Old 08-11-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
well, yes, i see that now, obviously. but, i was never really interested in the movie and didn't notice this thread title. the trailers certainly don't make it seem as such. sure, there are his songs, but didn't, to me anyway, look like it was a fantasy musical biopic. i thought like Ray or Walk the Line or something. not a mix of La La Land, Greatest Showman, and any other good biopics based on a musician.

my mom is huge fan, i certainly like his songs. as i said, TD one fav of all time. but, family were all eating dinner last night and decided to watch, despite my mom's hesitation bc in her words she doesn't like biopics of people she really likes played by other people. she mostly just likes documentaries on them.

but we all saw it and we all loved it and i really hope Oscar remembers a lot of what came out of this. $200 million WW ain't shabby...
It's currently at 186M worldwide. Has it opened in all markets? It's such a shame it didn't do "Bohemian Rhapsody" level business. It's only 10 x better. I watched "Rhapsody" again recently for the second time. While it's certainly a glossy film with a great lead performance, the movie just felt so empty.

Old 08-11-19, 12:36 PM

i was rounding up. yes, BR was empty and didn't like it as much as many, certainly not as much as this and thought the performances in this were better...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.