Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gravity (Cuarón, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Gravity (Cuarón, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
38.24%
28.82%
20.59%
5.29%
2.35%
0.59%
1.18%
0.59%
0%
0.59%
1.76%
Up, up and away in my beautiful balloon...
0%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Gravity (Cuarón, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Old 10-04-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts
Re: Gravity (Cuarón, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

We're seeing this tomorrow night in 3-D. People are saying that the 3-D is Hugo, Avatar, and Life of Pi good.

We shall see.
Old 10-04-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Lara Means
I believe the only digital imax 3D screen playing Gravity is the one in Georgetown.
Yup, seeing it at Georgetown.
Old 10-04-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomOpus
When I see again, at the IMAX 3D theater where I saw it, they also have it in Atmos RealD 3D. Maybe I can compare the 3D. Thankfully the Atmos theater's screen is only slightly smaller than the IMAX screen.
Similar to my theater, Gravity is also playing in Atmos Dolby Digital 3D in addition to the IMAX 3D presentation. That might be my next screening...
Old 10-04-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
We're seeing this tomorrow night in 3-D. People are saying that the 3-D is Hugo, Avatar, and Life of Pi good.
I was pretty underwhelmed with the 3-D in Avatar and remember wishing I had gone to see the 2-D version about a half a dozen times during the movie. Hopefully I feel differently tomorrow night.

Edit: The only 3-D movie I have gone to see since the recent resurgence in 3-D has been Avatar. I was so underwhelmed that I have been kind of avoiding them since then.
Old 10-04-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Also remember this film is only an hour and a half long. It's not the eye straining 3 hours that Avatar was. Gravity also doesn't spend the entire run time with quick edits and nonstop action that put your brain on overload. I can understand how some 3D movies can put a strain on ones eyes but this film didn't have that effect (for me, at least).
I thought about that too, but honestly 3D starts to bug me just 5 minutes in so far in just about every movie i've seen. Avatar was the most effective, and even then I didn't feel it provided a more immerse experience for me. Although I also can't see those 3D pictures on paper or get used to the 3DS.
Old 10-04-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1541123/ Apparently this exists, and was first shown in Feb of 2012
Old 10-04-13, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
My 80-year-old co-worker saw it and she said, "Technically, I'm sure it was quite remarkable, but there wasn't much plot, just a lot of flying around in space." She saw it in 3-D and "that was the best part of it, but a half-hour would have been just fine."

On Sandra Bullock's character: "It's really all about her. She's more of a scientist and I supposed she's had some training [as an astronaut], but then she does all of this...stuff. Give me a break!"

Maybe not the demographic of this board, but a minority opinion nonetheless.
After seeing the movie either your co-worker napped during parts of the movie or she suffers from short-term memory loss. Several times her character talked about going through simulations and also pulled out the SOPs for specific procedures. She didn't just do stuff.
Old 10-04-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

She was 80, and Bullock doesn't once cook a bountiful dinner in this movie.
Old 10-04-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I thought about that too, but honestly 3D starts to bug me just 5 minutes in so far in just about every movie i've seen. Avatar was the most effective, and even then I didn't feel it provided a more immerse experience for me. Although I also can't see those 3D pictures on paper or get used to the 3DS.
I saw Avatar twice in 3D, once in IMAX 3D and once in RealD. The IMAX 3D was far better in terms of the 3D effect whereas I thought the RealD presentation was more flat and generally unimpressive.

The films that I've seen look great in 3D are few and far between. Based upon 3D films I've caught in theaters, the only ones I can state that were worth the "up-charge:"
  • Dredd
  • Final Destination 5
  • Gravity
  • The Great Gatsby
  • The Hobbit (specifically in HFR 3D)
  • Hugo
  • Jurassic Park
  • The Life of Pi
  • Step Up 3D
  • Titanic (specifically in IMAX 3D with the 1.7:1 AR)
I'd say honorable mentions would also go to Nitro Circus: The Movie, Katy Perry: Part of Me, and Jackass 3D. However, those three films were a mix of 2D and 3D footage... and honestly, nobody should have to subject themselves to the miscarriage of a film that was Nitro Circus: The Movie.

On that note, I've seen a lot of garbage in 3D that made no use of the effect. That goes for films natively shot in 3D, films that were post-converted, and films that were animated and rendered in 3D.
Old 10-04-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D and it didn't exactly wow me, same with Dredd in RealD. So I guess that's that
Old 10-04-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D and it didn't exactly wow me, same with Dredd in RealD. So I guess that's that
It also depends on theater conditions. Not every 3D presentation for the same film will be the same. You have to think about...
  • The age of the projection system being used. Example, I avoid the local AMC theater in town that use six-year-old Christie projectors that cause constant ghosting in 3D.
  • The settings of the projection system being used. Example, is brightness turned all of the way up? Brightness is key in terms of a successful 3D presentation and most theaters tend to be cheap.
  • The format 3D is being used in. RealD and IMAX 3D utilize silver lining screens alongside specific lenses on the projector. Dolby Digital 3D utilize specific glasses that do the polarization alongside specific lenses. Is XPAND (active 3D) still in business? God, I hope not. Either way, each film has to be properly configured for each method. While RealD is the industry standard, filmmakers sometimes prefer Dolby Digital 3D. Everyone hates XPAND.
  • Does the projectionist and/or movie theater know what they're doing? Most times this question will be a no. A hard no. Not even a gray area, a definite no.
3D has, for the most part, failed as:
  • Studios and theaters tried to force it down the consumers' throat, at an up-charge no less. Gravity is the first film I can recall in a while that has more 3D showings than 2D.
  • Studios did not put out quality 3D. For every one film that is deserving to be seen in 3D, there are nine other films that look like shit in 3D and were only doing it as a cash grab.
  • In the end, there was no quality control. Both do to studios and theaters.
3D presentations work better in the home environment as you have one-hundred percent control the environment, but most importantly, the brightness is far greater on your LCD or Plasma than your normal DLP projector.

TL;DR: Movie theaters and studios are losing money because they hire are fucking retards retarded.
Old 10-04-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I lived and frequently went to one of the legit IMAX theaters when I lived in Irvine. That wasn't the issue.

And I've purchased nice 3d TVs for work, from different manufacturers. Still dislike it.
Old 10-04-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I lived and frequently went to one of the legit IMAX theaters when I lived in Irvine. That wasn't the issue.

And I've purchased nice 3d TVs for work, from different manufacturers. Still dislike it.
Get LASIK?
Old 10-04-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

After seeing it in 2D, and not generally being a fan of 3D, I still kinda wish I'd seen it in 3D. Might catch it again in Imax 3D.
Old 10-04-13, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

4 1/2 stars, but very close to perfect.

Watching this in IMAX 3D provided one of the most tense, horrific experiences cinema can offer. If Clooney wasn't around to provide a little levity, I would have fainted from holding my breath so much.
Old 10-04-13, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best cinema experience in years.

I am not a big fan of 3D in movies, there are some that do it well, yes, Avatar, but mostly it's a gimmick I can do without. Gravity maybe makes the best use of 3D of any movie. Visually it's an incredible achievement.

Sandra Bullock seems to be a very likeable person, i enjoyed some of her earlier movies like Demolition Man and Speed but after that she pretty much stared in movies I didn't really care for. I really liked her in this one, all emotional lifting was done by her and she did it very well. I probably liked it enough to say it was actually the performance she would deserve that Oscars for.

Spoilery: Love how the Kowalski character was established and played to work very well in the 'dream' sequence. Throwing the fire extinguisher into space just to get that little nudge to reach the station was a great touch.

Last edited by Patrick_N; 10-05-13 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-04-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This isn't going to be very popular - from Letterboxd:

There's no denying that the strong points of Gravity are big highs. Specifically, there are several scenes with tremendous amounts tension where I found myself thinking "Wow this is intense". The intensity results from a combination of the acting, camerawork, and sounds / music - all of which work in unison nicely.

Unfortunately, in between these moments, I found the script and characters to be subpar. On the script front, the dialogue felt very forced at times, with jokes falling flat and stories making me think "ummm...ok, this really isn't that interesting". There is also a random scene that comes out of left field in the third act which kind of annoyed me and I did not think fit the story at all. The characters, while minimal in quantity, are unrelatable to each other and the audience, making them simply not engaging. I should note the weakness is not due to any of the performances, which I had no issues with. Rather, it's the lack of relationship and camaraderie established between the characters. I wish this was different because while I praised the film's highs earlier, they would have been even better if I cared more about the characters involved in these situations.

Visually the film is good - I did not think 3D was necessary or really helpful. I think you must watch it on a large screen though. Score and sound were fine, but nothing to really write home about.

Overall, Gravity, while a good film, did let me down a little bit (perhaps my anticipation was too high). If you're a technical marvel junkie then this is a must-watch and I think you'll really enjoy it. If you're more into characters and script, I still recommend checking out in theaters, but with expectations at bay.

7 out of 10
Old 10-04-13, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Despite any reservations I might have mentioned in my review, if you're a movie fan, you need to see this in the theater and preferably on as large of a screen as possible.
Old 10-04-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Patrick ... may want to spoiler that last line
Old 10-04-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoilery question

Spoiler:
When George Clooney and Bullock use his jetpack to get to the space station, he describes it as a "hike". Any idea how far it was? I have no means for guessing? I suppose we could guess how quickly jetpacks move and multiply by the rough 1.5 hours.
Old 10-04-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
If you're more into characters and script.......
Yes I am so I guess I will have to wait for Blu-Ray.

Originally Posted by gp1086
Despite any reservations I might have mentioned in my review, if you're a movie fan, you need to see this in the theater and preferably on as large of a screen as possible.
I am a movie fan but technology & SFX do not trump story & characters

Last edited by inri222; 10-04-13 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-04-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What 3D previews are shown? I'm guessing The Hobbit 2 is one of them?
Old 10-04-13, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
What 3D previews are shown? I'm guessing The Hobbit 2 is one of them?
The Hobbit 2 was the only 3D trailer shown at my screening last night but there were several 2D trailers shown before we put on the 3D glasses.
Old 10-04-13, 06:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

My IMAX screening had 3 or 4 trailers, but they were all in 2D, despite the fact that they were all films being released in 3D. Fail.
Old 10-04-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

I thought the character development was fine. You learn enough during the course of the movie to get it. Neither character knew much about the other. They learn as we learn. Anything at the beginning of the movie would've just started things off too slow. Shit happens fast for us and the astronauts. A mundane repair spacewalk becomes anything but. One thing I liked is how one feels like you're there with them. Look at the one scene where...
Spoiler:
The camera closes in on Sandra's face and we actually go inside of her helmet. The camera turns and we see exactly what she's seeing. It's quite a shot

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.