Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stargate: The Reboot (Emmerich) - News, Rumors, Cast

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stargate: The Reboot (Emmerich) - News, Rumors, Cast

Old 06-30-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Stargate: The Reboot (Emmerich) - News, Rumors, Cast

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Some elements in Avatar but then there are tall blue people, and the silly plot. Blue people are analagous to humans with plastic stuck to their face to make them look alien.
Old 02-03-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

'Stargate' Remake Finds Its Writers (Exclusive)
4:38 PM PST 2/3/2015 by Borys Kit

Stargate, the relaunch of the 1990s Roland Emmerich sci-fi film property from MGM and Warner Bros., has found its writers.

Nicolas Wright and James A. Woods are in final negotiations to pen the script of what is intended to be the first of a trilogy that Emmerich is slated to direct.
Dean Devlin, who co-wrote the original movie with Emmerich, is producing.

The duo are relatively new writers and they recently worked with Emmerich writing on Fox’s Independence Day 2, with the studio greenlighting the movie off their draft. Emmerich warmed up to Wright and Woods when his Centropolis Entertainment banner picked up a secret action thriller from the duo.

Stargate told of the discovery of a circular device that creates a wormhole allowing for scientists and military person to a distant world, where they discover an enslaved people who are descendants from ancient Egyptians.

The movie, which starred Kurt Russell and James Spader, launched several TV series.

Wright and Woods are repped by WME. Wright is additionally repped by Mel McKeon and Laura Meyones at McKeon-Myones Management. Woods is managed by Christina Karakasidis at Thruline Entertainment.
Old 02-03-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,188 Likes on 2,056 Posts

James A. Woods?!

Ooh, piece of candy...ooh, piece of candy...
Old 11-21-16, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

The remake of Stargate is not happening, and we know why: exclusive

Oh, Stargate, why hast thou forsaken us? Despite the fact that that 1994 film from director Roland Emmerich and writer/producer Dean Devlin gave us three live action and one animated television series, plus a wide variety of novels and comic books that fans happily consumed, the franchise now seems to feel too above us to give any more. This despite the fact we’d been teased with rumblings of MGM and Warner Bros partnering with Emmerich and Devlin for a brand new trilogy. But now, in an exclusive interview with Empire, Devlin reveals that plans for a remake have fallen through.

“It looked good for a couple of months, but now it’s not looking so good,” offers Devlin, guiding force of The Librarians television series, returning for its third season next week. “There are just a lot of things that have to fire at the same time, and there was a moment where I thought it was all firing at the same time, and then it all kind of fell apart.”

He attributes much of the blame to the current system of moviemaking, where everything is driven by numbers and a desire for the idea of a franchise without the same sort of attention being paid to the product itself. “It’s one of the reasons I prefer to work independently,” he says. “Listen, I think if we did Stargate right, the fans would like it and we could do something really good. But if we screw it up, they’ll reject it. As they should. But I kind of don’t want to do it if I think that we’ll screw it up, and that’s one of the things that’s holding us back.”

The original Stargate was actually produced independently without the backing of a major studio, which granted the filmmakers an extraordinary amount of freedom. Today, Devlin notes, the situation would be very different: “You’d have several studios involved and a lot of voices and, you know, you may make something great, but you also may have something that doesn't resemble what you wanted to do. That kind of ‘collaboration’ is a terrifying aspect of the whole thing.”
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/n...now-exclusive/
Old 11-21-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good. People liked Stargate because of the shows, not the movie.
Old 11-21-16, 10:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Opposite for me, I liked the movie more. Tried the shows, bailed after a few episodes on each series. Could have cared less if they actually did a reboot, I probably wouldn't have watched it.
Old 11-21-16, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like the movie and the various series. Don't have a problem with a remake/reboot... these aren't works of art. The concept and execution weren't exactly original.

Might be more interesting if they adapted some of Andre Norton's shared-universe stories involving Stargates. If any SF author ever wrote stories that could be easily adapted to movies, it was Norton.
Old 11-21-16, 08:36 PM
Banned

I enjoyed the early seasons stopped watching it after some point for some reason. I think the show was better than the film. I mostly enjoy the film for Russell though.
Old 11-22-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by uberjoe
As much as I enjoyed the movie way back when, nothing in that film - and nothing they could put in any sort of reboot - will ever measure up to the television scene of O'Neill and Teal'c hitting golf balls into an open stargate.
"In the middle of my backswing???!!!???"

Great stuff!

Now that the reboot is dead maybe we can get more Stargate TV...
Old 11-22-16, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Like the movies and liked the shows. A new movie always seemed to be limited to me. I'd be down for more TV adventures though.

Something more modern, with a better budget and not trying to be dark and gloomy or Battlestar Galactica.
Old 11-23-16, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
Good. People liked Stargate because of the shows, not the movie.
There were way too many spin off shows that went on for way too long. The original was pretty good for the first 4 seasons or so.
Old 11-23-16, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
There were way too many spin off shows that went on for way too long. The original was pretty good for the first 4 seasons or so.
I disagree - SG-1 did have a couple mediocre seasons when RDA had his schedule cut, but when Ben Browder and Claudia Black came on board for the Ori storyline the show picked up again.

Atlantis was great throughout it's run.
Old 11-23-16, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The show suffered immensely from dragging out the Goa'uld far too long.
Old 11-23-16, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Liked the movie, never saw the shows.

The real reason the reboot was scuttled? Independence Day. They presented the same "trilogy" concept and it blew up in their faces.

He attributes much of the blame to the current system of moviemaking, where everything is driven by numbers and a desire for the idea of a franchise without the same sort of attention being paid to the product itself. “It’s one of the reasons I prefer to work independently,” he says.
Uh-huh.
Old 11-23-16, 08:57 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

I still think the bastards needed to finish Stargate Atlantis instead of leaving it hanging to pursue that POS Stargate Universe. At least do a movie/miniseries so they could wrap it up like they did with Firefly and Farscape.
Old 11-23-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I never did get around to season 5 of Atlantis. It's around here somewhere.
Old 11-24-16, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I disagree - SG-1 did have a couple mediocre seasons when RDA had his schedule cut, but when Ben Browder and Claudia Black came on board for the Ori storyline the show picked up again.

Atlantis was great throughout it's run.
I had bailed by the time Browder came aboard.
Old 11-26-16, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I never did get around to season 5 of Atlantis. It's around here somewhere.
I think I watched it. Some pretty big cast changes. If I recall, it ended without much of a cliffhanger. However, maybe that speaks to how little of an impression it had on me.
Old 11-26-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the movie, but completely hated the TV shows. I watched all TV shows, I just hated it.

As for new trilogy movies... Can't say that I'm looking forward to it. After seeing Independence Day Resurgence, it was just plain stupid.
Old 11-26-16, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I think I watched it. Some pretty big cast changes. If I recall, it ended without much of a cliffhanger. However, maybe that speaks to how little of an impression it had on me.
There was no cliffhanger. It got closure. Stargate Universe ended with a cliffhanger.
Old 11-27-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by McHawkson
I liked the movie, but completely hated the TV shows. I watched all TV shows, I just hated it.
So you watched 17 seasons(340 episodes, 255 hours) of television of shows you hate?

Cool story bro.
Old 11-28-16, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I also liked the original movie but couldn't get into the TV show. Tried a few different episodes but it never clicked for me.
Old 11-28-16, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loved the Movie and enjoyed the shows. I think a remake is not needed but I think that about most remakes.

I watched the new Ghostbusters this past weekend and am wondering why they thought that would be a good story to make.

I hate the concept of the new Start Trek movies ( but like the movies themselves) and dont consider them Start Trek at all since they take place in an alternate universe. And I really hate the pacing of them. It seems like everything in the new movies takes place within hours or days. I also have a problem with the idea that this Kirk went onto the ship in the first movie as a Star Fleet cadet and got of the ship a few days later as the captain of the ship. Never going to happen.

I also disliked the Battlestar Galactica remake. I thought that they could have worked in that universe using another ship.

It just seems that there is a serious lack of imagination and NEW ideas in Hollywood at this time so that have to mine my childhood and rape my favorite stories to get more money now.
Old 11-28-16, 02:53 PM
Banned

At the same time... ST would be dead w/o the reboot. Not to say that it doesn't have a hard time still existing either. ST essentially ran itself to the ground by never never doing much except for being boring. The new ST started off enough to where it became a viable franchise... which only kept going down by not doing much w/ itself either. Apparently, Beyond was pretty good and return to form of sorts but I think Into Darkness' marketing and the film itself, which was for the most part good but still unoriginal, kind of killed what Beyond could have had for being a quality flick. The flick didn't even make double it's budget... w/ international thrown into that too. Oooooof

Last edited by Solid Snake; 11-28-16 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-29-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
At the same time... ST would be dead w/o the reboot. Not to say that it doesn't have a hard time still existing either. ST essentially ran itself to the ground by never never doing much except for being boring. The new ST started off enough to where it became a viable franchise... which only kept going down by not doing much w/ itself either. Apparently, Beyond was pretty good and return to form of sorts but I think Into Darkness' marketing and the film itself, which was for the most part good but still unoriginal, kind of killed what Beyond could have had for being a quality flick. The flick didn't even make double it's budget... w/ international thrown into that too. Oooooof
Star Trek wouldnt have to be dead without the reboot. The multiple shows (next gen, deep space, Voyager and even Enterprise) show that there is a desire to see more of that universe even if it isnt Kirk and Spock. There are literally thousands of things and stories they could do in that universe. If they showed just a little imagination. Hell, I would like to see a story about a newly contacted and joined to the federation world that sends it youths to explore the Federation and Starfleet. Take a small group from this new world to see what their joining the Federation can mean for the individual and their world as a whole. Thats a 2 mins synopsis that has room for a 7 year show or at least a couple of movies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.